PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next catfolk for 5e

Stan
2014-09-26, 09:28 AM
I'm starting a new campaign. One of the people wants to play a cat person. It's with family who are not hardcore crunch players but I'd still like it reasonably balanced. Here's my first draft.

medium sized

move 30 feet.

darkvision

+2 dexterity, +1 charisma

advantage on all dexterity saves

one extra skill chosen from acrobatics, perception, or stealth

tooth and nail: may make one unarmed melee attack in place of a weapon attack with either a bite (piercing damage) or claw (slashing damage) attack. This attack counts as light, finesse weapon and does 1d4 damage.

Obviously, this would make a good rogue, I'm hoping roughly equal to an elf or halfling, but not superior. it could also be used as a charisma based caster or a noncaster built for dex based fighting. I think advantage on dex saves is the strongest - it amounts to almost never failing a dex save if the class has proficiency in dex saves or getting a third good save if not.

The attack ability is intended to be nearly useless as too much in this area can allow a caster to fight nearly as well as a noncaster for free on top of their other abilities. But it could be helpful to a caster who doesn't want to carry a weapon or those rare times when a character doesn't have a weapon.

Feedback appreciated, especially for alternative features.

Rfkannen
2014-09-26, 09:40 AM
I'm starting a new campaign. One of the people wants to play a cat person. It's with family who are not hardcore crunch players but I'd still like it reasonably balanced. Here's my first draft.

medium sized

move 30 feet.

darkvision

tooth and nail: may make one unarmed melee attack in place of a weapon attack with either a bite (piercing damage) or claw (slashing damage) attack. This attack counts as light, finesse weapon and does 1d4 damage.

Obviously, this would make a good rogue, I'm hoping roughly equal to an elf or halfling, but not superior. it could also be used as a charisma based caster or a noncaster built for dex based fighting. I think advantage on dex saves is the strongest - it amounts to almost never failing a dex save if the class has proficiency in dex saves or getting a third good save if not.

The attack ability is intended to be nearly useless as too much in this area can allow a caster to fight nearly as well as a noncaster for free on top of their other abilities. But it could be helpful to a caster who doesn't want to carry a weapon or those rare times when a character doesn't have a weapon.

Feedback appreciated, especially for alternative features.

Medium sounds good

move 30 sounds good, I don't know though I could see it being 35 if you get rid of advantage.

darkvision- of course

Seems like good stats

Not sure why but always advantage sounds a bit op, maby slow fall or something weaker.

Decent skills.

I am not sure about the melee atacks, no real frame of reverance.

Well on comparing it to an elf rogue, I would say this is just flat out superior, I mean advantage is pretty powerufl.

Whammydill
2014-09-26, 09:55 AM
Maybe change it to where they can add half their proficiency modifier to Dex saves if they do not already have it as a class save.

Ramshack
2014-09-26, 10:03 AM
Maybe change it to where they can add half their proficiency modifier to Dex saves if they do not already have it as a class save.

I kind of like something like Proficient in dex save if not part of a class skill, gain expertise in the dex save if it is part of the class skill.

I'm also not a fan of the bonus attack. I was thinking something like advantage of perception checks that involve hearing, and maybe something like the hafling nimbleness or the monks slow fall.

That being said, I normally let plays pick an existing race and then just let them say they look like a cat instead of trying to create a new race. I would probably allow them to either use the elf, halfling or half elf template and then let them describe their appearance.

Mr.Moron
2014-09-26, 10:08 AM
Racial bonuses to saves should not refer to save types, but rather classes of effects. "Advantage on Dex saves" is not in line with the 5e style.

"Advantage on saves to avoid being knocked prone or restrained" or similar would be the correct way to format this.

Tooth & Nail should probably just modify unarmed strikes, rather than treating it as a new ability.

otherwise fine.

1of3
2014-09-26, 10:44 AM
Racial bonuses to saves should not refer to save types, but rather classes of effects. "Advantage on Dex saves" is not in line with the 5e style.

"Advantage on saves to avoid being knocked prone or restrained" or similar would be the correct way to format this.

Yes, that's better.

Stan
2014-09-26, 10:48 AM
Tooth & Nail should probably just modify unarmed strikes, rather than treating it as a new ability.

That was the intent. As it's in place of a weapon attack, it's doesn't offer any bonus actions. I could have stated it simpler as unarmed attacks do 1d4 damage.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2014-09-26, 10:52 AM
medium sized

move 30 feet.

darkvision

The advantage on Dex saves is really powerful. I might tone it down to once per short rest, just to avoid shenanigans.

Why the weird restriction on the unarmed attack? Why not just let them have a full-blown natural attack in both hands? Always having dagger-grade weaponry available for two-weapon fighting isn't very overpowered, and there's no synergy with the monk class. Heck, I don't even think that having them do 1d6 damage would be overpowered either. I would remove the bite and just leave the claws for simplicity.

Rfkannen
2014-09-26, 10:56 AM
That was the intent. As it's in place of a weapon attack, it's doesn't offer any bonus actions. I could have stated it simpler as unarmed attacks do 1d4 damage.

I would then state it so that you say you can decide your unarmed atack damage type, and they do 1d4 instead of 1. Therfor a monk can bite people.

pwykersotz
2014-09-26, 11:48 AM
How has Sartharina not replied to this thread yet? :smalltongue:

EternalHobbyist
2014-09-28, 12:43 AM
How has Sartharina not replied to this thread yet? :smalltongue:

I'm guessing "not enough nudity"...?

As for cat people, I agree the Dex saves is OP relative to other races, and I like Mr. Moron's idea of Advantage vs. Prone. Might add Adv. vs Surprise or something similar if I was doing it.

eastmabl
2014-09-28, 01:28 AM
Advantage on Dexterity saving throws against falling and falling damage might also be cat like.

Doomchild
2014-09-28, 01:33 AM
Adv on all Dex saves is way too powerful here. Other suggestions, good ones, have been made in thread, so refer to those.

This might also be too powerful, but consider multiattack. Sounds crazy at 1st level, compared to other options, but if the claws deal 1d4 damage and multiattack can only be used with the claws, then even a +3 modifier added to both attacks is only slightly better than unsupported TWF (in that it doesn't use a bonus action). The damage is equivalent to middle of the road (1d8+3 + 1d6 is avg 11 as is 1d4+3 + 1d4+3). It would be very flavorful to also allow a bonus action bite for 1d6 or 1d8 when/if both claws hit, but that sends it a bit overboard probably.

What is probably for the best is changing it so that once per short rest you can gain advantage on a Dexterity save, and that you can choose piercing (bite) or slashing (claws) for your unarmed attacks, which deal 1d4 rather than 1d3 damage. Now, with those nerfs in place I might go ahead and add one more little racial trait in there... something like... opponents do not gain advantage when attacking a prone Catfolk and standing from prone costs a Catfolk only 5ft of movement.

Stan
2014-09-28, 10:49 AM
Considering that most saves are vs. magic, the gnome's advantage on all mental stat saves will apply more often than advantage to dex saves. I'm going to stick with advantage to dex saves, it's simpler to remember than saves that apply only occasionally and the race as written is a tad weak without it.

Steel Mirror
2014-09-28, 11:24 AM
Considering that most saves are vs. magic, the gnome's advantage on all mental stat saves will apply more often than advantage to dex saves. I'm going to stick with advantage to dex saves, it's simpler to remember than saves that apply only occasionally and the race as written is a tad weak without it.I'm actually not sure that's true.

Dex saves are probably the most common save in games that I play, even for magical effects. Fireballs, Flamestrikes, Cordon of Arrows and the like are just more commonly seen than charms, dominates, and mind blasts, especially at lower levels. Once you throw in nonmagical dex saves like pit traps, breath weapons, avalanches, being tripped or pushed by opponents, dodging trap projectiles, and so on, I have easily rolled more dex saves in 5E than I have all the mental saves combined.

I don't think it will be ruinously overpowered, should you decide to go with it for the catfolk, but it's definitely incredibly good compared to what the PHB races get.

Aramis Rhett
2014-09-28, 12:44 PM
A racial I think worth considering, Fear of Water: Submerging itself in water above the knee forces the Catfolk to make a Constitution saving throw or flee the water. One successful save will keep the Catfolk in the water as long as needed, but failed saves must wait to try again until it's next turn.
Odd racial I know, but would make some Modules and Campaigns very interesting to say the least.

Daishain
2014-09-28, 01:17 PM
A racial I think worth considering, Fear of Water: Submerging itself in water above the knee forces the Catfolk to make a Constitution saving throw or flee the water. One successful save will keep the Catfolk in the water as long as needed, but failed saves must wait to try again until it's next turn.
Odd racial I know, but would make some Modules and Campaigns very interesting to say the least.
You do realize that the "cats hate water" thing is almost exclusive to domesticated variants right? Very few of the larger felines, which the catfolk are based off of, particularly mind getting wet. Lions and tigers in particular are known for being excellent swimmers.

Aramis Rhett
2014-09-28, 01:54 PM
You do realize that the "cats hate water" thing is almost exclusive to domesticated variants right? Very few of the larger felines, which the catfolk are based off of, particularly mind getting wet. Lions and tigers in particular are known for being excellent swimmers.

I do realize that. I just suggested it. Insane dex save or not, a spray bottle will still male them skittish.

rlc
2014-09-28, 04:52 PM
here's what i have:

Tabaxi
+2 Dexterity, +1 Wisdom
Proficient in Stealth.
Darkvision
Gets standing leap and the lunge battle maneuver at level 1.
Innate spellcasting, with wisdom (or, hell, make it dexterity, because why not):
1/day feather fall at level 3
1/day spider climb at level 5

edit: and i like the fear of water thing. sounds funny and would work well. 10/10.

MadGrady
2014-09-29, 11:19 AM
We recently created our own catfolk, here is what we did:

+2 Dex, +1 Wis
Darkvision
Full speed on climb checks (due to claws)
Choose 2 proficiences from :Acrobatics, Athletics, Stealth, Deception
Edit - they also get Keen senses

Sartharina
2014-09-29, 05:33 PM
I have catfolk for my own campaign.

They are:

Ability scores. +1 Dex, +2 Cha.
Darkvision
Nimble balance - Advantage on saves to avoid falling and reduce falling damage. Advantage on Dexterity(Acrobatics) and Strength(Athletics) checks to jump.
Magnificent Pelt: When unarmored, a catfolk's armor class is 10+Charisma Modifier+Dexterity Modifier. (Monks and Barbarians can use WIS or CON instead of CHA, respectively)

They make good sorcerers.

BRKNdevil
2014-09-29, 07:29 PM
I'd say by comparing it to the 3.5 Catfolk (which was at a +1 LA) just drop the dex advantage and make it two skills (Perception and Stealth) and drop the melee attack and add something fluffy like you can talk to cats and cat like magical creatures since you start with Feline as a Known Language. Or maybe something amusing like the Tibbet from Dragon Compendium's ability to turn into a cat but make it like the current druid's wildshape.

Sartharina
2014-09-30, 10:50 AM
Giving skill proficiencies is boring.

Galen
2014-09-30, 04:48 PM
I would add: "when making a skill check to climb or jump, the catfolk may use his Dexterity modifier instead of his Strength modifier". Captures the flavor of a cat, methinks.

wilhelmdubdub
2016-08-24, 06:31 AM
I see them as rangers and druids more then bards or sorcerers. And that they have keen senses (perception). That being said, I would go with +1 wisdom.