PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next The Nycter (Playable Race) PEACH

Ralcos
2014-09-27, 11:01 AM
Because I'm bored, and I like making homebrew, I decided to transfer the Nycter from the MM3 (3.5) to 5e Player Race status.

http://paelvin.dk/onewebstatic/9c3215481d-Nycter.jpg

Cave-dwelling batfolk that strive to live peacefully and well. Their culture and society revolve around the cave and the community. Nycters have a keen sense of duty to their group and do their utmost to contribute to it.

The Nycter stands 2 to 2-1/2 feet tall and weighs 20 to 25 pounds. The creature's wing colors range from pale tan to dark grey, and the fur tones are tan, brown, or grey.

Ability score Increase. Your Dexterity score increases by 2, while your Wisdom score increases by 1.
Age. Nycters have a small lifespan, becoming adults at 4 years of age, with an average lifespan of 40 to 50 years.
Alignment. Nycters usually keep to themselves, unpredictable to most humanoids with a slight edge towards honor and law. Most Nycters are True Neutral.
Size. You are considered Small size. You take disadvantage to all attack rolls using weapons with the "heavy" keyword.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 25 feet. Your base walking speed is 25 feet. You may also glide, which is a fly speed of 35 feet, but you may not gain altitude when gliding. At the end of any turn in which you remain aloft, you must decrease your altitude by 20 feet (landing if necessary).
You cannot glide when wearing Medium or Heavy armor and/or encumbered. At 12th level, this becomes a full fly speed with a maximum altitude of 10 feet. If you are above 10 feet in altitude, you must make a Strength saving throw (DC 12) or fall to the ground, taking 1d6 in Bludgeoning damage.
You cannot fly when wearing Medium or Heavy armor and/or encumbered.

I tried to emulate the rules of the Pixie's fly speed from 4e (Heroes of the Feywild), which listed a fly speed with a maximum altitude. Is this still considered overpowered, even with the restriction?

Echolation. As a bonus action, you can use this ability. When activated, you have Blindsight equal to 120 feet. If you are deafened, this ability automatically is disabled or fails when you try to use it. This ability lasts until the end of your next turn.

Trying to emulate the Blindsight feature from the race in MM3. I'm pretty sure this is overpowered, but I'll see what you guys think.

Languages. You can speak, read, and write the Deep Speech language.

So, what do you guys think?

Steel Mirror
2014-09-27, 12:23 PM
I like these guys, they are weird and have unusual abilities, which spell PC fun in my book. :smallbiggrin:

I'm not near my PHB right now, so I can't comment on how to change Echolocation, but I do think it is too powerful. I'll have to read the description of Trueseeing and compare it to possible other spell effects/creature blindsight type abilities to figure out what I think would be better. I do like the basic idea of giving them enhanced senses via a bonus action, and I love the fact that it is disabled if they are deafened, I just want to be sure that it isn't too good.

The flight speed is a good start, but I would even make it a glide rather than true flight. Maybe something like:

Speed. Your base walking speed is 25 feet. You may also glide, which is a fly speed of 35 feet, but you may not gain altitude when gliding. At the end of any turn in which you remain aloft, you must decrease your altitude by 20 feet (landing if necessary).
You cannot glide when wearing Medium or Heavy armor and/or encumbered.

It's a suggestion, anyway.

I'll come back once I get to my book!

Ralcos
2014-09-27, 12:44 PM
I like these guys, they are weird and have unusual abilities, which spell PC fun in my book. :smallbiggrin:

I'm not near my PHB right now, so I can't comment on how to change Echolocation, but I do think it is too powerful. I'll have to read the description of Trueseeing and compare it to possible other spell effects/creature blindsight type abilities to figure out what I think would be better. I do like the basic idea of giving them enhanced senses via a bonus action, and I love the fact that it is disabled if they are deafened, I just want to be sure that it isn't too good.

The flight speed is a good start, but I would even make it a glide rather than true flight. Maybe something like:

Speed. Your base walking speed is 25 feet. You may also glide, which is a fly speed of 35 feet, but you may not gain altitude when gliding. At the end of any turn in which you remain aloft, you must decrease your altitude by 20 feet (landing if necessary).
You cannot glide when wearing Medium or Heavy armor and/or encumbered.

It's a suggestion, anyway.

I'll come back once I get to my book!

I'll make it start as a glide speed then, and then later (10th level or 12th level) it turns into a fly speed. Does that work, or is it too much?

Steel Mirror
2014-09-27, 12:46 PM
Ooh, that sounds good. Giving them a fly speed at those levels is fine, since many groups will have ways of flying or otherwise avoiding obstacles by then anyway.

Ralcos
2014-09-27, 12:49 PM
Updated Speed feature to begin as a 35 "fly" glide speed, with progression of full flight at 12th level.

Ralcos
2014-09-27, 01:44 PM
Nothing else to say about the 5e version of the Nycter?
Any constructive advice/ideas/criticism?

Steel Mirror
2014-09-27, 03:54 PM
So I got the chance to peek at my PHB, and True Seeing lets you automatically see magically obscured doors and see into the Ethereal Plane, which seems pretty excessive for echolocation. Equally, a 6th level spell is much too good for an at-will spell ability, or for any spell ability inherent to a race.

Why not let the ability be a bonus action to gain Blindsight (PHB 183)? That's much less powerful, probably fits better fluff-wise, and still refers to a standard ability so that you don't need a huge writeup. In fact that still might be pretty powerful for an at-will racial ability, but of course it fits so well that for now I think I am okay with it.

Ralcos
2014-09-27, 03:59 PM
So I got the chance to peek at my PHB, and True Seeing lets you automatically see magically obscured doors and see into the Ethereal Plane, which seems pretty excessive for echolocation. Equally, a 6th level spell is much too good for an at-will spell ability, or for any spell ability inherent to a race.

Why not let the ability be a bonus action to gain Blindsight (PHB 183)? That's much less powerful, probably fits better fluff-wise, and still refers to a standard ability so that you don't need a huge writeup. In fact that still might be pretty powerful for an at-will racial ability, but of course it fits so well that for now I think I am okay with it.

Updated. They now can spend a Bonus Action to get Blindsight 120 feet for a round.