PDA

View Full Version : Erfworld 33

Jiktori
2007-03-13, 02:43 PM
Heh,

I don't get the end bit though

Dragor
2007-03-13, 02:45 PM
Probably going to be continued next comic, unless I'm simply humourless and don't get much....

DocZoid
2007-03-13, 02:45 PM
Sizemore's in my dirtz killin my doodz :(

Jiktori
2007-03-13, 02:46 PM
Well, I get that the Tool 'ordered' him to learn to use it, so I guess that order then made him use it by accident instead of being able to speak or something. I don't get the last two panels though.

1337_master
2007-03-13, 02:47 PM
hmmm...strange book...I like it.

TheOtherMC
2007-03-13, 02:49 PM
Hmmm... "ImInUrDirtz"

Come one! Its Sizemore!!!!! Everybody's favorite dirtamancer....or crapamancer....forgot which..

Legendary
2007-03-13, 02:49 PM
Heh. "Bunghole" Stanley is quite amusing.

Second-to-last panel: Hamster gets a message
Last panel: We see the message. It's probably from our favorite Dirtomancer, as Bogroll doesn't have one all other major characters have been accounted for.

DocZoid
2007-03-13, 02:52 PM
Good point.

averagejoe
Well, and because it included a variation on the word "dirt" in his username.

Kingolf
The book is like a chatroom, is my guess. Or possibly an IM program.

Dirtamancer Sizemore somehow knew either that Parson "logged on," or could read what he'd written.

zapperchamp
2007-03-13, 02:55 PM
Yeah, I couldn't figure out why Bogroll would be using the book if he couldn't read unless he did it by accident. Then I realized that it was Sizemore, the dirt guy. He does have a humorous name though. I had forgotten that Parson couldn't speak until ordered to so I was confused why he was trying to get Bogroll to tell him to speak.

Also, is Stanley going to try to run the first turn of the battle? Is that what he means by "I'll handle Ansom's turn myself"?

LCR
2007-03-13, 02:56 PM
Hey, I've got an iBook!
Still got to type, though.

Sir_Faust
2007-03-13, 03:01 PM
Im in your 'somethin'z doing/killing 'something'z, is an internet meme. Someone keeps on sending me pictures of cats saying im in your cord, stealing your internets.

Orzel
2007-03-13, 03:04 PM
Im in Ur Dirtz Killing Ur wurmz

It keep the book types the owners thoughts into the books linked to it as long as the owner has it open.
Also each person makes a different sound when they post.

Awesome.

spite48
2007-03-13, 03:16 PM
Very interesting. I wonder if they can communicate with Ansom's crew.

happyturtle
2007-03-13, 03:19 PM
Also, is Stanley going to try to run the first turn of the battle? Is that what he means by "I'll handle Ansom's turn myself"?

So he just paid a bunch of money to summon the perfect warlord, and he's going to put him on the bench? Somehow, I don't think Wanda will be happy when she learns this.

SteveMB
2007-03-13, 03:22 PM
Then I realized that it was Sizemore, the dirt guy. He does have a humorous name though.
It's a bit more distinctive than the other nicknames (Looking back to page 2 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0002.html), I notice that Wanda doesn't even bother with that much.)

I had forgotten that Parson couldn't speak until ordered to so I was confused why he was trying to get Bogroll to tell him to speak.
It didn't take him long to realize the loophole Stanley left by using the passive voice.

SteveMB
2007-03-13, 03:27 PM
Very interesting. I wonder if they can communicate with Ansom's crew.
Apparently Ansom's people don't use that particular device, or Jillian wouldn't have needed the top hat.

No doubt they can communicate some way or other, if they want to.

Woot Spitum
2007-03-13, 03:29 PM
Lord Stanley is flying out to do some fighting, probably against Prince Ansom. Parson stays behind to coordinate the forces and command from the headquarters. It looks to me as if strategy has been completely handed over to Parson.

innovan
2007-03-13, 03:33 PM
"Shut up until you're ordered to speak" --anyone can order him to speak again.
"Shut up until I order you to speak" --only the speaker can undo.

Nice one snuck in there under our noses, but I hope not much more of the plot turns on such fine grammatical distinctions in how orders are given.

chionophile
2007-03-13, 03:34 PM
Hmm. "I'll handle Ansom's turn myself." That doesn't make much sense to me, in the TBS frame of reference. When it's not your turn, you can't do anything. You just sit there and watch while the other player\computer moves or attacks you.

happyturtle
2007-03-13, 03:37 PM
Lord Stanley is flying out to do some fighting, probably against Prince Ansom. Parson stays behind to coordinate the forces and command from the headquarters. It looks to me as if strategy has been completely handed over to Parson.

I don't think Stanley can go anywhere if it's not his turn. Perhaps some war gamers could jump in here, but wouldn't he have to have gotten into position on his own turn in order to do any fighting in the off turn?

Stanley's last warlord was on a spidew out in the midst of the fighting. Will he expect Parson to do that too?

factotum
2007-03-13, 03:42 PM
I think that means that Stanley and Parson will be the war room and Stanley will be showing Parson how they handle these things in Erfworld. Also, in some TBS games you DO get to react in a limited way to your opponent--e.g. deciding if a unit that just came under attack stands and fights or retreats, for example.

In any case, this hardly counts as leaving his new warlord "on the bench" because we already know it will take Ansom several turns to reach and surround Gobwin Knob--the actual main fight doesn't start for a while yet.

benthehater
2007-03-13, 03:45 PM
ImInUrDirtz
MaknUrGolmz

Emperor Demonking
2007-03-13, 03:52 PM
I didn't get it or think it was any good, sorry.

Cobra_Ikari
2007-03-13, 03:56 PM
I love Erfworld so very, very much. Didn't catch on that it was Sizemore for quite a while, though...

Poor Bogroll... :P

Dread
2007-03-13, 03:57 PM
I didn't get everything either.
Also: Maybe I'm going into too much detail there,but in comic nr 2 (I think), stanley misspelled "somebody" ("smoebody"). How can you do a typo if you subvocalize? Or is this a real typo by the author?

Scientivore
2007-03-13, 03:59 PM
Hmm. "I'll handle Ansom's turn myself." That doesn't make much sense to me, in the TBS frame of reference. When it's not your turn, you can't do anything. You just sit there and watch while the other player\computer moves or attacks you.

Combat is depicted at the tactical level like in HoM&M and MoM. But, it appears that Stanley doesn't have any control over that...which could be precisely why it doesn't matter if his expensive new warlord doesn't handle Ansom's turn.

TheAnimal
2007-03-13, 04:03 PM
Eyebook <=> iBook?
Got to love the IM thingy.
So Sizemore is all 1337 now, is he? :smallamused:

Eikre
2007-03-13, 04:09 PM
I didn't get everything either.
Also: Maybe I'm going into too much detail there,but in comic nr 2 (I think), stanley misspelled "somebody" ("smoebody"). How can you do a typo if you subvocalize? Or is this a real typo by the author?

...You choose to wonder about that, and not how he manages to have a lack of correct punctuation, capitalization, the :( and the @ symbol?

Clearly, some things are just silly.

Jiktori
2007-03-13, 04:12 PM

Yeah, you're just going into too much detail. It's just not being "realistic". I think it's just more important to have that text speak there to properly introduce the Tool's personality.

Tolkien_Freak
2007-03-13, 04:16 PM
Heh, 'eyebook'...

The first thing he said was 'what the boop do you...', apparently in reference to Bogroll asking him to follow him.

Man, it would be annoying if you're someone like me, who constantly subvocalizes (and a lot of things I'd rather not have other people hear). Other than that, it'd be cool.

oogabooga
2007-03-13, 04:33 PM
Man, it would be annoying if you're someone like me, who constantly subvocalizes (and a lot of things I'd rather not have other people hear).
Maybe it only does that when you have it open; that'd be neat.

I'm glad to see the eyebook wasn't just a one-shot thing in the 2nd comic, it's cool. And now we know what it's called (though I admit I didn't even notice the pun until it was pointed out here).

Darth Paradox
2007-03-13, 04:38 PM
I'm pretty sure that page 2 indicates, then, that Stanley actually thinks in chatspeak.

The horror.

Marina
2007-03-13, 04:41 PM
did you notice that Stanly only has fingers when he absolutely needs them?:)

TigerHunter
2007-03-13, 04:42 PM
I'm pretty sure that page 2 indicates, then, that Stanley actually thinks in chatspeak.

The horror.
I believe I cited Stanley's use of chatspeak in a thread a while back as proof that Goblin Knob were the bad guys.

Marina
2007-03-13, 04:45 PM
I think that panel 2 conversation was there just to make fun about how Stanley speaks comparing to Wanda, and to show their personalities

Skydiving_Ninja
2007-03-13, 04:49 PM
I want an eyebook. Not those silly iBooks, but an eyebook.

averagejoe
2007-03-13, 05:06 PM
did you notice that Stanly only has fingers when he absolutely needs them?:)

The same is true for most of the other Erfworld characters (that is, the ones from Erfworld, not from the comic Erfworld.) At least, Wanda and Jillian. I'd have to check the others to be sure, but I am, reasonably.

Jothki
2007-03-13, 05:54 PM

Well, that's why he can handle it. You're still going to want to watch the moves that your opponent makes, even if you can't immediately react to them.

Jorkens
2007-03-13, 06:01 PM
Hmmm... the book in comic 2 seems to work as a private message, not a chatroom. Maybe there's a way to do that that Parson hasn't figured out yet.

Misvit
2007-03-13, 06:32 PM
If I had anything to do with writing the thing, I would have added 2 more panels (obviously I don't have anything to do with writing the thing) One panel of Parson responding to Dirtz asking him to order Parson to speak. And a second panel looking at parson who is smiling that evil parson smile and looking down at the book, but we don't get to see the book, all we see is Dirtz "CHOO" noise. I'd add this to the comic mainly because you know Parson's going to get someone to say it, so why not wrap that up in this one, and I also like the idea of Parson being able to speak and simply no longer having to verbally acknowledge the Tool.

Peter Harris
2007-03-13, 06:36 PM
I want an eyeBook. I really, really do.

innovan
2007-03-13, 06:53 PM
"Help? Yeah. How did the last guy in this job die, and what can I do to protect myself from that?"

"Warlord, you would then want ...a helm. With arrow proof eye protection."

SteveMB
2007-03-13, 07:40 PM
If I had anything to do with writing the thing, I would have added 2 more panels (obviously I don't have anything to do with writing the thing) One panel of Parson responding to Dirtz asking him to order Parson to speak. And a second panel looking at parson who is smiling that evil parson smile and looking down at the book, but we don't get to see the book, all we see is Dirtz "CHOO" noise. I'd add this to the comic mainly because you know Parson's going to get someone to say it, so why not wrap that up in this one
Well, given that it's such an obvious next move, it can wait.

After a string of three strips on this scene, I can see why the authors usually cut back and forth more frequently -- longer blocks will probably work better after the story is all available, but a week and a half on one scene really whets the appetite to find out what's going on with Wanda's interrogation of Jillian and Ansom's progress on the attack.

Rambi
2007-03-13, 07:47 PM
"Help? Yeah. How did the last guy in this job die, and what can I do to protect myself from that?"

Don't forget armor without a bullseye on it.

Chibi Vampire
2007-03-13, 07:54 PM
I had completely forgotten about the book Wanda used in the second comic.http://http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0002.html

Toloran
2007-03-13, 07:57 PM
Oh, and for the record: The "ImInUrDirtz" internet meme started off a WC3 screenshot on the somethingawful forums. It became popular after this machall comic: http://www.machall.com/index.php?strip_id=336

That said: I want an eyebook too :(

DCR
2007-03-13, 08:14 PM
Natural 20 on Ramble On check:

Of course Stanley gets fingers when he needs them... I figure it's more the art style than his mittens seperating into falangies. And checking out pg 2, Stanley's a quack!

But if Sizemore can notice Hammy's on the eyebook, did he see the Ham Sir's message? If so, did STANLEY see the exploit? I'm thinking... no. But the Tool is a bit subtle when he's not venting. Stanley knows what he wants, and knows how get them (kinda, needs Wanda so he takes Jillian prisoner [if Manpower is an example, he could have her KILLED instead] -> Wanda's hobby). But he's not good at ironclad, inescapable wording.

Anyway, I think it's too soon for Hamster to be showing his ability to violate the spirit of the law. Parson shouldn't shoot his bolt until 1: he has a target worthy of it, and 2: he knows he'll hit his target.

Xenon
2007-03-13, 09:13 PM
interesting.

well, i suspect parson will find an even better use for our dirt-mancer.

Earendill
2007-03-13, 09:35 PM
Stanley and Sizemore are the only members of the (nearly lost) Plaid (as in Played) tribe. They are also the only ones using sorts of l33t or chat speak (unlike Wanda) for instance. Could it be because they are somehow Played Characters compared to the other NPC's ?

DCR
2007-03-13, 11:44 PM
Stanley and Sizemore are the only members of the (nearly lost) Plaid (as in Played) tribe. They are also the only ones using sorts of l33t or chat speak (unlike Wanda) for instance. Could it be because they are somehow Played Characters compared to the other NPC's ?

W.A.G to follow. Prob'ly been said before.
Count up the 'real' world's friends. Count up the major Erf chars. Hmmm.
Stan, Wanda, Jillian, Sizemore, Ansom.
Gamer chick, bullet hole smiley yamika (don't know reference, but that thing rocks!), Applegeeks, Orange monkey shirt.
Add Parson to that, and bingo! 5 to 5.
Stanley - Parson
Wanda - Gamer chick
And then it breaks down. Horribly. But it's still fun.
And it makes sense to me, for some reason.

Mustiado
2007-03-14, 12:15 AM
Okay, huge, long time lurker, who was lured out by the ingenious humor of this comic.

For the record, Manpower is a temp agency that used to be big back in the 80's. Hence "Lord Manpower the Temporary." It cracked me up, I had to share.

belboz
2007-03-14, 01:45 AM
OK, I have a theory about what Stanley meant about "handling Ansom's turn."

There are two components to a standard strategic wargame: the strategy part, and the rolling part.

Strategy--deciding which units to attack, and where you're going to move--only occurs on your turn. But you may still need to *roll* (to determine defensive success) on your opponent's turn, to react to attacks.

My guess is that actual fighting (as opposed to *where* troops go) in Erfworld is the analogue of die rolling. So Stanley's off to try to boost troop morale (read: roll dice where his opponent can't see them and lie about the results). He doesn't need his Warlord for that; Parson will help out with strategy when it's Stanley's turn again.

Ave
2007-03-14, 02:52 AM
What are the chances of Parson cracking his own eyeBook revealing new functionality?

Sam de Cheese
2007-03-14, 03:28 AM
I think that it's dissapointing that they've spent the past 3 issues (and who knows, maybe they'll go for a 4th), failing to establish which side of the good/evil spectrum they are on.

Xiander
2007-03-14, 03:52 AM
Maybe, just maybe, the authors are smart enough to figure out that noone with sense enough to lead a nation (however bad they are at it) will ever refer to them selves as evil. There is a reason the alignment scale only exist in D&D. Evil, as a state of mind dedicated to the worsening of the state of the world, does not exist!

sun_tzu
2007-03-14, 04:26 AM
What I find interesting here is Stanley's belief that the odds and strategy don't matter - he's fated to win anyway, by divine decree.
That might actually explain why his army has suffered so many defeats: He doesn't bother doing anything to ensure victory.

BunBunBot
2007-03-14, 05:34 AM

In my limited experience, some (tabletop) TBS's still allow some decision making by a side that's not "on turn". For example, whether to retreat from a battle (to the immediately opposite hex) or to stand ground. More sophisticated examples exist, I am sure, though I can't think of any at the moment.

ImInUrDirtz
MaknUrGolmz:smallbiggrin:

http://theaterhopper.com/index.php?date=20070314

Coincidence? I think ... obviously yes. But funny nonetheless.

Tephlon
2007-03-14, 05:48 AM
bullet hole smiley yamika (don't know reference, but that thing rocks!),

It's from Alan Moore's "Watchmen" comic

Eldritch_Ent
2007-03-14, 05:49 AM
Well, is it just me or does Lord Plaid actually seem... Happier now? Like in some odd way he now likes Parson more? (I guess he was serious when he said "I like you better that way.")

I mean he even GAVE Parson something. Though could be he was just giving Parson a basic tool. (Like giving someone on a security patrol team a walkie talkie.)

Thanatos
2007-03-14, 06:36 AM
did you notice that Stanly only has fingers when he absolutely needs them?:)Yes, someone brings it up just about every new strip. :smallwink:

I think the eyebook outputs text of a quality relative to your intellect. Stanley is funny, but he's not exactly smart.

WhiteNoise
2007-03-14, 07:02 AM
i dont know the dwagons are flying up and away as Stanley ends the turn, perhaps he has given some form of 'defensive patrol' order to take place on the Ansom turn and is personally leading his dwagon patrol (if so i imagine a certian heavy cavalry unit with cloth golem is about to have a very very bad day)

Maurog
2007-03-14, 09:11 AM
Did you know? Ansom also doesn't always have fingers... when he doesn't need them, the gloves are empty! Creepy, huh?

benthehater
2007-03-14, 01:01 PM
What I find interesting here is Stanley's belief that the odds and strategy don't matter - he's fated to win anyway, by divine decree.
That might actually explain why his army has suffered so many defeats: He doesn't bother doing anything to ensure victory.

It's a behavior not unusually found in a certain kind of corporate executive, the "I don't care about the details, that's your job. Just get it done," mentality.

Fascisticide
2007-03-14, 02:14 PM
It's a behavior not unusually found in a certain kind of corporate executive, the "I don't care about the details, that's your job. Just get it done," mentality.
Yeah, he's outsourcing the strategy part of the war.

rob
2007-03-14, 04:41 PM
It's also behavior not unusually found in chiefs-of-state. That's why they hire generals.

Scientivore
2007-03-14, 04:52 PM
For the record, Manpower is a temp agency that used to be big back in the 80's. Hence "Lord Manpower the Temporary." It cracked me up, I had to share.

You can find a whole bunch more of those in the thread Pun translations (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29059). :smallsmile:

ryos
2007-03-14, 10:35 PM
I've gotta hand it to Parson. He's either a complete idiot or incredibly brave.

Ok. The guy that owns you jumps on a firebreathing dwagon and gets all up in your face. There's flames streaming from said dwagon's nostrils. Guy says, "I could end you with a thought, you know," and means it. What would you do?

Would you continue to argue semantics with him? Heck no! You bow your head and say "Yes Tool" until he points that Dwagon snout somewhere else!

So, Stanly carelessly leaves him in no talky mode when he leaves, even though there's no reason to keep him from speaking to others other than spite. Wouldn't you be, oh, I dunno, resentful? Pissed? What does Parson do? He snickers at the irony of the Tool giving him the means to subvert his order!

Say what you will about Parson Gotti, but this strip shows he's good-natured at heart. And by golly, I think I like him. They'll make a hero of him yet.

benthehater
2007-03-15, 01:12 AM
That's a really good point. I'm not convinced that Parson actually thinks of Erfworld as reality yet though. I'm sure the angry dragon riding dude with the hammer felt real, but after Stanley left, I think it's a possibility that he started to think of it all like a game again.

TheAnimal
2007-03-15, 05:44 AM

A second fact that cracked me up is that his non-uncroaked appearance was indeed rather short-lived, i.e. temporary.

I mean he even GAVE Parson something. Though could be he was just giving Parson a basic tool. (Like giving someone on a security patrol team a walkie talkie.)

Well, after all, it's just a way to pass orders to his lackeys, as it was used to order Wanda to uncroak Manpower.

Did you know? Ansom also doesn't always have fingers... when he doesn't need them, the gloves are empty! Creepy, huh?

Nah, my bet is that the Erfworlders are some kind of creepy sentient humanoid-amoebas that can create pseudopods at will.

Ah yes, the pointy-haired boss (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pointy-Haired_Boss) synrome, the source of endless employee suffering.

Mr Teufel
2007-03-15, 06:33 AM
Would I freak anybody out by telling you that "Manpower" is an all-male strip-show in Australia?

jami
2007-03-15, 09:03 AM
Would I freak anybody out by telling you that "Manpower" is an all-male strip-show in Australia?

HAHAHAHA!! Brilliant!

Mr Teufel
2007-03-15, 09:39 AM
Yup. (http://www.aussiestorm.com.au/) They specialise in Ladeez Nights and Hens Parties.

(Man, I luv teh intarwebs.)

happyturtle
2007-03-15, 12:56 PM
Ewww! All waxed chests. I hate that look. :smallyuk:

BabbageCliolog
2007-03-16, 12:42 AM
I'm enjoying this comic more and more.

I really like the eye-stuff. I'm guessing that an eye-pod will show up and it'll be an octopus with eyes on it's tentacles.

/BC

Thanatos
2007-03-16, 05:39 AM
http://paizo.com/image/product/catalog/OWD/OWD45005_500.jpeg

TheOtherMC
2007-03-16, 03:47 PM
http://paizo.com/image/product/catalog/OWD/OWD45005_500.jpeg

....must.......make......sanity.....check....

Mr Teufel
2007-03-16, 08:50 PM
[IMG]CephaloPod

I've got that t-shirt. It rocks!

sun_tzu
2007-03-17, 03:43 PM
True, but there is a difference between "I don't care about the details, it's your job" and "I don't care about the details or if you're competent enough to handle them yourself, because no matter what happens, I'm fated to win".