PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Chainmaster/Treemaster, a semi-silly fighter archetype. [PEACH]

The Vagabond
2014-09-27, 09:07 AM
Note: You choose either Tree or Chain, and go with the resulting phrase.

The Chainmaster/Treemaster, a fighter Archetype.

Feat Chains/Trees:
Instead of getting your fighter bonus feats, you instead gain all feats you meet the prerequisites for in any feat-tree you have taken the base for.
This replaces Bravery, Weapon Training, and Bonus Feats.

Chain/Tree proficiency
You Gain proficiency with Spiked Chains and regular-chains/ Trees, treating them as an improvised weapon of the same-size, as if you had the Throw Anything and Caught off Guard feature.

This replaces Medium, Heavy, and Shield (All) Proficiencies.

Chain/Wood armor training:
Starting at 3rd level, a fighter learns to be more maneuverable while wearing Chain/Wood. Whenever he is wearing chain/wood armor, he reduces the armor check penalty by 1 (to a minimum of 0) and increases the maximum Dexterity bonus allowed by his armor by 1. Every four levels thereafter (7th, 11th, and 15th), these bonuses increase by +1 each time, to a maximum –4 reduction of the armor check penalty and a +4 increase of the maximum Dexterity bonus allowed.
In addition, at 7th level, a fighter can move at his normal speed while wearing chain/wood armor.
This replaces Armor Training.

Skilless:
Only gets 1+Int modifier skill point per level. Can be reduced to zero. Can be in the negatives, resulting in negative skill points.

Prerequisiteless:
]Gain all feats in your feat chains you lack the prerequisites for.
This replaces Armor Mastery

Chain/Tree mastery.
Pick a feat. You gain that feat, and all it's prerequisites.This replaces Weapon Mastery.

upho
2014-09-28, 09:00 PM
Really awesome work here. Only have one question: why would anyone ever choose the chainmaster? OK, so you don't actually give any numbers for how long the chains are, so I guess its up to DM fiat, but even with a very lenient DM your feet are still chained! My suggestion is that you should ask yourself if you may be having some personal unresolved issues with chains, and whether you're unintentionally allowing those issues to color your mechanics. I'm sure you agree that having your personal issues, tastes or preferences affect your homebrew stuff would be unproffesional behavior for any kind of homebrewer (PC builder, moonshiner, computer games modder or whatever). Though I must admit I've only playtested the treemaster yet (dipped druid for barkskin and snatched up the Leaf on the Winds maneuver, turned out to be solid as an oak), it seems like a high price to pay, especially as you allow the treemaster to get away scott free with the same shiny toys.

Don't get me wrong though, I really like the eco-gaming thing and appreciate your passion for the cause, but I believe we won't see a serious attitude change from the average player unless we stop punishing the old steelheads and instead focus on rewarding environment-friendly initiatives. Positive reinforcements instead of punishments is the way to go, you know like Ceasar the Dog-Whisperer always says.

Anyhow, you may have planted a seed here, actually showing hands-on how the fighter should grow. An initiative I applaud.

...Wait... Planted?

:smalleek:

Oh crap! Totally missed the treemaster must of course have his feet planted! Stupid me! That should be an even harsher penalty than the chains, even if I also think it's awesome someone's finally giving the fighter's gritty "stand still and full attack" combat style the love it deserves. All these whiny caster fanboys thinking a fighter needs versatility should play one your archetypes. Maybe then they'll understand how a true hardcore fighter faces his enemies - Rooted and Full Attacking! - instead of trying to "fix" the class by dressing it up in all kinds of unmanly caster-crap. Respect, man.

Should've known I'd done something wrong when my DM banned the treemaster and all the other guys in my group thought it was totally broken. Even after I'd explained they couldn't possibly be right, since a broken tree would of course be dead, they didn't listen. I thought it was the usual system mastery envy, you know like how a lot of people can't deal with having anyone at the table who has a greater talent for char-op. :smallsigh:

But I assume this does not mean you're actually an old steelhead who refuses to drop his forged weapon, despite knowing the discusting amounts of setting-killing pollutions the crafting of such old-school metal gear cause. Right?

.................................................. .......

:smallbiggrin: