PDA

View Full Version : E6 Making a Beholder CR10-ish

Blackhawk748
2014-09-26, 10:40 PM
So we are playing an E6 game and my character has a beholder in his background (it stole an artifact that his grandfather was protecting, it may not still have it but we still will prbly fight it) So how would we go about downgrading the standard Beholder to CR 10 while still maintaining its Huge size?

Forrestfire
2014-09-26, 10:59 PM
Nitpick: Beholders are large.

I think that the first step would be to do something about the Save or Dies and Save or Loses it has. Downgrading them to damage or debuffs is probably a good idea. Making it unable to Violent Thrust with its telekinesis eye ray might also be a good thing. Also, lower the amount of shots it can put out a turn, probably.

Novawurmson
2014-09-26, 11:00 PM
Hrm. The young (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/simple-template-young-cr-1) template from Pathfinder could help for one step.

Alternatively, have you thought about altering the encounter? Adding help to the PC's side, giving the PCs favorable terrain, etc.?

Blackhawk748
2014-09-26, 11:06 PM
Nitpick: Beholders are large.

You are correct, why did i think the were Huge? Whatever.

I was thinking of changing Disintegrate to Scorching Ray, Fear, Inflict Mod, Sleep, and Slow can stay, with lowered CL obviously. So we need to replace Finger of Death, Telekinesis, Charm Monster, Charm Person and Flesh to Stone.

PraxisVetli
2014-09-27, 01:04 AM
Is there a reason a Gauth won't work?

Silva Stormrage
2014-09-27, 06:32 AM
If an E6 party can take down a balor they should be able to handle a beholder :smalltongue:

Depending on your party optimization level and such. Getting a scroll of ray deflection (Artificer) would be ludicrously important and valuable.

Blackhawk748
2014-09-27, 09:36 AM
Well heres our party comp (so we can have the Beholder at the proper level)

Me: Dwarven Knight, i have Shield Ward and im pretty much trying to be an iron wall
Orc Barbarian/Rogue, TWF with standard Rage, hes gonna keep taking Rogue levels
Cleric, has the Mercy and Luck Domains, also to a KoK Class sub so he has lower hit points but all Conjuration Healing Spell are one spell level lower for him. Hes the Ultimate Healmonkey.
Aasimar Sorc, Impromptu Metamagic so he can use Fell animate and he has Corpse Crafter and Destructive Retribution, hes gonna minion-mance and get one level of Wild Mage.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-09-27, 10:25 AM
A Director and an Eye of the Deep in Lords of Madness are both CR 8. The Eye of the Deep is aquatic, and the Director typically has some sort of dominated vermin that it will use as a mount, in which case it would need a huge size vermin, if you're going for size.

A Director with a Giant Wasp advanced to 15 HD (CR 6) should be an EL 9 encounter, and if you give them both the elite array it would be an EL 10 encounter.

PraxisVetli
2014-09-27, 12:08 PM
A Director and an Eye of the Deep in Lords of Madness are both CR 8. The Eye of the Deep is aquatic, and the Director typically has some sort of dominated vermin that it will use as a mount, in which case it would need a huge size vermin, if you're going for size.

A Director with a Giant Wasp advanced to 15 HD (CR 6) should be an EL 9 encounter, and if you give them both the elite array it would be an EL 10 encounter.

I for one generally second everthing Biffo (can I call you Biffo?) says.

Tvtyrant
2014-09-27, 12:29 PM
I would replace the two Save or Die rays with weaker spells (Vampiric Touch and Bestow Curse) so that the Beholder is not just ganking your party members.

Drop the CL down by a little bit, and give its rays a 1 turn delay so it isn't firing like the Strobelight of Death.

Bronk
2014-09-27, 02:28 PM
I think it would be easier to work it into the story more. Maybe when the beholder stole the artifact from the PC's ancestor, it was gravely wounded and a number of it's eye stalks were cut off. Maybe that also decreased its charisma score, so the DCs are lower. In the meantime, it might have tried to fix itself up using some of the abilities that it could get from the Occular Gems from Dragon 313 (mind fog, poison, ray of exhaustion) that negate the stalk's original function.

Blackhawk748
2014-09-27, 02:53 PM
I think it would be easier to work it into the story more. Maybe when the beholder stole the artifact from the PC's ancestor, it was gravely wounded and a number of it's eye stalks were cut off. Maybe that also decreased its charisma score, so the DCs are lower. In the meantime, it might have tried to fix itself up using some of the abilities that it could get from the Occular Gems from Dragon 313 (mind fog, poison, ray of exhaustion) that negate the stalk's original function.

Well thats definitely an idea, ill discuss that with my DM.

Still trying to think of a good replacement for Flesh to Stone, while we can deal with it in E6 ive never liked using, let alone fighting against, a flat save or "die". As the fight can be decided by one bad roll, its not really my idea of fun, though Poison fits a bit better.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-09-27, 04:13 PM
Still trying to think of a good replacement for Flesh to Stone, while we can deal with it in E6 ive never liked using, let alone fighting against, a flat save or "die". As the fight can be decided by one bad roll, its not really my idea of fun, though Poison fits a bit better.

You could make it like the 5e Cockatrice version: Fort save vs entangled (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#entangled)+immobilized, and if that save was failed they make a Fort save one round later vs being petrified for 24 hours. It's not a permanent, but it completely removes them from the fight and basically guarantees their death if the party loses the battle.

Blackhawk748
2014-09-27, 06:58 PM
You could make it like the 5e Cockatrice version: Fort save vs entangled (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#entangled)+immobilized, and if that save was failed they make a Fort save one round later vs being petrified for 24 hours. It's not a permanent, but it completely removes them from the fight and basically guarantees their death if the party loses the battle.

Wow, i did something similar to this to the Basilisk, glad to see WoTC did it too.

Telok
2014-09-28, 01:43 AM
Actually a 6th level party can take down a beholder if they are well prepared for it and can gain surprise.

Beholders are slow (20' move), weak (10 Str), have a lousy Reflex save (+5), and have an 11 touch AC. Smokesticks (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#smokestick) can be used to shut down it's eyes and nets can keep it near the melee people. Just make sure to surround it with people under Silence spells and it has to guess every shot with the 50% miss chance. If you don't have anyone who can Blind Fight you can always have your spellcasters unload Ref 1/2 damage spells right above your heads. Also, poison. Five or six hits of Purple Worm poison ought to put it down pretty well and is surprisingly affordable.

Not saying it isn't dangerous, but if you have expendable minions and can get a decent touch AC it's quite doable.