PDA

View Full Version : Contest 5E Contest: Let's Get it Started!

Steel Mirror
2014-09-26, 08:43 PM
So I've always loved forum homebrew contests! They always spur people into writing creative entries, often of impressive quality, and they are of course great fun to read through and to join in on. There are some great contests here on GitP, of course, but I haven't seen any for 5E yet. How does a contest get started? Is there any sort of official process, or could a few interested posters start one just by getting together, opening a few threads, and laying down the ground rules? Especially with the 5E Monster Manual already in limited release, about to hit shelves everywhere, it seems like a good time for 5E brewers to get their creativity on!

Apologies for the clueless questions if there is somewhere in the forum rules that mentions it (or if it is just a silly question). If this is something that can be done by anyone who is interested, well, is anyone interested in getting one started? :smallbiggrin:

Xefas
2014-09-28, 02:37 AM
There aren't any official rules that I'm aware of. Basically, you just create a contest thread, lay down the rules in the first post (theme, time constraints, how judgment works, who'll be judging, and so on), typically create a second thread (cross-linked with one another in their first posts) for discussion, and then hope that there's interest. If there's interest, you'll probably start getting posts within a day or two, depending on what the contest's subject is. If it's something big, like an entire class, you'll usually get a few posts with people staking claims on various names/concepts with the intention of editing in details of their entry as time goes on. If there's no interest, then your thread will sink into oblivion and you can assume that, at the moment, for whatever reason, it's not meant to be. Maybe try again in a few weeks. Factors like holidays and mid-term/final exams can effect the turn-out for contests, for example.

I wouldn't be surprised if the forum is ripe for a 5e contest. Can't hurt to give it a shot.

Steel Mirror
2014-09-28, 10:56 AM
Thank you for the info! I figured that was probably the case, but it's good to know for sure.

In that case, I think I will start up a 5E contest. :smallbiggrin: I'm thinking that, since the MM is just in the process of coming out, a monster challenge would be a good first contest. I'll get started on another thread for the first, official-sounding post, with the rules and how it will be judged and all that, but in the meantime is anyone else interested? Do we have any homebrewers and 5E GMs on the forum who think this sounds like fun? Most importantly, does anyone have any good ideas for a name for this contest? :smallwink: