PDA

View Full Version : Isles of the Small Folk IC II

hoverfrog
2014-09-26, 06:09 AM
Previous Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?255159-Isles-of-the-Small-Folk-IC) OOC thread II (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?325161-Isles-of-the-Small-Folk-OOC-II)

Ben and Kevst reconvene back at their rooms to discuss their plans while the warriors, Artho and Devka, make their way back to town. Late that night the Artho and Devka reach the walls of Bashtown and their new acquaintance, Jaxmek, uses his authority to have the northern gate opened so that you are allowed in. Graorin slips past to find his friend Athedru, somehow having an unerring sense of where the lad is.

Dancing Shadows
2014-09-30, 10:22 AM
Devka turns towards the two who are still with him, "I need some place to rest." He squeezes his eyes shot as the wave of fatigue hits him again; trying to desperately to stay conscious until he can find a more convenient place to sleep. "Did our friends mention. If they knew an inn here? Or do you know a. Trustworthy place. Jaxmek?" He speaks falteringly; finding it painful and exhausting to speak.

Delia2531
2014-09-30, 10:48 AM
Ben waits in the common area, in a simple disguise, looking for signs of his friends returning from their trip. As they enter the building and find tables he makes his way across to them and sits with them.

"Well met my friends; rest easy for we are all friends here, islanders and those from farther afield. Why just this morning I made friends with a chap who claimed to have seen someone set fire to a whole boat of monsters and he still went aboard to save some hapless souls on board; have you ever had the pleasure of meeting such a fellow?" With a wink, Ben carefully allows his face (but not his clothes) to briefly show un-disguised to the small group.

"You look like a handy bunch of fellows and no mistakes; why don't you join my companions upstairs, we are always happy to hear stories from afar?"

Ben leaves the table and swings past the bar to pick up a couple of jugs and a tray of rolls to take to the room; making sure that the bar staff see him as Jenko to get the hospitality but trying not to have that face seen with the party.

hoverfrog
2014-10-01, 04:56 AM
"Only one place worth staying in for Jaxmek," the goblin indicates the large ruined pyramid in the centre of town. "Many rooms. Your friend with magic should stay away though," he indicated Groarin, "Only those of Empire standing have licence for magic. Others very bad. Forbidden. We can find who has magic on them using spell. People not last long if they be wizard rebels."

"Thank you for rescuing Jaxmek from hole in ground. Not so sure about fighting dead friends though. To make my report and return scrolls now I go. I feel certain that we will meet again in future time."

Mr.D
2014-10-03, 12:02 PM
Artho helps Devka into the common area, and down onto a stool. After Ben's surprise visit and introduction, it takes a second for it to sink before again stands up. He helps Devka to his feet and starts to lead him through the bar "Not much further Mr. Devka.."

They enter the room with Ben and he helps Devka to a bed. Turning to the others he grabs himself a mug of something cold and then sits heavily, drinking deeply from the mug. He sighs deeply "We fought undead Goblins. It did not go well. Wharrend got away. We must inform our Druid friend. And then leave, a Goblin helped us, he directed us here and is now reporting to his superiors."

Dancing Shadows
2014-10-06, 11:38 AM
Devka barely notices Ben revealing his identity to them and he almost falls asleep on the stool. With Artho's help he rises to his feet only just manages to stagger the rest of the way to the bed. He mumbles a thanks to Artho before he quickly sinks into blissful unconsciousness.

OzzyKP
2014-10-06, 12:17 PM
Kevst takes his usual circumspect approach to the bar as he has before. Coming in alone, sitting alone, and then following the others after enough time has passed to avoid suspicion. He observes them though and is aghast by the condition Devka has returned in. Dirty blood-soaked clothes, gashes across his face and visible limbs, the only color on his face is from dried blood and dirt - red specks on an inhumanly pale face. Artho didn't look great either. They were in strickingly poor condition, something that wouldn't escape the notice of other patrons. While concerned (relatively) for the well being of his companions, Kevst was suddenly afraid that their presence here would invite too many questions. Ben's indiscreet welcome too for these near death travelers could also cause complications. As he often did, Kevst wished he were alone.

Next he noticed that Graorin wasn't even there, Kevst was finally starting to warm up to the curmudgeonly giant. Did he even survive?

After waiting for a few minutes he made his way upstairs and joined the others, arriving just in time to hear Artho explain what happened. For an agonizing 7 seconds Kevst wrestled with whether not it was appropriate to respond with an 'I told you so' before reaching a decision.

"Well done Artho, you've proved me wrong. Going after this dead man wasn't a waste of time, it was worse than a waste of time. You two almost lost your lives on this fool errand, and where is Graorin? Did he perish in the battle? And to think that some of you," he glances over to the unconscious Devka, "wanted to charge in to battle against the entire Empire base, yet couldn't handle a fight with a man who is already dead?"

Continuing to look over at Devka he says, "Devka is in rough shape, I'm no doctor, but I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't make it through the night. He needs serious help."

"Can we stop with all the distractions and errands and focus on getting more information on the Empire that we can bring back?"

Delia2531
2014-10-07, 04:55 AM
"He's right, you guys look shocking; we'll have to deal with this Wharrend another time. I have a meeting with the Mayor, or is it the Governor, soon and he's likely to make me take a magic test. Athedru was with me last time and we can't afford for him to take the test so I'm just going to say that the Captain needed him back at the ship as they had an inventory problem, he was posing as my clerk who kept our manifest in his head.

This meeting is to see if we, Jenko Saltfoot and the crew of the Flaxen Maiden, will be allowed to join the local militia; that's those folks with the black spot armbands you'll see around town. Means you're an approved person and get better treatment in exchange for helping out with any problems the town might face. All endorsed by the Empire and used to support their aims and goals." when Ben says the name Jenko he re-adopts the appropriate disguise. Switching appearances at the appropriate time he continues,

"Now; Farn Stayright here has met Stone, he's a shady character but pretty tight lipped when it comes to the Empire; I'm sure he'd sell us anything we needed but I doubt he'd take a truly active step as it would affect his business selling contraband to the rich locals who like the thrill of pulling one over on the Empire whilst seemingly complying." Ben returns to his normal appearance and continues,

"I think that either I need to keep that appointment, or we need to get out of town. Jenko can't stand the guy up and stick around in town, but I'm not sure where it will lead if we go through with it. We might be able to infiltrate their activities and find out enough to help the islands but we might have to do some unsavoury things along the way. I was thinking that I could go to the meeting, get some basic information as a new joiner and then pass that on to Shorty as a gesture of goodwill and see what he can do for us. Otherwise we're back to it being just us sneaking about trying to find stuf out."

OzzyKP
2014-10-07, 08:40 AM
Kevst is still struggling to make sense of Ben's complicated plans, but says "I don't know anything about magic tests, but what if their fancy magic test detects your hat?"

Kevst was still curious what happened to Graorin and... come to think of it... Ever too.

Delia2531
2014-10-07, 09:45 AM
"Hmmm, I hadn't thought about that; perhaps that plan had better go on hold." Seeing Kevst distractedness, Ben realises that the group is not yet complete; "Did you get separated from Groarin and Ever, or have they stayed beyond the city walls for the night?"

Mr.D
2014-10-08, 07:35 AM
Artho's head hangs low. Partially from tiredness, partially from shame. He'd led them after Wharrend, and they'd suffered badly for it.

"Graorin set off to find Athedru. It sounds like Jenko should leave town" he looks over at Devka and shakes his head "We have some information. Perhaps we're safer working with Stone, since he seems less likely to do this...'magical testing'. Unless Shorty has some where around it. He's been operating here a while."

Mr.D
2014-10-17, 06:47 AM
Artho heaves a heavy sigh "..but perhaps we can discuss this later. For now I must rest." with that he walks to the nearest bed, dropping his pack heavily and removing his breastplate before falling onto the bed and almost immediately sleeping.

His dreams were filled with horrors. He was stood where they had fought the Goblins. But all around was darkness. He was surrounded by the sounds of mocking laughter, half-heard and strangely familiar voices whispered Oathbreaker.... Suddenly Wharrend was there, grinning a a smile that was all pointed death and madness. Wind began to howl but he could still hear the laughter, the whispers still cut through the din as the Restless Dead Halfling raised a hand. Ghoulish goblinoid monsters sprang up from the ground, half-rotten and with faces twisted into masks of hatred and psychosis. They danced around him, almost too quick to see, claws raking at him, teeth sinking into his flesh. His armour seemed to weigh him down, and he swung his Halberd, somehow too small and too heavy at the same time. Sluggish sweeps of the weapon came to nothing as the Ghouls moved like burs and tore at his body. He screamed and roared in anger but no sound came from his throat, he fell to his knees, bloodied and dying as he continued to flail desperately, feeling his life ebb away.

Suddenly a thick mist rolled in. Wharrend hissed and ran into the darkness, escaping. The other ghouls grew still, crouching and staring into the cloud as it enveloped them. Figures appeared as shadows in the grey swirls, armoured Halflings, they drew forth their weapons. glowing brightly the blades and maces, arrows and axes shone out through the mist. The ghouls screeched in fear as the light of the weapons burned them, and then the blows brought swift ends to their miserable existance. Artho knelt and watched, exalting in the deaths of the foul beasts. A figure approached through the mist. Slowly walking towards him, a staff of light in it's hand. As it drew closer the mist seemed to pour from the figures armour, but peeled away to reveal a face. His father. Looking down with his grim, determined face, he offered a hand. As Artho took it, he felt his strength return and he rose to his feet. Without a word his father offered the weapon of light, a glowing version of the Halberd Artho now weilds. Artho took it, and the light burned his eyes as he awoke.

Sitting up in bed Artho realises he's covered in sweat. Wiping his face with his hand he whispers "Mist protect us...."

OzzyKP
2014-10-21, 01:46 PM
"I think our best bet is to talk to Shorty again, tell him whatever you learned, Ben, and see if he has any ideas. Either way, he said he didn't know what kind of numbers the Empire has here, I think that is something we can find out. Figure out just who they have here, what they want, and then report back to Old Alk. Shorty said their numbers were small, if the Islanders can all raise a large force they can drive them back, perhaps for good."

Delia2531
2014-10-22, 08:40 AM
"I think you're right my friend, there is too much risk for the potential reward of getting in with the Mayor or Stone; we can leave town, head back to Shorty at the bar and try to get him on board again. The only issue is his insistence that we pay our dues in the organisation; but we'll just have to see what we can do.

I propose we get what rest we need here and then head on out of town."

OzzyKP
2014-10-22, 09:26 AM
"Who says we need to join his organization? Just because someone helps distract your mark, doesn't mean you become partners. We both have something the other one of us needs, we don't need to agree to some kind of formal allegiance to work together."

Delia2531
2014-10-26, 03:16 AM
"Once again you are right my friend, I've been trying to be too clever and gotten a little carried away. Shory wanted us to join before he would actively help us, but all we need to know is that he is distracting the Empire enough to prevent them focussing on spreading to the other islands. I think a trip back to catch up with him and convince him to keep up his efforts."

Delia2531
2014-10-30, 10:32 AM
"I think it's best if we leave; I'll head down as Jenko and make my excuses to the landlord that you were set about outside of town and I've been called back to the ship by the Captain as he wants everyone staying aboard from now on. That'll get us out from here without seeming to have abandonned the place. Kevst, I guess you can just up and leave as they think you are on your own anyway.

The rest of you, gather your stuff and follow on behind.

On the way out of town we can grab Groarin and hopefully he can heal Devka a bit to get us as far as the hostel. We can bunk down there, I'll meet back up with Shorty and see what we can work out. After that, we can formulate a plan; even if it is only to head home with what we know."

Dancing Shadows
2014-10-31, 07:34 AM
Devka, who had only managed a light sleep, is woken up by all this chatter in time to hear Ben discussing their course of action. Bleary eyed, he swings his legs over the edge of the bed and, with some effort, pushes himself to his feet. He grabs his axe and uses that to support his weight while he retrieves his pack and slings it over his shoulders. "Aye; I wouldn't mind some of that magic of his."

Mr.D
2014-11-03, 08:05 AM
Artho wakes slowly. Feeling better for resting but still groggy from his tumultuous dreaming. He nods to Ben's plan and gets dressed and ready as quickly as he can manage, which is somewhat less quick than usual. "Mr. Devka, pass me your pack, it will make the walking easier for you"

hoverfrog
2014-11-03, 11:00 AM
Your small group reaches the camp of Graorin and Athedru. It isn't far from the town itself though it has the distinct feel of a very temporary stop. The druid grumbles as you approach muttering something about eating all the breakfast and just wanting to be left alone. Athedru is pleased though and offers to get a fire going for a second breakfast.

With a bit of cajoling Graorin uses up his curative magic on the still injured Devka. "Thought we'd head back to Old Alk. Let them know what we've found out so far."

Cure Light Wounds [roll0]

Dancing Shadows
2014-11-04, 12:13 PM
Devka grunts a thanks to Graorin and he sees some of the smaller scratches seal up and quickly takes up the offer of a second breakfast. He nods in response to the druid's suggestion, "We have enough information to be useful. From what I understand there are still a couple of people we need to speak to first." He takes a large mouthful of his food and whilst chewing continues, "But then we can report back to them and see if we can find a way to start annoying the Empire."

OzzyKP
2014-11-06, 12:37 PM
"Good," said Kevst, "After all this time I'm sure they are wondering what is happening. The sooner they can send help, the better."

Kevst wasn't happy to see his friend leave, but despite his talents, he knew this was no place for him. It would take Athedru a while to get over what happened on the ship. Kevst would hate for him to freeze up or freak out at a critical moment. Plus, if Graorin went back on his own Kevst had no confidence he would actually bother to tell anyone about what they saw. He'd probably just go back to his cave. Athedru would make sure that everyone heard their report.

Delia2531
2014-11-06, 02:25 PM
Whilst the group settle down for their meal, Ben pulls some parchment, ink and quills from his pack and starts to write up some notes

To the Mayor of Old Alk, From Benjamyn Alkton of the Old Alk Irregulars.

Ben sets out what has happened to the group so far, in so far as it relates to their journey and brushes with the Empire including the events in Bridge.

He gives the facts they have established and clearly sets out his opinions on the options available as well as naming Shorty and Stannon as unlikely allies. He finishes with the statement that the remainder of the group are looking to find out more and ideally disrupt the enemies preparations as well as giving the hostel's location as somewhere the group can be contacted through and asking that they be kept informed of any friendly forces coming this way.

"My friends, as sad as I am to see our group part company at this juncture, you are right, we do need to tell people what is happening and give them time to prepare. I have written everything out as best I can so that you do not have to rely on your memories; guard this note well as it names those who are friends and foes of the Empire and would do little good if it were to fall into the wrong hands."

With that, Ben folds the note seals it with a little wax and presses his thumb to the seal to fix it.

"Hopefully we will all see you again, either in Old Alk or elsewhere. Travel well my friends!"

With that, Ben shakes hands with each of the two leaving the party, turning it in to an embrace with Athedru saying;

"Stay strong my friend, we have come far and done much but I need you to get this message back home for us otherwise this is all for nothing! May the Mists protect you."

Mr.D
2014-11-07, 08:12 AM
Artho happily lets down Devka's pack and his own before gratefully accepting some food. After eating, he too shakes the hand of each of the leaving members,

To Graorin "Mr. Graorin, I have no doubts that you will take great care of young Mr.Athedru. Perhaps now you have also seen how you could help our people, and why."

To Athedru "Mr. Athedru, I know you're journey here was particularly arduous. It is a shae that even the gentlest of our people may perhaps have to take up arms and fight. The loss of our innocence could perhaps be the greatest casualty we face should we continue to battle the Empire. Good luck my friend, and keep safe.

Afterwards he turns to Ben "Might I borrow your writing materials? We should get a message to Mr. Eldon the Druid about the run in with Wharennd and it's outcome" taking up the paper and quill Artho begins writing, trying to hide the true meaning of his words lest the note should fall into the wrong hands.

Dear Mr. Eldon

Whilst walking in the area north of your home my companions and I happened upon our mutual friend Wharrend. I am sad to say that he seems to be spending time with some rather unseemly individuals these days. After we convinced them to allow us to speak to him alone we were unfortunately unable to convince him to come visit with you as we had hoped. He did however show us a most wonderful trinket he had recently acquired locally, a type of glowing orb! Have you ever heard of such a thing? When we parted ways he did not tell us where he was going, but perhaps you have some idea as you know him better than I.

Your Friend,
Artho Standfast

He finishes the note with details of the hostel. "Perhaps Shorty can have this delivered for us?"

Delia2531
2014-11-20, 12:04 PM
As Graorin and Athedru head off, Ben begins to gather up the few things of his that are lying around before indicating in the direction they need to go.

"So, off we go to see Shorty and see what we can get him to do. After that, we might need to see about drumming up some new comrades if we want to do anything more than follow our two friends back home."

Seeing that everyone is ready, Ben leads off towards Shorty's last known location a gleam in his eye and a spring in his step at the thought of a the warmth of the beds, and their occupants, that lay awaiting them.

Glancing over to Kevst, he says "another chance to see our lady-friends at least, eh?"

hoverfrog
2014-11-23, 04:18 AM
You reach Bev's Hostel without incident but find the windows shuttered, the main door locked and a red paint daubed all over it is an unsteady hand. "Under investigation" and "Closed by order of the Empire" give you the best idea of what has happened. The paint is still wet to the touch. A pair of ugly half orcs walk round the corner of the building, they seem to be patrolling the hostel perimeter, and offer you toothy and unpleasant grins, "No whores fer you today, stumpies. Them's all locked up inside an' being questioned. Time to go. Maybe the whorehouse will open tomorrow. Go on, sod off wiv ya."

The pair of bruisers approach with a confident swagger. They're wearing studded leather jerkins and carrying wooden clubs which they smack into their open palms almost in unison.

Mr.D
2014-11-26, 07:36 AM
Artho's hands grip his weapons tightly and his teeth clench Arrongat green skinned monsters! How dare they imprison our people!.....but the last fight I started almost got Mr. Devka and I killed. I can't risk that happening now, not while they have hostages....

He turns to his allies but keeps his eyes on the Orcs and his voice low "Perhaps it would be best to avoid any attention for now..."

Delia2531
2014-11-26, 01:52 PM
Hoping that his diminutive friend was being his usual discrete self, Ben tries to subtly indicate to Kevst to stay hidden and head round the back.

sleight of hand [roll0]

"Easy there my friend, we're just some weary travellers looking for a place to rest for the night away from the bustle of town."

Bluff [roll1]

OzzyKP
2014-11-26, 02:11 PM
Kevst didn't need any signal from Ben to know to do. He had been barely containing his excitement to be back here and able to see Xin again. But now he was not only blocked from seeing her, she may very well be in danger. He had to do something. Artho, who charged heedlessly into battle on some fool errand was now ready to slink away now that people were in danger. Kevst couldn't wrap his head around him. No matter, this is a time for stealth anyhow, Artho would only cause problems. Kevst knew he had to get inside. He wasn't entirely sure what he'd do when he got in there, he just knew that is where he needed to be.

While Ben distracted the guards, Kevst quietly snuck around back. He looked for a door, window, hole or other entrance he could crawl through. Cautiously he considered his options and watched and listened to see what would be the safest way inside the building.

Hide: Take 10 + 14 = 24
Move Silently: Take 10 + 12 = 22

hoverfrog
2014-11-27, 06:42 AM
The half orcs look a bit confused when Ben addresses them. "I ain't ya friend, shorty. I didn't say what you wuz doin' 'ere. I sez that you ain't comin' in. Whorehouse is closed. Get it?" The larger of the pair approaches Ben and thumps his club into his hand again. "Now, does I needs to send a message 'ere or are you gonna sod off?"

The other half orc laughs, "Go on, Glak, smash his head in. Teach da little bleeder a lesson."

Glak, the larger of the pair glares at his companion, "Shut yer trap, Durn, I's in charge out here. You ain't tellin' me what ta do's."

--

Round the back of the hostel Kevst glides quietly. There are balconies and windows above for those clients who like to look at the trees to the south and there is a large cellar door for ale deliveries. There is also a side door to the kitchen and a path leading to a compost heap some fifty feet from the building. The ground floor has several windows but they are shuttered and dark. Any of them could be opened easily enough. In addition there is a small pond not far to the south that steams with heat from somewhere. Perhaps it joins the pools in the caverns below Bev's.

Delia2531
2014-11-27, 11:39 AM
"Now, now fellas; no need to get rough; we can tell when we're not welcome. It was certainly nice to meet you and we wish you well." Ben steps forward to shake hands with the Orc, Durn and stepping close says in a quiet voice, "I can see you are the real power here; I wouldn't put up with that if I were you; just something to think about." before stepping back. Glancing briefly over the shoulder of the Orc before turning round he spots a suitable rock. As he turns he mutters under his breath and gives his fingers a subtle wiggle. He then reaches to shake hands with the first Orc, Glak, "thanks again for being so reasonable." As he starts to walk away he sends the rock flying towards Durn from behind, not actually caring if it makes contact only wanting it to draw his attention. As it flies past the Orc's face he waits for a response from the pair, I hope that Artho is ready!

Diplomacy roll on Durn - [roll0]
Casts mage Hand
Attack with improvised range weapon (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/MSRD:Improvised_Weapons) (inc 10' = -4 to attack) - [roll1]
Damage (although I only want to hit him) - [roll2]

OzzyKP
2014-11-30, 03:59 PM
Kevst considered his options. For a long moment he looked south to the steamy pond. His love was down there somewhere, going directly to the caverns would be the most direct route. But despite his comfort in the water, the idea of navigating a dark, underwater passageway gave him chills. There is no telling how far he would have to swim till his next breath. It was just too dangerous.

He instead put his trust in his abilities to avoid detection, despite the many dangers that posed as well. He silently, cautiously opened a window just a crack. He peered in to make sure the coast was clear before he slipped inside and carefully closed the window behind him.

hoverfrog
2014-12-01, 09:42 AM
Sense Motive [roll0] to spot Ben's deception vs his Bluff [roll1]
Spot check [roll2] for the half orcs to see Ben's spell
Spellcraft [roll3] on the spell

Glak scowls at Ben's attempt to undermine his authority with Durn but turns away when you start to leave. As you start to cast your spell he turns back, "'Ere, what you doin?" Before you can answer the rock hits Durn in the back of the head and he begins to curse in his own language.

--

Round the back of Bev's, Kevst slides the shutters open and climbs in. He can hear voices not far away but there's nobody nearby. He finds himself in a curtained off area with chairs piled up for storage. Creeping to the edge he can peer out to see what's going on inside the common room.

Standing in the centre of the room, stooping to stop from bumping his head on the ceiling, is a tall human man in a long black cloak. Bev, several of the girls you saw yesterday, and some of the kitchen staff and seated on stools in front of him. Xin Xur'Fan is not there and neither is the girl that Ben went off with, Briony Rose. The guard, Mandy (whose real name was Armando), is sitting. There are bruises on his face and his shirt is ripped. Bev is sitting next to him looking even grumpier than normal. A half orc thug is standing by the from door and another by the kitchen door. Both are looking into the room rather than outside.

As you watch a third half orc enters the room from the stairs. He pushes Briony Rose in front of him and another human in a similar dark cloak follows. The redhead staggers slightly and several islanders move to help her but are warned by the first human, "Don't you people move. We don't want a repeat of what happened earlier." Briony Rose finds a seat and sits there sniffling as she looks down at her foot.

The first human looks at the second one to arrive and then nods towards Bev, "Enforcer Karvol, take the crone. See what she knows. Don't bother being gentle."

OzzyKP
2014-12-03, 04:18 PM
There is little Kevst can do here. Showing himself or making some move now would only get himself, and no doubt others, killed. He was both worried and hopeful that he didn't see Xin. He hoped she had found safety inside the caverns. She knows them better than anyone. He looked around to see if he could find a clear path from where he was to the entrance to the caverns. He looked also to see if there was any way to get upstairs without being seen. He hoped she wasn't being hurt like the redhead.

hoverfrog
2015-01-12, 05:01 AM
From his vantage point at the back of the room Kevst notes that the stairway up is directly behind the tall humans and half orcs. The entrance to the tunnels and pools below is further back. He may be able to sneak down there without being seen but he'd need to be invisible for to reach the upper floor.

--

Outside as the orcish brutes continue their cursing and arguing you see a number of islanders heading towards Bev's. They're in small groups and don't look happy. Many of them are carrying clubs or slings and they seem to be working themselves up to violence.

OzzyKP
2015-01-12, 12:22 PM
Seeing a safe path to get to the pools, Kevst silently slinks around out of sight. He keeps his ears open for any conversation that may provide additional information about the Empire or what they are looking for here, but moving as swiftly and stealthily as he is able, he heads down the stairs for the pools where he suspects Xin may be.

Delia2531
2015-01-16, 11:21 AM
Seeing the groups approaching, Ben thinks well, we're hardly in a condition for a protracted fight but with this company it is probably time to act!

He shouts out to the orcs with a gesture towards the crowds, "Well boys, you had your chance; now it looks like my friends have decided that Bev's is indeed open for business. There is still a chance for you to escape with your hides, if not your pride, intact; go now and we few will turn a blind eye whilst we talk to our friends, but be warned if you stay there will be no quarter given and my friend here" with a gesture to Devka "will be wearing a fine, new orc-skin coat with matching boots by the evening!"

Diplomacy - [roll0]
followed by intimidation - [roll1] (any bonuses for the presence of the angry crowd?)

hoverfrog
2015-01-18, 05:20 PM
The half orcs back away in the face of Ben's aggressive stance and the mob behind him. Glak and Durn run to Bev's front door and hammer on it. A moment later the door opens and they barge in.

The mob arrives and encompasses the small group. People slap your shoulders and nudge you companionably, "We're gonna show 'em, eh? Taxes are one thing but nobody shuts down Bev."

--

Inside Kevst sneaks down the steps to the familiar pools. Before he reaches the bottom he hears a door slam above and frantic voices in a language he's not familiar with. Wavering about whether or not to return and listen, his attention is then drawn to the sound of splashing water. Looking across the dark and steamy room he sees a tall figure crouched over a smaller one. A man is holding onto Xin and shaking her. He draws back his hand and a moment later the chamber reverberates with a slap as he brings his hand down on her cheek. "Tell me, woman. Tell me who the rebels are."

Mr.D
2015-01-19, 07:46 AM
Artho's hope turns to worry as the half-orcs disappear inside, he turns to Ben "Blast! I had hoped they would flee, but now they have those inside as hostages" he takes a moment to look around and assess the situation "Mr. Ben I suggest you start negotiating, I'll try to organise this rabble into something useful ..."

He turns back to the rest of the group and raises his voice "Brothers! Islanders! Foreign forces have come and taken OUR PEOPLE by force. Holding members of the community that are respected by all against their will, with the threat of violence. This can not stand! It will not stand! I can see you have all come to help us in freeing them, that's good! You are all clearly upstanding citizens. I am Artho Standfast, the Boar of Bridge, step forward and let me see your weapons"

Diplomacy to swing the crowd - [roll0]
Spot to assess who's got what so he can try and organise the group (if they allow it) - [roll1]

Delia2531
2015-01-20, 03:40 AM
Seeing that Artho has not captured the crowd's hearts Ben checks his step and turns to face the large group.

"Citizens of Bashtown, my friends; we have started something here this morning. By standing up to support Bev's hostel you have shown the Empire that they have gone too far this time, that they do not understand the wishes of the people and that they have over-reached with their attempt to control our community and our lives. However; if we simply stand here congratulating ourselves on scaring off two orcs, not the brightest of fellows I might add, then all we have done is scare two orcs and send them inside to sit in the warm and possibly threaten our friends, and companions, Ben winks here inside. My good friend Artho here is a stout man at arms, and a great warrior; let him see what you have brought with you; a sickle, scythe, smith's hammer, even grandma's poker from the fireplace and your sister's fruit knife are all good in what we need to do here.

I sincerely hope that we can resolve this through a simple display of force and some strong words; you providing the former and I the latter; but if that does not suffice then a handful of these beasts are no match for such a group as us, armed and motivated by the protection of our friends and loved ones. Who knows what has been happening inside Bev's whilst these doors have been barred? Whilst I am hoping for a peaceful resolution, let me be clear; if Bev or any of her people have been harmed by this group they shall pay dearly. If as much as one hair on one head has been broken, or I see so much as a bruise on one cheek then we shall lay it to these ruffians and give them a taste of their own medicine.

Now, stand up straight and tall; be strong of limb and stout of resolve; we are here to protect our community.

Mr Artho, if you would be so kind as to arrange everyone in to as intimidating a group as possible I will take a moment to collect my thoughts before entering in to discussions with the fools who have locked themselves inside."

Please let this be a good diplomacy roll:
[roll0]

If Perform (oratory) would be a better skill Ben has that at +6 instead, I won't roll again though.

hoverfrog
2015-01-20, 07:13 AM
The crowd forms around Ben and Artho with a loud cheer. A young man, clearly a smith from his apron and the hammer in his belt, drops a crate on the ground and climbs up on top of it. "Good words, whoever you are. Good words, Artho Standast." He raises beefy arms for silence, "What these two say is true, we're not gonna stand for giants coming into our free town and telling us what to do. Not any more. We're gonna start by driving them away from Bev's place and then we're gonna march in and kick that pointy eared freak back into the sea where he came from."

His cajoling gets some loud support and he continues to rile the crowd up. "There's only a few of them and a lot of us. We can take them." He continues in a similar vein for several minutes before you spot another group of men heading towards you from the town. It looks like a group of islanders wearing the black spots on their arms. It is being led by Captain Terr Abendroth. It is the Island Auxiliary Volunteers and there look to be a dozen of them all armed with saps and stout staves. Your group outnumbers them about three to one.

OzzyKP
2015-01-20, 09:10 AM
Kevst carefully, and silently, creeps down the stairs. The steam from the pools soothes his nostrils. As relaxing as this spot was just a day earlier, it is now a place of terrible danger. The noise above underscores this point. Not sure what the commotion is, but fearful that they may have spotted him or his companions, he draws and loads his crossbow in one fluid motion. He considers whether to return up the stairs to listen or prepare for an attack, but is instead pulled away by the sound of splashing water. He creeps further down the stairs and sees a tall man assaulting the woman he came here to find. A girl he had entertained farfetched notions of welcoming to his private house on the beach one day.

His typically fearful self gave way to (or was combined with) rage at this attacker. His stomach turning over with anxiety and his head filling up with blood, he sent a crossbow bolt sailing toward this tall figure who dared to put a hand on this lovely girl. The nervous, angry mix of emotions swelling up inside of him did not make for the steadiest of shots. His bolt went wide. Sadly his element of surprise was lost and there was no where left to hide.

But he was still boiling over with enough rage that he wouldn't be able to hide right now anyhow. He shouted over, "You come all the way to these isles to beat up on a girl half your size? If this is how you get your kicks, you should have found some child back by your home to pick on. Here in the isles we may be small, but we don't put up with bullies."

All his rage from years of bullying was now spilling over. He wasn't going to let this continue any longer. He loaded his crossbow for another shot.

Kevst (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=442301)----------

AC: 17 (base 10, +2 armor, +4 Dexterity, +1 size)
HP: 17

Crossbow, Light: 1d6 damage, 19-20/x2 critical, range 80 ft

Crossbow attack: [roll0] (+2 BAB, +4 Dex, +1 Size, +1 Point Blank Shot)
Crossbow damage: [roll1] (+1 Point Blank, +2d6 sneak attack)

As a standard action, Kevst fires his crossbow at the man attacking Xin
Kevst uses his move action to load light crossbow

drat.

hoverfrog
2015-01-20, 05:45 PM
Kevst's bolt catches the tall, black robed man in the shoulder and he cries out and spins round to face the rogue. He curses in his own language as he pulls the bolt out and drops it to the ground, "Who in the Nine Hells are you?" He reaches into a bag at his belt and begins to chant.

Initiative [roll0]

OzzyKP
2015-01-20, 08:46 PM
"Someone who has had enough of bullies."

He punctuates his response with another crossbow bolt.

Then he says, "Xin, are you hurt? Get to safety!"

HP: 17

Crossbow, Light: 1d6 damage, 19-20/x2 critical, range 80 ft

Crossbow attack: [roll0] (+2 BAB, +4 Dex, +1 Size, +1 Point Blank Shot)
Crossbow damage: [roll1] (+1 Point Blank, +2d6 sneak attack)

As a standard action, Kevst fires his crossbow at the man attacking Xin
Kevst uses his move action to load light crossbow

double drat

hoverfrog
2015-01-21, 04:40 AM
This time the dark robed man dodges to avoid the bolt, with a smile he unleashes his magic with a flourish. A handful of rose petals fly from his hand and transform in the air to flutter around Kevst. They are somehow soothing and he feels sleep wash over him as the magic begins to take effect.
DC 13 Will save or fall asleep from the Sleep (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/sleep.htm) spell.
Could you roll initiative too.

Mr.D
2015-01-21, 07:49 AM
Artho starts to organise the motley crew into some sort of order, hustling them into making three lines"Right! Form up! Make rows...ROWS! Don't all bunch up. Short weapons to the outside lines, anything on a pole in the middle, if you don't have a weapon I can lend you a sword, DO NOT LOSE IT.....YOU! With the pitchfork, that's on a pole isn't it? IN THE MIDDLE! Do any of you have combat experience?"

By the end of his cajoling the group is organised into three rows in front of the Brothel, those with short weapons are on the outwards rows, one facing towards the Brothel, the other the oncoming group, with longer weapons in the middle. Once organised he takes a moment to speak to the Smith as he takes his place between the defeders and the approaching group "Thank you for your support, what is your name?"

hoverfrog
2015-01-21, 11:04 AM
"Smi," the smith answers Artho, "Smi Smith, my da had a sense of humour." He points to a small group of four who have no weapons at all, "You lot, gather up stones. You're our lobbers. Anyone gets too close you chuck a rock at them and then run back behind this lot."

Captain Terr Abendroth stops about 30 feet down the path with his men behind him, "Right, you reprobates. This gathering is against the order of the mayor. Disburse or you'll all face charges and fines."

Someone in the crowd yells out an insult. It is quickly taken up by others, "Traitor, bugger off."

Just then the door to Bev's opens and a tall, black robed figure steps out into the light. He's flanked by the two half orcs that you drove off a moment ago.

--

Underground and all alone Kevst slips unconscious.

He's woken up by someone punching him hard in the face. He's tied to a chair upstairs in the common room. The man he shot is standing in front of him, Kevst's own dagger in his hand. He can see his crossbow on a table behind him. Xin is sitting in the chair next to him, a dark bruise forming across half her face. "He m-made me tie you up. He s-said it w-was that or he'd k-kill you."

The main door opens and three of the room's occupants leave.

OzzyKP
2015-01-22, 11:19 AM
"Ow"

Kevst was groggy and confused and hurting. Xin's words only starting to register.

"Wha... what happened?"

He tried to touch his aching face, but his hands are tied behind his back in a painful position. He struggled against the ropes, trying to release himself.

Escape Artist roll: [roll0]

hoverfrog
2015-01-22, 06:59 PM
The wounded man in black robes lifts the blade to Kevst's chin as he starts to struggle, "Don't you move, little assassin. Missy here tied you up nice and tight. I made sure. Now, you are going to answer some questions, aren't you?" He has little choice but to still himself but even so he feels the ropes loosen suddenly. One good twist should free him easily. Xin must have done something to the rope to make it slip.

OzzyKP
2015-01-23, 09:31 AM
With the blade at his throat, Kevst tenses up and stops moving. He hated feeling trapped. He felt ashamed that he came to try and rescue Xin, but ended up captured too. What a fool he was.

Oh well, there was nothing he could do right now but play along. At least until he saw an opportunity to break out of the loose ropes. He was liking Xin more and more.

"Y.. yes..." he obediently said to the man.

hoverfrog
2015-01-23, 12:26 PM
"Good," he smiles cruelly, "Now, where can I find this Callum that is responsible for the fire on our building?"

OzzyKP
2015-01-23, 01:10 PM
Kevst thought about how to get out of this situation. Does he act helpless and compliant so the man lets his guard down? Does he insult him and act defiant so the man gets angry and sloppy? He really wasn't sure, but he just knew he wanted to see that blade go into the man's neck after seeing him smack around Xin.

He decided that regardless what would be most effective strategy, acting pathetic might not be the best way to win the favor of the sexy creature in the other chair. *sigh* defiant it is.

"How the hell would I know," he spits out, menacingly, "I've seen those brainless green-skinned creatures you keep around, maybe they set fire to your building on accident?"

Without being obvious about it, he keeps an eye on the dagger and any opportunity to spring from his ropes and attack.

hoverfrog
2015-01-25, 04:23 AM
Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=102523)

The man in front of you nods in agreement and then shakes his head, "No, they may be idiots but they know how to build and when not to set fires. It was your man, Callum, and his gang that set the fire. Now, where is he? Are you going to tell me or do I have to start cutting you?"

The half orc next to him scowls but says nothing.

OzzyKP
2015-01-27, 05:28 PM
"Well, I'd certainly prefer you didn't cut me, but Callum isn't 'my man' and I don't know where he is hiding. I'm new to this town, I don't know anything about fires, or gangs, or arsonist hide-out spots."

hoverfrog
2015-01-28, 06:27 AM
He turns to the half orc and says something in a language that you aren't familiar with. The burly thug cracks his knuckles and then punches you in the face...hard. Tied to the chair you're unable to move out of the way. The room spins and a moment later the greenskin is lifting your chair to stand it upright again. He must have knocked you over with his punch.

"We don't start with the cutting. That comes later for those who don't cooperate," the human smiles, "Now, tell me where I can find Callum and his hideout."

[roll0] for [roll1] non-lethal damage

OzzyKP
2015-01-28, 12:55 PM
"Whoa, whoa, hold on, there has been some kind of misunderstanding. Do I look like the sort of person that some big shot wanted arsonist would share the location of his secret lair with? I'm not even from here, I don't know anything!"

Kevst wished Ben were here, he was sure Ben could talk his way out of this. He thought now that maybe it was foolish to go in alone. Perhaps more foolish still to try attacking someone on his own. His strength was hiding, not talking. And certainly not withstanding torture... He hoped the others would find a way to bail him out.

Bluff: [roll0]
Fortitude: [roll1]
Will: [roll2]

hoverfrog
2015-01-28, 04:29 PM
Outside the black robed man raises his arms and shouts, "You will depart! This is Empire business. Leave or face the magic of the Empire." Lights play up and down his arms and energy crackles and pops around him. The half orcs on either side of him smack their clubs into their hands and growl intimidatingly.
It is fairly obvious to anyone with even one rank in spellcraft that he is using Prestidigitation to produce obvious magical illusions.

Mr.D
2015-01-29, 08:10 AM
Artho watches the magical display but then turns to shout at Captain Terr [COLOR="#000080"]"You have a choice. Stand with us against foreign invaders who have UNLAWFULLY captured our people, disperse yourselves and live the rest of your lives in knowledge you abandoned your fellow Islanders OR fight us, and be slain by your own brothers to serve the interests of an invading power.

I implore you to join with us, or at least step aside. We have witnessed the horrors this Empire can bring, and we have slain their great warriors. I would rather not kill my own people"

Artho does his best to stand tall and finishes the speech by pulling down the visor of his helmet.

Mix of rolls to either scare them into going away or persuade them to join up
Initimidate - [roll0]
Diplomacy [roll1]

Delia2531
2015-01-29, 09:40 AM
hmmm, magic user eh? Looks pretty, but I'm willing to bet that's all!

See Artho addressing the gathering again, Ben takes a deep breath and mutters under his breath before taking a step forward once more so that he can be seen by both groups.

"Only the Empire uses magic, or so you tell us, then as I am not a magician me being able to do this must make it a cheap parlour trick."

Ben's arms glow and flash in an approximation of the display put on by the other man.[/black]

"Which is it to be, admit you are a charlatan playing tricks on the locals in an attempt to bully them in to submission, or admit that the Empire do not have complete control over all this magical and let the people see the hold you are trying to place on them?"

[Color="black"]With a thought, Ben transforms in to a physical approximation of the man before him; "it would seem that even your appearance cannot be trusted, if I can look like this, what is to say that this is really how you look, or that your thugs are anything more than waifs and school-boys made to look big?" Ben switches appearance to match the looks, if not he size, of the two bruisers either side of the man; [color="indigo"]"See!" Ben wills the seat of the pants of the thug to the man's right to get warmer.

Turning to the crowd of locals gathered to liberate Bev's he continues; "Friends, you've seen what these men would have you believe, that they have powers we cannot match. Well I tell you those powers are nothing but stage work and trickery, the real power comes from friendship, camaraderie and your families and communities. We may be small, but we are large in number; we may not be strong but we are quick and sharp, now is not the time to be timid, ow is the time to stand up and say 'No more! The Empire has gone too far!' This is your town, not theirs; Bev and her girls are part of our community, who knows what these brutes are doing to them in there; Mr Artho may not agree with their line of work, but I know he will stop at nothing to ensure those girls come to no harm and to seek vengeance on anyone that has deigned to hurt them."

Ben let's tiny motes of light drift through the squad settling on their shoulders and twinkling on their weapons before continuing:

"Be stout of heart and sure of mind; we have right on our side as we stand up to these oppressors and defend our way of life and our community! Each of you who stands firm today is boosted by the power of the friendship of those stood beside him, and perhaps a little more!"

Phew! Okay, a lot to squeeze in but we're not in combat (yet)!

Ben casts prestidigitation (www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:prestidigitation) for his second spell of the day, lasts one hour. He uses that to re-create what he has seen. He then triggers his hat of disguise (www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:hatofDisguise)(a standard action), disguise roll + 10 for hat- 1d20+19 to match the first appearance and again, and again, to match the two others 1d20+19, 1d20+19.

As a cheeky trick, he uses prestidigitation to warm up the material of the trousers of the thug,

He then uses prestidigitation to add sparkles to everyone's weapons and to give the impression of subtle magic moving amongst them before using his single bardic music for the day to inspire courage (www.dandwiki.com/SRD:Bard#Inspire_courage) in the crowd (who are all allies that can hear him) and the party, granting them +1 to saves against charm and fear effects and +1 morale bonus on weapon attack and damage rolls.

And, just in case initiative 1d20+4

hoverfrog
2015-01-30, 07:55 AM
The crowd seems to sway towards Artho as he beseeches them to join him. One man rips off his arm band and moves to stand next to you but most of them remain behind their leader. He looks grimly at the Boar of Bridge, clearly ready for trouble.

In frustration the giant man steps forward and yells to the captain, "Arrest the sorcerer. Such blatant use of magic against the empire cannot be tolerated." Suddenly he leaps forward and swats at the seat of his robe, his face turning red with anger. He begins to chant and wave his arms around in wide circles. Lights swirls in front of him and begins to form a flowing circle of colour a few feet in front of Ben.

Enforcer Bal is casting a spell, Hypnotism (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/hypnotism.htm). It has a 1 round casting time and will finish just before his initiative next round. Could everyone roll initiative please.

Enforcer Bal [roll0]
Half orc [roll1]
Other half orc [roll2]
Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=103778)

Mr.D
2015-02-03, 08:31 AM
Artho levels his Halberd, the spear tip pointing towards Kerr Take a single step towards my companion and I shall cut you down. Face me if you wish to fight, and we shall test the strength of your convictions! You can still turn away, or you can still join with us. You don't have to die"

Artho steps forward towards the Captain, and raises his Halberd For the Isles! he roars before hunkering down into a defensive stance.

Artho's going to move two squares towards the Captain and his group. Gonna throw and Intimidate check in to see if he can scare more people into walking off/joining up, or the Captain into backing down. Not sure if can then take up 'Full Defense', is that a standard action? If he can, he will.

Intimidate [roll0]

Delia2531
2015-02-03, 10:39 AM
Seeing Artho step forward Ben lets out a brief sigh of relief, only to tense again when the warrior merely taunts the opposition; he's probably doing the right thing, there's too many of them to fight them all!.

Keeping his eye on the Enforcer, Ben slips one of his special bullets out of his belt pouch and drops it in to his sling; he takes a step to his left to get a clear view of his target before taking aim and letting it fly; Here goes!

loading a sling is a move action requiring two hands.

5-foot step to the left (O14).

Attack with a masterwork bullet from the sling at his belt [roll0]
confirm crit (20) [roll1]

Damage [roll2]
crit damage (x2) [roll3]

If the attack is succssful the enforcer must make a concentration check DC 10+damage taken to continue casting the spell.

hoverfrog
2015-02-04, 06:44 AM
[roll0] DC12
Captain Terr Abendroth takes a visible step back as Artho advances. Then he turns and runs back to the main road, "Lads, we don't want to provoke a fight. We're peacekeepers. Just stop this mob from getting into town and we'll have done our jobs." His effort at saving face fails to impress at least two of the men who tear off their black spots in disgust. One of them grins at Artho and shrugs.

The rest of the mob jeers and hurls insults at the fleeing Island Auxiliary Volunteers but don't pursue.

Ben's stone catches the enforcer in the hip, a painful injury but not enough to shake his concentration. He finishes his spell and the magic pulses outwards. Sound and light wash over Ben and Artho and they feel their will being drained.

--

Inside the men seem distracted by the commotion outside and Enforcer Lefrin walks over to peer out of the shutters at the crowd, "Keep an eye on that one," he says casually over his shoulder. "He sounds sincere but I know how good these little people are at lying." Karvol and his half orc guard also move to the shutters to look at what's happening. He says something in a language that you don't understand.

Xin leans close and whispers in Kevst's ear, "He said, 'Bal is a fool. He should execute the ring leader'. Mandy will fight and so will the girls." She looks frightened.

Updated map. (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=104706)

hoverfrog
2015-02-04, 09:48 AM
The two half orcs rush forward to tackle Ben on the enforcer's orders. They are slow and clumsy and their swings sweep over his head. Enforcer Bal pulls out a handful of petals and hurls them at the crowd. Three of them collapse and begin to snore loudly. The mob splits apart around the enchanted trio.

Half orc 6 Club [roll0] vs AC19 for [roll1] damage
Critical on a 20 [roll2] vs AC19 for [roll3] damage
Half orc 7 Club [roll4] vs AC19 for [roll5] damage
Critical on a 20 [roll6] vs AC19 for [roll7] damage

Sleep (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/sleep.htm) on the mob.
Updated map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=104728)

OzzyKP
2015-02-05, 12:00 PM
The sensation of Xin leaning in close to whisper in his ear excited Kevst, just a bit. Enough to help neutralize some of his fear. Just some though. When Kevst had a fight or flight reaction he was more likely to choose flight, but that wasn't an option here. Plus, he wasn't just concerned for his own safety. What a strange new world to care for another. He looked over at her beautiful, big eyes and gave her a reassuring smirk.

Then he quickly, quietly, undid his ropes and attempted to untie Xin's as well.

Escape Artist (to undo Xin & Kevst's ropes): [roll0]
Sleight of Hand (to do so without being seen): [roll1]
Move Silently (to do so without being heard): [roll2]

OzzyKP
2015-02-05, 12:12 PM
Unfortunately, her ropes were too tight and the position they were in was too awkward to untie them, especially while pretending to be immobile for the watchful guard.

Instead, he reached for two of his daggers his captor was unable to find. Who carries three hidden daggers on them at all times? Kevst, that's who. Generally people assume they've gotten your weapon after finding a hidden dagger and look a bit less intently afterwards. Little do they know, that's just the decoy. He passed one dagger to Xin so she could free herself.

With the other, he lunged at the hapless guard left behind to watch over him, catching him by surprise as he shed his restraints. Kevst lept off his chair and plunged the dagger into the guard's neck.

He hoped the girls could hold their own in a fight.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Sneak attack damage: [roll2]

Mr.D
2015-02-06, 07:38 AM
Seeing the Volunteers flee artho whirls to see the two Half-orcs attacking Ben "Smith! You and the men take care of the wizard! Ben and I will handle the beastmen!

Artho raises his Halberd and charges at the nearest Half-orc, roaring as he runs in

Charge attack with Halberd [roll0]
Confirm if crit [roll1]
Damage [roll2]
Additional Crit Dmg [roll3]

VS Half-orc 7

Delia2531
2015-02-06, 10:05 AM
As the orcs step towards him Ben thinks about backing away to keep a safe distance, but with Artho's shout realises that isn't really an option. Keeping his sling in his fist he drops his hand to his belt, and it falls on the hilt of one of his new axes Not this time and his hand slips around the hilt of his favourite dagger and he quickly draws it. He jinks and ducks hoping to throw the Orc off guard, and allow Artho an oppotunity to get around behind him before stabbing viciously with the sharp knife.

He shouts to the townsfolk; "Now, now; act now to save our friends. I've shown you that his magic has no power over us, there is nothing to fear from such parlour tricks!"

Move action to draw the m/w dagger.
Attack (+1 for inspire courage) - [roll0]
confirm crit (19-20/x2) [roll1]
damage [roll2]
crit damage [roll3]
speach is merely extending the inspire courage (free action)

So ben hits an AC of 17 for 2 damage! If only I can get flanking next time I can do some real damage!

hoverfrog
2015-02-09, 07:49 AM
Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=105659)

Taking advantage of the distraction Kevst leaps up and sinks his dagger into the half orc's neck. Without a sound he slumps and falls to the ground. Xin wriggles to try to free herself and is almost free when there's a yell from across the room. The half orc guarding the stairs plods over to the captors swinging his club and muttering in his own brutish tongue. The others turn at the noise and notice that the plucky warrior is free. The human who was supervising the torture calls out a warning, "Don't kill him. He may have valuable information."

Outside Devka, though still wounded, joins the fray and swings his axe into the half orc. His blow doesn't fell the beast man but it does knock his own swing at Ben off balance so that his club whistles over the young man's head instead of striking him. He manages to score a cut along his arm with his dagger making him stumble. Artho spears the other one and knocks him down. The human retreats back into Bev's.

The crowd cheer and surge forward. The last orc outside balks and tries to flee back to the safety of the building. His wounds trouble him and he wobbles away on unsteady feet.

Devka Initiative [roll0]
Devka attacks [roll1] for [roll2]
Critical on a 20 [roll3] for [roll4]

Half orc 6 attack's Ben AC19
Club [roll5] for [roll6]
Critical on a 20 [roll7] for [roll8]

-----Current Encounter:
-----Player Combat Tracker
-----Encounter Thread:

-----Bev and the hostages
-----
-----Bashtown, Shark's Luck

-----
Character Health
-----Conditions
-----Effects
-----Special

-----
Artho
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j118/hoverFrog/Isles%20of%20the%20Small%20Folk/171c08f0-1e7c-4500-ae84-cd820842ba4a_zps60250f27.jpg
14/30
-------
-----Inspire Courage
-------

-----
Young Ben
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j118/hoverFrog/Isles%20of%20the%20Small%20Folk/89341e47-0a5c-4dc0-9eee-fe06b686a039_zps0011ae9d.jpg
15/15
-------
-----Inspire Courage
-------

-----
Devka Thorn
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j118/hoverFrog/Isles%20of%20the%20Small%20Folk/b54f9986-1583-4b33-9671-31e7989ba8a8_zps9ce0176d.jpg
7/34
-------
-----Inspire Courage
-------

-----
Kevst
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j118/hoverFrog/Isles%20of%20the%20Small%20Folk/bef49a8c-a517-4aad-95fa-7b3556e9d23b_zpseb8f2c84.jpg
14/17 (3 non-lethal)
-------
-----Inspire Courage
-------

-----
Enforcer Karvol
http://static.nodens.lclients.ru/view/media/tokens/29.png
9/9
-------
-------
-------

-----
Enforcer Bal
http://static.nodens.lclients.ru/view/media/tokens/30.png
7/7
-------
-------
-------

-----
Enforcer Lefrin
http://static.nodens.lclients.ru/view/media/tokens/31.png
2/9
-------
-------
-------

-----
Half orc 1
http://static.nodens.lclients.ru/view/media/tokens/20.png
9/9
-------
-------
-------

-----
Half orc 2
http://static.nodens.lclients.ru/view/media/tokens/21.png
9/9
-------
-------
-------

-----
Half orc 3
http://static.nodens.lclients.ru/view/media/tokens/22.png
9/9
-------
-------
-------

-----
Half orc 4
http://static.nodens.lclients.ru/view/media/tokens/23.png
-1/9
-----Unconcious, dying
-------
-------

-----
Half orc 5
http://static.nodens.lclients.ru/view/media/tokens/24.png
9/9
-------
-------
-------

-----
Half orc 6
http://static.nodens.lclients.ru/view/media/tokens/25.png
0/9
-------
-------
-------

-----
Half orc 7
http://static.nodens.lclients.ru/view/media/tokens/27.png
-2/9
-----Unconcious, dying
-------
-------

Ben and Devka have an attack of opportunity against half orc 6 as he flees.

Delia2531
2015-02-09, 10:41 AM
As the brute stumbles back towards the building, Ben spins and attempts to ram the blade in to his retreating back; accompanying it with a verbal barb.

"Run you coward, go join your masters inside; see how quickly they come to your aid or whether they just expect you to die to protect them! Ask them what happened to the Dwarves in Bridge!"

Attack - [roll0]
Confirm Crit (19-20/x2) - [roll1]

Damage - [roll2]
Crit Damage - [roll3]
Sneak attack damage? - [roll4] (not sure he qualifies for this as no flanking, but I'd rather roll and discard than double-post or miss the chance! :smallwink:)

Aargh! A max damage roll (two of them in fact) and an 11 on the attack? At least it wasn't a 1!:smallfurious:

Mr.D
2015-02-11, 07:47 AM
Artho moves to intercept the fleeing half-orc grimly swinging his halberd in for a finishing blow

Attack [roll0]
Confirm if Crit [roll1]
Dmg [roll2]
Crit additional [roll3]

The axe blade bites into the Half-orcs side and a strangled gurgle is the only sound he can make as he slumps to the ground.

OzzyKP
2015-02-11, 09:54 AM
One foe down, way too many to go. Nothing to do now but keep attacking. He hoped Xin would hurry up and untie the others so he isn't the only one in the room fighting back. He was gladdened to hear Ben shouting outside, it sounded like there might be a rescue afterall! Kevst just wanted to stay alive long enough for them to get inside.

He stepped past the slumped over body of the first half-orc and attacked the second. He wished he could find a nice spot to hide and shoot from instead of confronting a much larger enemy face to face.

HP: 14 (base 17, -3 from torture)

Dagger: 1d3 damage, 19-20/x2 critical, range 10 ft

Dagger attack: [roll0] (+2 BAB, +1 Size, +1 Inspire Courage)
Dagger damage: [roll1] (+1 Inspire Courage)

Kevst uses his move action to approach the half-orc thug
As a standard action, Kevst attacks the half-orc

Delia2531
2015-02-11, 04:48 PM
As their foe slumps to the floor, Ben looks at Artho and says, "We need to get in there, we can't give them time to prepare their defences" then shouts to the gathering mob, "We're going in, secure the building, let no-one out and if we need you we'll scream!"

He waits for Artho to lead the way, happy to let the stronger man bash down the door.

Mr.D
2015-02-13, 08:23 AM
Artho levels his Halberd and hoists up his shield Just smashing in isn't the smartest tactic, but I see no other way right now. We must act, and if they've hurt those Islanders...they'll answer for it

With head lowered Artho charges forward Nothing can stop me going forward!

Charge attack on the door to bash it open

Attack - [roll0]
Crit confirm [roll1]
Damage - [roll2]
Crit Dmg - [roll3]

hoverfrog
2015-02-16, 12:12 PM
Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=107072)

Kevst jabs his dagger into the half orc who yelps in pain. The wound is shallow and he recovers quickly and swings his club at the plucky lad. He gets a mean hit across Kevst's shoulders and looks surprised that he doesn't fall from the blow.

Artho barges through the door and shoves one of the humans back a few feet. The one next to him almost drops his dagger in surprise. Both men begin yelling orders in their own language, drowning one another out. A few of the mob behind follow cautiously after Artho and Ben as they try to force their way into the room.

Half orc 2 attack's Kevst AC17
Club [roll0] for [roll1]
Critical on a 20 [roll2] for [roll3]

-----Current Encounter:
-----Encounter Thread:

-----

-----
Character Health
-----Conditions
-----Effects
-----Special

-----
Artho
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j118/hoverFrog/Isles%20of%20the%20Small%20Folk/171c08f0-1e7c-4500-ae84-cd820842ba4a_zps60250f27.jpg
14/30
-------
-----Inspire Courage
-------

-----
Young Ben
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j118/hoverFrog/Isles%20of%20the%20Small%20Folk/89341e47-0a5c-4dc0-9eee-fe06b686a039_zps0011ae9d.jpg
15/15
-------
-----Inspire Courage
-------

-----
Devka Thorn
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j118/hoverFrog/Isles%20of%20the%20Small%20Folk/b54f9986-1583-4b33-9671-31e7989ba8a8_zps9ce0176d.jpg
7/34
-------
-----Inspire Courage
-------

-----
Kevst
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j118/hoverFrog/Isles%20of%20the%20Small%20Folk/bef49a8c-a517-4aad-95fa-7b3556e9d23b_zpseb8f2c84.jpg
10/17 (3 non-lethal)
-------
-----Inspire Courage
-------

-----
Enforcer Karvol
9/9
-------
-------
-------

-----
Enforcer Bal
7/7
-------
-------
-------

-----
Enforcer Lefrin
2/9
-------
-------
-------

-----
Half orc 1
9/9
-------
-------
-------

-----
Half orc 2
7/9
-------
-------
-------

-----
Half orc 3
9/9
-------
-------
-------

-----
Half orc 4
-2/9
-----Unconcious, dying
-------
-------

-----
Half orc 5
9/9
-------
-------
-------

-----
Half orc 6
-10/9
-----DEAD
-------
-------

-----
Half orc 7
-3/9
-----Unconcious, dying
-------
-------

Delia2531
2015-02-16, 02:27 PM
"Press home the advantage now my friends; he have them running and stumbling. Hearing Kevst take a solid hit and not cry out Ben continues, "See; their size is as effective as their magics; shrug off their blows and let them feel the strength that comes from harvesting corn or shearing sheep, let them see the muscles that are built from kneading dough and hauling barrels and fishing nets!"

As the crowd surge behind him Ben re-invigorates their sparkle and adds a glint to Artho's armour.

Aware that Kevst is still in the room and outnumbered Ben thinks to himself we need to get in there; I can't believe he ran in only to stop in the doorway!

Ben maintains inspire courage for all to hear and uses prestidigitation to add his CGI "magic"

Mr.D
2015-02-17, 07:26 AM
As Artho barrels through the door his attention is caught by the Enforcer stumbling backwards "For the Isles!" he roars again as he strikes with his Halberd

Atk [roll0]
Crit confirm [roll1]
Dmg [roll2]
Additonal Crit [roll3]

Delia2531
2015-02-17, 11:37 AM
As Artho bursts through the door and catches the enforcer inside by surprise, Ben spots a gap through which he extends his arm around the doorway and attempts to force his razor sharp blade home in the other enforcer's sides.

With the effects of Inspire Courage:
Attack with m/w dagger - [roll0]
Confirm Crit (19-20/x2) - [roll1]

Damage - [roll2]
crit damage - [roll3]

Assuming Artho's attack hit, Enforcer Bal is on -3HP and so lying in a pool of his own entrails on the floor; a crit from Ben wouldn't quite be enough to drop Enforcer Karvol but if he hits him really well Ben will step past Artho and take up a position in the room, even at the expense of a potential AoO.

Sensing Devka behind him keen to get in to the action, Ben takes a large step past Artho and to his right squeezing through the doorway putting other halfling between himself and his former target.

Ben takes a 5' step to P8

OzzyKP
2015-02-17, 02:01 PM
Kevst continues the attack against the half-orc thug in front of him.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

hoverfrog
2015-02-18, 07:04 AM
Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=107333)

Devka follows Ben into the doorway as the Enforcer leaps backwards clutching his arm. Ben had scored a wound though not one as powerful as Artho's. His opponent was lying on the ground and blood was gushing from a slice in his stomach.

Kevst's woozy from the earlier bash from the half orc's club swings wildly. He's given a moment of encouragement from behind as Xin's voice cries out in support, "Hold him off, Kevster, I'll have Mandy free in a second."

The Enforcer by the window chants and hurls a spell at the approaching crowd. Bright, swirling lights spray out over them, leaving many stunned and unable to act. The wounded man orders the orcs to attack but they are clumsy beasts and fail to land any telling blows. He then draws a wand of blackened copper from his belt. With a command, "Sprgrutlum," a bolt of energy flies across the room to unerringly strike Ben. He seems surprised that his magic isn't fatal but levels it again, "Surrender now or my next missile will kill you."

Half orc 2 attacks Kevst AC17
Club [roll0] for [roll1]

Half orc 5 attacks Artho AC19
Club [roll4] for [roll5]
Critical on a 20 [roll6] for [roll7]

Half orc 5 attacks Ben AC19
Club [roll8] for [roll9]
Critical on a 20 [roll10] for [roll11]

Enforcer Karvol Magic Missile Wand [roll12] at Ben.

Half orc 4 Stabilise [roll13]
Half orc 7 Stabilise [roll14]

-----Current Encounter:
-----Encounter Thread:

-----

-----
Character Health
-----Conditions
-----Effects
-----Special

-----
Artho
14/30
-------
-----Inspire Courage
-------

-----
Young Ben
10/15
-------
-----Inspire Courage
-------

-----
Devka Thorn
7/34
-------
-----Inspire Courage
-------

-----
Kevst
10/17 (3 non-lethal)
-------
-----Inspire Courage
-------

-----
Enforcer Karvol
5/9
-------
-------
-------

-----
Enforcer Bal
-5/7
-----Unconscious, bleeding
-------
-------

-----
Enforcer Lefrin
2/9
-------
-------
-------

-----
Half orc 1
9/9
-------
-------
-------

-----
Half orc 2
7/9
-------
-------
-------

-----
Half orc 3
9/9
-------
-------
-------

-----
Half orc 4
-3/9
-----Unconcious, dying
-------
-------

-----
Half orc 5
9/9
-------
-------
-------

-----
Half orc 6
-10/9
-----DEAD
-------
-------

-----
Half orc 7
-4/9
-----Unconcious, dying
-------
-------

Mr.D
2015-02-18, 07:43 AM
Artho sees his target fall and immediately begins looking for a new one. He hears someone mention surrender and let's out a barking laugh followed by a cry of "NO SURRENDER!" as he side steps the nearest beastman ad attempts to hack him down

Five foot step to O7, attacking Half-orc 5
Atk [roll0]
Confirm Crit [roll1]
Dmg [roll2]
Additional [roll3]

OzzyKP
2015-02-18, 10:35 AM
These giants were like a snake, unable to function if their head gets cut off. The clumsy green ones were less of a threat anyhow, it is these tall humans who posed the greatest threat. Hearing that Xin is about to release Mandy, Kevst decided to tumble onto the table and strike at one of the magical humans. This time Kevst was undistracted and plunged his dagger deep into the humans chest. The height of the table helped give him the proper reach and leverage to do serious damage to the wounded enforcer.

AC: 20 (base 10, +5 armor, +4 Dexterity, +1 size)

Tumble (while moving): [roll2] (DC of 15 to move past half-orc 2)

Kevst tumbles during his move action to move to L6
As a standard action, Kevst attacks Enforcer Lefrin

Delia2531
2015-02-18, 11:29 AM
Pausing slightly and seeing Kevst leap up and attack one of the enforcers Ben slashes at the orc stood behind him, We seem to have the upper hand, time to try something a little different! As the blow lands on his target, Ben thinks of how he looked at the start of the day and he instantly appears refreshed and unharmed.

He shouts to the room in general, "You couldn't succeed when we were separate and some of us were incapacitated; what makes you think you can succeed now? As I told you outside, your magic no effect on us. Lay down your weapons and wands and we will spare your lives; continue to fight us and you will surely perish!

Attack against the Orc with M/w Dagger and BI - [roll0]
Confirm crit (19-20/x2) - [roll]1d20+8[/roll}
Damage - [roll1]
Crit damage - [roll2]

Bluff check to convince them he is either healed or unharmed - [roll3]

hoverfrog
2015-02-20, 06:26 AM
Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=107563)

Artho swipes the half orc in front of him as he shifts position to allow Devka into the building. The cut is clumsy but still slices through the creature's thin armour, leaving a trail of blood across his belly. He stumbles and swings his club to try to brain the warrior. Kevst dodges around the beast man facing him and stabs the wand wielder. He cries out in pain and drops the wand before he can activate it.

The remaining human steps away from the window and draws his own wand. He speaks very clearly, "Shaz-zoon," and tries to touch Artho with it. Devka tries to intervene but is too slow. He snarls and launches himself at the tall human, knocking him aside and cutting him open with his axe. The wand falls to the floor, it's charge wasted.

Half orc 5 attacks Artho AC19
Club [roll0] for [roll1]

Half orc 2 AoO vs Kevst AC20
Club [roll4] for [roll5]
Half orc 2 attack vs Kevst AC20
Club [roll8] for [roll9]
Half orc 1 attack vs Kevst AC20
Club [roll12] for [roll13]
Critical on a 20 [roll14] for [roll15]

Half orc 5 attacks Ben AC19
Club [roll16] for [roll17]
Critical on a 20 [roll18] for [roll19]

Enforcer Leftrin Wand of Shocking Grasp [roll20] Kevst's touch AC is effectively 11
[roll21]

Devka Rages +4 Str, Con
Great axe [roll22] for [roll23]
Critical on a 20 [roll24] for [roll25]

Half orc 4 Stabilise [roll26]
Half orc 7 Stabilise [roll27]
Enforcer Bal Stabilise [roll28]

-----Current Encounter:
-----Encounter Thread:

-----

-----
Character Health
-----Conditions
-----Effects
-----Special

-----
Artho
14/30
-------
-----Inspire Courage
-------

-----
Young Ben
10/15
-------
-----Inspire Courage
-------

-----
Devka Thorn
7/34
-------
-----Inspire Courage
-------

-----
Kevst
14/17 (3 non-lethal)
-------
-----Inspire Courage
-------

-----
Enforcer Karvol
-10/9
-----DEAD
-------
-------

-----
Enforcer Bal
-5/7
-----Unconscious, dying
-------
-------

-----
Enforcer Lefrin
-2/9
-------
-------
-------

-----
Half orc 1
9/9
-------
-------
-------

-----
Half orc 2
7/9
-------
-------
-------

-----
Half orc 3
5/9
-------
-------
-------

-----
Half orc 4
-3/9
-----Unconcious, dying
-------
-------

-----
Half orc 5
2/9
-------
-------
-------

-----
Half orc 6
-10/9
-----DEAD
-------
-------

-----
Half orc 7
-4/9
-----Unconcious, dying
-------
-------

Mr.D
2015-02-20, 07:40 AM
Artho deflects the half-orc's club with his shield as it harmlessly bounces away he makes another attempt on the beastman's life, thrusting with the spearhead of his Halberd at his already wounded belly

Atk [roll0]
Crit Conf. [roll1]
DMg [roll2]
Crit Add. [roll3]

OzzyKP
2015-02-20, 09:44 AM
Even for a halfling Kevst was small and quick. The lumbering giant beast men just couldn't catch up to him. He was always a step ahead and none of them were able to land a blow on him. Delighted to see both the remaining magic users fall to their attacks, he turns his attention on finishing off the remaining green skinned brutes. Stepping back toward Xin and the girls he wanted to make sure they had time to get untied.

Kevst takes 5-foot step to K-5
As a standard action, Kevst attacks half-orc 2

Delia2531
2015-02-20, 02:13 PM
Looking for an advantage Ben jinks past his opponent and strikes with his dagger, Well, perhaps we can persuade any that live through this but for now!

5' step to q7 (directly "above" half-Orc 3)

Attacks with m/w dagger (+1 for BI) - [roll0]
Confirm crit (19-20/x2) - [roll1]

Damage - [roll2]
Crit damage - [roll3]

hoverfrog
2015-02-24, 07:47 AM
Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=108038)

Devka rushes over to fill the gap left by Kevst and Mandy grabs the dagger to stand beside the stealthy man. The orc facing Devka blanches and runs so the barbarian chooses the target that Kevst missed. His axe cuts deep into flesh and he crumples without a sound. Artho cuts down the orc facing him easily. A belly wound drops him with a scream.

The one facing Ben tries to track his fast movement but seeing his leaders dead and his allies fleeing he drops his club and falls to his knees, "Mercy, masters, mercy on Nosa."

With nobody blocking the doors the mob surges in, too late to help. Someone moves to untie the women but most of them seem to be at a loss at what to do next.

Half orc 2 attack vs Kevst AC20
Club [roll0] for [roll1]

Devka Rages +4 Str, Con vs Half orc 2 AC12
Great axe [roll4] for [roll5]

Mandy vs Half orc 2 AC12
Dagger [roll8] for [roll9]

Enforcer Bal Stabilise [roll12]
Half orc 4 Stabilise [roll13]
Half orc 7 Stabilise [roll14]

-----Current Encounter:
-----Encounter Thread:

-----

-----
Character Health
-----Conditions
-----Effects
-----Special

-----
Artho
14/30
-------
-----Inspire Courage
-------

-----
Young Ben
10/15
-------
-----Inspire Courage
-------

-----
Devka Thorn
7/34
-------
-----Inspire Courage
-------

-----
Kevst
14/17 (3 non-lethal)
-------
-----Inspire Courage
-------

-----
Enforcer Karvol
-10/9
-----DEAD
-------
-------

-----
Enforcer Bal
-6/7
-----Unconscious, dying
-------
-------

-----
Enforcer Lefrin
-2/9
-------
-------
-------

-----
Half orc 1
9/9
-------
-------
-------

-----
Half orc 2
-6/9
-----Unconcious, dying
-------
-------

-----
Half orc 3
1/9
-------
-------
-------

-----
Half orc 4
-4/9
-----Unconcious, dying
-------
-------

-----
Half orc 5
-3/9
-----Unconcious, dying
-------
-------

-----
Half orc 6
-10/9
-----DEAD
-------
-------

-----
Half orc 7
-5/9
-----Unconcious, dying
-------
-------

Delia2531
2015-02-26, 07:21 AM
Well Ben, it worked; but now these folks are looking for some direction, time to put your mouth where the money is again!

Surveying the crowd, Ben acts quickly to seize the opportunities presented to him; pointing at people in the crowd as he calls to them:

"Artho, Kevst; can you relieve our new friend here of his weapons, armour, boots and breeches in that order please? We'll deal with the wounded first. With a wink to the girls. Don't worry Nosa it's nothing these ladies haven't seen before!

Xin, if you would be so kind as to take some of the girls and fetch something to use as bandages, clean sheets will suffice if you make use of the dagger Kevst gave you?

Mandy; if you could quickly gather up any weapons, wands and such like from our fallen foes, the unconscious ones first please, and place them in a safe corner for now?

Mr. Devka; if you could guard the door, from the inside for now please? Ben makes sure that Devka sees that he is indicating to a chair near the door so that the weary warrior can rest while he does so.

Mr Smith; could you take a group of the strongest members of your group and drag all the wounded inside and put them in a clear space each please? After that the two bodies should be brought inside out of sight also.

Pointing at pairs of locals each time, You two, you two, you two; clear some of this furniture back against the walls so we've somewhere to but the wounded.

Ms Bev; perhaps you might have something to quench our thirsts and clean some wounds.

Content that all is in hand, Ben watches as everyone goes about their business all the time aware that he is covering his wounds with an illusion; Got to keep it up a little longer my lad; everyone's watching, there'll be time for rest later!

Once the wounded are all inside and spread out and the girls have the strips of cloth in their hands, Ben calls out again, pointing at some of the townspeople again; "You six, see what you can do for these poor unfortunate souls; girls, bind their wounds as well as you can and provide them with water when they awake. Does anyone in the group know anything about healing herbs?"

Moving across to where Nosa is now standing barefoot in just his shirt and loincloth watched by Artho and Kevst and waving down their weapins as he faces the prisoner; "Now then, my dear Nosa; you have shown that you are a sensible sort of chap, no doubt just doing what you were told by these gentlemen over here? You've seen what we are capable of, might and magic and able to take a beating; you've also no doubt noticed the large group of armed, angry townsfolk over there who, despite their anger, are assisting your former colleagues in an attempt to keep them alive.

Think very carefully before you answer my next question; and be aware that I am placing a charm on you to detest whether you are lying to me Ben waves his hand and mumbles some gibberish, making a red glow appear on the tip of the first finger of his right hand which he then presses to the head of the Half-orc and the glow transfers to the Half-orcs skin and then fades, then a white light appears on the same finger "Will you give your word to be peaceful and not to take up arms against the folks of Bashtown and it's surrounding community? this light will turn red if you lie to me."

Assuming no special abilities on behalf of the townsfolk and that they don't deteriorate before they are treated, some heal checks for the casualties:

Bal (-6HP) - [roll0]
Lefrin (-2 HP) - [roll1]
Half-orc 2 (-6 HP) - [roll2]
Half-orc 4 (-4 HP) - [roll3]
Half-orc 5 (-3 HP) - [roll4]
Half-orc 7 (-5 HP) - [roll5]

Ben uses Prestidigitation to create the red glow and then have it fade in to Nosa's forehead.

Bluff check against Nosa's understanding of magic - [roll6]
Intimidate (if it is needed) - [roll7]
Ben's sense motive on Nosa's response - [roll8] if he detects a lie he will turn the light on his finger red.

Mr.D
2015-02-26, 07:21 AM
Artho looks over his shoulder at the surrendering half-orc "Get him tied up, fast!" he see's the final half bolting for the door and drops his halberd and shield, swiftly drawing his cross bow as he gives chase "Don't let him escape!"

using Quick Draw to pull out the crossbow as a free action, gonna double move to i4

OzzyKP
2015-02-26, 11:09 AM
Kevst hears Artho's shout and rushes over to their fleeing foe. This was already going to end up being a bad situation for the town, letting one escape would make things much worse. He stabs at the half-orc as he flees.

Kevst moves to G-4
As a standard action, Kevst attacks half-orc 1

hoverfrog
2015-02-27, 11:22 AM
Kevst and Artho reach the door after the half orc flings it open and steps into the kitchen beyond. Kevst dagger bites into his thigh just as Artho levels the crossbow at his head. He squeals and drops his blade with a cry of "Mercy. Mercy, little masters. Don't kill Hargut."

--

The crowd, eager to be led, leap to obey Ben. In moments a box of bandages have appeared and the girls are helping to tend the wounded. Bev pulls out her pipe and takes her customary position by the door, her bruises making her look even grumpier than normal. Devka takes up a place on the other side of the door and looks out at the room with an amused look on his face. Mandy has all the goods piled inside an old wine crate. He takes it over to Ben where he prompt sits on top of the crate and stares daggers at the orc man.

The mob grows more orderly and bodies are relocated. The wounded are moved to comfortable seats though it seems that the magic used on them was merely confusing rather than fatal. Smi Smith drops the orc's clubs and armour into Mandy's box himself.

Briony Rose takes charge of serving some nerve steadying ale to all hands. Like some of the other girls she has bruises on her face but she seems cheerful enough to linger by Ben when she brings over a tray of foaming tankards.

Nosa listens carefully to Ben's demands and nods vigorously when he gives him the ultimatum to do no further harm. He seems to be concentrating on Ben's glowing fingertip, "I promises not to hurt no-one, not never again fer as long as I lives...Sir." He adds the last after a short delay. It is obvious that he has a clear respect for magic though he doesn't have a clue how it works or what it can do. You're positive that he's not lying.

Delia2531
2015-03-04, 10:05 AM
Watching Nosa intent for a second as if waiting for the light to change colour Ben nods as if he is satisfied. "Thank you Nosa, I am glad you are a honest person; now make yourself useful and start washing the floor, Bev doesn't want contact reminders of the violence that took place here."

As Brioney Rose lingers alongside; Ben places a hand gently on her arm and gives her a warm smile.

Ben checks on the casualties and then approaches Nosa again; "Nosa, perhaps you could tell me these gentlemen's names and what you were doing in town?

OzzyKP
2015-03-04, 11:09 AM
With Hargut surrendering, Kevst relents his attack. He wipes the blood of his dagger, collects his crossbow and other dagger on the table, and then walks over to Xin.

"Are you alright?" he asks with a tender concern in his voice.

Mr.D
2015-03-05, 07:22 AM
Artho keeps his crossbow trained on Hargut "Drop all your weapons and go sit over there" he says with a nod towards Ben and Nosa.

As they approach and Hargut sits down, favouring his injured leg, Artho lowers the crossbow. "Do we have something to bind his wound with? I'd rather he didn't surrender just to bleed to death...."

hoverfrog
2015-03-06, 06:46 AM
Nosa nods eagerly and gets down on all fours to wipe away the blood and gore with his sleeve. It's a poor choice of mop and he succeeds only in moving the blood around. "Nosa is good slave. The masters are called enforcers. Enforcer Karvol, Enforcer Bal, an' Enforcer Lefrin." Bev gets up and goes into the kitchen for a mop and bucket. She thumps it down next to Nosa with a scowl and then backs away quickly when he gets up. The half orc splashes water around but has to bend almost double to use the normal sized mop, "Only enforcers left in Bashtown, apart from Enforcer Arfolt. Them is the newest ones, Arfolt is big boss. Him is looking fer other avenues."

Xin hands Kevst his dagger back with shaky hands, "You were very brave. I don't know what we're going to do next. Should we run? Should we stay and fight?"

One of the girls binds Hargut's leg and then offers Artho a drink, "What about you, handsome? Did you take a wound fighting your way in? I could maybe look at that for you, get the knots out of your muscles."

Mr.D
2015-03-06, 07:51 AM
Arthos face flushes red as he replies "Ah..perhaps..an ale would be most welcome. But that would be all...thank you miss" he gives a small bow of his head as he thanks the girl then takes a deep breath to compose himself before turning back to the two half-orcs "Other avenues? Other avenues to what?"

OzzyKP
2015-03-06, 05:03 PM
Kevst wasn't sure what to tell Xin. He wanted to just take her hand and run and swim as far away from here as he could and never look back. But he knew that one day, somehow, the Empire would reach them wherever they were. No where was safe as long as the Empire was in the Isles. How to get rid of them... he didn't know. He was very glad though that Athedru and Graorin were on their way to Old Alk to deliver their report. He felt so small and the Empire so large. Hopefully with all the Isles mobilized they could drive them away, but until then... what could they do?

He didn't want to worry Xin, but he really didn't know what to do. Ignoring her questions he said, "I'm just glad you are ok. I was very worried about you... worried what they would do."

hoverfrog
2015-03-08, 03:15 PM
The girl smiles at Artho's awkwardness, "It's not miss, not really. It's Maisy. I'll fetch you an ale and you can tell me all about your bravery and all the battles that you've been in." She heads over to the bar while you continue to question the half orcs.

Nosa scratches his head at Artho's question, "Nosa not know what other avenues Enforcer Arfolt meant. He said to Enforcer Lefrin, 'You go talk to whores. Them hears everything and the rumour says that it is neutral ground. Me, I have other avenues to pursue.' Me, I not ask questions when Enforcers speak and Enforcer Lefrin, him not ask questions neither." Lefrin is the least wounded of the two surviving enforcers though both are currently out cold.

Xin squeezes Kevst's arm, "They just asked us about Shorty and Callum. Where were they? What did they have to do with the fire on their new building? What were they going to do next? That sort of thing. I don't know why."

Delia2531
2015-03-09, 10:54 AM
Ben goes through the same routine with Hargut, with the glowing finger etc; "Now tell me, dear Hargut, for you are safe here assuming you are willing to make the same promises as Nosa? What you know of the Enforcers' activities and these 'other avenues' that Arfolt mentioned. Whilst you are at it, you can also tell me how many more slaves like yourself and Nosa here the Enforcers have nearby and how you all got to the island in the first place. But remember I can tell if you are lying, and my friend Artho here cannot stand dishonesty!" Ben waves and arm in Artho's direction.

Bluff - [roll0]
Intimidate - [roll1]
Diplomacy - [roll2]
Sense motive - [roll3]

hoverfrog
2015-03-09, 11:05 AM
"Hargut is not stupid like Nosa. Hargut knows that you will kill us anyway." He glances over at the door that he'd tried to run through, clearly regretting having surrendered, "Your magic might be strong but it cannot make Hargut tell what Hargut does not know. Hargut was not there when Enforcers spoke and Nosa should have kept his ears and eyes closed so that he did not hear and see what the masters spoke of."

"Even if Nosa and Hargut knew how many men were on a ship and how many ships crossed the great lake for three moons we could not tell you how many are here now. Some died. Some continued on. Some ships were lost. Also Hargut not know numbers that high in little people language. Only numbers up to hundreds, not more."

It looks to you like he believes you but that he is afraid but being honest with you.

Delia2531
2015-03-09, 11:27 AM
"Hargut, I assure you no harm will come to you if you give me your word that you will not take up your weapons against the people of the islands again. I cannot ask you to tell me what you do not know, and my magic tells me that you speak the truth so you have nothing to fear from us.

Mistress Bev here is always in need of a strong pair of arms to carry barrels and occaissionally move on the more stubborn customer; I can't promise you a wage, but I can promise you a roof over your head and meals whilst you work here peacefully."

Ben looks up slightly to catch Bec's eye when he says this, just to check that the woman agrees to his offer.

"Rest now, let the girls bind your wounds, then you can sit with Devka and guard the door for now."

His conversations over, Ben turns to see Briony Rose sitting nearby with his drink and takes a seat at the table, shuffling the chair close to hers. He looks at her face, and his finger gently trace the outline of her bruise as, with his voice slightly lower this time, he speaks to her, "I'm sorry these brutes, indicating the Enforcers, did this to you my sweet and that our presence in town may have incited them to do so; I would never put you, or anyone here, at deliberate risk. I don't have the power to heal you, "with his face turned away from the prisoners Ben lets his disguise slip a little so that Briony can see that he is not uninjured himself," I'm no healer as you can see, but if I can do anything to make it up to you I will gladly do so."

Content that everything is in hand, and that Artho is capable of extracting any more information he may look for Ben takes a few moments to himself to sit and catch his breath, sip some ale and eat a few bites of bread and cheese. Whilst sat alongside Briony, he finds that he places his hand in such a way that he catches hold of hers to hold it gently.

So, we're alive; we have prisoners and we've shown the locals that they have nothing to fear from these enforcers and their magics. Shorty and Callum are obviously thorns in the Empire's sides, but we still need to know more about what is going on here. We seem to be failry popular, but I doubt we'll get any open support yet and it is hardly time to start the overt rebellion yet.

Mr.D
2015-03-11, 07:17 AM
"Hargut, why would we bind your wounds just to kill you? We're not in the habit of executing those who surrender. Maybe the Empire do that, but not us. Rest now, We will talk later"

Artho finds a place to lay down his shield and Halberd, as Maisy arrives with his drink he smiles "Thank you Miss Maisy" is all he says before downing it. He finds a jug of water and carries it to the unconscious Lefrin. He takes some rope from his pack and secures Lefrin's hands and feet before pouring the cold water over his face "Wake up, Enforcer. We would have a word with you..."

OzzyKP
2015-03-16, 11:58 AM
Kevst's heart skips a few beats as Xin squeezes his arm. He holds her closer and says, "We'll figure something out."

He then looks over toward the others and listens to them talk.

hoverfrog
2015-03-19, 07:39 AM
Bev frowns at Ben after he has made his offer to Hargut but that does seem to be her default expression. After a moment she nods and has one of her girls move to tend him.

"Maybe having a giant brute will keep the riff raff away," She sits in her rocking chair again and crosses her arms gruffly, "He'll need a clean though. He stinks."

Briony Rose pulls you by your hand towards the stairs, "I'm just going upstairs, Bev." She calls over her shoulder, "Won't be long." There is an enthusiastic cheer from the floor as you begin to climb the stairs, one that is repeated when Xin leads Kevst down to the pools below.

As soon as Briony Rose gets you out of sight she drops her smile, "Right, show me then. How badly were you hurt? I have some ointment and bandages in my room. We're going to fix you up so that nobody knows that you're suffering."

Xin does much the same, leading Kevst downstairs to the nearest pool and tugging off his shirt, "Did you get hurt badly?" She dabs his nose with a cloth to wipe the blood away, "You saved us, you and your friends. When the wizard knocked you down with his spell I thought we were doomed. I've never seen anyone fight with magic before. Just tricks really. If all the giants have magic then what are we going to do?"

Maisy rushes off to refill Artho's ale, the house best by the taste of it, and returns just as the injured human begins to stir. He looks stunned and barely conscious and Artho has to prop him up to keep him from slipping into sleep again. He mutters in his own language before his eyes focus on the warrior, "Little man? What? What happened?"

Delia2531
2015-03-19, 09:46 AM
Ben lets out a sigh and drops his own smile. Once they are in a room he slips off his armour and gear so that he is just in his shirt and trousers and sits on the edge of the bed, letting Briony set alongside him. "It's not too bad my sweet, some cuts and scrapes mostly." With that he drops the disguise spell completely, letting her see some of the extent of the wounds on his face and shoulders. He then lifts his shirt over his head, showing her the scorch mark on his chest where the magic hit, a pink and red hole in his skin blackened around the edges as if burned. Ben examines the shirt, amazed that it has not been damaged when he has been hurt so badly. "Well at least I don't need to buy a new shirt!"

Ben sits still and lets Briony Rose apply some ointment, managing not to flinch as she applies the stringent substance.

Once she has finished applying a bandage and washing the worst of the blood and dirt from his face, he turns to look at her directly, leans forward to her saying "Thank you my dear, now if I am to keep up the pretense of being uninjured it is only right that I act as if everything were fine." With that he kisses her and leans her back on the bed.

---

Later, Ben returns downstairs having re-applied his disguise; carrying his pack and chainshirt by his side, noting that Kevst has yet to return Take your time kid, you've earned it! he thinks. He rejoins Artho in the centre of the room, seeing that one of the humans has awoken he asks "What news my friend? Has this one told you anything?"

Mr.D
2015-03-23, 07:54 AM
Artho smiles "My name is Artho, and you lost, that's what happened. Despite your power, when the people of the Isles united, you could not defeat us. An excellent lesson for all involed I think" Artho pauses and unhooks his flail from his belt, swinging the spiked ball gently and nonchalantly "Now..Enforcer, I would like you to answer a question of mine, if you do I will ask you some more, and if you answer them you will be allowed to live. If you don't you will also be allowed to live, except in considerably more pain." Artho pauses and makes eye contact with the bound human, his tone changes from one of cheery chit chat, becoming cold as ice as he stares at the Enforcer and asks "What is Arfolt planning?"

Intimidation roll [roll0]

OzzyKP
2015-03-23, 12:07 PM
Despite the unseemliness of the cheer from upstairs, Kevst was very pleased to be back in the pools with Xin. Pleased also for her to be tugging off his shirt.

"Not hurt much at all!" he says with unusual confidence.

With a grin he says, "I'm quick and hard to hit when I'm not tied up or asleep!"

Wincing slightly as she dabs at his nose he says, "I don't think all the giants have magic, the big green ones are just dumb brutes. The magic ones... we out number them. We just need to keep fighting and we'll overwhelm them."

Kevst was now feeling much less cautious and much more trusting, he continues, "We were sent here by Old Alk to investigate the presence of the giants and then to send for help! We just sent two of our companions back to Old Alk with a report on what was going on here. Hopefully they'll send an army to drive out the giants!"

Kevst didn't know what they'd do until that army arrived though. He was just glad to be here with Xin in the quiet of the pools. He wanted to stay down here with her as long as he could.

hoverfrog
2015-03-24, 07:32 AM
Enforcer Lefrin struggles first with staying conscious and then with staying upright. His injuries are such that he can barely do either. He focusses on Artho through the one eye that hasn't closed up and shivers, "Little...little warrior, you're doomed. When this assault on us reaches the ears of our superiors they will lay waste to this building and everyone in it. The Empire does not reward failure well." He looks around at his unconscious companions and at the half orcs. The latter seems to surprise him, "You got them to surrender? How did you do that? They're supposed to die in battle. That's their entire culture."

He winces in pain and struggles to sit up straight. In the end he settles for an uncomfortable looking slouch, "I'll tell you all about Arfolt's plans. Why not? Maybe you'll be able to kill the bastard. He serves the Empire as an Enforcer. One of only a few humans to have the power of magic at our disposal. He could destroy this tavern and everyone in it with his destructive spells. That's what he excels at and that's what he's looking for."

"Rumour has it that there are caches of hidden magic on your islands as well as material to build a gate to the homeland. Arfolt wants that magic for himself. Oh, he'll talk about how it will be used in service to the Empire but he wants power for the sake of owning it. You'll see his power for himself when he arrives to destroy you. You'll see."

--

Downstairs Xin puts her finger on Kevst's lips when he starts to tell her about his plans, "Shh, I can't tell what I don't know."

OzzyKP
2015-03-25, 03:11 PM
Kevst stops talking as she puts her finger up to his lips and instead kisses her finger. Then with all the awkward sweetness of the lovestruck, inexperienced teenager he is, he suggests she show him a few more things that she wasn't able to get to the other night.