PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Hexcrafter/bladebound magus build advice (currently level 5)

aza9999
2014-09-26, 04:35 PM
Male human (kellid) magus (bladebound, hexcrafter) 5 NE Medium humanoid (human) Init +2; Senses Perception +6
--------------------
Defense
--------------------
AC 17, touch 13, flat-footed 15 (+4 armor, +2 Dex, +1 deflection)
hp 39 (5d8+15)
Fort +8, Ref +4, Will +6
--------------------
Offense
--------------------
Speed 30 ft.
Melee bloodletter(blackblade scimitar) +9 (1d6+8/18-20) and
--------------------
Statistics
--------------------
Str 18, Dex 15, Con 16, Int 20, Wis 13, Cha 12
Base Atk +3; CMB +7; CMD 20
Feats Arcane Strike, Elemental Spell APG, Extra Arcane Pool UM, Heighten Spell, Preferred Spell APG
Traits anatomist, devotee of the green, magical lineage
other Gear mwk chain shirt, +1 composite longbow, cloak of resistance +1 , ring of protection +1 , 50 gp
--------------------
Special Abilities
--------------------
Anatomist +1 to confirm critical hits.
Arcane Pool +2 (9/day) (Su) Infuse own power into a held weapon, granting enhancement bonus or selected item powers.
Arcane Strike As a swift action, add +1 damage, +1 per 5 caster levels and your weapons are treated as magic for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.
Elemental Spell (Acid) You can cast a spell with half or all its damage type replaced with this feat's
damage type.
Heighten Spell Increases spell level to effective level desired.
Hex Arcana You can substitute Hexes for Magus Arcana. Hex Magus (Su) You gain access to witch hexes.
Magical Lineage (Shocking Grasp) A chosen spell counts as 1 level lower when metamagic feats are applied to it.
Preferred Spell (Shocking Grasp) The chosen spell may be cast spontaneously, and metamagic can be added to the spell without increasing its casting time.
Spell Combat (Ex) Use a weapon with one hand at -2 and cast a spell with the other.
Spellstrike (Su) Deliver touch spells as part of a melee attack.

So I just reached level 5 and took preferred spell (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/preferred-spell) shocking grasp as my feat, allowing me to spontaneous cast so that i don't have to memorise it. I'm trying to work out where i go from here.
At level 6 i get either my first magus arcana or another hex. I was thinking of taking either slumber or evil eye hexes, as none of the arcana really stand out to me.

Slumber (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/witch/hexes/common-hexes/hex-slumber-su) enemy gets a DC18 will save (no hit-dice limit). On a fail it's asleep for 1 round/level, can't be woken by noise or light, only by someone taking a standard action to wake it or by taking damage. Can only be used on each enemy once per day.

Evil eye (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/witch/hexes/common-hexes/hex-evil-eye-su) gives -2 to my choice of ac/atk/saves/skills (-4 at lvl 8), can be used multiple times on the same enemy (different stat penalty each time), lasts 8 rounds unless they make a DC18 will save in which case it lasts for 1 round.

Slumber can take a bad guy completely out of the battle, but if it fails or they get woken then it's wasted. Evil eye only debuffs, but it can debuff multiple stats on the same enemy, use as many times as i want and even if they save the debuff still lasts for 1 round.

As for the rest of my build my current style is to use my knowledge skills to identify enemies and weaknesses before combat starts if possible. I then run in, preferably on one of the guys the tank is beating up and use spellstrike/spell combat with brand, or shocking grasp if it's a tough one. If the enemies are grouped up before combat starts i may throw out a glitterdust on them, but at this level not many are failing their saving throws any more. Also boosting my blade stats with arcane pool, at level 5 i can now start adding 'keen' as well as flaming/ice/shocking etc.

I plan to concentrate mostly on melee dps with spell support so i'm looking for build ideas to work towards that fit that. I've read through walters guide and got some good information from there, but i was looking for other input, especially from people who have played a hexcrafter/bladebound magus.

At level 7 i plan on taking intensified spell metamagic (+1 spell level) which allows me to increase the dice cap of shocking grasp to 10d6 (at level 10). Magical lineage gives a -1 to metamagic spell level and preferred spell lets me spontaneous cast shocking grasp and add metamagic without increasing spellcasting time, effectively making this a free metamagic to use every time.

At 9 i take the other hex i didn't take at 6 (evil eye/slumber). I'm not sure what feat to take here, but thinking of extra arcana/hex, or maybe something combat related.

Beyond that i don't really have a plan yet, but i'd love to hear feedback or criticisms telling me why my build is a failure and better ways to do things :tongue: