PDA

View Full Version : Shield Proficiency

Doomchild
2014-09-26, 10:10 PM
If you wear a shield and are not proficient with it do you suffer disadvantage on all Strength and Dexterity based checks and become unable to cast spells? Is there any way, other than multiclassing, to gain proficiency with shields?

Scirocco
2014-09-26, 10:19 PM
Moderately Armored gives you proficiency in shields. You require light armor proficiency first though.

Symphony
2014-09-26, 10:26 PM
If you wear a shield and are not proficient with it do you suffer disadvantage on all Strength and Dexterity based checks and become unable to cast spells?

I believe you just don't benefit from the shield unless you are proficient.

Edit: I'm no longer sure. The rules are not completely clear on this.

Shadow
2014-09-26, 10:39 PM
I believe you just don't benefit from the shield unless you are proficient.

Edit: I'm no longer sure. The rules are not completely clear on this.

The rules are perfectly clear on this.
A shield is considered armor, as it is listed on teh armor table.
If you are not proficient with shields and carry one anyway, then you suffer the same penatlties as if you were wearing plate mail and weren't proficient with heavy armor.

Doomchild
2014-09-26, 11:01 PM
Moderately Armored gives you proficiency in shields. You require light armor proficiency first though.

Oh, crap, how did I miss that? Cool.

Aramis Rhett
2014-09-27, 06:12 PM
And for the future posters saying to roll a Mountain Dwarf, their racial is for Medium Armor only. Doesn't specify shields in it anywhere.

Gnomes2169
2014-09-27, 06:22 PM
And for the future posters saying to roll a Mountain Dwarf, their racial is for Medium Armor only. Doesn't specify shields in it anywhere.

Roll a mount-

Hmmmmmmmmm...

Roll a fighter, barbarian or paladin! :smallbiggrin: