PDA

View Full Version : Applying Reliable Talent to initiative or ANY ability check.

Whammydill
2014-09-26, 09:12 AM
Would a character who is at least Bard 2 and Rogue 11 be allowed to utilize Reliable Talent on initiative rolls? This could even apply to all ability checks if so.

Given that initiative is a Dexterity check...

Jack of all trades
Starting at 2nd level, you can add half your proficiency bonus, rounded down, to any ability check you make that doesn’t already include your proficiency bonus.

Reliable Talent
By 11th level, you have refined your chosen skills until they approach perfection. Whenever you make an ability check that lets you add your proficiency bonus, you can treat a d20 roll of 9 or lower as a 10.

Seems like it would, or does it have to be the whole application of the proficiency bonus?

Rilak
2014-09-26, 09:17 AM
Seems like it would, or does it have to be the whole application of the proficiency bonus?

Yes, it needs to be a full proficiency bonus.

Demonic Spoon
2014-09-26, 10:00 AM
It's ambiguous. If it needs to be "your proficiency bonus", specifically meaning 1 * your proficiency bonus rather than .5 * your proficiency bonus, then presumably it wouldn't work if you somehow got to add twice your proficiency bonus, which would be silly.

If I were DM, I would rule that if you got the proficiency bonus from Jack of All Trades, it doesn't count for Reliable Talent simply because that's way too much of a bonus to way too many skills.

Whammydill
2014-09-26, 11:12 AM
I'd tend to agree it would be pretty powerful. One can always rule that it specifies "chosen skill" which would mean it has to be one of your skills derived from you class/background..etc.