PDA

View Full Version : Shadow of the Crimson Sun

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

jedipotter
2014-09-26, 11:10 PM
Eltabbar Eltabbar is the hidden heart of a country that puts forth a hardened image. The city is surprisingly beautiful in nearly every respect, from its glittering canals to its greenery and artworks. There are many fine buildings with columns and marble, and while the greatest are public, a number of private noble houses are quite impressive. The squalor of the slave quarter is negligible compared to the gondolas and the major thoroughfares. This is where Thayans aspire to go on their honeymoons, or to find a suitable marriage. It is also where all Thayan bards would like to perform.

*Location: In the center of Thay, near the Thaymount, on the southern shores of Lake Thaylambar. Most of the oddly shaped tharch is used for growing crops, and a number of Nar ruins are said to dot the landscape far from the city.
*Climate: Like all interior Thayan cities, the weather is fair, with scheduled rainfall at night. The city suffers more often from magical mishaps than any climate changes.
*Geographic Features: The canals of the city are well-known but surprisingly orderly. The lake is plentifully stocked, and the mountains rise steeply to the West. The major road through Thay, known as The Slave Way, leads to Eltabbar from the coast. The road is carefully kept and slaves are marched instead of teleported, so as to break their spirits by the time they arrive in the city.
*History: Eltabbar was founded in 923, a year after Thay won its independence from Mulhorand. Placing the new nation's capital deep inside seemed only natural, but was said to have darker motives. It is near the Thaymount, where the nation's premiere wizards have secret laboratories and forges, and thus sometimes suffers from earthquakes. It was also the heart of the civil conflict amongst the nobles that no one likes to talk about but which necessitated the creation of the Eltabbar Census. Since then, registered noble families can only host a set number of blood relations within the city limits at any given time, a number which has steadily dropped since the creation of the Census but which must be declared to the Census office. Each house is allowed a permanent number of inhabitants and a temporary roster of visitors that can stay for up to six months.
*Reputation: It is known as the center of Kossuth’s worship, the slave trade, politics, and art; it is also the second largest city in Thay.
*Relations: Eltabbar has a rivalry with Bezantur, the most populous city in the empire.
*Religions: Bane, Kossuth, Siamorphe, Waukeen, with lesser gods in minor temples and shrines. The churches of Eltabbar all require regular tithing and/or service, although they are careful not to cross the will of the Red Wizards. Most churches use discounts and special services as bargaining chips over the majority of the populace; such things are never assured, except for Red Wizards.
*Notable Heroism: Generals for Thay often hail from Eltabbar, but are trained at the military academy in Pyarados. The Tharchion spends a good amount of time in the city.
*Notable Scandals: Those who try to flee noble families and duties are looked down upon, and traitors to Thay are reviled.
*Important Celebrations: Major holidays for the churches are conspicuously grand.
*Criminal Element(s): The city is run by evil and vengeful wizards. Any thieves in the area steal from visitors, not from locals(but not always...of course)

Your a rat in the third circle arena, the Scarlet Pit. It's a large circular place, around an battle area of red sand that is stained with blood daily. You live in a large underground room with twenty or so other people, but it changes all the time. People come and go and die. There are not many guards, but they are not needed as there are dozens of locked door(probably at least one locked by magic too)

Gormella Meravanchi is your owner. You have met her a time or two, but nothing bag as your a nobody. She is the wife of Drulmdor Meravanchi, a food merchant. Your master is Barristol Korranton,

Rat a new gladiator
Dog one step above a rat
Wolf a 'wild' gladiator, often from a wilderness life style, that don't fit in civilization
Owlbear a veteran gladiator

Green Match the most basic fight, lasts until one person is knocked down
Blue Match The two fight until one is knocked out
Yellow Match the two fight until one can't fight anymore...this could be death, but it does not have to be
Red Match A fight to the death. Rare. Often the 'sunday' night fight, but they can happen any time. Often, but not always this will be a 'fight' between two Red Wizards. It can be a fight by proxy or such, though it will always have Red Wizard support somehow.

Third Circle The outermost, lowest type of gladiator fights. Often Green fights.
Second Circle The middle fights, for the middle class
First Circle The big main events.

And two others:
Fourth Circle is an illegal fight
Fifth Circle a quick, rush fight...often not in any arena

Frivolous
2014-09-27, 02:43 AM
Alton, once only called and still often called Maggot, looks around and listens with attentively, even as he tries to keep a bored, bland expression on his face.

As always, he looks for an advantage, an opportunity, something, anything that might help him win his freedom or escape. Perhaps a generous gesture to put someone in his debt, perhaps information he could use as blackmail or bribe.

Even as he scopes out the situation, Alton tries to keep his back to a wall. Even wearing armor and with his battleaxe and shield in his hands, he knows he could die from a precise and powerful sneak attack. And he does not want to die here.

jedipotter
2014-09-27, 10:54 AM
The life of a gladiator slave it quite boring. Wake up, eat, work out and train in an endless cycle. There are only a few, low rank guards around. Most masters care little, so they only show up once in a while. Many gladiators keep to themselves, but just as many for small tight groups...

A young humanoid woman in scale mail comes over to sit next to you, "Is this spot taken?" she says with a sly smile, Her voice has an edge to it, and even though she is obviously young, she words have a hardness that betrays how many terrible things she has seen in life. She looks like a marble statue that has spent too many decades in the rain and wind; her facial features are muted and subtle, her body is lean and her arms and legs are just a little too long to look right by normal human standards. Her fiery main of red hair flows everywhere.

"I'm Akula Kyre, hound. Wel met. Are you the kind of sort that likes to speak? I hope so..."

Frivolous
2014-09-27, 12:49 PM
OOC post

Name: Alton Maggot (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=186291)
Race: Human
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Class: Cleric

Stats Alton Maggot (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=1021611)
Male Chaotic Neutral Human Cleric, Level 1, Init +3, HP 10/10, Speed 20
AC 17, Touch 11, Flat-footed 16, Fort +4, Ref +1, Will +4, Base Attack Bonus 0
Masterwork Battleaxe +4 (1d8+2, x3)
Dagger +2/+1 (1d4+2, 19-20/x2)
Javelin (3) +1 (1d6+2, x2)
Scale mail, Heavy wooden shield (+4 Armor, +2 Shield, +1 Dex)
Abilities Str 14, Dex 13, Con 14, Int 13, Wis 15, Cha 11
Condition None

Description A short, compactly muscled young man of indeterminate race with light tan skin, dark brown eyes, and very long brown hair and beard. Looks 5 years older than his actual age. Closed, guarded expression. Almost never smiles. Hoarse baritone voice. Often dirty and smelly.

Slave brand behind his left ear.

Personality Determined, ruthless, faithful, wary, watchful, stoic, constantly and quietly angry, thrifty, independent.

Background Maggot never knew his origins. He was adopted and cared for by some of the nicer gladiators who missed their families, but no one he knew lived very long. One after the other, he saw his friends die in the arena or from a knife in the dark. Sometimes a man got lucky and was purchased by an admirer, but that was rare.

In his early teens, as he helped wrap the body of a friend, he picked up the man's wooden holy symbol of Tempus and felt a distant echo of the god's iron will. Over the next several years, he sought out information on the god of war, learning of the doctrine of battle that gave meaning to fighting and rose above the despicable meanness of the arena. Maggot dedicated his first battle as a gladiator at the age of 16 to Tempus.

When a Cormyrian cleric of Tempus named Thelonius was seized as a slave and brought to the arena, Maggot befriended him and asked for instruction, which Thelonius willingly gave. It was Thelonius who gave the boy the name Alton and initiated him into the clergy.

As Thelonius died a painful death shortly after fighting and defeating a dire wolf, Alton promised his dying mentor and the god that he would be free.

Notes:
1. Has the domain of War, so has Martial Weapon Proficiency and Weapon Focus for the battleaxe.
2. Has free masterwork battleaxe as his regional equipment bonus.
3. Has 5 gold and 9 silver left from starting gold. All but 5 silver are in store credit to keep others from realizing he wants to escape.
4. Has a backup holy symbol of Tempus in case the first one is lost or stolen.
5. Has the regional feat Blooded, so cannot be shaken. Can still be frightened or panicked.

Frivolous
2014-09-27, 01:04 PM
A drop of oily sweat flows sluggishly down Alton Maggot's cheek into his dense beard. He ignores it, his own general greasiness and smelliness, and the bright sun above that would make the day hot even if he was not wearing full armor.

Maggot's grip tightens slightly on the masterwork battleaxe (the glyph of the dwarven weaponsmith Zarthax burned into the hilt) that was the last best gift of his friend Thelonius as the female approaches. He turns his head a little to watch and listen to her.

He coughs a few times and hums briefly to tune the rough instrument in his throat, then speaks in a voice made hoarse by too many screams and shouts. "Akula Kyre, hound. I am usually called Maggot. Also Worthless Wretch. My friends would call me Alton."

"Only they don't call."

He shrugs minutely in scale mail. "Talk whatever, sit wherever. It's a free country."

"Only it's not."

His tone of voice is flat. His eyes watch her abdomen.

jedipotter
2014-09-27, 03:31 PM
Akula Kyre "Free country? You must be a new rat. Nothing is free around here. Even the ones around here that are not salves are more enslaved then those of us who are in chains. " she says shaking her head. She is just as dirty as everyone else, though she does not seem to be sweating too much, even in her armor.

"So what is your plan? Escape? Be the best gladiator? Or just survive? My life is on the High Seas. That is what I was before this I was a piratter, deck hand on a fine ship, The Quickwave. Until last moon, when we attempted to take a Thesken cog, and failed. And ended up here. My mates, I have no idea, I have not seen one of them. And I don't have anyone else. So I'm for escape."

Frivolous
2014-09-27, 03:45 PM
Alton tenses inside his head and in his gut and neck. He looks around to see if anyone is close enough to overhear.

He lowers his voice and says, "What are you doing? Are you trying to trap me? That kind of talk can get you killed."

But Alton's eyes belie his words and defensive body language. He is a terrible liar, and he seems too interested.

He tilts his head to one side, adding up tiny discrepancies. But he does not speak his thoughts. Instead, he says, "I'm also called Doc. I can heal, if you need it. My friend taught me."

jedipotter
2014-09-27, 09:41 PM
Akula Kyre "No one cares" she nods her head about. No one is really looking at the two of you, or paying you much attention.

"We are all slaves, we all want to escape. It's not broadsheet news. So who would they tell? And what more can they do to you? Lock you up and force you to fight? They can't really hurt us, we make them too much money.

A healer? A priest? You have divine power? That can be very useful. Who do you follow? I'm a follower of Valkur myself."

Frivolous
2014-09-28, 12:23 AM
Alton's eyes widen slightly. "Valkur?" His lips twitch slightly, the ghost of a ghost of a smile. "He's the god of sailors. What's the point of worshiping him here, on land?"

He shrugs in response to her question. "I just heal. Keep a rat on the brink alive to fight another day."

He nods. "We do make them money.... But slaves are easily replaced. The markets are full of 'em, or so I hear. I would not know. I could have been born here."

"This arena is all I know."

jedipotter
2014-09-28, 12:19 PM
Akula Kyre "I am a sailor. I don't loose my faith just as I'm on land. I'll get back on a ship someday.

We are not that easy to replace. It takes a lot of time and work to get a good slave to do anything. That is good advice here, make yourself have value....... "

With a loud THUNK a door opens down the hall. Eight guards and Barristol Korranton come down the hall. Barristol points to one, two and then three other slaves. "And grab Maggot, he is over there by the wall. You all got a fight coming up, so get ready."

Two guards in banded mail with black tabards come over to you and wave for you to get up.

Akula Kyre"You might want to avoid flashy spells.." she hisses

Frivolous
2014-09-28, 10:04 PM
Alton nods briefly to Akula Kyre's declaration of continued faith. "The only way to live. Both mortals and gods despise fair-weather friends."

But he snorts, a show of amusement he can use without actually smiling, when she mentions not using flashy spells. He just stands up, swings his battleaxe over his head once to affirm his battle-willingness, and walks up to Barristol and the two guards.

He says laconically, "I'm ready." Inside, though, he prays to Tempus that he make a good showing of himself.

jedipotter
2014-09-28, 10:50 PM
You, and the other three gladiators are taken through many locked doors in a long twisting pattern through the place. Eventually you get to a waiting area, slightly below the main arena.

Barristol Korranton "All right, ears open. This will be a cutter fight. Some Red Wizard has made a new special rat monster. He wants to see how it fights. Your more then allowed to kill it, after all it will try to kill all of you. I hear it's got quite a bite." he says with a smile.

Two goblins, from the arena bank, come over, "Anyone need any thing?"

The other three gladiators shake their heads no.

Frivolous
2014-09-28, 10:57 PM
Like the other 3 gladiators, Alton also shakes his head and says, "No."

But he asks, "Red Wizard, huh? In the audience." He doesn't seem to be looking at anyone in particular, so it might be the vague sort of rhetorical question a halfwit might mumble.

He wishes he could ask if the rat were alive or dead. But even if it were dead, the Red Bastard might notice turning.

jedipotter
2014-09-29, 12:14 AM
If Barristol Korranton hears your question, he does not say anything. He turns to talk to some other arena people about the odds and bets.

A guard, just off to your left does say: "There are like a dozen or two out there. It's typical wizardy. Two of them got into some type of disagreement over the rat monster. Some how it fireballed into all this. And now people will die because of it."

The other three gladiators ignore the guard and just look down.

The Arena doorman looks back to the group and holds up his hand with two fingers to give the warning the door is about to be opened in two minutes.

Frivolous
2014-09-29, 12:24 AM
OOC questions and comments Any known rules about where and how the gladiators can position themselves in this kind of fight?

It might be worthwhile to stand on opposite sides of the door so they can perhaps surprise and strike the rat monster while it is flat footed.

Also, please let me know if I should roll anything for Diplomacy or whatever.

Alton wishes he had prepared a Bless spell this morning. But it might not be good anyway to use it when so many wizards are in the audience. He frowns sternly at the other 3 gladiators, who are looking far too timid for his liking.

He licks his lips, because he hardly has any training or experiencing in raising spirits, then says, "It's just a rat monster. We'll kill it, and maybe the Red Robe on the other side of the argument will reward us for killing his rival's pet."

"So don't look like you're already attending your own funerals. Chin up."

He also quickly looks the other 3 gladiators over to discern what armor they are wearing and what weapons they are wielding. A thought strikes him.

"Hey, anyone got any oil? Maybe we can spread some around the door, then light it up when the rat monster gets through. What about caltrops?"

jedipotter
2014-09-29, 02:10 AM
Sure there are rules. A lot like a sporting event, you start on your side and the opponent on the other. It is a lot about the show, of course. And to getting up at the other door would not be a good show.

Everyone (almost) is flat footed on the first round of combat anyway.

Who would you want to use diplomacy on? The other slaves? The guards? Everyone is Unfriendly at best, and Hostile at worse....

Theoff Wayfinder is a half-elf male in leather armor, he has a long sword and a shield.

Lo-Kag is an half orc with scale mail armor and a large mace.

Wev Merryfoote is a halfling in leather armor and he has several daggers.

Wev "I'm a merchant, not a fighter. How does one fight a rat monster? Why would I have oil, I'm not going to light a lamp here, am I

Lo-Kag just shakes his head ''no''

Theoff Wayfinder "Oil and caltrops is beyond all of us. We are all just rat food."

The three of them just keep looking down mostly.

The arena door man opens the door, and up above the horns sound. The other three gladiators run up the stairs into the main arena, as the crowd starts to cheer...

Frivolous
2014-09-29, 11:38 AM
Maggot mutters to himself, "By the gods, I hate wimps."

Angry with this whole situation, he snaps, "Fine. Lo-Kag and I will keep the monster occupied. It's probably big. Theoff and Wev, you two try to flank it with us and attack it from behind. We can beat the damned thing if we work together and surround it on all sides."

"Tempus and Tymora aid the brave. Let's kill this sucker."

Maggot runs up the stairs and takes a frontal and cautiously defensive position.

jedipotter
2014-09-29, 04:01 PM
The arena floor is huge, a couple hundred feet around at least. Red sand covers the whole floor and is about ankle deep. The arena itself is made all out of light colored stone. Benches and viewing boxes fill the levels all the way around the arena. As does a low pen, where you see lots of fellow gladiators watching. The turn out looks average, about half the seats are full. Most of the boxes are full of people in red robes, but some red robed people sit on the benches too.

Across the arena 100 feet away, the other door opens.......and a massive horse sized rat with dark gray fun and glowing red eyes runs out into the sand. It lets out a squeak and runs towards the four of you...

Round 1
Giant Rat Monster is 100 feet away....

[roll0]

Everyone on your ''side'' will move and act at the same time...on your initiative

Frivolous
2014-09-30, 12:17 AM
Maggot's tactical mind seizes the situation and squeezes out the optimal choice, even though it makes him flinch. He shouts to his comrade gladiators, "Spread out a bit! I'll take the brunt of the attack! Then, when it is within 20 to 30 feet, converge, flank it, and attack!"

Hoping that the Red Wizards are all too far away to see his gestures or to use Detect Magic on him, Alton casts Shield of Faith, calling on the god to help him protect himself from this wizard-made monster.

He also says in a level voice, just loudly enough so his comrades can hear, "God of battles, I dedicate this fight to you. May we demonstrate courage, conviction, and wisdom on this, your field."

Actions
Initiative: [roll0]

Speak as a free action. Cast Shield of Faith. No move action yet, since it is 100 feet away and probably (hopefully) cannot attack this round.

Condition None

jedipotter
2014-09-30, 01:20 AM
Theoff Wayfinder takes a double move and goes a full 60 feet off to the right side,

Wev Merryfoote moves 30 feet to the left.

Lo-Kag moves just 10 feet to the right, giving you a nod.

The giant rat simply charges, moving a full 80 feet closer

That is all the actions for Round 1

Round 2

Your group goes first....

Frivolous
2014-09-30, 10:15 AM
As the enormous and disgusting rat monster charges, Maggot calls to Lo-Kag. "When it's close, circle around and try ta flank it. Bash it from behind."

Then he holds his axe above his head and roars to Theoff and Wev, "Now! Together, we strike! RAAAAAAAH!" He charges and hacks at the rat monster!

Actions
Shield of Faith is in effect. Its bonus to AC is negated by an equal penalty from charging. +2 to attack from charge.

Attack with masterwork battleaxe: [roll0]
Damage with masterwork battleaxe: [roll1]

Condition None

jedipotter
2014-09-30, 06:43 PM
Maggot's axe swing does not even come close to the giant rat monster as it swiftly avoids your blade.

Theoff Wayfinder takes another double move all the way over to the edge wall of the arena, though you can't really tell what he is doing.

Wev Merryfoote stands where he was, 30 feet away, but does not do anything.

Lo-Kag charges from the side and swings at the rat.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Lo-Kag comes at the rat from the side....and lands a powerful blow on the rats back. With a huge thump his large mace hit the rat's back and sinks in deep, damaging flesh and breaking bone.

The Rat goes to bite Maggot!

[roll2]
[roll3]

The Rat snaps it's jaws at Maggot, coming a bit close...bit not hitting.

Takes us to Round 3

Frivolous
2014-10-01, 12:19 AM
As the rat monster strikes, Maggot grimaces, not from fear, but from the utter humiliation of missing so badly. What an awful, disgusting death for a servant of Tempus. No good show at all.

Then he breathes a sigh of relief and thanks to his god as the rat monster misses. He has a chance to make a worthwhile fight of this. Then he notices what the others are doing (or rather, not doing) and he screams in anger at Theoff and Wev, "What are you doing? Attack the damned thing; it's trying to kill ME, not you!"

Cursing them, he hacks again at the rat monster with his axe.

Actions
Shield of Faith is in effect, so AC is 19.

OOC
Ay, two bad misses in a row.

Condition None

jedipotter
2014-10-01, 01:08 AM
Theoff Wayfinder and Wev Merryfoote stay where they are, not doing much of anything

Lo-Kag attacks again
[roll0]

Lo-Kag hits, but only does a bit of harm as his blow was only smashing the rat's tail And oops, he did not roll damage, had to do that one with a real dice...

The Rat lets out a high pitched sound and goes for Lo-Kag!

[roll1]
[roll2]

The rat misses hitting Lo-Kag

The crowd, claps and cheers and boos

Round 4

Frivolous
2014-10-01, 01:14 AM
Maggot's bearded face is burning with shame now.

He tries to maneuver so that he and Lo-Kag flank the beast without himself being attacked. Silently begging Tempus for battle-skill, he hacks down, shouting, "Die, you beast!"

Actions
If possible, 5-foot step to flank. If not possible, don't move, just attack.

Condition None

Frivolous
2014-10-01, 01:19 AM
To confirm critical threat...

jedipotter
2014-10-01, 01:29 AM
You can step and flank

Maggot hits! But no crit Your axe slides into the side of the rats head and cuts off it's left ear.

Theoff Wayfinder and Wev Merryfoote stay where they are, not doing much of anything

Lo-Kag makes his attack
[roll0]
[roll1]

Lo-Kag lands a good, solid, powerful blow right on the rats back. There is a loud snapping sound as the rats bones, maybe it's spine breaks. The crowd cheers.

The Rat does not fall and makes another snap at Lo-Kag

Rat makes it's attack at Lo-Kag

[roll2]
[roll3]

But the rat does not even get close.

Round 5

Frivolous
2014-10-01, 01:34 AM
Maggot breathes a sigh of relief and thanks to the god. He hardens his grip on his battleaxe and hacks again, chanting in a low voice, "Tempus, Tempus, Tempus, Tempus, Tempus...."

Actions
Add +2 to attack roll below for flanking.

Condition None

jedipotter
2014-10-01, 01:52 AM
With a good, solid thunk...your axe goes right into the head of the Rat and it falls to the ground...dead.

Lo-Kag lets out a happy grunt.

The crowd cheers loudly and claps.

Wev Merryfoote quickly runs over and stabs the body of the rat once with his dagger. He then pulls the dagger out and waves the now bloody dagger to the crowd "We did it!''

Frivolous
2014-10-01, 12:28 PM
Now that the fight is over, Maggot's violent demeanor kind of collapses, and he becomes close-mouthed and guarded again, panting and sweaty from the objectively short but subconsciously very long moments of battle. He whispers, "Yeah, we did it."

He nods across the rat monster's body to the half-orc Lo-Kag. "No wounds on our side. Excellent fight."

Consciously playing for the crowd of Red Wizards, he waves his bloody battleaxe over his head and grins and roars, "RAAAAAAAH!"

Looking over the audience, especially at the watchers in red robes, he mutters to his fellow gladiators, "Can any of you see the Red Wizard who made the critter? I hope no one is angry enough to blast us for killing it..."

Spot + Sense Motive
Spot: [roll0]
Sense Motive: [roll1]

Condition None

jedipotter
2014-10-01, 09:25 PM
Lo-Kag just shrugs.

The crowd is clapping and cheering, with only a couple of 'boos'. There are thirty or so people in red robes, most in the boxes. Five of the red robed men in one box are having quite an animated argument.

Though you have no idea what the red wizard your looking for looks like, so you don't spot him anywhere.

The guards come out and gather the four of you together back by the entrance.

Frivolous
2014-10-02, 12:41 AM
Alton quickly finds himself cooling down emotionally. By the time he returns to the Scarlet Pit, he is back to "normal". The only difference is he is sweatier and grimier, and there is rat monster blood on the blade of his masterwork battleaxe and splattered all over his armor and arms and face. He tries to resist the impulse to lick it away.

He looks for Barristol Korranton first of all, if the Master is still present, wondering how the pit owner would react to his gladiators winning so handily against a foul Red Wizard creation. For all Alton knew, Korranton might have preferred that his slaves be slaughtered.

jedipotter
2014-10-02, 01:23 AM
Barristol Korranton is easy enough to spot, in a large group of people talking all excitedly about something.

The chatty guard sees you and comes over "The red wizard is a bit mad his rat lost and wants some type of re match. The things people do for love, eh? It's all over the hand of a woman, so I heard. They might be wanting to send you right back out. Soon as they get a creature over here."

Frivolous
2014-10-02, 01:32 AM
Alton snorts. "A woman? Figures. Even the Reds have trouble with 'em."

Then he parses the last sentence. "Another? They want us to fight two in a row? Bad, bad."

At that moment, Alton's spell runs out, and he grunts in dismay as the Shield of Faith dissipates.

Eager for information bearing upon his terrible and nasty situation, Alton nods agreeably to the guard who chatted with him and wanders in the direction of Barristol Korranton, hoping to overhear whatever the Master is talking about. But he does not come too close.

Listen
Take 10 on Listen, as well as this roll:
Listen: [roll0]

jedipotter
2014-10-02, 12:52 PM
"That rat was all smoke'' "It is what you get betting on a rat'' ''It was a sure thing'' **all laugh** Barristol Korranton "Only sure things are death and taxes'' **most laugh** "So, you think they will take your deal?" Barristol Korranton "I don't care. I made the offer. Did my job. Don't really care what happens." "Your a credit to your job" **most laugh**

A human male in brown robes, wearing a gold circlet with a large ruby on it comes over to the group and says "Your deal, Barristol, is accepted" and then he quickly turns and walks away.

"Well...by Khossoth's Firey Flame, looks like we got another match."

The group of men breaks up and move around.

Barristol, a couple of guards and two of the arena people stay. "Gather up gladiators and get ready. Your going back out. They got a new monster for you all to fight. Double or nothing. "

The main doors back up to the arena are then closed.

Frivolous
2014-10-02, 12:58 PM
Alton says, "Crap."

He pleads to Barristol, though it makes him want to retch. "Right this minute, Master? We'd sure like a chance to pick up a longspear or something. The next monster might charge again."

OOC Questions
1. What happens to a gladiator's belongings and his credit in the arena store if he dies?

2. Is it permissible (IC) to extort money from other gladiators? Are there any rules against it?

3. What are your alignment requirements? Extorting money counts as an evil act, but Alton is Chaotic Neutral anyway and I figure he can make up for it with good acts.

jedipotter
2014-10-02, 04:28 PM
Barristol Korranton "Yea, busy day. You got a couple long breaths. " he waves to a guy and another guy waves back.

Two goblins come running in one of the smaller doors. "Anyone need anything from the store?" says the first goblin as he walks over to the gladiators.

The other three shake their heads ''no''. The goblins then look at you.

1. A gladiators can will their credit to another gladiator, or their sponsor or their family, if they so wish.

Slaves don't really own what they have, so their credit will go to their master(and by extension owner).

2. Keep in mind the whole society is Lawful Evil. The vast majority of gladiators see themselves as honorable warriors and won't cheat, steal or extort money. Some do though. There are no rules against it.

In general, no one cares what slaves do to other slaves. Except, sometimes, the owner/master might care for some reason or another...maybe. A slave can't really extort from a free person, as the free person can just go to the owner/master and make a deal or threaten legal action.

3. Extortion is evil in a vague sense, though lots of ''forcefully talking another money'' is neutral or even good. As Chaotic Neutral, your free to do acts of good or evil without much chance of an alignment change.

Typical Chaotic Neutral can be vaguely described as a true hedonist — they are interested in fulfilling their desires, and in pursuing their own interests. They have little to no respect for law and order, at best accepting it as a necessary evil that furthers these ends, at worst to the point they are prepared to commit acts that are immoral or outright criminal, avoiding a Neutral or Chaotic Evil alignment due to simply not being ruthless or malevolent enough. They are not evil because their desires are not especially evil (or they have too much of a conscience), but neither are they altruistic enough to be considered good, and they may hold both either in disdain or with indifference, feeling that to each their own, though most know better than to hang out with especially wicked types. At best, they are kind to friends, family or strangers if only because they find such behaviour personally satisfying; at worst, they are Jerkasses who don't give a damn about anyone but themselves, and are indifferent or blind to the rights of others.

Frivolous
2014-10-02, 04:45 PM
Alton ruefully computes the amount of gold it would take to buy even a spear that could be used to brace against another giant rat monster charge. Then he, too, shakes his head at the goblin.

"Never mind. I'd like something to use to brace against a charging giant monster, but even a spear would cost too much."

Then he grins at Wev. "Unless you or Theoff wanna contribute some? A spear costs only 2 gold, and it might help save your life. If me or Lo-Kag got one to use."

"Or you could use one yourself. For a change."

Alton steps closer to Lo-Kag, shoulder to shoulder, indicating by body language that he considers the half-orc to be his battle-brother, even if only temporarily, as gladiators must.

More pertinently, he indicates he does not feel the same way at all about the halfling Wev or the elf Theoff.

jedipotter
2014-10-02, 05:31 PM
Theoff Wayfinder "I have no store credit.

Wev Merryfoote "I'm broke too. I just got what I'm holding."

Lo-Kag stands shoulder to shoulder with, for now, battle brother Alton "I have nothing"

The goblins wait a couple more seconds, wiggling their ears.

A bald human male in white robes comes over to the four gladiators. "Well met, I'm Zolis Mariualdi. A mage of no small desert. I just happened to win a bit of coin on your last fight. I love to bet on the underbug! Though, I have a scry that the next fight might be a bit Red Ringed. You say you need a spear, I could buy you one or two. Maybe something else you need?''

Frivolous
2014-10-03, 12:27 AM
Alton finds himself staring curiously at this stranger, this so-called mage in the white robe.

"In exchange for what, sir?" he asks bluntly.

OOC comment
Zolis' use of idiom is odd. Do I detect ironic miscommunication in the Common tongue?

jedipotter
2014-10-03, 12:53 AM
Zolis Mariualdi "Exchange? Don't be a kobold king. I know you have nothing to offer in exchange. I just want you to win the fight. Nothing more, nothing less. And even if there was no red ringing, and I think there might be. So....need anything?"

Miscommunication? Maybe?

As long as you can understand what is being said. I like the flavor and immersion of saying ''I will strike with the might of threehammers and split your ka from your ba and cast it into The Wall''. But it does get kinda pointless if it just confuses you.

So do you like just figuring out what words and phrases mean, or would you like notes?

Frivolous
2014-10-03, 01:08 AM
Alton glances at the others, then shrugs and nods. Why not?

"Yeah, these two probably need longspears." He points with his thumb at Theoff and Wev. "Their armor sucks, so they don't dare get into melee, but with a longspear they can attack without too much risk."

"What about you, Lo-Kag? You want a shield? Looks like the patron is offering to buy you one, maybe."

Alton looks to see if Theoff and Wev seem agreeable to fighting on those terms, with longspears. He also glances sideways at Zolis, uncertain of how much is the mage's budget for gladiator gifts.

OOC comment
I understand the gist. I think. Just asking because the idiom is decidedly non-standard. In at least one case, so much so that I suspect the opposite meaning.

jedipotter
2014-10-03, 02:34 AM
Theoff Wayfinder "I'll take a long spear"

Wev Merryfoote "I'd much rather have a sling and a couple stones."

Lo-Kag"Lo-Kag need no shield. Shield is for the weak!"

Zolis Mariualdi "All very doable. And anything for you?" he says to Anton.

A follower of Tempus is a soldier and is always looking for a fight. Now this does not mean a true follower starts fights at a whim, but more they look for a fight to join. To truly live and experience the divinity of Tempus one must fight. It does not matter if it is a duel, small group, battle or all out war. A fight is a fight.

A follower of Tempus is a warrior of honor, but it is a personal honor. Tempus does not care about what others say about honor. The only honor that matters is your own personal view, and that of Tempus himself.

All is fair in war and battle. To a point. Trickery, deception and misdirection is all part of combat and battles. Though a follower would never take unfair advantage, needlessly overpower a lesser foe, or outright cheat.

A follower of Tempus does not care why they fight. Fighting is a holy duty and pleasure. Good and Evil. Law and Chaos. Right and Wrong. None of it matters. The fight is the fight.

A follower of Tempus is not cruel or callous or needlessly bloody. At least not more then the basic amount that comes with any fight, combat or battle. A follower would not attack an innocent or non-combatant or one that was helpless or unable to retaliate, as that would not be a fight.

A follower of Tempus need not follow any rule or law or order, other then the dictates of Tempus, from anyone, if they do not choose to do so. Even so, you are expected to obey the law and order of whatever society you choose to live in. This is even more true when your a soldier in a combat unit. If you agree to join a combat unit, you must follow that units chain of command. An army is not a random collection of people, it is a united whole that is greater then the sum of it's parts.

Frivolous
2014-10-03, 11:54 AM
Alton is baffled; it had been a while since someone had just asked what he wanted. His expression becomes somewhat dumbstruck and makes him look stupid.

He is on the brink of declining when the cruel and ruthless part of him demands he ask for something, to aid in his mission of achieving freedom.

"Uh... Some alchemist's fire, or at least acid. But not now. Later would be fine."

He glances at his fellow gladiator and says to Zolis, "I'm pretty confident of our chances. None of us even got hurt the first time. I think that's why the Red Wizard was so mad, that his rat monster did so poorly."

jedipotter
2014-10-03, 03:00 PM
Zolis Mariualdi hands over some gold coins to the goblins and buys the long spear, sling and stones, and two flasks of alchemical fire. "There, all good?"

The arena door worker gives the ''five minute'' wave by holding up his hand.

Frivolous
2014-10-03, 03:09 PM
Alton looks amazed. He nods, hangs up his battleaxe, and carefully stows the alchemist's fire in his pouch.

"Yes, we're good. Thank you."

He goes to look for the "chatty" guard and try to find out what the next monster surprise is going to be.

He also fantasizes about using the alchemist's fire to set the entire gladiator barracks and arena aflame. It would surely slay him, but he'd be free and he'd kill plenty of his enemies, too.

jedipotter
2014-10-03, 03:37 PM
The arena doorkeep waves for the two minute warning.

The chatty guard "Llaars Nirum. They sure found a weird monster for you guys this time. It's a giant tiger with snakes!"

The arena doorkeep then opens the doors and waves you out into the arenas floor.

Frivolous
2014-10-03, 03:56 PM
Alton looks blank. He can't process the information at all, nor can he imagine what it might look like. Even as he stumbles back towards the arena he had left just a short while ago, he just keeps saying, "A what? A what?"

He struggles to contain his repetitiveness and says, "Okay, as before: Flank if possible. If it charges, Theoff, I want you to set and brace your spear. Try to impale the thing."

"Wev, you and I will use our missile weapons against the thing while it's still far away. When it is close, we fight in melee."

Alton sticks 2 javelins point first in the sand of the arena. He takes up his 3rd javelin and prepares to throw it at the beast when it is within range.

jedipotter
2014-10-03, 10:01 PM
The doors on the other side of the arena open, and a massive creature comes out into the arena floor. It's basic body is a massive, large sized tiger with six legs. Sprouting from around it's neck are six rainbow scaled snakes. The creature lets out a roar and six hisses and bounds across the arena.

Round 1

The creature starts at it's door and you four start at your door, putting everyone 100 feet away from each other at the start of round 1.

[roll0]

Frivolous
2014-10-04, 08:44 AM
Maggot breathes as he sees the incredible and bizarre thing that opposes them. He breathes, "Crap. Maybe we did succeed too well."

Striving to put a brave show on his horror, he steps forward 5 feet and bellows, "Come at me, you vile and unnatural beast!"

He bangs his javelin haft against his shield and repeats, "Come at me!"

To his companions, he says, "Wev, start to use your sling at once, even if it is far out of normal range. Theoff, get ready to set your longspear."

"We can't waste any opportunity or advantage to put down that thing."

Initiative

jedipotter
2014-10-04, 12:13 PM
Round 1

The monster moves at it's normal pace, moving 50 feet closer. So now just 50 feet away. It's bright, green eyes look over the four of you...and finally it's gaze settles on Theoff Wayfinder. Then with a slight growl, the monster breathes out a line of bright yellow fire right at Theoff!

[roll0]

[roll1]

Theoff Wayfinder stumbles and does not dodge the flames....and lights up like a tindertwig......falling to the ground in a pile of burning human remains.

The crowd cheers wildly!

Frivolous
2014-10-04, 12:35 PM
Maggot screams, "Crap!" He yells at his surviving comrades, "Attack!"

He moves closer and then throws his javelin at the monster, chanting under his voice, "Tempus, Tempus, Tempus..."

Actions
Move forward 20 feet and throw javelin. From 30 feet away, javelin is at the very edge of the first range increment.

Attack with javelin: [roll0]

Condition None

jedipotter
2014-10-04, 08:04 PM
Your javelin flies up into the air....and lands in the red sand nowhere near the creature.

Wev Merryfoote hurls a sling stone...

[roll0]
[roll1]

Miss

Lo-Kag charges! Going the 60 feet to the monster...

[roll2]
[roll3]

Hit, and he pounds into it's fur for some damage.

Round 2

Creature attacks Lo-Kag

[roll]1d20+8[/roll
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]
[roll12]
[roll13]

Lo-Kag saves, if needed:
[roll14]
[roll15]
[roll16]

Misses like crazy....

Alton's action

Frivolous
2014-10-05, 12:32 AM
Roaring wordlessly like a madman in what he suspects are his last few moments on Faerun, Altun charges and hacks at the vile abomination with his battleaxe!

He tries to angle his charge, though, so that he has a chance of flanking the beast with Lo-Kag next round....if both of them survive.

Edited Actions + OOC
Charge. +2 to attack included in the roll below, -2 to AC until next round.

Edit: Completely forgot that Alton did not have his battleaxe in his hand as of yet. Please feel free to retcon the above rolls if it suits you. He will settle for moving forward 20 feet and drawing his battleaxe.

Condition None

jedipotter
2014-10-05, 12:54 PM
Moving 20 feet (move action) and drawing weapon(free action with a normal move) still leave you a whole standard action to do during round one. Any action you might want to take? Maybe cast cause fear? It's not a flashy spell by any means.

Frivolous
2014-10-05, 01:03 PM
OOC
Thank you for offering.

And while I would gratefully accept, I don't think it's technically possible. Cause Fear has a short range, maximum 25 feet at Alton's level.

jedipotter
2014-10-05, 01:19 PM
Monster is 50 feet away. So instead of moving just 20 feet, take your normal move and move 30 feet. That puts just 20 feet away from the monster...and within spell range.

Frivolous
2014-10-05, 01:22 PM
OOC
Got it.

Alton casts Cause Fear at the terrifying monster, a spell he hopes all the maniacal Red Wizards in the audience don't notice him casting.

jedipotter
2014-10-05, 01:53 PM
[roll0]

The monster feels the effects of your spell wash over him and....is frightened! It lets out a wimpier and

Round 2

Turns and runs away....

Giving Lo-Keg an AoO!

Frivolous
2014-10-05, 02:09 PM
Alton yells joyfully and misleadingly to Wev, "Now! While it's running from Lo-Kag, hit it with missile weapons!"

Alton trots over to Lo-Kag and softly says to the big half-orc. "I think you're our best throwing arm, Lo-Kag. I got a flask of alchemist's fire in my pouch. Take it and see if you can throw it and burn the sucker next time it approaches."

Actions
Speak as a free action. Move towards Lo-Kag and invite him to take a flask of alchemist's fire from his pouch and use it as a weapon against the monster.

Such a salacious thing to say, I know, especially in a gladiator game. :smallamused: Alton would do it himself, but he has his hands full and Lo-Kag does not.

Condition None

jedipotter
2014-10-05, 02:21 PM
Lo-Kag makes his AoO

[roll0]
[roll1]

Lo-Kag misses....

The monster takes it's move action to move back 50 feet...all the way to the now closed door it came out off a couple seconds ago.

Wev Merryfoote moves 20 feet closer hurls a sling stone...

[roll2]
[roll3]

Wev misses.....

Your action(s).....

Frivolous
2014-10-05, 02:43 PM
Alton says to Lo-Kag, "Follow me. We should stand on either side of the door. When its panic wears off, it will have to come back through the door. With luck, it won't notice us and we can surprise it, flank it, and kill it."

He runs for his life towards the open door through which the horrible monster had entered the arena. He hopes that Lo-Kag takes his advice. He also hopes his plan is not completely stupid.

He readies his battleaxe, preparing to strike down the moment the monster comes back through the door.

Actions
Run towards door. Position himself on the left side of the door, or whatever side that LK does not take.

Ready attack with battleaxe.

Condition None

jedipotter
2014-10-05, 04:32 PM
The monster is still in the arena....the doors back to where it came from are closed They close the doors before the fight starts(right before round one).

So the monster does not leave the arena, it is just standing by the closed doors.

You might just want to move with in range an attack...

Lo-Kag takes the flask from you

Frivolous
2014-10-05, 04:41 PM
OOC Drat it, I completely misread that description, sigh. Sorry.

Alton barks, "Wev! Come here and use this alchemist's fire against it!"

Alton thinks about not waiting for the halfling and throwing the flask himself, but he resists the temptation. He knows he is not too good at throwing anything.

If Lo-Kag moves forward to get in closer range, he trots forward with the half-orc.

jedipotter
2014-10-05, 05:02 PM
Lo-Kag moves up to just ten feet from the monster and throws his flask!

[roll0]
[roll1]

Wev Merryfoote moves up to just ten feet and throws his flask!

[roll2]
[roll3]

Wev only hits with a splash for one point of damage............but Lo-Kag gets a cirt! And throws his flask right into the monsters mouth where it explodes! Wounding the monster more

Frivolous
2014-10-06, 01:29 AM
Alton waits until the other two throw the flasks of alchemist's fire at the frightened abomination. Once they are thrown (and he inwardly exults at Lo-Kag's successful hit), he charges to one flank of the monster, hacking with his axe and screaming at the top of his lungs, "Kill!"

Wait until -after- the throws. Then charge, positioning so as to hopefully create a flank situation next round. +2 bonus to attack included in roll below; -2 to AC until next round.

Dice roller is being uncooperative. :smallfrown:

Condition None

Frivolous
2014-10-06, 01:41 AM
I'm kind of irritated with the GitP dice roller, which is not cooperating with my heroic vision for Alton. :smallsmile:

Sorry for any inconvenience.

jedipotter
2014-10-06, 02:36 AM
Just after your attack...the fear wears off....monster goes to attack!

Re initiative

[roll0]

Just note to flank, you need someone else to be in melee with your target. Everyone else is 10 feet away from the monster, so they can't flank

Frivolous
2014-10-06, 11:58 AM
Alton screams at Lo-Kag, "Help me flank it!"

Did LK's critical hit with the alchemist's fire earlier confirm?

Frivolous
2014-10-06, 12:01 PM
Alton manages to get the drop on the vile monster. If possible, he waits a moment for Lo-Kag to join him opposite the monster.

At the optimal time, he attacks with his battleaxe, instinctively shouting, "Tempus!"

Hope to delay for flank bonus. And since we won initiative, monster is caught flat-footed, perhaps.

Condition None

jedipotter
2014-10-06, 12:53 PM
Lo-Kag nods and moves over to the side and attacks!

[roll0]
[roll1]

Wev Merryfoote charges ten feet forward and attacks with his short sword, slashing at the monsters head.

[roll2]
[roll3]

Alton hits and wounds the monster!

Monster is flat footed (almost everyone is on round 1)

Yes the alchemist fire was a crit....just rolled elsewhere for it

jedipotter
2014-10-06, 01:00 PM
The monster lets out a slight whimper and tumbles to the ground...all the snake heads flop to the ground. The creature it not breathing or moving...just bleeding on the red sand.

The crowd cheers like crazy. Though plenty in the crowd 'boo' or shake their heads or just get up and leave.

Way too much damage there....did not even need Wev's crit...lol

Frivolous
2014-10-06, 01:18 PM
Just to make sure the monster is dead, Alton gives it a few more chops with his battleaxe, growling, "Die, die, die."

Only then, exhausted and trembling from the fight and the fear, does Alton collapse on his knees the bloody sand of the arena. He reaches down and cups a handful of the monster's blood. Then he lets the blood spill on the ground and he whispers, "Tempus, take this offering of horrible monster's blood from your humble servant."

He calls out, "Anyone hurt? Besides poor Theoff anyway."

He snarls, "I hope Theoff's death means they won't make us go for round 3, because that would be real ridiculous."

jedipotter
2014-10-06, 04:28 PM
Lo-Kag "Not hurt at all. Bring on more monsters..hehe."

Wve Merryfoote "Um, wow, that was a good move, hum? I saw the opening and went for my precise strike."

The doors to the arena open and guards and arena workers come out. The captain says "You are all done. Back into the pen and rest up."

The crowd keeps cheering and/or making 'boos'

Frivolous
2014-10-07, 12:34 AM
Alton says, "Great. Okay, let's bow for the crowd."

He grips his bloody battleaxe with his bloody hand and stands up. Hopefully in tandem with his fellows, he bows to the audience and roars and grins falsely to demonstrate his joy, when what he really feels is just glad to be alive.

Then he goes back to the Scarlet Pit to see what Barristol Korranton and the others thinks of his performance. He hopes he doesn't get killed for succeeding too well.

jedipotter
2014-10-07, 12:55 AM
Lo-Kag bows awkwardly. but Wve Merryfoote enjoys the crowd for a few moments.

The guards then lean the three of you through the doors.

Barristol Korranton just gives a short careless wave and just points back down the hallway to the main holding pit

Lo-Kag and Wve Merryfoote just lower their heads and head back down the hallyway....

Frivolous
2014-10-07, 11:42 AM
Alton considers going to his pallet and sleeping off his exhaustion, then looks up at the sun and realizes it has barely moved since he was last talking with the strange woman Akula Kyre.

Speaking of which.... he looks around for her.

jedipotter
2014-10-07, 01:43 PM
It has been about three hours or so. It is compressed time, where we only stop at the highlights.

Akula Kyre is lined up with a bunch of others, all watching the arena floor through some low, iron barred windows. Up in the arena you can already see the next fight: five halflings vs a a dark skinned human with two whirling swords. It is clear the halflings are not any type of fighters, and they just mostly run around. The human simply moves around and kills them one at a time.

The crowd cheers!

Akula Kyre "Well Again," she says when she sees you. She makes a spot for you to come over and stand next to her. "Saw your fight. You did fine. But if it was me I would have used that useless halfling and half elf for bait. They did not even help at all with your first monster. Why did you even give them a second chance? I would have just killed them and been done with it. You were lucky it all worked out in the end. But you lived and did not even get hurt, so everything worked out...this time."

Frivolous
2014-10-07, 01:51 PM
Alton flushes with remembered ire and grouses, "Trying to get a couple of scaredy-cats to fight is difficult even I wasn't also fighting for my life. I couldn't spare the time to play them."

He sighs. "Anyway, it went well enough."

He asks Akula, "Anyone know if there is a list somewhere, a schedule, of the matches and their sponsors? Or is it a secret list?"

Alton is fiercely wishing to get a look at the schedule and plan his spells and tactics in advance. Not that he has many choices as a mere acolyte of Tempus, but his status will change eventually, if he survives.

jedipotter
2014-10-07, 02:00 PM
Akula Kyre "Sure, they have that kind of stuff for the big main fights. For the real shows. Not for us slaves though. We just wait around, and wait some more, and then fight when we are told. No one cares about us enough to plan anything or write much of anything down. Your scroll just says ''Maggot-slave'' and your owners name and your masters name. That is about all they care about."

Frivolous
2014-10-07, 11:41 PM
Alton rolls his eyes. "Just great," he grouses.

"How many fights did you have to go through before you went hound, anyway? And are there any perks to going hound, or does that mean the Master just gets to charge more?"

jedipotter
2014-10-07, 11:49 PM
Akula Kyre "Oh, well, hound is not really an set rank. I'm still a dog....but a lot of us females just don't like the word dog. Women and dogs have a bit of a bad association in many lands. The whole female dog thing, you know. So we say hound.

You still have the new rat stink, everyone can see it. When you get up to dog, you will know."

Frivolous
2014-10-08, 12:00 AM
Alton nods and shrugs. "Okay, then what are the perks, if any, to going dog then?"

Inwardly, he wonders if it might be better not to succeed so well. A rat may hide and crawl where a dog could not.

The thought of deliberately losing non-lethal fights, though, makes his skin crawl. He suspects it might be heresy.

jedipotter
2014-10-08, 12:11 AM
Akula Kyre "The perks are what you make of it. All part of being a dog. You just need to know how things work. I get the feeling your bating me? You got a question?"

Nearby a human female in scale mail and plain brown tabards waves and gets your attention. Then she holds up her hand and forms an image of blazing sliver sword surrounded by red for a second. Then she points down a hallway. She quickly turns and goes down the hallyway out of your sight.

Frivolous
2014-10-08, 12:15 PM
Alton grimaces in frustration. Why is he having such trouble communicating with this impossible woman, or at least female? Don't the dogs get at least better food and more regular baths?

Then he sees the strange human female do...something. He waits the span of 3 heartbeats, then casually follows after her.

jedipotter
2014-10-08, 07:17 PM
Aluendale Maendellyn "Well met Alton Maggot, I'm Aluendale Maendellyn. Battleguard of Tempus. And I'm your soul guide. How are things going?''

She looks about thirty or so and has on nice scale mail armor. Her boots, cloak and tabard are all dark brown. Her hair is light blonde and goes down to the back of her back. She has a nice sword in a scabbard at her side.

She floats about two inches off the ground, and you can see through her body at the edges, most notably her hair.

Frivolous
2014-10-08, 10:56 PM
Alton sweats from nervousness. Trying to avoid being obvious in talking to her, he mutters, "What's a soul guide?"

Then he starts when he notices she's floating.

jedipotter
2014-10-08, 11:19 PM
Aluendale Maendellyn "Sure, start with the easy question. Well, I'm here to guide your soul on the right path, towards the Warrior's Rest. And at the same time, guide myself....and work off by debt. I hope. This is my first time. If I do good...well, do great, I'll get to go down my path. Tempus Willing.

And, as you can see.....I'm a ghost. Of a sort. "

Frivolous
2014-10-09, 10:32 AM
Alton bluntly and very quietly says, "How do I know you aren't some kind of trick made to make me look bad?"

Then he shakes his head and mutters the answer to his own question. "I'm not important enough to waste magic on this."

Then he comes up with a refutation to his own solution. "How do I know you're a real thing and not a mushroom hallucination? The food in here isn't all that safe."

Alton has been surreptitiously casting Purify Food and Drink on his and that of others as often as he can, but he is not certain it actually works. All he knows is he has not gotten sick or poisoned recently.

jedipotter
2014-10-09, 11:04 AM
Aluendale Maendellyn "It is good your suspicious. That will help you in the future. But why would anyone in Thay trick you. Your a slave. First off, no one really cares about you. Except your owner and master and they see you more like an object. And second, tricking you is a waste of time. It's not like you have control over your life or anything. They can do whatever they want to you. And they can always charm, dominate or even rip your heart out and put it into a jar, if they really wanted too.

But, ok, how would you like me to prove myself? What can I say?"

Frivolous
2014-10-09, 11:18 AM
Alton thinks it over. "Okay. Tempus is the god of battle, right? If you work for him, tell me the nature and outcome of the next match."

"I don't want to use that information for anything. I just want to know if you're for real and not a funny fungus."

jedipotter
2014-10-09, 01:26 PM
Aluendale Maendellyn "Oh, broken bows. I'm not Tempus. I can't see into the future. I don't know what is going to happen. Um, you will need to pick something else." she says with a shrug.

Frivolous
2014-10-09, 01:28 PM
Alton rolls his eyes, "Yeah, okay." He thinks again.

He mutters, "If you're a ghost, can you see and describe who is walking this way from there? Before I see them, I mean." He points in one direction.

jedipotter
2014-10-09, 02:26 PM
Aluendale Maendellyn "Oh, by Tempus's Blood! I'm a ghost. You can see though me...sort of.....but I can't see through solid objects. I don't have any special ghost sight. Why would you ever think ghosts can see through walls and such?" You got anything else?"

Frivolous
2014-10-09, 02:47 PM
Alton almost smiles. He shakes his head. "Never mind, I believe you. A drug or sickness hallucination wouldn't argue with me so much. A wizard's trick -would- be able to do the things I asked for."

He slumps against the wall. "How'm I doing? Okay, I guess. Survived. One of my team got killed, but that's the breaks in this game." He says the word 'game' flatly.

He speaks ever more softly as he adds, "Trying to figure out if I should throw some non-lethal combats, just to keep from advancing. Too much skill might cause me more problems than too little. But I figure that might be heresy."

"I want to win my freedom. Whatever it takes."

"Except for, you know, denting my faith."

jedipotter
2014-10-09, 03:25 PM
Aluendale Maendellyn "Well, good that is settled.

I know all about it. I have been watching. Worse. I was here. Just like you. Some fifty years ago, I was where you are now. A slave in this very same arena. That is why I'm here. Well, that and I messed up my life and I have been given a second chance.

So, there are really only three ways out of here. The blasted Rule of three again. First, you can die. I don't recommend that one. The second you can sneak out and slip away. It's not impossible, but it sure is tricky. And then there is the third way, you can win your freedom.

That is the route I took. It is a good way to follow the faith of Tempus, after all. One bloody battle after another, until finally freedom. It's not an easy road. And you really have to play their game. And it really is a game.

You just need to pick a path. And as long as you keep Tempus by your side, you will make it."

She walks around the room as she speaks, though not touching the floor. Finally she sits down on one of the benches and plays with a couple strands of her long blonde hair.

Frivolous
2014-10-09, 03:32 PM
Alton says slowly, "You can win your freedom? I thought slaves are slaves for life in Thay.

"How does it happen? How did you do it?"

He looks incredulous, much more so than when Aluendale just appeared out of nowhere and talked to him.

jedipotter
2014-10-09, 04:03 PM
Aluendale Maendellyn "Well, not exactly. At least not all slaves. If your a slave on a plantation or down in the mines, then yes, your a slave for life with no real hope. But it's not impossible for servants, caretakers and more personal slaves to be given their freedom. It's kind of a noble thing for an important person to do, free a slave on their deathbed. And every so often a slave is good looking enough to free and marry. I went down that road too.

But the one that matters to you is the gladiator way. See, you can't really be a great gladiator as a slave. Your owner will always be in the way, taking a cut and controlling your life. You need to be free, to be a great gladiator. But a lot of gladiators are slaves. So what do they do when they have an almost great gladiator who is a slave? Well, there is a path or two to freedom. See, once you are a free gladiator you can get a patron and sponsors and even people out right willing to help. And that makes a lot of people a lot of money and riches, so they have a way to do it."

Again you get three basic ways. Convince your owner to free you. Kill your owner. And the most common, to simply buy your freedom. That was my route. You just get to the point where being a slave would have your owner make less money then if you were free. And guess what, they will free you in a snap."

Frivolous
2014-10-10, 12:19 AM
Alton nods somberly. "How...how ruthless did you have to be, to get that far? Not just in the arena, but also out of it?"

He looks away, as terrible memories crowd the forefront of his mind. Memories from when he was just a sprout, of gladiators dying in their barracks from multiple knife stabs, and everyone else with an alibi. Of gladiators brutally hacking down friends in the arena, or else dying themselves.

He softly says, "Sometimes the battles are the easy part. Straightforward, you know?"

jedipotter
2014-10-10, 12:41 AM
Aluendale Maendellyn "Well, there is no getting around looking out for number one. In a sad way, I was not ruthless enough. And that led to me dying and being here. If I was more ruthless, I'd bet would not have died and fallen and got to come back. But, no, I had the good upbringing. I kept trying to do the right thing and well...not being as ruthless as I could. And you see where that got me.

After all Thay is a bad place, one of the worst. Most people just don't understand that. People in places like Suzil think that things are bad if the price of an apple goes up to two copper coins. They just have no idea.

Life is a battle, you just got to pick your fights.

Do you think you have what it takes to be ruthless?"

She says as she leans back on the bench and lays her head against the back wall.

Frivolous
2014-10-10, 10:44 AM
Alton shrugs. "I won't know until it happens. But I think so. I grew up here, you know. I don't remember anything else. My last real friend here was Thelonius. You know, the cleric who initiated me."

He briefly considers asking Aluendale if she knows about his history, but he quickly dismisses the concern as irrelevant.
He also considers asking her how she died, but he decides not to, in a rare moment of tact.

"Can you explain again how being free might make my owner richer than if I was a slave? I don't understand how that is possible."

For that matter, I don't understand it, either. :smallsmile:

He complains, "It seems weird and wrong somehow. As if Waukeen ruled over the arena, not Tempus."

Then he remembers another, very important question. "Hey, were you a cleric, like before? That red-haired female, Akula Kyre, said I shouldn't use any blatant gifts of the god."

"Would you agree with her, that I shouldn't do obvious stuff? The god's gifts can be -very- blatant, especially as they grow in power. How do I win my freedom if I don't use 'em?"

jedipotter
2014-10-10, 02:45 PM
Aluendale Maendellyn "As a slave your not a person, your property. Like a pet, your no different then a tiger or a dog. So now your owner can put you in the arena and have you fight and bet on the outcome. And they get all of what is won. But an owner has a life, they can't really take the time to set up fights and such. And even if they wanted too, most don't have the skill to do so anyway. Promoting and managing a gladiator is a full time job.

And slaves just don't put on a good show. There is really nothing in it for them. Even if they win the fight, they are still a slave. Sure a slave will fight to stay alive, but that is about it. At best you will get an average show. Slaves just don't fight with enough spirit or zeal of life. And holding a slaves freedom as a prize is just not a good motivator. Most slaves will only fight a couple fights for the promise of freedom, then the apathy will set back in.
The only real way, to have a real great fight...is to have a real great fight. It can't be forced or faked. And a real fight needs free gladiators.

And a free gladiator can get a patron, someone they agree to work together with to organize fights and make bets and that sort of thing. Sponsors are big too. A swordsmith might give you a sword, so he can say he made the sword the great gladiator used in a fight. There is lots of money to be made there.

And on top of all that, only a free person can really add that drama of life. For slaves there is no drama. And people really eat that sort of stuff up. In my day, there were two brothers, Covit and Sarnlon, both gladiators and both refused to fight each other. Until one day when they both fell for the same woman, and decided to settle it in the ring. Want to guess how many open seats there were in the arena that day?

Hope that all makes sense.

Aluendale Maendellyn "I was born into a warrior family. I became a battleskirt, oh I hated that name, as soon as I could walk.

And yes, you should avoid any displays of power. First off, you don't really want to let foes know your abilities or powers. It is two easy to counter them. If they know you can heal, they can just hit you with a gray curse and block it, for example.

But the bigger issue is that it ruins the show. People don't really come to an arena to see fireballs and lighting bolts, they see enough of that in real life, they want to see good old fashioned blood and guts. And you got to give the people what they pay for, after all.

And most of all this is Thay. There is not a person here that has not felt the wraith of a Red Wizard or two. A Red Wizard might blow up a shop just as she did not feel like waiting in line. So, all public displays of magic, not cast by a Red Wizard is discouraged at best.

But you need not worry, Tempus unlike some other gods, has plenty of non-flashy spells"

Frivolous
2014-10-10, 03:05 PM
Alton nods. "Yeah, I understand now."

And so do I. :smallsmile:

He nods to the rest of Aluendale's explanation. "I guess that makes sense."

Then he wearily goes on to the next part, which he does not particularly like but stoically goes through anyway.

"It's been nice talking to you. I'm grateful. Is this the last time you talk to me?"

jedipotter
2014-10-10, 03:41 PM
Aluendale Maendellyn takes off the leather gloves she was not wearing a couple of moments ago and tosses them on the ground. "Sure would be nice. Come down, chat for a bit and all is forgiven. Then I can head back up to the Endless BattleField, have a strong drink and get in a fight. Only if it was so easy. But no ''one battle does not make a war''. I'm stuck with you, or your stuck with me. At least until you fail. Or I fail. Or we both succeed. "

Frivolous
2014-10-10, 03:49 PM
Alton frowns. "Don't you have, like, rounds to make? I can't be your only client."

He thinks about it some more, then shakes his head. "I never get personal treatment. Never. Even when I'm getting strangled, they're doing other stuff at the same time."

jedipotter
2014-10-10, 04:58 PM
Aluendale Maendellyn "Client? I like that word. Sounds like something a scribe back in Suzil would say.

She quickly stands up straight, floats up about a foot, and looks down at you. "All right. Enough with that sort of talk. You are a battleguard of Tempus . You have heard the word of Tempus and let him into your heart and have been filled with the divine power of Tempus. Your not a nobody. Not any more....not from that day forward. Your a solider of Tempus, and in his Divine Army, everyone is important. So no more of that type of talk. Understand?"

She floats back down to ground level

"Now, look...I do understand where your coming from. It is why I'm here after all. And i know you have had a bad life so far. I mean being born and growing up in the slave pits of Thay is pretty close to the bottom of the list. But it is so important that you not let that take over your life. Just look at me. I was born in Cormyr. I had a great family and childhood. Mostly. And where did I end up. Right here in the Scarlet Pit. I was a slave and tossed into the arena to fight. Just like you.

And let me tell you, as far as owners go...you got very lucky. You got the absent, distant owner. You could have gotten one like mine. Zerriksa Vilmandril. She was an old crone, a real battleaxe too. She hated all the young women in the world with their beauty. So what did she do? She bought every female slave she could and tossed them into the arena to die. And from each one, she cut a a lock of hair. And then using some foul necromancy magic she bound a little bit of each woman's soul to the hair. When the lock of hair was stroked downward, the sound of that woman's laughter was heard, and when stroked upwards, the sound of that woman' screams of pain were heard. That is the owner I had... she looks down as she says this....

Frivolous
2014-10-11, 12:25 AM
Alton nods soberly to Aluendale's "pep talk". He widens his eyes at her description of her owner.

"Yeah, that's pretty bad." He says it in a matter of fact manner, and with only a little sympathy. He has heard of as bad or worse in his time, and his upbringing has not done much for his sense of empathy. And even if he could, it would do no good for a woman 50 years dead.

"I'll go, you know, rest and eat now. And I gotta remember to pray for Magic Weapon instead of Enlarge Person. Good thing I never actually used it yet."

Without saying farewell or goodbye, or any of the other things people normally say when they take leave, Alton goes to get clean of all the yucky monster blood on him.

On the way, he idly wonders whether Zerriksa Vilmandril is still alive. A normal woman would not, but a Red Wizard? A worrisome thought.

jedipotter
2014-10-11, 01:40 AM
There is a single, large common slave bath room. One large pool, about five feet deep fills the center of the room. And six small pools, three on each side take up the rest of the room. A large stone pipe brings in mostly clean water on the north wall of the room, and another stone pipe takes out the dirty water on the south side of the room. Water aniamentals of slugs and eels move the water round.

There are about two dozen, mostly naked, people in the room washing and hanging out. There are some small wooden tables with bars of rough soap.

The bath room is quite a quiet place, with little sound other then the moving water. Following the normal custom of a quiet bath.

Frivolous
2014-10-11, 01:44 AM
Alton bathes. Nudity does not bother him. Gladiators do not have much privacy.

On the other hand, being almost defenseless does bother him, so he bathes as quickly as possible, not taking his time as he would like to.

Is it permitted/accepted/customary for a gladiator to bring a weapon into the bath, or is it forbidden/taboo/surprising?

jedipotter
2014-10-11, 02:07 AM
Weapons in baths is a big taboo for free people. Though, like with most social norms, gladiators let this one slip a bit. Almost every slave gladiator only has what they carry, and there is no place to put anything down. So most have no choice but to bring everything they have, weapons and all, with them to the bath. Everyone just piles up their clothing and items along the walls.

It is very rare for anything like a fight or assault to happen in the bath room.

The small chamber next to the bath has two huge statues of frogs made out of stone, with their mouths wide open. The frog mouths produce a magical cleaning effect on any item placed in their mouth.

Frivolous
2014-10-11, 11:48 AM
Alton puts his scale mail armor into the mouth of one cleaning frog and his clothes and weapons and other gear into the mouth of the other.

While his gear is cleaned, he rinses and lathers up and begins cleaning himself. Luckily he has no blood of his own to remove. Wounds always sting so much when he bathes.

Alton looks at the other bathers with a slightly cynical eye, wondering if Aluendale's fatal mistake involved a bath. He doubts it, but it still would not pay to be too relaxed.

jedipotter
2014-10-11, 02:08 PM
No one in the bath room gives any indication of noticing you overly much. Everyone you can see is bathing. It would seem the bath neutrality will hold for now, at least one more day.

As far as you can tell, everyone is well and uninjured....except for one hairy human male over by the wall. He leans against the wall, splashing bits of water on himself with his free hand. He has at least three good cuts across his chest, and seems to be bleeding a bit.

Frivolous
2014-10-11, 11:44 PM
Alton makes a note to approach the really hairy human male and offer to treat his wounds with his mundane Healing training.

After the bath, of course.

jedipotter
2014-10-12, 12:06 AM
About an hour later, you find the human male slumped against a wall in his own little spot. The bleeding looks to have mostly stopped, but he is still wounded.

He puts his hand on his sword and asks "Why would you help me?''

Frivolous
2014-10-12, 12:33 AM
Alton says flatly, "I'm not sure yet. Would you tell me how you got the scratches?"

Other people's wounds don't bother him very much, but he feels compelled to heal those wounded in actual battle.

jedipotter
2014-10-12, 01:50 PM
Wounded Man "In the arena....fighting white apes. Four of us went in, only I came out. But I took a couple good hits. If I fight again soon....well that is death, right?"

Frivolous
2014-10-12, 02:09 PM
Alton blinks. "White...apes? I'd never heard of such things. I really should watch the other fights more."

But of course, even someone as stoic as Alton, a boy who grew up in the arena, is not so jaded that he would eagerly watch men he knows get mutilated or killed. Tends to weaken the natural curiosity.

"Tell you what - I can help you recover more quickly than usual over the next few days. Just ordinary medical treatment I learned."

"If you agree, I help you out this time, and you help me out some other time. That fine with you?"

Alton is offering to provide long-term care, as per the Heal skill. And since he has +5 bonus on that skill, he can take 10 to achieve the DC of 15, yes?

jedipotter
2014-10-12, 04:12 PM
Brugg "I am known as Brugg. I will take your deal and your help. You can have my aid later. "

The Arena is mostly quiet, for the next couple of hours. At about six the fights start back up again. Slaves are sent into the arena to fight animals, monsters and each other. Not every fight is a red fight to the death, but there is still plenty of death in the arena. Your free to watch the fights through the metal bars that ring the arena at ground level. Though it is nothing you have not seen hundreds of time.

At about eight, the main fights go on. Maldrick Scarmaker a massive gnoll free gladiator wins his fight and slays Gharash Vren a half orc slave gladiator. Karavakos a slave tiefling kills the human Stall. And Salvana Wrafton a human female slave gladiator, refuses to kill the human slave Rond Kelfem, but Stockmer Redhorn a minotaur guard kills Rond anyway.

That is how it works.

Frivolous
2014-10-12, 04:31 PM
Alton decides that true ruthlessness and devotion to Tempus mean watching every match he can, when he is not resting or training or eating or whatever. As Thelonius taught him, knowledge is half the battle.

He softly talks to himself, watching the gladiatorial matches, repeating to himself the various tricks and habits each (surviving) gladiator seems to display. His memory appears to be primarily auditory, so he learns and exercises recall better that way, by talking to himself.

At a single random gladiatorial match during the day, Alton casts Detect Magic and tries to perceive any magic use among the ones fighting in the arena.

Only prepares 1 casting of Detect Magic, so it has to be only once a day. And of course range matters, as Detect Magic only goes to 60 feet.

The arena has minotaurs? :smalleek:

And of course he takes care of Brugg, changing bandages and making sure the big hairy guy gets the proper rest and nutrition he needs to recuperate quickly.

jedipotter
2014-10-12, 09:29 PM
Maldrick Scarmaker items, his armor, battle axe, boots, amulet and helm all glow under your detect magic. Gharash Vren's armor, axe and amulet glow too. Neither cast any spells that you can detect in the fight.

There are no minotaur gladiators, at least that you have seen, but there are a couple guards.

Aluendale Maendellyn: A guard is one of the lowest types of work in Thay. Except for body guards, some private guards and government guards, most guards are looked down on in society. And that is why you will find few human guards. Guards in Thay are very often other races, with goblins, orcs, gnolls or minotaurs, being the most common. As other races, they don't care much about the human society of Thay. And non-humans do have that intimidation factor. Few of any race bother a minotaur.

The Scarlett Pit has plenty of human guards, but guarding slaves is very low work. Even most orcs and gnolls will refuse to be a slave guard. But some times, for a lot of humans, they have no choice. Minotaurs, by defination, love arenas, so they can be found in any arena.

Frivolous
2014-10-13, 10:43 AM
Alton's eyes bug out as he perceives the huge number of magical items on the gnoll Maldrick Scarmaker. It makes him shake his head in dismay, seeing how very outclassed the half-orc Gharash Vren was.

He tries to decipher out the enchantments on at least some of the items. It is a pity that Thelonius could teach him so little about Spellcraft.

No action is required for these, so Alton might as well try to figure out the school of magic for all of them:

Maldrick's boots: Spellcraft: [roll0]
Maldrick's amulet: Spellcraft: [roll1]
Maldrick's armor: Spellcraft: [roll2]
Maldrick's battleaxe: Spellcraft: [roll3]
Maldrick's helm: Spellcraft: [roll4]

Gharash's axe: Spellcraft: [roll5]
Gharash's amulet: Spellcraft: [roll6]
Gharash's armor: Spellcraft: [roll7]

After the one-sided battle is very bloodily over, Alton leans against a wall and tries to see what happens to the body and especially belongings of defeated Gharash.

I asked before what happens to the store credit of a dead gladiator slave.

But I guess this is a different question: What happens to the gladiator's personal gear?

jedipotter
2014-10-13, 03:46 PM
Maldrick's helm:Abjuration
Gharash's axe: Transmutation
Gharash's armor: Abjuration

The rest you could not tell

Free gladiators get the loot of another free gladiator.
Slaves don't own what they have, so their items will go to their owner.

If a slave kills a free man, the owner gets the loot(they they can give it to the slave if they feel like it)
A freeman that kills a slave gets nothing. (and yet another reason why a lot of free gladiators don't like wasting time killing slaves)

After the fight two large female gnolls, both in bright yellow dresses, run out into the arena. Maldrick Scarmaker gives each gnoll female a long, slow lick across their face...as the crowd cheers. Then the two female strip Gharash Vren body. A dozen guards come out during this time with three arena workers. The older human in brown robes points a rod at Maldrick and says "You know the rules!'' The other two workers gather up Gharash's items.

Frivolous
2014-10-13, 03:55 PM
Alton claps. He even smiles a little as Maldrick greets and licks his two females.

He continues to watch, wondering if the workers know that the amulet is magical. He is too far to see the trinket clearly, and he is not quite sure if it looks valuable or if it just looks like a cheap luck charm or costume jewelry.

jedipotter
2014-10-13, 10:54 PM
Maldrick Scarmaker lets out a low growl, looks at the rod, and then shrugs. He takes his two females and turns away. The workers clear away the items and the dead body.

The crowd just cheers and claps more at the display.

Aluendale Maendellyn: Every single individual Red Wizard rules the country. Now no one really knows how many Red Wizards there are: at least a couple hundred per school and maybe a couple thousand total. Maybe the Red Wizards themselves know. Now, this does not mean that the country has thousands of rulers, far from it.

There is an inner circle of eight zulkirs, one for each school of magic. They act as the over all rulers of everything. Each promotes the well being of their school, Thay and themselves. Though the order depends on each individual zulkir.

Now each Red Wizard is loyal to their school and the zulkir. More or less, but not always. And the Red Wizards have a whole biased on wizard politics and other social things. Mostly a lot of deals and trade and backstabbing and all types of social and political wrangling among themselves.

The day to day government is run by the Tharchions who each rule a single Tharch, or region of Thay.

Now, first off, about a third of the Red Wizards just don't care too much about anything except themselves. So they stay out of the way of politics, government or anything else.

The next third, more or less, just live and work in the system. More or less. They are free to do as they wish, they rule the country after all, but most, at least vaguely follow the set laws of Thay. Though they don't need too. Depending on who they are, what they are doing and who it effects all play a part in how much they can get away with, before someone takes notice. So they do walk a line.

The final third make up the Red Wizards that work under each Zulkir as a ''hands off' part of the government. They do what they feel like, if it has some value to them, the zulkir they serve or Thay in general. Mostly they just influence from the side or take small cuts.

Frivolous
2014-10-14, 12:44 AM
Alton shakes his head ruefully and goes back to his regular routines. He continues to watch and listen for opportunities to better or advance himself, or to win favors by healing injured gladiators.

If and when the next day comes, I will change Alton's spell list. Change Enlarge Person to Magic Weapon, at least.

jedipotter
2014-10-14, 01:39 AM
After the last fight, the arena gets dark and quiet. Most of the other injury are minor, and plenty of people in the arena know about basic healing.

Night comes, and all the slave gladiators just find a spot to lay down and sleep.

Good Idea...

Frivolous
2014-10-14, 11:14 AM
Alton wears a tunic and a dagger to sleep, and of course his holy symbol.

As usual, he drinks a lot of water so he'll be motivated to wake up before dawn and pray for spells.

jedipotter
2014-10-14, 09:48 PM
Night passes. No one, it seems, has any reason to bother you overnight. You wake up bright and early.

Not many around you are up, most still sleep. Spiraled out on the floor or against a wall if they found one. Many sleep in a ball and try to hide what little items they do have.

Frivolous
2014-10-15, 12:13 AM
Alton gets up and goes to pee. Once the reason he woke up so early is done with, he prays for spells, kneeling.

Alton is going for:

Orisons: Detect Magic x2, Purify Food and Drink
1st level: Cause Fear, Command, Magic Weapon

jedipotter
2014-10-15, 12:41 AM
The morning passes slowly. Gladiators mostly just sit around, work out or have mock fights.

Brugg comes and finds you after an hour or so for some first aid.

Aluendale Maendellyn, wearing just a brown one piece tunic and platform shoes walks past, gives a little wave, and sits down on a nearby bench.

Frivolous
2014-10-15, 12:53 AM
Alton nods subtly to Aluendale and broods over whether he dares to use Detect Magic on the other slaves as they sleep.

He treats Brugg and asks, "How'd you get wounded this time?"

Where do gladiators keep their gear and items, especially the heavier stuff?

jedipotter
2014-10-15, 01:12 AM
Brugg "It's the same wound, it's just itching, that is all."

Remember it has only been a day. Your giving ''long term care'', things like cleaning and changing bandages.

Most gladiators have to keep all their stuff on them. Though most don't have much more then they can carry. Most have little of real value, things like belt pouches, sacks, waterskins, and clothing.

Most don't have heavy stuff, almost no one has large weapons or shields. they are just too much trouble to carry around.

Frivolous
2014-10-15, 12:13 PM
Alton finishes the treatment and claps Brugg on the shoulder. He puts on his armor and weapons and the rest of his gear and saunters around the area accessible to him, looking and listening for any interesting information or gossip.

If he sees and hears nothing, he practices his battle arts.

Ah, thanks for the info. I guess Alton uses his scale mail as a pillow, then. :smallsmile:

jedipotter
2014-10-15, 01:49 PM
When your character is fishing and looking for something interesting, it is always best to narrow the search down as much as possible. I could describe 20 things that are happening, but if only one is interesting, then typing the other 19 was a huge waste of time.

The slave gladiators sit or stand around in random places. Few really speak much to each other. It is clear that almost no one has any spirit, or will to live. Many just look out the bars to the arena floor, no doubt wondering when they will be sent out there to die.

Only about half the slave gladiators look like warriors. The rest just look like common people. They have slight builds, little muscles and don't know much about weapons or armor. It's easy to spot people with armor on wrong, not buckled or strapped. Just like it is easy to spot people that don't know how to hold a weapon.

There are a couple of guards and workers around, but they are not talking much either.

Frivolous
2014-10-15, 11:45 PM
Alton loses interest in trawling for gossip that day. Instead, he goes to the nearest slave wearing his armor wrong and quietly says, "You've got that put on wrong. Want me to show you how to put it on right?"

Until something or someone interrupts, or until it is mealtime, he tries to discreetly instruct the gladiators on how to put their armor on right or hold their weapons properly.

However, if anyone does not show interest in learning, he just as quietly leaves them to their fates.

Understood. I'll keep that in mind.

Anyway, Alton is on a proselytizing kick today.

jedipotter
2014-10-16, 02:56 PM
Almost everyone is glad to have the help. They have no problem letting Alton show them the right way to wear armor. Most have the same story: they were a sailor or passenger on a ship that was attacked by pirates. The ship was seized and they were sold into slavery, eventually winding up in Thay.

A few just scream ''leave me alone!''

Mid morning the gate lock is thrown open and a couple dozen new slaves come in through the locked area. A couple workers and guards show them around and get them armed and armored.

At about noon the fights start up. Lots of boring green matches with lots of new gladiators. they fight and fall down and fight and fall down.

Frivolous
2014-10-16, 02:59 PM
Alton chooses not to watch green matches. He finds them disgusting and puerile.

Instead, he approaches the tiefling Karavakos, whom he watched fight the other day. "Hey. I want to talk to you."

No one ever taught him diplomacy, and he is used to speaking bluntly.

jedipotter
2014-10-16, 03:27 PM
Karavakos looks you up and down carefully and runs his slim fingers through his greasy black hair "Go ahead and speak, I'm not doing anything. What is it that you want. The two small horns at the top of his head shine in the sunlight and he smiles showing off two sets of sharp teeth. He is wearing leather armor, thick boots and gloves. The only weapon you can see is the short sword at his side.

Frivolous
2014-10-16, 03:40 PM
Alton says, "This is probably going to sound stupid of me, but.... What are you?"

He quickly explains, "You're just a slave like me, and I don't expect you to tell me anything that might help me if things go Scarlet between us."

"I'm just, you know, curious."

jedipotter
2014-10-16, 04:19 PM
Karavakos"I don't mind. I'm part feind, a Baatezu from Baator. It goes back a couple years to my great grandmother. She was human, a slave here in Thay. She was given to a baatezu cornugon named Harukaumari. He had his way with her, and they had several children. And all the children had some of that feind in them. And it has been passed down in my family from that day on ward. It is where I get my teeth and claws from.

I was born here, in Thay, on a slave farm. I was raised by my parents for my first decade. And then I was taken from them, moved around a bit....and was finally dropped here.

And now I'm talking to you....

Frivolous
2014-10-16, 10:41 PM
Alton wrinkles his nose a little and says, "Tough, being abandoned."

"Tell me about baatezu from Baator. Please," he belatedly adds.

He seems genuinely interested, but is more interested in learning about monsters than about any one gladiator's sob story.

jedipotter
2014-10-17, 03:30 PM
Karavakos "Well, I was not exactly abandoned. We were forced apart. As far as i know, my parents are still alive out there somewhere....

Baatezu are a strong, evil-tempered, well-organized race of fiends. In their rigid caste system, authority derives not only from power but from station. Changes in station come from participation in the Blood War or (as is more often the case) from the high attrition rate in the upper ranks. If a baatezu performs a great feat that cripples the enemy, it is rewarded by promotion – actually a physical transformation – to a higher station.

The baatezu pursue two obsessive goals. First and foremost, they wish to destroy their ancient blood enemies, the tanar’ri. Both races treat the conflict not only as a war of annihilation, but as a definition of existence.

Second, the baatezu infiltrating humankind’s world and gaining followers there, the baatezu gain magical energy and, thus, power over the tanar’ri. Toward this end they strive to dominate humanity by convincing victims they have godlike powers."

Frivolous
2014-10-17, 03:49 PM
Alton listens carefully to the tiefling, absorbing lore that he knows will be useful to him. He nods thoughtfully. "Thanks."

He hesitates very slightly, trying to think of something more to say or ask, but it is his habit not to get too close to any other gladiator. He nods to Karavakos, "See ya."

He stalks away from the tiefling, going back to the arena to see whether his owner, Gormella Meravanchi, is in the audience.

Trying to help justify a rank or more in Knowledge (Planes), if and when Alton levels. :smallsmile:

Speaking of which, may I ask how much XP he has?

Also, would Alton know who the other gladiator-slaves belonging to Gormella are?

jedipotter
2014-10-17, 11:10 PM
Karavakos "Not a problem. I'm happy to chat a bit."

You don't see your owner Gormella Meravanchi anywhere in the stands. Though that is normal, as you know she does not come here much. She only shows up once in a while, often for more social events.

Always a good idea to both role-play skills and use skills.

XP 541

There is really no way to know who owns who, other then asking each slave...assuming they know. They keep good records, but most don't get to see them.

You know three others: Drut, Horceal and Lomboed all fighters in the arena.

Frivolous
2014-10-18, 02:03 AM
Alton ponders whether he should go talk to Drut, Horceal, and Lomboed about ways to finesse Gormella and get her to favor him so she gives him better gear.

But then he figures they don't know her any better than he does. Upon realizing that, a sudden wave of hopelessness and rage washes over him, and it makes him vibrate with energy so much that he goes to the training yard and works at bashing and hacking at practice dummies for over an hour.

Am I right in guessing that it is unlikely for two gladiators belonging to the same owner to fight each other in a Red match?

I mean, one has to lose, which means the owner is out a gladiator with no profit, right?

jedipotter
2014-10-18, 02:31 PM
Gormella Meravanchi is not an active owner, you have only met her a couple times. She only has gladiator slaves to make a bit of side money, but most of all, as ''everyone'' else in her social circle has them, she must have them too.

In the normal day-to-day fights gladiators owned by the same person will never fight.

But it is not unheard off. After all if an owner wants to kill off some of their slave property they are free to do so. Some owners like to break up friendships among their slaves, for example.

Though the most common way is if an owner buys a slave for a good fight or if another owner is not willing to let their slave fight.

Frivolous
2014-10-18, 02:38 PM
After exercising, Alton broods some more. Then he walks among the other gladiators and asks, "Do any of us ever get to go out of the arena, like on errands? I've never been out of here; it might be fun to see the city."

He also quietly asks Aluendale, "Did they ever put undead in the arena? I'm a bit worried, because the obvious and ideal tactical response to them is to turn them. But that'll give me away as a cleric."

Otherwise, he seems restless, unable to sit still even though the training tires him, eager for a fight to improve his skills and to win more glory for Tempus.

jedipotter
2014-10-18, 03:44 PM
Random slave gladiator "there is no way out of here other then death."

Aluendale Maendellyn "Oh, sure they can toss some undead in from time to time. But it is avoided as undead just don't put on a good show. They don't scream or yelp or limp or bleed....or die. And that is what people come here to see.

Leaving the arena is up to your owner. Most just pay the storage to keep you here. Some owners take their slave gladiators home every night. Free gladiators can come and go as they wish.

It is one of the more darker sides of slavery: the twisted trust. Your owner might send you to do something, but only if they trusted you not to escape. And lots of slaves fall into that trap.

If you want to get out of the arena, you could always escape. I did it four times, five if you count the time I bought my freedom.

Frivolous
2014-10-19, 12:13 AM
Alton nods grimly. Or maybe he is just sulking over not being one of the gladiators who gets to go on errands.

As he is still too skittish and awake, he begins jogging laps in full armor, hoping to exhaust his body so that his mind grows dull and lets him calm down.

If he can, he does this until the sun sets. Or until he collapses and throws up, whichever comes first.

jedipotter
2014-10-19, 12:56 AM
The afternoon fights are quite boring. All green fights. Mostly the new gladiators.

Then the arena is mostly quiet....until late in the afternoon. When a human male yells "Now!'' and you watch as about twenty slave gladiators attack every guard you can see. They attack brutality and with surprise. And as they gang up, it only takes seconds for a dozen guards to die, plus you watch five unarmed arena workers be killed.

They move over to one of the big iron gates by the barred doors. Two halflings of the group try and pick the lock....but only seconds later the gate erupts with fire that does not harm gates, but burns both halflings to piles of chared flesh.

The slave gladiatoes then start pounding on the gates trying to break them.....

Frivolous
2014-10-19, 10:40 AM
Without moving, Alton quietly says, "Aluendale, look, it's a concerted escape attempt."

He pauses a moment to think, then says with a slight hint of sadness, "It won't work, will it? They're all gonna die."

He looks to see if he recognizes any of the slave gladiators who are trying to escape and are still alive, especially Brugg and Lo-Kag. He also looks to see if any casters, especially Red Wizards, are present.

Alton Maggot (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=1021611)
Condition None

jedipotter
2014-10-19, 02:26 PM
Aluendale Maendellyn "Of course, they don't really even have a chance. There are dozens of hallways, twist and turns between the slave holding area and one of the two outer doors. And every couple of feet is a gate, bars or a door. Almost all of them trapped. To walk from the outside to the holding area takes at least an hour, and that is with all the keys and pass tokens."

Alton sees Burg with a small crowd watching the event. Lo-Kag is not within your sight. There are no Red Wizards around(they almost never come down in the slave holding area).

Within a minute the group smashes through the gate with brute force. Two big hairy humans with big hammers charge at the wooden doors. As soon as the hammers hit the doors, flames shoot out of the wood, burning both humans to chared corpses.

A Tiefling in black leather steps forward and casts a spell on the doors, the air shimmers a bit but nothing happens. He does point at the doors and wave. Six slaves smash through the doors quickly.

And as soon as they do, seven blood red gargoyles leap into the area. They quickly start cutting a bloody path through the slaves.

Aluendale Maendellyn "And the guardgoyles. They sit all around the Scarlet Pit, the whole city, really. And they look like they have not gotten any fresh blood lately."

Frivolous
2014-10-19, 02:32 PM
Alton's expression is an odd combination of admiring and troubled as he watches the slaughter. "Nice."

He shakes his head. "Poor fools. They should have tried to disperse and play innocent once the halflings burned up."

He glances sideways at Aluendale. "So it's really hard to get to visit the city outside unless your owner is the kind who takes her slaves home, but did you ever try to have contraband smuggled into here?"

"Useful battle contraband, I mean, not the entertainment kind. I don't need drugs or anything like that messing up my focus."

jedipotter
2014-10-19, 02:55 PM
Aluendale Maendellyn "Of course. Lots of people do it. The guards and workers are not so well paid that they won't accept a side job. Lots of guards make a good living bringing stuff in. "

It only takes about a minute for there to be a pile of dead slave gladiators, and four dead gargoyles. The tiefling in black leather kills two gargoyle with a bolt of lightning......but as soon as he does the stone pillar next to him flows into a mass of grayish matter like a lump of clay...with a huge mouth filled with long teeth. The tiefling is taken quite by surprise as he is chewed to pieces while twice falling to cast some sort of spell. The blob-like creature slowly and carefully licks up each body part with a large tongue.

Aluendale Maendellyn nods "Mimics. They can be anywhere, anything. And they are trained to kill spellcasters."

The last blood red gargolye leaps at a group of slave gladiators who were just watching the event and not part of it. It kills a halfling with it's first strike, but a large half-orc with a large axe takes it;s head off with one swing.

Then everything is quiet....

Frivolous
2014-10-19, 03:01 PM
Alton continues to watch the fight. He blinks as the tiefling unleashes lightning and shakes his head that the tiefling chose to waste his potential in a futile escape.

Without turning his head, he asks Aluendale, "How intelligent are the guardgoyles and the mimics?"

"I mean, would they notice or object to a bit of scavenging?"

He squints at the half-orc with the axe as he casts one of his 2 prepared Detect Magic orisons. "Stout fellow."

Cast Detect Magic. Scan the dead bodies.

Alton Maggot (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=1021611)
Condition None

jedipotter
2014-10-19, 05:23 PM
On the dead bodies only a single armband, a pair of boots, a club and a set of leather armor glow. A couple items on the slave gladiators around glow as well, the big half orc with the axe's belt, for example.

Aluendale Maendellyn "The mimic is as smart as a human, and the guardgoyles are about orc smart. The mimic has no concept of things like we do though, it's alien. It's just here to eat spellcasters. There are of course lots of others watching.

Udokas Bigaxe, he is a good fighter, if a little dumb."

Without at cue, but at the same time, the crowd of slave gladiators moves forward and starts to strip everything off the dead bodies.

Aluendale Maendellyn "Oh, look....."

Frivolous
2014-10-19, 11:58 PM
Alton mutters, "Yeah, I guess I'm not the only one with that idea."

He drops his Detect Magic spell and goes straight for the magic items, going first for the boots, then the club, then the single armband.

After that, he starts to search the dead bodies for coin and jewelry.

He continues to mutter to himself as he works in order to help obscure the fact that his imaginary friend is not so imaginary. "Ooh, my precious, come to papa. How very lovely you are."

Drop Detect Magic spell as a free action, just in case the mimic can see active spells. If possible, grab magic boots first, then magic club, then magic armband. Then look for coins and jewels.

Ignore leather armor, as it is too difficult to remove from a dead body.

jedipotter
2014-10-20, 12:30 AM
The obvious valuable items are the first to be grabbed, so the jewelry and belt pouches go first. And the weapons go next. Then things like clothing.

So you don't have any problem grabbing the boots while the others go for jewelry and money. And they grab the other weapons like swords and daggers before they grab things like clubs, so you can grab that too. Most kinda back away after that, not bothering taking clothing. So you have little problem getting the armband too. There does not seem to be any jewelry or money left.

The mimic just sits there, like a big lump of clay. It does not seem to be doing anything.

Frivolous
2014-10-20, 12:35 AM
Alton walks (does not run) away from the bloody battle at the innermost gates and goes to the baths, where he sticks his newfound magic items in the magic cleaning frogs.

As he waits for the gear to be cleaned, he mutters to Aluendale, "Not many casters here, then. I've wondered who others in here are hiding their powers."

"What do you think are the chances their owners will know what magic items they possessed and try to claim them? I've scavenged from bodies before, but nothing too valuable. Clothes and boots, mostly."

jedipotter
2014-10-20, 01:06 AM
Aluendale Maendellyn "Well, you won't find any arcane casters here. They get all sorts of other horrible fates at the hands of the Red Wizards. They are not so vigilant with divine casters. And a lot of Red Wizards are very religious, though only about their chosen faith. So you know, mostly evil ones.

Hard to say, some owners are really nitpicky and some don't care too much. Of course a lot of owners lost a lot today, like twenty dead slaves. That is a lot of lost property."

It only takes a minute for all three items to be cleaned.

Frivolous
2014-10-20, 11:24 AM
Alton stares down at the now clean magic items, wondering what enchantments they bear. Thelonius had taught him only a little about magic, but one of the things was that some magic items were cursed.

Without looking up, he says to Aluendale, "I don't suppose you can tell me what these do, can you? If not, I'm going to have to test them on some poor schlub."

jedipotter
2014-10-20, 04:08 PM
Aluendale Maendellyn "I can't do anything to identify a magic item. But there is a way. Just pay a goblin to do it. The ones that work the arena store. Unless you can find another spellcaster, and they have the spell or skill to do it. And they will likely want something."

Frivolous
2014-10-20, 04:15 PM
Alton is as aghast as he ever gets. "Goblins? The goblins are can identify 'em?"

"What is their status anyway? Are they free? Won't they just take whatever they want from me? After all, I'm just a slave."

jedipotter
2014-10-20, 09:24 PM
Aluendale Maendellyn "The goblins are free. Goblins make for poor slaves, and even worse gladiators. You can't really get a goblin to do things by fear, but it needs to be continuous fear or the goblins will forget why they are afraid. But goblins don't want every much, so it is very easy to give them that and they will enslave themselves. So as free people, they make perfect slaves. And no one cares much about goblins. And they do a good job, they run the store and keep all the gladiators with weapons and equipment.

And most of the goblins are spellcasters, either wizards or clerics of Nargtakil, the goblin god of magic. The goblins are one of the few free arcane spellcasters that the Red Wizards don't control.

And, yea, you can't trust a goblin. But if you give them what they want, they will mostly keep their word. "

Frivolous
2014-10-21, 12:39 AM
Alton chews absently on his lower lip, thinking. He then shakes his head.

"No. I can't trust them. It would be too easy for the gobs to betray me. Even if they returned my new gear, they could sell the information about me to anyone who asked and paid their price."

"I'll figure something out. It will probably involve making some poor schlub use these things while I hurt him, but those are the breaks."

Alton goes out of the bathroom and furtively looks to see what the arena staff and especially Master Barristol do in response and perhaps retribution for the escape attempt and all the deaths. He worries there might be some kind of nasty punishment to all the living slaves.

jedipotter
2014-10-21, 12:51 AM
The site of the uprising is full of activity. Lots of slave gladiators are standing around watching. There are guards and arena workers around, quite a lot of them. Arena workers are going over each body and making marks on scrolls. Then others wrap them in large cloth bags, and finally some big orcs half drag and half carry them away.

It is quite a sad display, as they stack up the dead bodies in the next lock area over.

Frivolous
2014-10-21, 11:15 AM
Alton looks impatient and tense. He waits a bit more for someone in charge, like Barristol, to come in screaming about the damage to his arena and servants and slaves.

He mutters, "Why is everyone so calm, Aluendale? I woulda thought there'd be a bigger fuss made of it."

jedipotter
2014-10-21, 11:06 PM
Aluendale Maendellyn "Well, what do you expect? As far as anyone cares, all that happens is some property was lost and damaged. There really was no chance they were going to escape. And it's not like anyone cares about the dead guards or workers. This is a high risk job and a very low class job. About the only ones that will care are all the slave owners that lost property. Some of them might try and make a big deal about the way the arena is run, try to take legal action to get back lost money, maybe even stab someone in the dark with a dagger. But here, no one cares what happens here"

Frivolous
2014-10-22, 11:08 AM
Alton nods without looking at Aluendale. Since no one seems to be interested in training, he starts to walk around the watching slaves and guards.

He also throws out a comment, hoping someone talkative will respond. "Wonder why they did it. Especially the guy who threw lightning. He was powerful. He coulda won lots of matches easy."

Alton yawns. He wonders if he should just take the unusual opportunity to sleep in the daytime in the barracks.

jedipotter
2014-10-22, 02:53 PM
Lurgh Bigboots half orc in scale mail with an axe and...big boots "What you no want to be free? Everyone should want freedom. I was free once, and I will be free again. I will die free, and not a slave."

Vira Slimstrike a human female in black leather armor "He was a fool to use his magic so openly. And he payed the price. Power without wisdom is quite sad. Too bad the mimic got him, I would have liked to grab his magic fire proof ring."

Astar Stormsword a human male in plate mail and a shield and sword "And some of us do not like fighting against our wills, let alone fighting for the entertaiment of others. My sword arm strikes for truth and justice, not for the applause of the arena."

With all the dead bodies cleared away, things return to normal....

Frivolous
2014-10-22, 03:27 PM
Alton says to Vira, shaking his head, "Fire-proof ring? That would have been worth risking one's life for, yes. An elf got roasted just yesterday by a fire-breathing beast made by a Red Wizard. The three of us remaining were very lucky to kill it."

He waits for a time when he can talk to Astar Stormsword in relative privacy. While he waits, he mutters to Aluendale, "Can you tell which god someone worships?"

jedipotter
2014-10-22, 06:57 PM
Aluendale Maendellyn "If your asking if I have some special ability to detect what god people follow, then the answer is no. I have to use what I know about other faiths and religions. That is why as clerics we study other faiths too. And a lot of faithful give away their faith just by what they say. Most faithful display the holy symbol of their faith, except in places like this, so that won't help here. It just draws too much attention. "

About a half hour later you spot Astar Stormsword sitting by himself over on a bench, just looking at the wall.

Frivolous
2014-10-23, 09:42 AM
Alton murmurs to Aluendale, "Too bad. Because I suspect that guy is a paladin."

At the appropriate time to talk to Astar in private, Alton approaches him slowly, his hands well away from his weapons and a neutral expression on his face.

"Truth and justice?" he says. He tries to keep calm, in hopes that inner peace helps him discern the other man's true intentions.

jedipotter
2014-10-23, 01:47 PM
Astar Stormsword looks you over carefully for several seconds and nods, "That is so. My mind, heart, soul and sword were born to be an instrument for truth and justice in the world. In a little less then a year I had cleared out the fishing villages of the Hooksands of most of evildoers and troublemakers. And not just by sword force, but by also using my mind. Not a bad start for my life time of duty. But the villages could never be free of darkness, without taking on the darkness that came from the sea. So I got a ship and set off to brighten the sea. And on my very first encounter with a smuggling ship, I lost. My own ship was sunk in moments, most of my crew dead, the rest captured. And me, defeated by the dark magics of a dark priest with out even getting to take a single swing.

And then I was enslaved. And sent here.
"

He stands up and offers you his right hand, Astor Stormsword, Holy Knight and Paladian of Tyr. Well to meet you."

Frivolous
2014-10-23, 02:14 PM
Alton does not hesitate to shake hands. He knows enough about paladins from his religious tutelage under Thelonius that refusing the gesture could antagonize the man permanently and might even provoke a fight.

Very quietly, he says, "Alton the Maggot, battlepriest of Tempus." He shrugs a little, self-deprecatingly, as if to indicate he knows he is far from optimal company for a paladin.

Continuing to speak in low tones only, he says, "I'm surprised to see you here, knight. I would have thought your kind would rather die than be enslaved."

His mouth twists as he contemplates certain unfavorable possibilities. "Please tell me no one but me knows you're a paladin."

jedipotter
2014-10-23, 02:32 PM
Astar Stormsword "Aye, my 'owner', knows as well as my 'master'. I was given a good mind ream. They know everything. I know not what others think of me, but I have only told one other then you.

If given the choice between capture and dying in good, honorable battle......I'd pick dying every time. But that choice was taken from me by dark magic. And it is not honorable to kill ones self.

A battlepriest, that explains it. So I take it from your skin and looks that you are a native? What is your story? Born here a slave? Captured like me? How did you come to follow Tempus?"

Frivolous
2014-10-23, 02:39 PM
Alton scratches his neck. For some reason, he feels more embarrassed talking to this man about his sordid past than he has to anyone else in his life.

"I don't know my past. Either I was born here in the arena or I came too young to know anything."

"As for my faith, a cleric of Tempus initiated me. A captive like yourself. He died a few years ago."

Alton looks uncomfortable. "They'll probably try to make a spectacle out of you. A real live paladin, by the gods."

Hesitatingly, he asks, "Can I do anything for you?"

Alton wonders why he asked such a dumb question, then he realizes he actually feels sorry for the paladin. What an odd emotion is pity.

jedipotter
2014-10-23, 02:43 PM
Astar Stormsword "Well, you would not happen to know a way to escape, now would you?" he says with a big smile and a twinkle in he eye.

Frivolous
2014-10-23, 02:51 PM
Alton says, "No. 'Fraid not. Besides getting powerful and well known enough that your owner sets you free because you keep winning matches. I'm trying to do that."

Alton draws back into himself a bit, his natural paranoia making him wonder if this so-called paladin is actually an informer of some sort, sent in the aftermath of the battle to draw out would-be escapees.

"Can you heal?" He wonders if he'll have to kill this man sooner or later. Perhaps sooner.

jedipotter
2014-10-23, 03:05 PM
Astar Stormsword Nods "I can call upon the divine health of Tyr to mend my woulds. It's not much, but it does help.

I doubt very much my owner will free me. He is quite an evil man.

Your right about the spectacle. I already know my fate. He taunted me with it the other day. He is going to get a champion skeleton and put it in a fight with me. I'm a good fighter, but that might be more then I can fight alone....."

Frivolous
2014-10-23, 03:13 PM
As he scours his brain for everything Thelonius told him about the undead, Alton says, "What's a champion skeleton?"

Then, he asks, his gaze not fully focused upon Astor, "Is it permitted to volunteer to fight beside another slave? Would the organizers accept such an offer?"

It looks like he is talking to Astor, but in fact he is asking Aluendale.

To know what a champion skeleton is and what its strengths and weaknesses are:
Knowledge (Religion): [roll0]

jedipotter
2014-10-23, 04:41 PM
Astar Stormsword "They take the normal bag of bones skeleton and add more dark energy. Make it a better fighter, stronger, faster, more intelligent. Buy sticking what is left of a twisted warriors soul in the bones. It will be at least my equal, though I'm sure they will tip the scales a bit too."

Aluendale Maendellyn "Sure, they will do all most anything for a good show. Remember they all love the drama. "

Some skeletons retain their intelligence and cunning, making them formidable warriors. These undead are far more powerful than their mindless kin. Formerly powerful living beings, champion skeletons are undead forced into their nightmarish states by powerful wizards or evil clerics or dark magic.

All Skeletons are immune to cold damage, and resistant to weapons other than blunt weapons. They are not alive and are immune to such things as air loss, hunger drowning. They are all bones, so they can not bleed. You can't effect their minds with magic. They can see in the dark.

They don't have a ''weakness'' per say, but they can be destroyed.

Frivolous
2014-10-24, 12:03 AM
Alton mutters (to whom it is uncertain), "Lovely."

With disturbing nonchalance, he announces, "I'll volunteer to fight beside you then. If they let me fight, we'll flank the sucker."

He pats his new magical club. "Lucky that I, ah, acquired a new magical club recently. I'm not sure if you know this, but skeletons are resistant to weapons that aren't blunt."

Then he frowns. "Hey. Do -you- have a blunt weapon, preferably magical?"

jedipotter
2014-10-24, 12:33 AM
Astar Stormsword "My weapon is the sword. I have trained with a sword from being a boy. Clubs are...unseeingly weapons, I can't use one. I'm sure they picked the skeleton for that reason too. My sword is not magical, but I am. I can channel the divine power of Tyr through my body and into my blade. It will be able to hard and hopefully destroy the skeleton. If I can get in a good hit or two, before it does the same to me.

I'd be glad to fight beside you. I could say your my squire, it would have a truth to it, of sorts. Not that any here would care. But it would make a good show for them, a knight and his squire against the skeleton. Maybe they can sell another couple of seats or some meat on a stick.

"

Frivolous
2014-10-24, 12:47 AM
Alton frowns. He probes. "You -can't- use one, or you don't -want- to use one?"

jedipotter
2014-10-24, 01:16 AM
Astar Stormsword laughs "I can use a club, of course. Who can't swing a stick. But a club is not a weapon of honor. It is not a sword. Swords are special, clubs are just sticks. Winning the fight is not as important as how you win it. You must look good, a blazing beacon of truth and justice reflecting in the blade of a sword. It's who I am."

Frivolous
2014-10-24, 11:55 AM
Alton snorts. "Winning the fight is what matters. You can feel bad about using a club in front of an audience of slave-owning Thavyians after. If you still want to."

He peers more closely at the paladin. "Are you vain?"

Vanity is an unfamiliar concept to a slave like Alton. He has very little experience with it.

jedipotter
2014-10-24, 06:30 PM
Astar Stormsword "I'm honorable. It's not about feeling bad. And it's not about the audience. It would not matter if I was alone in the woods or in the middle of an arena. It is just the way it is. Like I said, winning is not enough. It is how you win that matters."

Frivolous
2014-10-24, 07:15 PM
Alton shakes his head slightly. "But it's not even wrong or right to use a club. There's no....no moral value to it."

Then he stops. There is no point to arguing with a man he just met, and Thelonius told him paladins were very stubborn about things.

"I'll try to join you in the fight. If you want to borrow my club before then, just ask." He sighs heavily. "May Tempus favor us both."

May I ask if I'm roleplaying adequately? You're having fun?

I ask because I don't want to take for granted the time and effort you spend on me.

jedipotter
2014-10-24, 09:23 PM
Astar Stormsword "You can keep you club. I'll go ask about the fight. " Astar gets up and walks away down one of the hallways.

Aluendale Maendellyn "And there is the difference between the views of Tempus and Tyr. We believe in victory at any cost, they follow lots of rules. We would fight with a club, broken hilt or even a rock, they must have a noble weapon like a sword."

Astar Stormsword comes back over in an hour, "Well, my 'master' thinks a knight and his squire makes for a good show. But you will still need the permission of your master."

Barristol Korranton, with two guards and two workers comes over to you, "Got something to ask Maggot?''

Yes and yes. I'm I role playing good? Are you having fun?

I'm a straight forward romantic guy, if I wanted to leave I'd give you the ''it's not you it's me speech'' and say ''we should see other gamers'' and say ''we can still be friends'' lines and move on....lol.

Frivolous
2014-10-25, 03:46 AM
Alton tells Aluendale, shaking his head, "Yeah, I think they're nuttier than squirrel poo, as Thelonius used to say."

To Barristol, Alton says in a flat voice, his gaze cast downwards in degrading and hateful ritual submission, "I want to fight at the side of that Astor Stormsword fellow tomorrow, if it is all right with the Master."

Yes, I'm having a lot of fun. Thank you.

I just hope we don't have trouble with maintaining continuity, having used so many NPC names.

jedipotter
2014-10-25, 08:02 PM
Barristol Korranton folds his arms "You want to fight with that piece of dung? Why, by Loviatar Long Lash, would you ever want to do that? And, more importunately, what is in it for me? I let you fight with the dung beetle and I get what?

Maintain continuity by using so many NPC names? Um...what do you mean?

Frivolous
2014-10-26, 01:10 AM
Alton shrugs a little, bitterly. "I am just a fool, Master. That's why I want to fight alongside him."

"As for what would be in it for you, Master, you would know far better than I what your interests are, Master. But maybe the slaughter would take longer and be more entertaining if he were not alone."

A thought strikes him, and he smiles a little. "It could be funny to declare him fighting alongside a Maggot, because nothing else would willingly stick to a piece of dung."

Harder to keep track of many NPCs than of few.

jedipotter
2014-10-26, 01:27 AM
Barristol Korranton looks at you a moment, and then lets out a big laugh. And after two seconds or so the guards and workers laugh too. "Well, By Bane's Black Balls! I had no idea that you had a humorous tongue! That is the best laugh I've had all day. The Dung and the Maggot! That is great! Just for that, you can join with him and fight together. "

Nah, that is easy. And one nice thing about PbP is you can just scroll back and look.

Is there any extra information you might want?

Frivolous
2014-10-26, 10:42 AM
Alton makes himself look worried to help keep Barristol in a good mood. "Thank you, Master. I'm grateful for the opportunity."

"If you like, you can announce it loud and clear before the fight, so everyone has a chance to laugh at us."

Alton actually hopes that loud-shouting their nicknames would make the fight more famous and thus speed his eventual freedom. If he survives anyway.

Since analysis of school of magic items does not cost an action, might as well roll for the magic items detected earlier.

Boots spellcraft: [roll0]
Belt spellcraft: [roll1]
Club spellcraft: [roll2]

Actually, can a gladiator bet on himself with the bookies? And if he won, would he actually win money or would they feel free to not pay him?

jedipotter
2014-10-26, 06:20 PM
Barristol Korranton "Make yourself ready tomorrow night, third fight is yours." he says plainly with a wave and a nod. Then he walks away with the guards and workers.

Aluendale Maendellyn now wearing bright and shinny full plate mail armor, "Yea, the dung beetle thing, have not heard that one in years. See when you wear lots of armor you can get pretty dirty and sweaty and, well, unpleasant. That is why most people don't wear so much armor in public all the time. Except for the more obsessive types, like knights and paladins, who will wear it all the time, even to just like rest under a tree. And that is where the dung beetle insult comes from. Get it."

A free gladiator can of course bet on themselves. But a slave gladiator is property of their owner just like anything they have like a weapon or money. So the slave could ask their owner/master to bet for them, but the owner/master, does not have to and even if any money is won they don't have to give the salve anything. A slave might bet on their own, but the bookie could just keep the money if any is won. And the slave has no legal recourse, other then to ask their owner/master to do something. And even if something is done, the slave still might not get anything.

Of course a slave could always bet with another slave on the 'black market', but that is a risk too.

Frivolous
2014-10-26, 09:20 PM
Alton stays tense the rest of the day, since it is altogether possible that he might be called upon to fight today. He really does not want to get wounded the day before he fights the champion skeleton.

He says distractedly, "Oh? I thought it was just a regular insult."

If any Red fights are staged today, he casts Detect Magic again and scans the items of those fighting in one of the combats.

Pardon me, but Alton rolled in the previous post to analyze the magic items he got.

If nothing happens the rest of the day and he makes it to the next day unscathed, he prepares the following 1st level spells:

Bless, Magic Weapon*, and Shield of Faith.

jedipotter
2014-10-26, 10:43 PM
In the eairly evening, all the slave gladiators are called into the arena floor. For one of the rare times, all 300 or so slave gladiators are brought together all at the same time. One group of slave gladiators, all striped of armor and weapons stand in a circle surrounded my red orcs with their weapons drawn.

The stands are full of guards and workers. Once everyone is in the area a human male in bright gold colored robes stands up and speaks with a magicaly loud voice. thoes of you who don't know, i'm Saithnar Nicondber, the owner and operater of the Scarlet Pit. As I'm sure you all know, there was a pathtic escape atempt today. They were fools and they are all dead now. there is not escape. You are all slaves. You will die here it is only a matter of time." He makes a fist.......

....and the orcs kill all the surounded slaves in a couple seconds in very visicoius and bloody ways.........once they are all dead and laying as bleeding corpses on the ground.....

''Thoes were all my personaly owned slaves. My property. I just cost myself a lot of money. So just keep this thought in your tiny minds: If I would do that to them, what would I have done to you!'' And he whirls around and walks away.

You can't figure out what school of magic is on the boots or belt, but the club has weak transmuation on it.

Frivolous
2014-10-27, 09:49 AM
Alton waits to see if the red orcs do anything with the bodies, or if they leave them alone.

If they leave the bodies alone, he walks forward and tries to loot the new corpses for any coin or jewels or other valuables on them. He tries to avoid feeling too much shame about looting the dead when he had no part in killing them.

What are red orcs?

jedipotter
2014-10-27, 12:35 PM
The red orcs take a minute to loot the dead bodies of the slave gladiators they killed, then they walk in file out of the arena floor.

Aluendale Maendellyn wearing just a dark brown tabard and boots, "Guess there was a response after all. Might be enough to stop any trouble, maybe for a couple weeks.

The arena floor is quickly cleared and everything gets set up for the nights matches. The first twenty are quite boring green matches, that at least sort of entertain the crowd.

The two breeds of Thayan orc are magical hybrids of ordinary gray orcs, orogs, and other creatures, including possibly ogres and gnolls. Tall and muscular, with large hooded eyes, tough leathery skin, and snouted bestial faces, Thayan orcs seem to embody all the worse aspects of the creatures that went into their creation. Both Thayan black and red orcs are warrior creatures, loyal and skillful, who live for battle.

Frivolous
2014-10-27, 12:42 PM
Alton murmurs, "We're all responsible for our own actions. If any fools want to get themselves killed, fine by me, so long as they don't drag me into their disasters."

To pass the time, he watches the green matches. He tries to look for one of the very newest and most naive-looking newbie gladiators to test the items on.

jedipotter
2014-10-27, 03:23 PM
Most of the matches look like they are all new gladiators. They make great comedy and entertainment. Lanx Feysmoke, for example does not put up much of any fight before Mardeg Longhands knocjs him right out.

Frivolous
2014-10-27, 03:33 PM
Alton waits for the match to be over, then he helps revive Lanx Feysmoke with his healing skills.

He tries to give the poor loser a friendly smile, but he knows his friendliest is not very convincing. "Hey. Nice fight," he lies. "I'm sure you did your best."

"If you like, I can give you some training tonight."

Let me know if I need to roll Bluff or Diplomacy or something, though Alton sucks at both.

jedipotter
2014-10-27, 03:41 PM
Lanx Feysmoke "Look, it's nice of you to see to my wounds...but training? Are you crazy? I want to get out of here! I should not even be here! I'm just a messenger! You know, take a scroll form here to there! I'm not a gladiator! You need to tell them! Can you tell them? Get me out of here!"

You should roll depending on what you want to try to do...

Frivolous
2014-10-27, 03:48 PM
Alton tries to avoid rolling his eyes. He's heard numerous versions of Lanx's sob story ever since he was a small boy.

"Look, I can't do anything about that. But if you do me a small favor tonight, I'll treat the wounds you have now so that they heal faster.

And I'll even promise to protect you for a whole week from the bad men and women who might hurt you for real outside the arena."

"A weak guy like you could be in for a lot of trouble if he doesn't have a protector. What do you say?"

Diplomacy is a class skill for clerics, but Alton has none, haha.

Diplomacy: [roll0]

jedipotter
2014-10-27, 05:40 PM
Lanx Feysmoke "All right. That...that sounds like a good deal. You'd do all that for me? It's not like I can pay you or anything....."

Look at that roll....

Frivolous
2014-10-28, 12:45 AM
Alton nods rapidly three times. "Yes, yes."

He gently takes Lanx by the elbow and pulls him away from the other people, towards a more secluded and hopefully altogether empty part of the arena.

Once he has found a likely spot, he looks around carefully for any intruders or eavesdroppers, then takes out his new magic belt of unknown significance.

"Here, put this on."

If and once Lanx puts it on, he inspects the other slave closely and asks, "Feel different?"

Serendipity. :smallsmile:

jedipotter
2014-10-28, 01:31 AM
Lanx Feysmoke "I don't feel any different. Why should I?"

There is no visible effect on Lanx to be seen.

Frivolous
2014-10-28, 10:53 AM
Alton tries to control his reactions, so he sounds flat and disinterested.

"That's fine. Walk and jump around a bit. Pound on the wall."

jedipotter
2014-10-28, 04:38 PM
Lanx Feysmoke walks around, jumps around and then pounds on a wall. None of his actions seem to do anything.

Frivolous
2014-10-28, 04:41 PM
Alton nods. "Take off the belt and give it to me."

If and when Lanx hands him the magic belt, Alton hands him the magic boots. "Put these on and do jump around, walk around, stuff like that. Do they feel any different?"

jedipotter
2014-10-28, 05:06 PM
Lanx Feysmoke "The boots sure do fit nice. They make my feet feel kinda light. Kinda feel like I can jump"

Lanx jumps up two feet and then lands in the same spot.

Frivolous
2014-10-28, 05:09 PM
Still applying the same flatness to his tone of voice and demeanor, Alton says, "Okay. Take them off and give them to me."

He tenses slightly, knowing he'll have to beat Lanx senseless if he does not do as he is told. But that is why he picked a total loser as his test subject; to make sure that, no matter what advantage the magic gave, he'd be able to beat him senseless anyway.

He does not intend to have Lanx test the club. Alton has no desire to be beaten by a potentially useful magic club the night before he fights for his life against undead.

Frivolous
2014-10-28, 05:17 PM
Gah, I feel so stupid.

Sorry, but I completely misremembered the magic armband as being a magic belt. Would it be all right to retcon all recent references to a magic belt so they are instead referring to a magic armband?

Very sorry for the mixup. I don't know why I was thinking of a belt.

jedipotter
2014-10-28, 05:40 PM
Lanx Feysmoke takes off the boots and gives them back "So...um...what exactly are we doing? "

Yea, it's an armband...

Frivolous
2014-10-28, 05:47 PM
Alton tries to look casual as he accepts the boots back. He says in a flat voice, "You're too innocent to understand, but I like to make other people wear leather for me."

"As I promised, I will do my best to protect you for the next week. Don't make a big deal of it, but if anyone bothers you, tell 'em to talk to the Maggot."

"Now...would you like me to help take care of your injuries now? You'll feel better tomorrow if I start now."

If Lanx accepts, give him long-term care as per the Heal skill.

Thanks for tolerating my flagrant stupidity. I think I thought 'belt' because I went belt shopping a few weeks ago. Sigh.

jedipotter
2014-10-28, 06:04 PM
Lanx Feysmoke "Thanks. Your kinda, different. But your sure the nicest person here I've met. '' He lays down so you can get to his wounds...

Ah, yes, I remember going ''belt shopping''...it was a couple years ago...maybe 2005? I remember the old belt broke, I walked into a store, picked up the new belt, paid for it and walked out.....it was a long five minutes.

Frivolous
2014-10-28, 06:10 PM
Alton gives Lanx the treatment he needs to get better more quickly and surely. Then he sends him on his way and, in private, puts on the boots, which do not seem to be cursed after all. He jumps around a bit, trying to jump as high as possible.

After a bit of thought, he also puts on the armband, since it does not seem to be cursed, either.

Put on the boots. Jump as high as possible.

The belt shopping was not a problem. It was the accompanying and preceding pants shopping that I found really tedious. Took forever.

jedipotter
2014-10-28, 07:46 PM
The boots seem to have a different effect on Maggot, his jump as no strength put into it, but the jump is very dexterous and he lands on his feet no problem. The armband seems to have no effect.

With the evening matches over, all quite boring green ones, the arena gets very quiet.

Frivolous
2014-10-29, 12:35 AM
Alton ponders, then takes his new magical boots off and puts them in his pack and uses them as a pillow, just as he did his ordinary, non-magical boots. It would not do to give anyone the impression these boots were different.

He drinks a lot of well-watered wine so he wakes up early again the next morning, then he goes to sleep.

jedipotter
2014-10-29, 11:04 PM
The night passes quiet enough.....

The morning is quiet enough......five dead halflings are carried out in bags. They don't seem to have any wounds but are quite dead.

Lanx Feysmoke "I heard them say they were killed last night, some time. Some one smothered them. very quiet like."

Frivolous
2014-10-30, 12:26 AM
As soon as he wakes up before dawn, Alton pees, then prays for his spells for the day. Then he puts on his gear, including the magic armband, the magic boots, and the magic club.

Alton says in a flat voice, "Shocking."] He does not sound shocked, though.

"Maybe someone acted preemptively to kill any locksmiths. Prevent any further escapes."

He watches the bodies to see where they are carried. Out of the arena, perhaps, where he cannot go, or to some room in the arena where he can go?

As mentioned before, spells are:

0: Detect Magic x2, Purify Food and Drink.
1: Bless, Magic Weapon, Shield of Faith

Equip Alton with all recently acquired magic items.

jedipotter
2014-10-30, 01:50 AM
The bodies are carried out one of the locks out of the arena.

Soon enough a goblin, dressed all in black robed and a small wooden staff, walks over nearby "Human Maggot? Human Maggot! Ah, I be seeing you. " The goblin walks over to you. "you are human called Maggot, yes?" He asks looking up.

"I be Nradet DarkBrain of Nargtakil. I seek you."

Frivolous
2014-10-30, 11:27 AM
Alton says to the goblin in black, flatly, "What about, Nradet Darkbrain of Nargtakil?"

The nomenclature seems familiar, like how a cleric would announce himself. Alton looks for a sign that the goblin is a cleric or shaman or other divine caster. He looks for other clues as to the goblin's status or intentions.

He also tries to remember if there is a god called Nargtakil.

Following rolls are focused on Nradet and on the possible god Nargtakil.

Sense Motive: [roll1]
Knowledge (Religion): [roll2]

jedipotter
2014-10-30, 07:12 PM
Nradet DarkBrain "You will be fighting a champion skeleton later to day. Big fight, lots of bets, and lots of money to be made. Everyone thinks you and the knight will loose, so they bet that way. That how humans are, boring. But me goblin and think better. How about we make you win? Then my bet for you makes lots of money!"

You don't spot anything, and you sense the goblin may ''want something''.

Religion: Just about all clerics will introduce themselves as ''of the god/goddess's name'', as they are proud of their faith and want everyone to know.

Nargtakil is the goblin god of magic. It is well known that they are searching for several ancient lost goblin magic items, that if found could save the goblin race and allow them to remake the world so goblins would rule.

Frivolous
2014-10-30, 11:22 PM
Alton nods curtly. "And what do you want me to do so you win your bet?"

He suspects this has something to do with betraying the paladin.

jedipotter
2014-11-01, 01:05 AM
Nradet DarkBrain "Easy. Win fight. Destroy the skeleton. Everyone that bets against you looses, and I win. And you win too. Win win." He smiles big and shows of his green and yellow crooked teeth,

Frivolous
2014-11-01, 04:37 AM
Alton still senses some kind of trick, though on whom he is not certain. Zolis Marualdi had helped him without visible price, but he figured that was a one-time fluke. Could it be this strange goblin was going to make it two times?

"So....how do you propose to help me, Nradet?"

jedipotter
2014-11-01, 06:33 PM
Nradet DarkBrain pulls out three small clay jars and holds them up. "Magic oils. Just rub on your skin. This first one gives you the strength of a bear and the second one charges up your life force. The third one makes you invisible to undead, but only undead. Just rub them on your skin before the fight. You win the fight!"

Frivolous
2014-11-01, 07:15 PM
Alton accepts the oils from Nradet. He says in a flat voice, "Sure."

He has no intention of rubbing strange and potentially cursed oils on his skin, oils given to him by a strange and eccentric goblin.

"What does charges up my life force mean?" he asks suspiciously.

jedipotter
2014-11-01, 07:38 PM
Nradet DarkBrain "It's one of my favorite magicks, I use it all the time. It flares up your life force...like when you blow win on hot coals. Just for a bit though. Then if you get hit, say a skeletons claws your guts out, the wound comes out of your inflated life force first. Then when the magic fades, if your not hurt too bad, you have no wound...not even a scar."

Frivolous
2014-11-01, 07:52 PM
Alton says, "Nice. Thank you, Nradet."

Then he says, "Bye." And he walks away.

As he tries to find a private spot to examine the oils, he murmurs to Aluendale, "I guess you can't tell if he really has got a bet on me and Astor?"

jedipotter
2014-11-01, 08:40 PM
Nradet DarkBrain nods and walks away.

Aluendale Maendellyn "I can't tell, but you could always ask a bookie. A small bribe can get that information. Assuming you can trust anything they say, of course.

Though betting on the underbug is a good trick. I'm sure most will think the skeleton will make short work of the two of you. So that puts the betting against you. "

Frivolous
2014-11-02, 09:36 AM
Alton looks frustrated. "Where do I find a bookie? Won't they be working -outside- the arena?"

"I don't know if a bookie would be all that useful anyway. Nradet might have a bet on me to win, but he might also have a bet on the skeleton to win. And of course there are private bets."

Once alone, he casts Detect Magic and examines all the supposedly magical goods he does not understand yet.

single arm band: Spellcraft: [roll0]
supposed oil of bear's strength: Spellcraft: [roll1]
supposed oil of flaring life force: Spellcraft: [roll2]
supposed oil of hide from undead: Spellcraft: [roll3]

jedipotter
2014-11-02, 04:00 PM
Aluendale Maendellyn "Slaves don't risk betting with the bookies much, so you won't find many down here. Slaves go for black hand bets, and they might be worse. But like I mentioned before, you can pay a guard or worker to ask."

Armband glows with transmutation magic
Oil of bears strength glows with transmutation magic
Oil of false life glows with necromancy
Oil of invisibility to undead glows with abjuration

Frivolous
2014-11-02, 11:55 PM
Alton tilts his head. "Interesting. The oils do have the properties they might have had if they did as Nradet promised."

He goes to seek out the chatty guard. "Hey, can I ask if you know what are the odds of me and the dung beetle against the champion skeleton?"

jedipotter
2014-11-03, 12:25 AM
Llaars Nirum "Oh, they are pretty good. Ah, well you know depends. Last I heard they were all the way at a 20 to 1 long shot. They expect the skeleton to win. Makes me wish I had some coin to bet with, but that is the way the sand blows."

Frivolous
2014-11-03, 11:58 AM
Alton says, "Could you do me a favor? I need to know whether if a goblin called Nradet Darkbrain has bet on me to win."

Alton braces himself for the chatty guard to ask something in return.

jedipotter
2014-11-03, 04:25 PM
Llaars Nirum "Well, sure, I could ask. But I doubt anyone would tell me anything. You know, unless I had some coins to loosen their tongue. But I don't even have a copper coin. And it would be hard to talk to a bookie about bets, you know, without placing a bet myself. But I don't have the money to do any of that. " He looks over at you with his best sad puppy eyes.

"But if I had some coin, I could make a bet and get the answer to your question...."

Frivolous
2014-11-04, 10:34 AM
Alton says, "I don't have any coin, either. Just store credit. Would that count?"

jedipotter
2014-11-05, 12:00 AM
Llaars Nirum "Well, you can always cash in the credit to hard coins. " as he smiles and nods.

Frivolous
2014-11-05, 12:08 AM
Alton looks blank. "I... didn't know that."

He tries to bargain Llars down to the least he'd accept to go fetch the information for him.

I don't want to go through posting the haggling point by point, so I'll just roll Diplomacy. Hope that is all right.

Diplomacy: [roll0]

jedipotter
2014-11-05, 01:49 AM
Llaars Nirum shrugs and is not very convinced. "I'd think at least five gold is worth my time."

Your three magic items are worth a ton of money, around 500-1000 gold each, at least.

Frivolous
2014-11-05, 11:42 AM
Alton looks disgruntled; 5 gold is exactly how much store credit he has, plus a little silver. But it's not worth more than his life, and he willingly goes to fetch the 5 gold.

"Here." He hands the 5 gold to Llars.

Subtracted 5 gold from sheet. Alton now has only 9 silver in coins.

jedipotter
2014-11-05, 01:19 PM
[B]Llaars Nirum[/B smiles happily "I'll be back in an hour or so" and he quickly heads over to the long lock room system to slowly get out of the slave side of the arena. He steps into an empty spot, and the door and gate to the slave area is closed, then he heads through to opposite gate and door...into the next such room, and again and again.

Frivolous
2014-11-05, 11:08 PM
Alton moodily watches the extremely paranoid anti-slave-escape gate system. He sighs.

jedipotter
2014-11-06, 01:30 AM
A little over an hour later Llaars Nirum comes over and finds you. "Well again. Well, it seems that not only did Nradet bet on you, but most of the other goblins did too. It's quite the joke, all the goblins betting on the underbug.

Frivolous
2014-11-06, 10:51 AM
Alton nods. "Thanks, Llars."

He turns to go, then on an impulse, asks, "Who are you betting on?"

jedipotter
2014-11-06, 03:16 PM
Llaars Nirum looks down at his boots "No offense...but my money is on the skeleton. You have no chance really. I've seen this before you know. I mean your a good enough person and all, but your not going to live to see the sun rise. It's just the way it is."

Frivolous
2014-11-06, 03:43 PM
Alton nods fatalistically. "Everyone must die."

He nods a farewell. "Be seein' you." He walks off to watch the other gladiatorial matches.

How much longer before the scheduled match vs the skeleton?