PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A how to play a natural lycanthrope

belkasro
2014-09-26, 09:31 PM
hey guys just want to know about the silver against lycanthrope (werewolf)? Do they get burned, necrosis, sever rash or what when just touching pure silver themselves. Is that just Role-play flare or is there some truth of never touching silver at all. Just curious some creatures lore says it burns them but werewolf just say they dont heal well when cut or pierce by silver. Read all i could about it.

for the character situation is his mother was a werewolf and father was just a normal human. read that the full moon is not needed but makes it easier to pull off the transformation. Or they get into a sever stress situation and hulk out. Thinking its the DM call but if anyone got any answers that can help it would be much appreciated.

Red Fel
2014-09-26, 10:04 PM
Since you haven't specified PF or 3.0/3.5, I'm going to assume 3.5, and proceed accordingly. If I'm mistaken, feel free to disregard my post.

Now, as per your first question, mechanically speaking, there's no hard-and-fast rule for "it burns them and causes a rash or agony or bad dandruff or something." I'd talk to your DM, but as a rule, you don't carry around a weapon that's toxic to you. (Superman doesn't carry around a Kryptonite saber, for example. And Batman doesn't use guns. Think about that.) I'd make it more RP-fodder. You'll note, for instance, that an Evil being suffers actual mechanical penalties (e.g. negative levels) for wielding a Holy object, and a Good being for wielding an Unholy one; by contrast, there is no rule saying a Lycanthrope can't touch silver, merely that it overcomes their DR.

According to the SRD entry on Lycanthropes (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/lycanthrope.htm), a natural lycanthrope doesn't need to use the Control Shape skill, "since it has full control over its shape." This is reinforced by the language of the Alternate Form ability, which notes that "Afflicted lycanthropes find this ability difficult to control (see Lycanthropy as an Affliction, below), but natural lycanthropes have full control over this power." In other words, a natural lycanthrope can change its shape as a standard action, no check required, no moon needed, no hulk rage called for. Note, however, that it comes with a higher LA (+3, as compared to the afflicted lycanthrope's +2), and because it is still a lycanthrope (and thus has the shapechanger subtype), it is still subject to spells which target lycanthropes. (I played a natural lycanthrope once, in a campaign with a Cleric of Eilistraee. She used Moonbeam whenever she wanted to shut my PC up. It was very annoying.)

belkasro
2014-09-27, 09:45 AM
sorry it was 3.5 but thanks for the info man.