PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Nerd-off Challenge!!!!! (The Name Game)

Doc_Pippin
2014-09-26, 10:08 AM
So the challege is to identify (and if needed explain) the most famous, infamous, beloved, hated, iconic, and/or memerable NPCs of any and all D&D eras. This can include player-made & non-canon NPCs and characters that have become quasi-famous. (Such as Pun-Pun & Bunko)

Extra Points if you can find some supposedly big name NPCs that were either forgotten by most or hidden too well for others too sniff out. (I.E like Mr. Slur from planescape)

Ill start it off with some classics like

The Lady of Pain
The Serpent (The One that spoke to Vecna)
Grimtooth
Minsc and Boo

and off course Drizzt

And of course the "Iconic" Character class personalities:

Regdar, Tordek, Alhandra, Krusk, Soveliss, Jozan, Eberk, Lidda, Mialee, Hennet, Aramil, Gimble, Devis, Nebin, Ember, Vadania, Kerwyn, Naull, Athain, Korrin, Deruwyn, Meara, Morthos, Arthon, Sorra, Ialdabode, Mitra, Kazak, Ragnara, Sandharrow, Eulad, Xerxes

Jurai
2014-09-26, 10:53 AM
No love for Otik, proprietor of the Inn of the Last Home in Solace, on the continent of Ansalon on the world of Krynn? No love for Rhys Mason, the man responsible for bringing Mina, Goddess of Tears, to her divine place on Krynn after the War of Souls? No love for Conundrum, mapper of the hedge maze of the Citadel of Light on Schallsea?

Doc_Pippin
2014-09-26, 11:06 AM
:eek: Yaaaaaa I never did dragonlance so I didn't throw any in, but nice add-ons :cool:

nedz
2014-09-26, 11:18 AM
Pun Pun is a build and not a character.

None of these exist in my setting, so they mean nothing to me.

You are missing some obvious oldies: Bigby, Mordenkainen, etc. — but then these are just names of spells.

Hamste
2014-09-26, 12:20 PM
No love for Otik, proprietor of the Inn of the Last Home in Solace, on the continent of Ansalon on the world of Krynn? No love for Rhys Mason, the man responsible for bringing Mina, Goddess of Tears, to her divine place on Krynn after the War of Souls? No love for Conundrum, mapper of the hedge maze of the Citadel of Light on Schallsea?

Blah, I disliked that ending to the Mina story line so much. Loved conundrum though I only read about him in a single book. Anyways I'm going with Chemosh the first undead god I have seen who realized that he needed to make undead and necromancers look good plus was actually creative about it. Of course other than that one story line he was mostly side character but that one series of books made him memorable for me.

Also the High Blup's wife (I might have misspelled his name), she was pretty memorable

dascarletm
2014-09-26, 12:48 PM
I gotta say, Evard, and his iconic spell has probably spawned the most jokes relating to the darker side of Japanese Manga at gaming tables across the nation.
This is just like one of my Japanese Animes

PsyBomb
2014-09-26, 01:59 PM
Don't forget Ottiluk, for freezing stuff solid before Elsa made it cool *rimshot*

Doc_Pippin
2014-09-26, 02:00 PM
I gotta say, Evard, and his iconic spell has probably spawned the most jokes relating to the darker side of Japanese Manga at gaming tables across the nation.
This is just like one of my Japanese Animes

Ah yes Evard's Big Black Tentacle porrr...... wait a minute I know almost nothing about him other than his twisted spell and the fact he had something to do with shadows.

Don't forget Ottiluk, for freezing stuff solid before Elsa made it cool *rimshot*

Oh poor Ottiluk, so smart yet so incredibly stupid

EisenKreutzer
2014-09-26, 02:56 PM
Medium Rary, possibly the first joke character in D&D history.
Nordom, because modrons are awesome.
Morte, of course.
Tasslehoff Burrfoot, because who doesn't love to hate kenders?

Jurai
2014-09-27, 08:20 AM
Fisrt off, the man's name is Otiluke, not Ottiluk, and second off, no love for Cadderly of Carradoon, son of Aballister Bonaduce, most powerful wizard of Castle Trinity after the Time of Troubles, who defeated his father, and the machinations of the imp Druzil? Then there's Tasha, or should I say Iggwilv, Witch of the Perrenlands, mother of Iuz, ruler of the nation of the same name. Nolzur, who left the Company of Eight after getting into a dispute with Keoghtom over his SAAAALVE! Then there's Rupert, nightmare of Spelljammer's Tinker Gnomes.

BWR
2014-09-27, 09:11 AM
What, just drop names? What's the cut off to stop us from just listing any old NPC?

Aleena the cleric, first NPC and first in-game love for a lot of players.
Bargle, the rat bastard of a magic user who killed her.
Etienne d'Abreville/Rad - unofficial leader of Glantri, hidden god in a country of political atheists. Both looks and position makes it seem as though Dumbledore is shameless rip-off.
Baron Ludwig von Hendricks, the Black Eagle - long-term oppnent for those who started adventuring in Karameikos. Employer of that bastard Bargle.
Strahd von Zarovich - best vampire in the game
Azalin - powerful and limited
Lord Soth - better in Ravenloft than he ever was on Krynn
Rajaat - closest thing Dark Sun has to a god
Borys of Ebe - the dragon of Athas
Tasha - wonderful sense of humor, that gal
Tharizdun - the Elemental Evil
Sir Geffen - in a few short pages of flavor text he shows what it means to be a paladin
Sturm Brightblade - the best (read: my favorite) character in the Dragonlance story. Honor and duty.
Rudolf van Richten - whose Guides brought life and depth to some of the most popular monsters in the game.
Akin the Friendly Fiend - runs a magic shop and is unfaillingly polite and friendly with no interest in politics, schemes or blackmail. No one has gotten so much as a hint that he's anything but what he appears. He's also a yugoloth.
Tarsheva Longreach - famous planewalking blood who dispenses wisdom to clueless Primes
Xanxost - most entertaining guide ever

I can keep this up for hours. How famous and how obscure do we want to go?