PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Playable goblinoids

Rfkannen
2014-09-26, 02:09 PM
GOBLINS

a collaberation between Rfkannen and Ralcos

https://33.media.tumblr.com/80de160d9d4d6ac0aad228ee0e52bfdd/tumblr_n9vthk5Klt1reeeq1o7_500.jpg
credit for this image goes to wotc or this thread http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?355993-Starter-Set-Excerpt-5

"Clap! Snap! the black crack!
Grip, grab! Pinch, nab!
And down down to Goblin-town
You go, my lad!
Clash, crash! Crush, smash!
Hammer and tongs! Knocker and gongs!
Pound, pound, far underground!
Ho, ho! my lad!
Swish, smack! Whip crack!
Batter and beat! Yammer and bleat!
Work, work! Nor dare to shirk,
While Goblins quaff, and Goblins laugh,
Round and round far underground
Below, my lad!"
J.R.R Tolkien, The Hobbit

Goblins are the shortest of the goblinoids, they are not very strong or big
but they manage to live in any places that others don't want to. Whether
in slave camps, armies, the wild, or simply in slums goblins always manage
to stay somewhere. Goblins are almost never in positions of power, and
some beleive that they were created by hobgoblins as a warrior slave race.

Goblin traits
your goblin character has a number of traits in common with all other goblins.
Ability score increase Your dexterity score increases by 2
Age Goblins mature twice as fast as a human, reaching adulthood around the age of 10, but at that point they can live to the age of 100, still most live till they are about 20.
Alignment Goblins are most often evil as their society encourages crushing those beneath you. However it can change depending on tribe. Goblins that live in the wilds are normal chaotic, those that live in cities are normal lawful.
Size Goblins are between 2 and 4 feet tall and average around 35 pounds, your size is small
Speed your base walking speed is 30 feet
Darkvision Accustomed to dark places you have superior vision in dark and dim conditions. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
Goblin sneak! You gain proficiency in the stealth skill.
Nimble Escape. Once per short rest you can take the Disengage or Hide action as a bonus action.
Languages You can speak common and goblin.
Subraces Three subraces of goblins are found among the worlds. Wild, civil, and forestkith. Pick one

Wild

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/4new/galleries/MonsterManual_art/img/114782_CN_GL.jpg
credit for image goes to wotc

Wild goblins fallow the ways of the wild. Either members of barbaric tribes or simply goblins that still hold by the traditions of their ancestors wild goblins are less intelligent than other goblins but are hardier. These goblins traditionally hold taboos against reading and writing thinking it will steal their souls, however they often have rich oral traditions, usually telling of the most hardy goblins, and those that are the best at riding. Indeed the ability to ride animals is prided among goblins, even being considered holy by some tribes.
Ability score increases Your constitution raises by 1.
Writing scary! Because of your societies taboo on written language you are not able to read or wright. It would take you 1 year of studying for 1 hour a day to learn to read and write.
You fear mount! Wild goblins pride themselves on their ability to ride, indeed their god demands it. You are trained in the handle animal skills.

Civil

http://file.answcdn.com/answ-cld/image/upload/h_320,c_fill,g_face,q_60,f_jpg/v1401259303/tsz18z9sfkbkdrirydvo.jpg
Credit goes to whoever made the 1977 hobbit movie

Civil goblins are goblins that are more intelligent and civilized than other goblins. They live either in cities, towns or are parts of armies and war camps, along most terrifying of all, goblin markets. They have learned to not earn the wrath of longer races and are even better at stealth than other goblins, hardly ever being found if they don't want to be. They excels at working together and are good at pact tactics.
Ability score increases Your intelligence raises by 1.
Can't find this Civil goblins have learned that they need to stay out of trouble, or at least hide that they are in it. You have advantage on hide checks while using nimble escape

Forestkith Goblin

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130521004246/warriorsofmyth/images/6/68/Forestkith_Goblin.jpg
credit goes to whoever made the 3.5 monster manual 3

Forestkith Goblins are the dwellers of the night, nocturnal creatures distantly related to the goblinoids of the surface world. They use trickery and guerrilla tactics to defeat their enemies, such as the Drow or the Duergar.

Ability Score Increase. Your Wisdom score increases by 1.
Superior Darkvision. Your Darkvision increases to 120 feet.
Light Sensitivity. You have disadvantage on attack rols and on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight when you, the target of your attack, or whatever you are trying to percieve is in direct sunlight.
Natural Athletes. You are trained in the Athletics skill.
Natural Climbers. As a bonus action, you can double your proficiency bonus to Strength (Athletics) checks when climbing, and climbing up to double your walking speed while climbing.
Forestkith Weapon Training. You are proficient in the Net
and Spear weapons.

so yeah I don't have the mm, if you have any info on what seperates 5e goblins from 3.5 or 4e I would realy apreciate you telling me

Rfkannen
2014-09-26, 02:56 PM
Hobgoblins

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140518161600/rollplaydnd/images/2/2b/Hobgoblin.jpg

Goblin traits

Ability Score Increase. Your Constitution increases by 2, while your
Dexterity increases by 1.
Age. Hobgoblins become adults at age 14, with a recorded lifespan
of 90 years.
Alignment. Hobgoblins are very much Lawful in organization,
with Human legends illustrating them as tyrants; and with good reason.
Hobgoblins are usually Lawful Evil or Lawful Neutral.
Size. Hobgoblins have a similar physical build as Humans,
standing an average of 6 feet, and an average weight of around
200 pounds. You are considered medium-sized.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.
Darkvision. Hobgoblins are born warlords, learning to fight
in all sorts of situations, including both day or night. You can see
in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it was bright light, and in
darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern colors in darkness,
only shades of grey.
Hobgoblin Military Training. Due to your intensive military
training, you gain proficiency in all light armor, as well as proficiency
with Battleaxes, Longswords, and Warhammers.
Martial training You have advantage on an attack roll
against a creature if at least one of your allies is within
5 feet of the creature and the ally isn't incapacitated.

Rfkannen
2014-09-26, 02:57 PM
Bugbears

http://file1.qidian.com/chapters/20103/19/1423834634046101726660260758245.jpg

Bugbear traits
Ability Score Increase. Your Strength score increases by 2, while your Dexterity score increases by 1.
Age. Bugbears have a similar lifespan to Humans, reaching adulthood at 12 and having an average lifespan of 100 years of age.
Alignment. Chaotic and destructive beyond control, Bugbears usually are Chaotic Evil, though there are records of the few Lawful or Good Bugbear.
Size. You are large and bulky, most bubgbears are large at around 7 feet tall. You are Medium sized.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.
Darkvision. Adjusted to the night and the near-underground caves, you have superior vision in dim and dark conditions. You can see in dim light within 60 feet as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern colors in darkness, only shades of grey.
Move Silently. Your feet have soft pads, making it easier to sneak. You are trained in the Stealth skill.
Surprise Attack.When you surprise a creature with an attack, you deal an extra 1d6 damage on top of the normal attack's damage (See 'Sneak Attack', PHB pg. 96). This extra damage stacks with Sneak Attack.

Thealtruistorc
2014-09-26, 04:29 PM
Can't find this Civil goblins have learned that they need to stay out of trouble, or at least hide that they are in it. You have advantage

advantage on what?

Rfkannen
2014-09-26, 04:42 PM
advantage on what?

Oh woops I meant advantage on their hide checks while useing nimble escape. I will fix that now.

BRKNdevil
2014-09-26, 11:56 PM
Goblin traits
your goblin character has a number of traits in common with all other goblins.
Ability score increase Your dexterity score increases by 2
Age Goblins mature twice as fast as a human, reaching adulthood around the age of 10, but at that point they can live to the age of 100, still most live till they are about 20.
Alignment Goblins are most often evil as their society encourages crushing those beneath you. However it can change depending on tribe. Goblins that live in the wilds are normal chaotic, those that live in cities are normal lawful.
Size Goblins are between 2 and 4 feet tall and average around 35 pounds, your size is small
Speed your base walking speed is 30 feet
Darkvision Accustomed to dark places you have superior vision in dark and dim conditions. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
Goblin sneak! You gain proficiency in the hide skill.
Nimble Escape. Once per short rest you can take the Disengage or Hide action as a bonus action.
Languages You can speak common and goblin.
Subraces Two subraces of goblins are found among the worlds. Wild and civil, pick one.

Wild

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/4new/galleries/MonsterManual_art/img/114782_CN_GL.jpg

Wild goblins fallow the ways of the wild. Either members of barbaric tribes or simply goblins that still hold by the traditions of their ancestors wild goblins are less intelligent than other goblins but are hardier. These goblins traditionally hold taboos against reading and writing thinking it will steal their souls, however they often have rich oral traditions, usually telling of the most hardy goblins, and those that are the best at riding. Indeed the ability to ride animals is prided among goblins, even being considered holy by some tribes.
Writing scary! Because of your societies taboo on written language you are not able to read or wright. It would take you 1 year of studying for 1 hour a day to learn to read and write.
You fear mount! Wild goblins pride themselves on their ability to ride, indeed their god demands it. You are trained in the handle animal skills.

Civil

http://file.answcdn.com/answ-cld/image/upload/h_320,c_fill,g_face,q_60,f_jpg/v1401259303/tsz18z9sfkbkdrirydvo.jpg
Credit goes to whoever made the 1977 hobbit movie

Civil goblins are goblins that are more intelligent and civilized than other goblins. They live either in cities, towns or are parts of armies and war camps, along most terrifying of all, goblin markets. They have learned to not earn the wrath of longer races and are even better at stealth than other goblins, hardly ever being found if they don't want to be. They excels at working together and are good at pact tactics.
Ability score increases Your intelligence raises by 1.
Can't find this Civil goblins have learned that they need to stay out of trouble, or at least hide that they are in it. You have advantage on hide checks while using nimble escape

so yeah I don't have the mm, if you have any info on what seperates 5e goblins from 3.5 or 4e I would realy apreciate you telling me

K, so comparing the 5e vers. to the 3.5 vers. they are pretty much the same. Nimble Escape seems to be a bonus action with no limits between each rest and you should probably correct goblin sneak! to Prof. in the Stealth Skill. Also both of the Subraces seem kind of weak and 5e seems to really be pushing the idea that you can play any race with any class without issues, but your wild goblin could not be a wizard. Also with that debuff to only being able to gain Handle Animal seems a bit cruel.

Rfkannen
2014-09-27, 09:39 AM
K, so comparing the 5e vers. to the 3.5 vers. they are pretty much the same. Nimble Escape seems to be a bonus action with no limits between each rest and you should probably correct goblin sneak! to Prof. in the Stealth Skill. Also both of the Subraces seem kind of weak and 5e seems to really be pushing the idea that you can play any race with any class without issues, but your wild goblin could not be a wizard. Also with that debuff to only being able to gain Handle Animal seems a bit cruel.

Yeah I did base this off of the goblin in the basic rules, I put nimble escape as a once per short rest thing as it would be a bit to op if it was unlimited. I have now fixed goblin sneak!. Realy they seem weak? I thought that the wild goblin was a bit over powered to be honest. But if it does seem a bit weak what would you recomend? If you have the mm Does the goblin boss have something I could take? The illiterate thing is mostly just because one of the main tribes has taboos against reading, I may be convinced to remove it. I was thinking of adding something that would alow them to have tattoo spell books or something idk. It just feels that only haveing handle animals wouldnt anything else woudnt have enough fluff.

Ralcos
2014-09-27, 10:38 AM
I was thinking of making a 5e Goblin race! Looks like I was beat to the punch...

When I built my Kobold race (shameless advertisement), I tried to keep in mind all editions for racial abilities(2e, 3.5e, 4e).
For Goblins, I'll add a subrace (if that's okay) based off of the Forestkith Goblin from the 3.5 Monster Manual 3.

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130521004246/warriorsofmyth/images/6/68/Forestkith_Goblin.jpg

Forestkith Goblins are the dwellers of the night, nocturnal creatures distantly related to the goblinoids of the surface world. They use trickery and guerrilla tactics to defeat their enemies, such as the Drow or the Duergar.

Light Sensitivity. You have disadvantage on attack rols and on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight when you, the target of your attack, or whatever you are trying to percieve is in direct sunlight.
Natural Climbers. As a bonus action, you can double your proficiency bonus to Strength (Athletics) checks when climbing, and climbing up to double your walking speed while climbing.
and Spear weapons.

Also, if I may also make a suggestion on the Wild goblins...

Ability Score Increase. Your Constitution score increases by 1.

Basically, All subraces give an ability score bonus.
Anywho, I apologize for the long post, but I'm just saying that I like your race. :smallbiggrin::smalltongue:

Hopefully you like my suggestions!

Rfkannen
2014-09-27, 11:18 AM
I was thinking of making a 5e Goblin race! Looks like I was beat to the punch...

When I built my Kobold race (shameless advertisement), I tried to keep in mind all editions for racial abilities(2e, 3.5e, 4e).
For Goblins, I'll add a subrace (if that's okay) based off of the Forestkith Goblin from the 3.5 Monster Manual 3.

and Spear weapons.

Also, if I may also make a suggestion on the Wild goblins...

Ability Score Increase. Your Constitution score increases by 1.

Basically, All subraces give an ability score bonus.
Anywho, I apologize for the long post, but I'm just saying that I like your race. :smallbiggrin::smalltongue:

Hopefully you like my suggestions!

Nice subrace, mind if I use it :3 credit given of course

Hah I thought I did the constitution thing! I think I acidently deleted it when I edited the lore, Thanks for pointing that out I will look for more things I deleted.

BRKNdevil
2014-09-27, 11:32 AM
Yeah I did base this off of the goblin in the basic rules, I put nimble escape as a once per short rest thing as it would be a bit to op if it was unlimited. I have now fixed goblin sneak!. Realy they seem weak? I thought that the wild goblin was a bit over powered to be honest. But if it does seem a bit weak what would you recomend? If you have the mm Does the goblin boss have something I could take? The illiterate thing is mostly just because one of the main tribes has taboos against reading, I may be convinced to remove it. I was thinking of adding something that would alow them to have tattoo spell books or something idk. It just feels that only haveing handle animals wouldnt anything else woudnt have enough fluff.

Well the Goblin Boss has the ability to do this

Redirect Attack. When a creature the goblin can see targets it with an attack, the goblin chooses another goblin within 5 feet of it. The two goblins swap places, and the chosen goblin becomes the target instead.

And it seems most subraces of species increase stats by at least 2 points even after prof. being added on. As for the Civilized Goblins I'd suggest looking at the Gobbers from Iron Kingdoms as inspiration.

Ralcos
2014-09-27, 11:52 AM
Nice subrace, mind if I use it :3 credit given of course

Hah I thought I did the constitution thing! I think I acidently deleted it when I edited the lore, Thanks for pointing that out I will look for more things I deleted.

You can use it. I'm happy with it, and my stuff is made to be used. :smallbiggrin::smalltongue:

I don't see anything else that needs to be updated, besides some ideas to help add on to your subraces. I don't really want to force more onto the race, anyways.

Could I help with Bugbears? I've grown fond of them as I continued playing D&D.

Rfkannen
2014-09-27, 12:13 PM

Ralcos
2014-09-27, 02:22 PM
We have updated, adding the Bugbear and the Hobgoblin.
Send your Advice/Ideas/Criticism our way!

Spacehamster
2014-11-05, 12:39 PM
Nice! :)
Thought about adding gnoll/flind to the list?
Always loved them hyena dogmen. :D

Spacehamster to infinity and beyond!

Valefor Rathan
2014-11-10, 12:01 PM
The possibility of playing a www.goblinscomic.org inspired setting with this is awesome.

Thank you much!:smallbiggrin:

RedMage125
2014-12-24, 01:33 AM
Apologize for the thread necromancy, but this was linked in another thread, and I checked it out.

I like it. The Wild Goblins being trained in 2 skills seemed a bit too much for me, but then I realized how situational Handle Animal is, not to mention having Literacy be basically off-limits for them.

A few notes:

Forestkith Goblins Climbing ability needs to be scaled down. For normal individuals, climbing is at half speed, being able to climb without paying double movement speed would be sufficient. Being able to climb at DOUBLE is a little too strong. Otherwise the race looks about as balanced as the drow.

Hobgoblins I would change the DEX bonus to INT. Bugbears and Goblins are the more nimble ones, hobbos are smarter (also kind of calls back to the 4e hobgoblin stats). And I would either add Flail proficiency to their weapon proficiencies, or change it out for warhammers. 4e had a weapon training feat for hobs for all flais, and in Eberron, flails, dire flails and spiked chains are considered "hobgoblin weapons", so there's some good flavor there with hobgoblins and flail weapons.

And one idea:
I'm wondering if it wouldn't be too much to also incorporate a "Phalanx Training" idea with their Military Training ability. Something along the lines of "if you have a shield equipped and are adjacent to another ally who also has a shield, you gain an additional +1 AC".

But I like it. Hobgoblins are more and more becoming one of my favorite NPC races. They may replace gnolls for 5e, which is sad, because I have liked gnolls since the 2e days.

steelsmiter
2014-12-24, 02:46 PM
I want to play a Civil Goblin now. Except I want to be a Barbarian.

ReturnOfTheKing
2014-12-24, 04:32 PM
Mind if I add my two cents? I say make Goblin, Hobgoblin and Bugbear all sub-races of a single goblinoid race. Which, I know, means basically rehauling the whole thing and starting anew. I suppose a v.2 thread would be a better idea? Oooor you could just ignore me, which would probably be the most convenient thing to do…

Ralcos
2014-12-24, 06:37 PM
Mind if I add my two cents? I say make Goblin, Hobgoblin and Bugbear all sub-races of a single goblinoid race. Which, I know, means basically rehauling the whole thing and starting anew. I suppose a v.2 thread would be a better idea? Oooor you could just ignore me, which would probably be the most convenient thing to do…

Actually, that doesn't sound that bad of an idea. I'll get to work on that after the Holiday Season is over.

ReturnOfTheKing
2014-12-24, 11:56 PM
:smallbiggrin:

BRKNdevil
2014-12-25, 12:46 PM
There are some guidelines for stat readjustment for npc's for different races and zombieness and skeletoness in the DMG