PDA

View Full Version : DM Help 3.5 Running an NPC...

SillyBee
2014-09-26, 10:10 AM
Hiya all!

Quick question for all you wonderful people!

If you were running a game for 2 players that is Urban centered(actually running a 3.5 game in the Council of Thieves module for Pathfinder) and need to run an NPC to give them some extra oomph, what would you run?

Starting at level 1, all WotC books allowed.

Currently have a Bard and a Ranger. Ranger is going melee and Bard is the social butterfly, face, support for the group. Ranger has an Animal Companion as a druid.

Anyone have ideas or suggestions on what I should run as the npc?

Thanks in advance!

Eonir
2014-09-26, 10:21 AM
How about a Noble (http://dndtools.eu/classes/noble/)? My personal favorite DMNPC.

lytokk
2014-09-26, 10:42 AM
I can't really think of any big holes in that party. Both of the classes can provide some healing, the animal companion makes a good flanker and damage soaker, ranger can make a decent damage dealer and the bard provides the buffs. The bard can also do a decent enough job of taking care of the basic arcane casting they'll need. Maybe a warmage to provide some magic blasting potential, yet stay in line with the other members of the party?

I would have suggested a barbarian, which might work too. My only worry would be a barbarian in an urban setting, doesn't fit well in my mind. But it works for an NPC who's only real purpose is to cause damage and maybe provide a little bit of comic relief.

ILM
2014-09-26, 10:55 AM
Kid of depends on what's coming up in the module, I think. I'd suggest the following:
- a healbot: sure, the Bard can do it too, but it frees up actions for him to do more meaningful stuff;
- a frontline melee-type, preferably more damage sponge/battlefield control than straight hitter to avoid overshadowing them (Crusader maybe? Paladin might work too if you don't railroad them with a code of conduct and various alignment-related headaches);
- a primary caster if you really think they'll need the magic, but you need to be extra careful playing him like the third fiddle he is.

ramrod
2014-09-26, 08:02 PM
I don't like the idea of running any dm npc that has to make decisions such as who to attack as you inevitably either have to go random which can be very bad or unconsciously choosing optimal or suboptimal courses.

A class such as a cleric would be beneficial. Being able to wear armor and get decent personal buffs they can front line or act as a flanker, heal and provide some combat control.

Clerics are also natural support classes at the lower levels as they will always be acting a round or so behind the tank due to buffing or wanting to weigh up the situation for before getting in over your head.

The dm npc I run is a warlock. He can heal from a ranged distance and is super durable meaning that I won't have to keep reroll in when he inevitably gets hit :)