PDA

View Full Version : Player Help [3.P] the power of words- specifically dark speech

Rickshaw
2014-09-26, 02:38 PM
I've always wanted to play a word caster, and I figure thematically speaking, what could be a better word caster than a bard? Even better, a bard who can bring back the dead with words! I've got the majority of the build all set up (stuck stat block in the spoiler if you wanna see it, DM has proclaimed use of 3.5 as kosher. Feel free to offer suggestions about that too, I love feedback on builds :3) but then I remembered something I'd read a while back - dark speech. It requires some adjusting of stats to use, which is fine, but looking at it- it doesn't look very good. Am I missing something? Is this a feat chain that I missed? Only the hive mind tactic seems useful, and it doesn't really fit the theme of the bard of words sadly.

So my idea here was to take treentmonks controller bard and stick necromancy and word casting on it. Id be useful via nets, flanking, and bard buffs, while eventually letting my undead minions do the heavy damage and supplement them with my longsword or bow if I run out of spells and things to do. At higher levels if nothing else works I can purchase wands and staves and pretend to be a wizard who uses bundles of sticks (wands) instead of a spell book xD

Galla Merckis (20 point buy)
Male Half-Elf Sound Striker Dirge Bard 1
NE Medium Humanoid
Init: +2 ; Senses: Low Light Vision, Perception: -5
===============================
Defense
AC: 17, Touch 12, Flatfooted 15
(+4 armor, +2 Dex, +1 Shield)
HP: 9
Fort: +0 Ref: +4 Will: +1
Offense
Speed: 30"
Melee: Longsword +2 (1d8+2)
Ranged: Net +2 ranged touch, or shortbow +2 (1d6)
Spells per day: 2 first level, unlimited 0 level
Words known:
0: lift, echo, decipher, lingering, boost -I can't recall what level boost is?
1: fade, dash
Statistics
Str 14, Dex 14, Con 10, Int 14, Wis 8, Cha 17 (adjust int down if dark speech sucks)
BAB: +0; CMB: +2 CMD: 14
Feats:
Lingering Performance
Varisian tattoo
Spell Focus (Necromancy)
Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Net)
Flaws:
Inattentive: -4 to vision and sound based perception checks
Murky Eyed: roll twice and take the lower on miss chance.
Traits:
Finding your kin: bonus skill point and hp
Extremely Fashionable: bonus to the big three if wearing 100gp or more or something.
Skills: ACP -3, Bluff , Diplomacy, Intimidate, Linguistics, Know (pick 3, trade off with 3 more at lvl), Perform something, UMD
Languages: Common, Elven, Necril, Draconic why not
Special Qualities:
Wary: bonus to bluff and sense motive
Ancestral Arms: proficient with a net
Arcane Training: can UMD as a wizard (best Alt racial trait ever!)
Bardic Music:
Counter song, distraction, fascinate, inspire courage
Gear
Chain shirt, light metal shield, multiple nets, pocket lint. No idea how much gp to work with Mr. DM...