PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Malevolence

backwaterj
2014-09-27, 04:28 AM
So my character got possessed by a ghost using malevolence (the ghost is high level and basically a plot device who was supposed to possess an NPC but if you can count on anyone to flub a Will save on a save-or-suck I'm your guy). Anyway, I'm okay playing rules-loose with it as he's actually a pretty fun character to play, but it raises a few rules questions about the malevolence ability.

1. Since the ability is based off Magic Jar, which has a duration of 1 hour per caster level, I'd assume this still applies, but since it's an at-will ability I'd also assume he can re-cast without leaving the host body. Would the host get a new save for each attempt, assuming the ghost does not leave?

2. Since there's no external vessel involved, my assumption is that the soul remains with the body, just not in the "driver's seat". Would the host's consciousness essentially black out, waking up hours or days later with no recollection of time passing? Or would the host witness events as an observer in his/her own body?

Silva Stormrage
2014-09-27, 05:09 AM
So my character got possessed by a ghost using malevolence (the ghost is high level and basically a plot device who was supposed to possess an NPC but if you can count on anyone to flub a Will save on a save-or-suck I'm your guy). Anyway, I'm okay playing rules-loose with it as he's actually a pretty fun character to play, but it raises a few rules questions about the malevolence ability.

1. Since the ability is based off Magic Jar, which has a duration of 1 hour per caster level, I'd assume this still applies, but since it's an at-will ability I'd also assume he can re-cast without leaving the host body. Would the host get a new save for each attempt, assuming the ghost does not leave?

2. Since there's no external vessel involved, my assumption is that the soul remains with the body, just not in the "driver's seat". Would the host's consciousness essentially black out, waking up hours or days later with no recollection of time passing? Or would the host witness events as an observer in his/her own body?

It is not a well worded ability IMO. Note that the ability is "Similar to magic jar" so the DM gets some leeway with the ability.

1: I would say the 1 hour/CL rule would be fine and logical. And yes if the ghost attempted to repossess then I would say the character gets another will save.

2: Up to the DM. I would suggest something similar to Durkon and Durkula in the current OOTS plot line.

Necroticplague
2014-09-27, 05:20 AM

1.Actually, you technically have to get out then back into the body to refresh the possession. Malevolence reads " To use this ability, the ghost must be manifested, and she must try to move into the target's space, but doing so does not provoke attacks of opportunity.". You can't move into their space if you're already withing it, as per the last line "If the save fails, the ghost vanishes into the target's body.". And yes, he'd get a new save every time.

2. The rules are oddly quiet on this point. However, it seems to support the latter interpretation. You get the bodies natural and automatic abilities, which can include class-base abilities. Thus, their appears to be some semblance of the original still around at least to draw some small amount of knowlege from. of course, since this occurs even with normal Magic Jar, that could just be the "muscle memory" of the body (though it obviously includes the brain, as the posessor would also benefit from feats like Skill Focus.

backwaterj
2014-09-27, 08:50 PM
1.Actually, you technically have to get out then back into the body to refresh the possession. Malevolence reads " To use this ability, the ghost must be manifested, and she must try to move into the target's space, but doing so does not provoke attacks of opportunity.". You can't move into their space if you're already withing it, as per the last line "If the save fails, the ghost vanishes into the target's body.". And yes, he'd get a new save every time.

Yeah, I guess by a literal reading he'd have to exit and reenter, though personally I probably wouldn't play it that way. The save makes sense though.

2. The rules are oddly quiet on this point. However, it seems to support the latter interpretation. You get the bodies natural and automatic abilities, which can include class-base abilities. Thus, their appears to be some semblance of the original still around at least to draw some small amount of knowlege from. of course, since this occurs even with normal Magic Jar, that could just be the "muscle memory" of the body (though it obviously includes the brain, as the posessor would also benefit from feats like Skill Focus.

Well, you'd get class abilities as long as they aren't Extraordinary, Supernatural, spells, or Spell-like Abilities. So . . . basically bonus feats, and possibly skill ranks? This is also a good point though, since up till now I've been ignoring my character's abilities entirely.

Per the campaign, we're going with sort of a dream-state, so I get vague impressions about where the ghost goes and what he does, but no detailed memories.

DM Nate
2014-09-28, 03:55 AM
The Ghostwalk campaign defines the Malevolence ability in much clearer terms (since it is an ability that the PCs can use). I'm using it for my own campaign; perhaps your DM can look into that.

backwaterj
2014-09-28, 04:28 AM
Much appreciated, I'll look that up. Like I said, this is less of a campaign issue and more of a rules question that happened to be prompted by the campaign. If that makes any sense at all.