PDA

View Full Version : Gaming Groups, and the starting thereof. Help, please?

D20ragon
2014-09-27, 10:56 PM
Salutations, everyone.
You all know me as D20ragon, but, surprisingly, I do exist outside of the Interwebs.
In my human form, I'm a young humanoid who recently moved to New Orleans along with a small portion of my family and would like to set up a gaming group.
So I made this thread, hoping someone would have advice on how to go about this.

If I really have no feasible way to set this up, perhaps someone would be willing to try a skype group or something?

TandemChelipeds
2014-09-27, 10:59 PM
Who's D20ragon?

D20ragon
2014-09-27, 11:02 PM
An overtired writer who frequents the recruitment subforum and runs way to many games at once.

Nagash
2014-09-27, 11:07 PM
Salutations, everyone.
You all know me as D20ragon, but, surprisingly, I do exist outside of the Interwebs.
In my human form, I'm a young humanoid who recently moved to New Orleans along with a small portion of my family and would like to set up a gaming group.
So I made this thread, hoping someone would have advice on how to go about this.

If I really have no feasible way to set this up, perhaps someone would be willing to try a skype group or something?

I like meetup.com, lots of cities have gaming groups already and I've always had good luck with it.

I suppose you could always go to whatever public games happen in your area though ( i never have, i detest gaming in public places) and make a few friends and see if any of them would like a more private game.

Red Fel
2014-09-28, 12:29 PM
I like meetup.com, lots of cities have gaming groups already and I've always had good luck with it.

I suppose you could always go to whatever public games happen in your area though ( i never have, i detest gaming in public places) and make a few friends and see if any of them would like a more private game.

Seconding MeetUp. Most cities, particularly larger ones and state capitals, will have existing tabletop social circles. If you can't find a MeetUp group, you can usually find a gaming store that serves as the hub of tabletop activity and social life.

In an ideal world, I'd recommend building a table out of your existing friends. (Not literally building a table out of them, that would be both illegal and unsightly, but figuratively speaking.) If you're new in town, however, this might not be an option, and joining an existing table might be a better choice. Searching MeetUp or hanging out at the local store is a good way to learn who's playing what.

I'd advise you not to join an existing group as a GM unless they specifically want one. (In which case, you'd be a godsend and quite possibly adored. Just a little.) Generally, I find it better to join an existing group as a player, learn the ropes and earn their respect, and then offer to run a game if they're interested.

If you start a new group, of course, sky's the limit. Start as GM, since you're starting the thing up, and basically pick out players from those you've befriended. It's best to have at least some personal familiarity with the players, so that you don't wind up accidentally inviting a complete psycho to your table - that's what the game store hangout is for.

JusticeZero
2014-09-28, 06:07 PM
Most gaming in New Orleans is out of Plus 1 Gaming, in Metairie. (It's accessable by bus, if you don't mind switching to the JET at Cemetaries - that makes it a bit more annoyingly expensive.) I haven't seen much else in the area - there's a GW in Riverbend, but that's just minis. I haven't found a game myself because I have nowhere to host one. (I've tossed out various offers to run one, but the lack of a place is always an issue.) While i'd expect a gaming club on a campus, the one I go to lacks one and I don't have the energy to jump through the hoops needed to start one.

D20ragon
2014-09-28, 08:00 PM
Yeah, +1 does seem like the place to be. Maybe I'll drive down there again. I went once, to pick up shadowrun, but that's it.