PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas for a Lolth encounter please!

Solace of Tides
2014-09-26, 09:19 AM
I have a level 12 human artificer (lawful neutral) & a Drow Assassin (same level chaotic evil) who are wandering through the abyss. they are going to find a spider gate & start climbing on a giant spider web where they will be attacked by spiders (not sure what else yet...ideas please) & lolth. I was thinking lolth could/would test the drow & then give him an assignment to make him her champion or something? But I wasn't sure how she would act, if she would just swiftly kill him without a sacrifice or something. That's what I needed ideas for. Also would she just kill the human or would he have a chance to escape or persuade her to let him live? How would you play it? They have to cross the spiderweb to get to the botton of a mountain pass (a bandit's layer will be there leading them to an open crevice in the mountain with a red dragon leading to an iron fortress with demons :) ).

Need ideas what would you do. Thanks! & most importantly how would Lolth speak with them/what would she offer them?

Bad Wolf
2014-09-26, 09:58 AM
She'd offer the Drow something in exchange for killing the human. She's mean like that.

afroakuma
2014-09-26, 10:21 AM
I'd just like to start by pointing out that we're better able to help you when you respond to what is posted. Please follow up on ideas that are shared, even if it's just to identify ones that don't work for you or thank the people who contribute.

climbing on a giant spider web where they will be attacked by spiders (not sure what else yet...ideas please) & lolth.

It is unreasonable for a pair of 12th level characters wandering in the Abyss to encounter Lolth. Some agent or proxy of Lolth, like the envoy of LolthEttDP certainly, but the goddess herself doesn't even reside on the plane.

I was thinking lolth could/would test the drow & then give him an assignment to make him her champion or something?

"Champion of Lolth" isn't handed out to males (drow are a matriarchy) and it's roughly the equivalent title to "Fly in the Web." Lolth has nothing but contempt for her followers and prizes their deaths above all others.

They have to cross the spiderweb to get to the botton of a mountain pass (a bandit's layer will be there leading them to an open crevice in the mountain with a red dragon leading to an iron fortress with demons :) ).

If this is the case, encountering her servants, followers and demons would make more sense.

You can use the half-fiend, fiendish, Lolth-touchedMMIV and corrupted by the AbyssEttDP templates to good effect on spider-themed monsters such as ettercaps, araneas, chelicerasMMIII and harpoon spidersMMIII. Web golemsMMIII, bebiliths, various drow with class levels and yochlolFCI would nicely round out the encounter diversity, to say nothing of tons of fiendish monstrous spiders.

Rickshaw
2014-09-26, 10:52 AM
Loath really is a fickle b****...

What you could do is have rp encounters as well as the monster encounters (driders!) where they party runs into either ppl wrapped up in webs or the ghosts of ppl wrapped up in webs talk to them and explain that lolth really is just gonna kill them if she runs into them. Similarly, any agent of hers is also gonna just try to kill them unless "quest mcguffin" and have them get lolths favor that way.

The quest McGuffen could be things like an alter self spell to make the drow female, a bunch of soul gems containing souls of the clergy of an opposed religion (probably that one CG Elven god), or the actual clerics themselves, etc.

They could also have a chance encounter where they actually see a servant or even envoy of loath deal with other adventurers/petitioners to really hammer home exactly how bad an idea actually wanting a convo with lolth is. Think of her as Stalin with a god spider body.

PraxisVetli
2014-09-26, 03:14 PM
I promote Bebiliths!