View Full Version : Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang [PrC]

Maerok
2007-03-13, 02:39 PM
Witch Doctor

http://myspace-741.vo.llnwd.net/00600/14/74/600064741_m.gif
HD: d4
Levels: 5

Prerequisites:
Spellcasting: Able to cast level three arcane spells without preparation.
Feats: Brew Potion, Skill Focus (Craft[Alchemy])
Skills: Craft(Alchemy) 8 ranks

Skills:
Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Heal, Hide, Intimidate, Knowledge (all), Perform, Profession, Spellcraft, Survival

Skill Points: 2 + Int modifier
BAB and Saves:
BAB: 1:2
Fort: Good
Ref: Poor
Will: Good

Class Features:

NAME OF CLASS
{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells

1st|
+0|
+2|
+0|
+2|Dedicated Potionmaking; Free Sample; Cauldron Focus 1|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+0|
+3|Identify Potion, Bone Scrying|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

3rd|
+1|
+3|
+1|
+3|Multiple Effects, Cauldron Focus 2|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

4th|
+2|
+4|
+1|
+4|Improved Recipe, Zombify|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

5th|
+2|
+4|
+1|
+4|Potion Master, Cauldron Focus 3|+1 level of existing spellcasting class[/table]

[[Ability (Level): Effect.]]

Spellcasting (Each Level): At each level, a witch doctor gains an additional spellcasting level for the purpose of spells per day, spell level, and gaining new spells. He does not benefit from any other features of that spellcasting class.

Dedicated Potionmaking (Each Level): Upon receiving each level, a witch doctor chooses one spell from their spell list that they could normally make a potion or oil for. The caster level of any potion or oil of that spell he creates is increased by 1. He may craft that potion or oil without using up that spell, even if it is no longer on his spell list. He must, however, expend a total number of spell levels equal to the target spell level.

Free Sample (1): A witch doctor may take a small taste of a potion or use a slight amount of an oil, receiving its benefits as if its caster level were 1. He gains a +2 bonus on saves against any of its negative effects. Only one sip can be taken per potion or oil. Another attempt drinks the entire potion.

Cauldron Focus 1 (1): As a witch doctor progresses, his power at casting certain spells increases if given the proper items. He may add a 250 gp cauldron (as a masterwork tool for Craft[Alchemy]; may cost more) as a focus (or additional focus) to spells of certain schools, he receives the noted benefit to his caster level on all conjuration, evocation, divination, and necromancy spells. Any cauldron applicable to this ability may be used in place of a mirror for any spell requiring such a focus (scrying, etc.).

Identify Potion (2): By spending a 1d6 minutes examining a potion or oil, a witch doctor may automatically identify its contents.

Bone Scrying (2): By spending a full-round action and using a handful of small bones worth 25 gp from a corpse no older than 12 hours, a witch doctor can gain the benefit of augury, status, or speak with dead. Caster level is equal to the witch doctor's arcane spellcasting level, and lasts for two rounds per class level.

Multiple Effects (3): A witch doctor can combine several effects into a single potion or oil. He can craft a potion with two 2nd level spells as a 4th level potion. The caster level, for the purpose of cost to sell or create, is treated as 50% higher.

Cauldron Focus 2 (3)

Improved Recipe (4): At third level, a witch doctor may craft potions or oils out of 4th level spells.

Zombify (4): Upon performing a one hour ceremony on a helpless living creature, the victim gains the Zombie template. They keep any skills, feats, class levels, and Intelligence score. They do not become Undead, but gain Undead traits. Their Intelligence is reduced to 3 and cannot cast spells. This servant follows the witch doctor for one week before being freed from its servitude (Zombie template is removed). A witch doctor may only have up to two such Zombie Servants at a time.

Potion Master (5): A highly trained witch doctor can craft a potion or oil in one hour per 50 gp in its price, to a minimum of 1 hour. A witch doctor cannot make more than five potions in a single day. The DC of any potion he creates is increased by 2 and lasts as if its caster level were four higher.

Cauldron Focus 3 (5)

Orzel
2007-03-13, 02:46 PM
No Revive chicken class feature?
At least summon Mega Ultra Chicken?

Nice flavor for a potion master but it's very weak.

Maerok
2007-03-13, 04:33 PM
Oh, I forgot spellcasting progression. But I'm probably going to retool this so that it gets a more religious/diviner feel to it.

Phoenix Talion
2007-03-13, 04:40 PM
Also, I think you mean Skill Focus (Craft: Alchemy) not spell focus.

Maerok
2007-03-13, 04:51 PM
Good catch. I've added some more stuff (need a table, no luck with them).

Moofaa
2007-03-13, 05:43 PM
I like the flavor of this class. If I use it I will have to make some adjustments, since my fantasy world uses a custom mana-based magic system. Could be cool.

levi
2007-03-13, 06:02 PM
I like it, but I haven't really examined it enough to evaluate balance, etc. You're right though, it needs a table pretty badly. Tables are pretty easy to do. I was gonna include an example, but I remebered the Basics of Homebrew thread has a whole slew of them, premade for classes and everything, so I'm not gonna bother. Go check it out.

I like the potion master idea, I'm not so sure I feel about a diviner focus. Also, could this class be adapted to work with Warlocks? I think Complete Arcane has info on that sort of thing.

ExHunterEmerald
2007-03-13, 06:18 PM
I can see a horrible potential for abuse from the ability to craft several hundred thousand potions using your gold without the XP loss.

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-03-13, 08:01 PM
I can see a horrible potential for abuse from the ability to craft several hundred thousand potions using your gold without the XP loss.

Agreed, Potion Master is horridly broken.

What does Cauldron Mastery 2 and 3 do?

Interesting concept, but I think it needs some more work.

Maerok
2007-03-13, 09:51 PM
CM 2 and 3 just increase the caster level bonus to +2 and then +3. Does anyone have an alternative to the Potion Master ability? I've redone it so he still needs XP but can make them quickly (up to five/day) and gets some DC and duration boosts.

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-03-13, 10:05 PM
Noxious Cloud (Su):
A Witch Doctor is not someone to be trifled with. To do a Noxious Cloud, he must have his Cauldron ready. He may throw a number of potions equal to his caster level into the Cauldron as a full-round action which provokes an attack of opportunity.. A billowing cloud of noxious vapors rises up from the Cauldron the following round, growing up to 10' X 20' in size by the end of that round, centered on the Cauldron. The Witch Doctor may command the cloud to move up to 30' per turn as a full-round action which does not provoke an attack of opportunity, but does require concentration checks if he is distracted or takes damage. Anyone within the cloud, other than the Witch Doctor, will take the effect of all the potions he threw into the cauldron for as long as they remain in the cloud. If those inside the cloud wish to save, they must make the save appropriate to the spell effects, and must save vs each effect seperately, as though the Witch Doctor had cast each of them.

TheThan
2007-03-13, 10:17 PM
Wow I really like this, aside from the above mentioned problems I see it as a fantastic class, goes well with my homebrewed gnome barbarians.

Maerok
2007-03-14, 06:49 PM
I think this could be easily adapted to a Warlock. Anyone who uses this has whatever rights to change it around. Perhaps Dedicated Potion Master allows the warlock to choose one or two Wiz/Sor spell(s) of 3rd level (eventually 4th) or below. And then the Invocations would progress as normal (+1 caster level should handle that, never seen a Warlock PrC).

Neek
2007-03-14, 09:58 PM
Good flavor for a class (and a great, catchy title... which now is stuck in my head, grr!) So, uhm, where's the head shrinking ability?