PDA

View Full Version : Adapting War Weaver to Psionics

Augment Tab
2014-09-27, 04:46 PM
I've got a campaign coming up where a player wants to use the War Weaver prestige class (Heroes of Battle), but the campaign is psionic in nature. How would you all adapt the prestige class to be used by psions?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-09-27, 05:01 PM
War Weaver doesn't allow you to use personal-range spells on other creatures, and the same would be true for a psionic version. Considering how few non-personal-range beneficial powers there are, it's not really a great choice at all. I would go Psion (Egoist) with True Healer (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070314a) into Sangehirn (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040625c) 3+ before War Waver, at least then he'll have some options for beneficial powers that can be used on other creatures.

Waker
2014-09-27, 05:02 PM
Change skill requirement to Knowledge (Psionics 6), feat requirement to Enlarge Power, powers to "Must be able to manifest 3rd-level Powers". Change all other references of spells to powers and arcane to psionic. Done!

Augment Tab
2014-09-27, 05:13 PM
Change skill requirement to Knowledge (Psionics 6), feat requirement to Enlarge Power, powers to "Must be able to manifest 3rd-level Powers". Change all other references of spells to powers and arcane to psionic. Done!

That won't work for the reasons Biffoniacus stated.

War Weaver doesn't allow you to use personal-range spells on other creatures, and the same would be true for a psionic version. Considering how few non-personal-range beneficial powers there are, it's not really a great choice at all. I would go Psion (Egoist) with True Healer (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070314a) into Sangehirn (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040625c) 3+ before War Waver, at least then he'll have some options for beneficial powers that can be used on other creatures.

I can't read any of that now, they have a lot of the other forums blocked here (at work). I'll give those a looksee when I get home.

Thrice Dead Cat
2014-09-27, 05:19 PM
Due to the issues with nonpersonal powers, maybe also allow the psionic version to use personal powers of War Weaver level or lower on the weave.

Augment Tab
2014-09-27, 05:24 PM
Due to the issues with nonpersonal powers, maybe also allow the psionic version to use personal powers of War Weaver level or lower on the weave.

This is one idea I had, yeah. It seems like a good option.

Waker
2014-09-27, 05:29 PM
My earlier response was slightly flippant, but I thought you were simply concerned with the PrC class itself, not so much with the base manifester powers.
Did the player in question express interest in the War Weaver before s/he found out it was a Psionics campaign? If they did know beforehand, ask them what kind of powers they were thinking to utilize through the PrC. If they didn't, you might also consider steering them in the direction of another character concept. Sadly I don't have the intimate level of knowledge concerning Powers to adequately list a good alternative. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head would be allowing members of your tapestry to be considered legal targets in a manner similar to Familiars/Psicrystals being targeted by Share Spell.
You're other solution would be to say Psyren's name three times and he should appear to answer any and all psionic questions you might have.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-09-27, 05:49 PM

Considering how psionic powers scale, I would actually make it a powerpoints spent on a power limit, rather than a power level limit. Something like as long as he spends no more than 1/3/5/7/9 powerpoints on a power he can use it through the weave.

kardar233
2014-09-27, 06:02 PM
Given the kind of personal-range powers you could put into a weave, I would be extremely careful. Weaved Temporal Acceleration, for example.

Waker
2014-09-27, 06:10 PM
Given the kind of personal-range powers you could put into a weave, I would be extremely careful. Weaved Temporal Acceleration, for example.

Well, unless we went with Biffoniacus_Furiou's suggestion, that particular power wouldn't be a problem, since a War Weaver can't cast a spell greater than 5th through their Eldritch Tapestry. So the Psionic War Weaver couldn't manifest a power above 5th.

Rubik
2014-09-27, 07:03 PM
A spell-to-power erudite would have no problems manifesting powers through their war weaver levels.

For a given value of "powers," anyway.