PDA

View Full Version : The new elementals (first elemental statted out, everyone can add)

InaVegt
2007-03-13, 03:24 PM
Inspired by the recent OOTS comics I thought it would be a nice idea to stat out a couple of ‘new’ elementals.

A few ideas

Oxygen elementals should deal fire damage (IIRC pure oxygen burns animals (the group of living creatures, nit the creature type) (and perhaps other living creatures))

Titanium elementals should have DR of high

Gold elementals should be powerful, we all know PCs will grab the remains of this one, better account for it in the treasure, while keeping it balanced with other creatures of it's CR.

ArmorArmadillo
2007-03-13, 09:25 PM
Gold elementals should be powerful, we all know PCs will grab the remains of this one, better account for it in the treasure, while keeping it balanced with other creatures of it's CR.

Why build a golem to guard your treasure; when you can summon an elemental that is your treasure?

Of course, based on how elementals work, all of their golden goodness would be whisked back to the elemental plane of earth after they're destroyed.

knightsaline
2007-03-14, 03:43 AM
I would love to have a quicksilver golem.

Yuki Akuma
2007-03-14, 04:18 AM
Gold elementals really don't need to be powerful. As the Armadillo above me says, the gold would just be whisked away to the Elemental Plane of Earth.

Anyway, gold isn't a very strong material, and if you want the elementals to actually fit in with the real elements, it shouldn't be that powerful.

squishycube
2007-03-14, 04:27 AM
Let's begin at the beginning then shall we? Anyone up for the Hydrogen Elemental?

InaVegt
2007-03-14, 07:39 AM
Hydrogen elemental
Large elemental (water, air)
HD 5d8 (22)
Speed 5 ft. (0 squares); fly 40 ft (perfect)
Init: +4
AC 13; touch 13; flat-footed 9
(-1 size, +4 dex)
BAB +3; Grp +3
Attack slam -2 (1d6-2, 18-20/X2 + burning edge)
Full-Attack slam -2 (1d6-2, 18-20/X2 + 1d3 burning edge)
Space 10 ft.; Reach 10 ft.
Special Attacks Burning edge
Special Qualities DR 5/-, vulnerability to fire, water creation, poorly visible
Saves Fort +4 Ref +5 Will +2
Abilities Str 3, Dex 18, Con 11, Int 10, Wis 13, Cha 9
Skills Move silently +15, Hide +15
Feats Skill focus (hide), skill focus (move silently)
Environment the elemental plane of hydrogen
Organization single
Challenge Rating 3
Treasure no gold; no gems; no art; no magical items
Alignment CN
Advancement 6-10 HD (large) 11-13 HD (huge); rogue
Level Adjustment -

Burning edge
A hydrogen elemental can set part of it aflame when attacking, dealing 1d4 or 1d6 (elementals choice) bonus fire damage on that attack, while dealing the same amount of fire damage to itself (fire vulnarability doesn't count for this)

Water creation
Every point of fire damage dealt to a hydrogen elemental creates one gallon of pure water, which lands beneath the elemental.

Poorly visible
Due to the fact hydrogen looks so much like normal air it gains a +4 bonus on hide checks.

------------------------------------

What do you think of this hydrogen elemental?

Rumda
2007-03-14, 07:52 AM
not sure about the DR, Incorporeality may be better but still not perfect...

Orzel
2007-03-14, 08:05 AM
A hydrogen elemental should have DR 5/- just like an air elemental.

InaVegt
2007-03-14, 08:08 AM
A hydrogen elemental should have DR 5/- just like an air elemental.

K, will change that.

Khantalas
2007-03-14, 09:03 AM
Helium Elemental should pretty much sit there and do nothing. It is inert, after all.

Sodium elemental should be inflicted damage as long as it is in contact with air or water.

Uranium elemental should get smaller and smaller until it is Fine.

knightsaline
2007-03-15, 01:24 AM
does a mercury elemental become absorbed if anyone touches it unprotected, then force a fort save against becoming insane?

yes, I said FORT save, not will. the mercury is absorbed into the body and makes you mad as a hatter at a tea party

Yuki Akuma
2007-03-15, 09:42 AM
...I really think the Hydrogen Elemental should be from the Elemental Plane of Air, unless you want to describe over two-hundred new planes.

Fax Celestis
2007-03-15, 10:18 AM
Or make it from the Elemental Plane of Air (Elemental Demiplane of Hydrogen).

Subplanes are fun.

Orzel
2007-03-15, 10:56 AM
"Don't hit the neon elemental with a lightning bolt! Aaaah! My eyes! I'd wear googles but I'm sure of their ineffectiveness."

InaVegt
2007-03-15, 12:58 PM
...I really think the Hydrogen Elemental should be from the Elemental Plane of Air, unless you want to describe over two-hundred new planes.

Don't forget the paraelemental planes (like for the calciumcarbonate paraelemental, the methane paraelemental, the steel paraelemental or the natriumchloride paraelemental)

Khantalas
2007-03-15, 01:01 PM
Wouldn't they be called compundals?

Fax Celestis
2007-03-15, 01:06 PM
Yeah, they would. Paraelementals are things like steam and mud.

InaVegt
2007-03-15, 03:09 PM
So, I'm not up to date with english chemistry terms and this was the closest term I could think of. And if you start using the modern usage of the word element you should also get rid of the traditional term for paraelementals. We should also make Isotopals for things like deuterium

Closet_Skeleton
2007-03-15, 03:13 PM
Mercury Elemental would have fast healing 40 and Poison touch as well as Permahaste. Wait... that fast-healing is based on it being liquid while water elementals don't have fast-healing.

Many of these would turn into "my eyes... dear gods my poor innocent eyes..." elementals when you tried to take them out by chemical reactions.

Steel isn't even a compound let alone an elemental.

StickMan
2007-03-15, 03:20 PM
If you make a gold elemental it does not have to pure gold, it could just be made up of a gold ore. Then even if the PC took its body they would still have to refine the ore wich could make for a fun side quest some how.

Random note. My Geology profesor got a gold ore from south Africa and said the whole day he was going around campus looking at it and studying the sample and he was so busy looking at the gold he did not notice the black mineral. Any one want to guess what the black mineral was. Here is a clue its used to make bombs and power plants. Thats right uranium, its not harmful for the most part in its natural state but even so if he was handling it he should have been washing his hands. Tangent over.

Wait Uranium elementals, you kill it and the city blows up.

InaVegt
2007-03-15, 03:28 PM
Gold usually isn't found in ores, it's found either pure or mixed with other materials, but it's very rare to find gold ore, this is due to the fact gold is not easily becoming in an ionic state (not sure about the term), I think gold ore is rarer than normal gold, in fact.

Yuki Akuma
2007-03-15, 05:09 PM
Gold is extremely nonreactive. It's almost always found in elemental form. This is why you get gold nuggets washing up in rivers.

This is also why gold is so valuable; not only is it rare, it doesn't rust.

Silver tarnishes after a while. So does copper, and brass, and tin, and iron, and steel... the most valuable metals don't corrode, for some reason.

(Fun fact: Gold is sometimes used instead of copper or silicon in electronics because it's very good at conducting electricity, with the added bonus that it doesn't rust after a while.)

Gralamin
2007-03-15, 07:07 PM
Carbon Elementals would be fun, they could range from graphite to diamonds to bucky balls :biggrin:

DaMullet
2007-03-15, 08:28 PM
Or all three at once! That's genious! Carbon elementals can have a diamond punch, and yet still have a weak point in their brittle...uh... brittle-ity. Yeah.

Icewalker
2007-03-15, 08:42 PM
I like em.

I call Sulfur Elementals!

ArmorArmadillo
2007-03-15, 08:54 PM
Bringing a massive density to bear against its opponent: Lead Elemental!

Attacks by leaping into the air and crushing opponents with it's massive weight.
Also, it carries a poison gas breath weapon.
Blocks all forms of magic, elemental damage, and scrying.
Stats when I'm not lazy.

Thantos
2007-03-15, 09:03 PM
My chemistry teacher would be proud, or maybe confused either way I'm excited to see more.

Fax Celestis
2007-03-15, 09:07 PM
Someone make a Unilennium Elemental.

ilovefire
2007-03-15, 09:45 PM
Of course, you all realize there can only be one elemental at the end, correct? Well, two.

I'm statting up the Unobtanium and Handwavium elementals as we speak!

(Yes, I know Unobtanium and Handwavium aren't real elements, but it's all in good fun.)

Wizard_Tom
2007-03-16, 08:57 AM
I'm pretty sure I've been sent after Unobtainium in City of Heroes before...

Cealocanth
2010-04-12, 10:53 PM
Plutonium elemental would be vicious. You'd take damage (radiation) from just being in the same room at it, constitution save, of course.

Fortuna
2010-04-12, 10:57 PM
I call the Francium elemental!

AgentPaper
2010-04-12, 10:57 PM
Plutonium elemental would be vicious. You'd take damage (radiation) from just being in the same room at it, constitution save, of course.

There should also be some low chance that, upon being killed by a plutonium elemental, you instead don't die and gain super powers. :smalltongue:

DracoDei
2010-04-12, 11:42 PM
I just want to chime in to say that pure oxygen is safe to be in contact with, and even to breath (well... as long as it is not at high pressure)... just DON'T let it combine with both a fuel and a heat source.

Eldan
2010-04-13, 01:47 AM
You know what would be "fun" (In the dwarf fortress way)? Caesium elementals.

Melayl
2010-04-13, 02:02 AM
Oxygen elementals should deal fire damage (IIRC pure oxygen burns animals (the group of living creatures, nit the creature type) (and perhaps other living creatures))

Pure oxygen is not harmful to living creatures, generally. (Very high concentrations of oxygen can cause retinal damage in neonates with long-term use.)

It is beyond incredibly flammable (all fire attacks should at least double if not quadruple in effectiveness vs them, as oxygen is consumed in combustion reactions).

Fortuna
2010-04-13, 02:02 AM
You know what would be "fun" (In the dwarf fortress way)? Caesium elementals.

Francium is the next one down :smallbiggrin:

Siegel
2010-04-13, 02:13 AM
I have the perfect post for you :smallbiggrin:

http://wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4dnd/20100401

Eldan
2010-04-13, 02:20 AM
Francium is the next one down :smallbiggrin:

Right. I confused the two, apparently.

Fortuna
2010-04-13, 02:37 AM
OK, draft number one (without reference material, so cut some slack).

Francium Elemental
Tiny Elemental (Earth)
HD1d8 (22)
Speed 30 ft. (6 squares)
Init: -4
AC 8; touch 8; flat-footed 8
(+2 size, -4 dex)
BAB +0; Grp -12
Attack slam -4 (1d6-4, 20/X2)
Full-Attack slam -4 (1d6-4, 20/X2)
Space 2 1/2 ft.; Reach 0 ft.
Special Attacks -
Special Qualities Reactivity, Decay, Aura of Radioactivity
Saves Fort +4 Ref +5 Will +2
Abilities Str 3, Dex 3, Con 3, Int 10, Wis 13, Cha 9
Skills Move silently +8, Hide +8
Feats Stealthy
Environment the elemental plane of francium
Organization single
Challenge Rating 4 in a vacuum or other non-combusting environment, inapplicable otherwise
Treasure no gold; no gems; no art; no magical items
Alignment CN
Advancement by HD: 2 (Tiny); 3-4 (Small); 5-8 (Medium); 9-16 (Large)17-32 HD (Huge)
Level Adjustment -

Reactivity (Ex): Any francium elemental exposed to air immediately combusts, producing an explosion dealing 5d6 force damage and 5d6 fire damage per hit die of the elemental to all within 100 feet per hit die, and causing this area to be subject to its aura of radioactivity as if the entire area was covered by a 1/2 HD francium elemental. This fades in an hour. If exposed to water, the radius and damage are doubled.

Decay (Ex): Even if a francium elemental is kept in vacuum or nitrogen, it still decays. Every 23 minutes, a francium elemental loses half its hit dice, losing a size category if applicable.

Aura of Radioactivity (Ex): A francium elemental is constantly breaking down on the atomic level, and therefore all creatures within 100 feet per hit die of a francium elemental must make a Fortitude save each round or suffer one point of Constitution damage for each 50 feet inside the radius they are.

Eldan
2010-04-13, 02:43 AM
So, what does Francium decay into? Because it would be funny if killing a Francium elemental produced tiny elementals of a different kind. They could also naturally shed tiny sliver elementals of that kind naturally.

Sereg
2010-04-13, 09:29 AM
I just want to chime in to say that pure oxygen is safe to be in contact with, and even to breath (well... as long as it is not at high pressure)... just DON'T let it combine with both a fuel and a heat source.

Highly concentrated Oxygen tends to promote the formation of free radicals which cause the degradation of mitochondrial DNA associated with aging. Flying creatures are resistant (not immune) to this effect but I remember seeing an experiment in a documentary where mouse cells exposed to pure (as in chemical grade, I assume) Oxygen were found to be dead after 5 minutes.

DracoDei
2010-04-13, 10:54 AM
Surface area of living tissue to mass of same (skin isn't living, and it is sorta in the job description to transfer oxygen safely for lung cells)... I BELIEVE that fire fighters use Oxygen, not atmospheric mix in their tanks (they hold each breath long enough that they aren't venting dangerous levels of accelerant).

arguskos
2010-04-13, 11:15 AM
So, what does Francium decay into? Because it would be funny if killing a Francium elemental produced tiny elementals of a different kind. They could also naturally shed tiny sliver elementals of that kind naturally.
Francium decays into Cesium, which also explodes on contact with air, IIRC.

Lord of Syntax
2010-04-13, 01:09 PM
Francium decays into radium.

arguskos
2010-04-13, 03:26 PM
Upon checking further, it seems I was in fact wrong. Francium decays into either astatine, radium, or radon, depending on the isotope in question.

Sereg
2010-04-14, 12:19 AM
I BELIEVE that fire fighters use Oxygen, not atmospheric mix in their tanks (they hold each breath long enough that they aren't venting dangerous levels of accelerant).

Wikipedia claims that it's just compressed air, which makes sense to me. Especially as scuba divers don't use pure oxygen either.

Melayl
2010-04-14, 03:00 AM
Wikipedia claims that it's just compressed air, which makes sense to me. Especially as scuba divers don't use pure oxygen either.

Firefighters don't use pure oxygen (would be incredibly stupid to carry something that explosively flammable into a fire), but they do use a higher oxygen mix than "normal" air.

As I said in my previous post, only Long-Term exposure to pure oxygen is harmful (long term being several days, at least, usually).

waterpenguin43
2010-04-14, 09:23 PM
I call dibs on a Bismuth Elemental. Please.