PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Mythic as gear substitute in low a magic setting

EisenKreutzer
2014-09-27, 06:42 PM
I'm writing a setting for my next campaign with a stone-age/ice-age theme. I want magic to be kind of rare, and magic items in particular to be near mythical in nature. If my players find a sword made of actual metal, I want that to be just as rewarding as finding a magical cloak or something in a regular D&D game. There will be spellcasters, but they'll be rare and most likely movers and shakers in the world, and magical weapons and items will be hard to come by.

This means that my players will be running around the world with stone-tipped spears and maybe a bronze dagger if theyre lucky for much of the game. Some of them will no doubt play spellcasters, and I want that to be a huge, epic thing that matters in the world.

So, given that magical items won't be anywhere near as plentiful as they are in regular Pathfinder, would using the Mythic rules be a good substitute for the lack of magical gear? I know that in a regular game Mythic means superpowers, and that GMs need to step up their game as far as encounters and monsters are concerned. But in this setting +2 swords won't be growing on trees, so I'm wondering if maybe the playing field will be a bit more level if I introduce Mythic as an alternative to the loot game?

Chaosvii7
2014-09-27, 06:44 PM
I approve wholeheartedly.

avr
2014-09-27, 08:49 PM
The mythic rules boost spellcasters more than mundanes, and low magic items have the same effect. So, this really, really hurts the mundane characters.

If you're not OK with that it might be worth making the mythic rules only for the mundane characters, or else making magic a substitute for technology and so magic items more available.