PDA

View Full Version : Got a question about Forgotten realms? Ask here

CyberThread
2014-09-27, 11:10 PM
HEy, am pretty neck deep with Forgotten realms, old lore, current lore, and some hints that have been talked about. Afro ran the old 3.5 thread dealing with this subject, but am happy to continue on and fill in the gaps for folks, who are new to the setting and as it is now the default setting for this edition :)

AmbientRaven
2014-09-28, 02:13 AM
Hey!

I've Played BG 1 & 2, Neverwinter Nights 1-2 and Icewind Dale 1-2.
I'm playing a campaign that is played durng"... the Forgotten Realms at the height of its glory. Drawing on the 3rd Edition Forgotten Realms campaign setting as its primary inspiration...".

Would you be able to recommend a good source of information for this time that i can read up on before the campaign starts?

CyberThread
2014-09-28, 02:50 AM
Ask your dm where you are starting first andwhat important factors may be involved.

AmbientRaven
2014-09-28, 03:43 AM
North of Moonsea in a DM created town is aboutt he most accurate we are being told

CyberThread
2014-09-28, 11:11 AM
Good starting place for basic lore.

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Moonsea

You are probably dealing with Zhentil Keep, which is on the northernish side of it.

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Zhentarim

Naanomi
2014-09-28, 11:42 AM
What was the status of Waukeen during the 4e Era?

CyberThread
2014-09-28, 12:28 PM
She is a Goddess, returned from the abyess, somewhere just during the cusp of the 3rd edition starting.

Nothing really comes from it more, she has no major interactions or powerplays during the 4e period.

BigONotation
2014-09-28, 12:30 PM
What keeps/temples to Tempus are there throughout the Realms? Having a hard time finding them.

CyberThread
2014-09-28, 12:39 PM
What keeps/temples to Tempus are there throughout the Realms? Having a hard time finding them.

He is widely worshiped, but more through battle then silent prayer.

You have http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Abbey_of_the_Sword , which is dedicated to when he first showed up in the realms.

Has a reasonable sized worship in icewind dale. While no real central authority is given as the church is rather decentralized, it is safe to assume, that the god is worshiped in most large cities and areas of war. He is your typical god of war that anyone who drew a blade would atlest pay respects towards, much like a sailor would towards Umberlee.

Naanomi
2014-09-28, 01:33 PM
She is a Goddess, returned from the abyess, somewhere just during the cusp of the 3rd edition starting.

Nothing really comes from it more, she has no major interactions or powerplays during the 4e period.
The loss of her realm (shared with dieties from other planes) and moving in with Aumanator didn't adjust her loyalties or anything?

CyberThread
2014-09-28, 01:36 PM
The loss of her realm (shared with dieties from other planes) and moving in with Aumanator didn't adjust her loyalties or anything?

Nope, she is still N

4e really lacked published details, unless you start digging through the books. An other then one book detailing wukeens stone, it really didn't have any significance as far as stuff that matters on a setting level.

The simplification of FR during 4e put a heavy vice as far as lore creation, that isn't part of a paperback book .

INDYSTAR188
2014-09-28, 02:09 PM
Whats the deal with the returned dietes? Bhaal and Myrkul specifically, I knew Mystra was going to be coming back but those two kind of took me off guard. I wonder what their relationship to Kelemvor is?

CyberThread
2014-09-28, 02:17 PM
Whats the deal with the returned dietes? Bhaal and Myrkul specifically, I knew Mystra was going to be coming back but those two kind of took me off guard. I wonder what their relationship to Kelemvor is?

Fan Favorites, part of the general reset of the entire setting. No more known data has been told yet. The only reason we know for a fact they are back besides a few comments from the folks designing 5e dnd, is because of the player handbook god lists.

One thing to denote, one is a god of death, kelemvor is the god of the dead.

Ill rephrase that, one of the dead three, was part of the beta testing adventures. I don't know much more as I didin't play in that.

neovenator250
2014-09-28, 02:58 PM
What are some primordial beings or entities within the Forgotten Realms canon that could be candidates for a Great Ole One Warlock pact?

CyberThread
2014-09-28, 03:11 PM
What are some primordial beings or entities within the Forgotten Realms canon that could be candidates for a Great Ole One Warlock pact?

For that particular one, you mesh some planerscape stuff, and it gets a bit of a jumble. I think a better end of this would be the Abeloths they gain a very heavy far realms feel, especially due to the books that were published during the 4e time period, that gave them http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Xxiphu this. Which is very nasty as far as what could be entailed.

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Eldest This guy is actually based on Cthulhu.

Ghaunadaur, who is the god of slimes has some potential.

Scots Dragon
2014-09-28, 03:11 PM

Moander is the best bet. Also notable is Ilsensine the mind flayer goddess.

CyberThread
2014-09-28, 03:17 PM
Moander is the best bet. \

Except the part where he/it was dead, and Lloth took over the worshipers of his.

Falka
2014-09-28, 04:19 PM

Dendar the Night Serpent who is worshipped by yuan-ti is a good example of an Old One entity. You could also use Ghanandaur (even though he's a god, his theme is very Cthlhu-esque), Dagon, or some obyrith lords (like Pale Night).

Falka
2014-09-28, 04:22 PM

After the Sundering, Ao recreates the Tables of Fate. This means that he restores some of the gods killed by the Spellplague events.

Bhaal had a contingency in case his Bhaalspawn plan didn't work, which is revealed in a D&D Next module: Murder in Baldur's Gate.

neovenator250
2014-09-28, 04:49 PM
Dendar the Night Serpent who is worshipped by yuan-ti is a good example of an Old One entity. You could also use Ghanandaur (even though he's a god, his theme is very Cthlhu-esque), Dagon, or some obyrith lords (like Pale Night).

Dendar was really the one I was thinking about, but that's partially because I didn't know much about any potential others. Still like her, but it was interesting to read about the other possibilities

Socko525
2014-09-28, 05:50 PM
I'm going to be playing a game following the HotDQ campaign and I'm vaguely familiar with FR.

Without any real spoilers is there anything I should read, (articles, novels, etc) to prep myself? I listened to the free Drizz't compilation released by Audible and read all the Cutter comics, but I'm game for anything else out there.

My DM also doesn't know much outside whats in the prewritten campaign book, so anything he should look into?

CyberThread
2014-09-28, 07:06 PM
I'm going to be playing a game following the HotDQ campaign and I'm vaguely familiar with FR.

Without any real spoilers is there anything I should read, (articles, novels, etc) to prep myself? I listened to the free Drizz't compilation released by Audible and read all the Cutter comics, but I'm game for anything else out there.

My DM also doesn't know much outside whats in the prewritten campaign book, so anything he should look into?

If both of you know nothing, don't pollute or ruin what to expect, just play what is in the books :)

Dralnu
2014-09-28, 08:51 PM
Cyberthread! Thank you for answering my previous questions. I have so many more!

1) Any published info on Port Nyranzanu other than the short blurb in the 4e campaign setting and Jungles of Chult? What are the major trading companies in there? Any notable people?

2) Sarrukh are supposedly waking up the ancient yuan-ti kingdom Serpentes? Anything come from that?

3) Actually, any good books on Chult at all? The FR wiki / 4e campaign setting / Jungles of Chult is too little!

4) Is there any god of dreams, or god of nightmares?

5) Favorite FR novel? Most recommended novel for FR virgins?

Emongnome777
2014-09-28, 09:04 PM
The Battle of Emridy Meadow is a 5th level Greyhawk adventure in Dungeon 221. Any and all advice on how to convert this to a Forgotten Realms adventure would be helpful. It's not easily converted if you aren't well-versed in FR (which I'm not).

Right now, I just started running characters through the Starter Set adventure, which will leave them around 5th level. Would love to follow up with this adventure, but without heavy alteration (to at least the names of the different factions / nations), it just won't be FR.

Thanks!

Chambers
2014-09-28, 10:04 PM

Battle Chapel (Highcastle)
Battlehall (Zhentil Keep)
Gloryhall (Halfhap)
Hall of Warriors (Luskan)
High House of Swords and Banners (Ormpetarr)
Spear Rock (Wyvernhunt)
Swordpoint Shrine (Essembra)
Swordspoint Hall (Berdusk)
The Abbey of the Sword (Battledale)
The Arms House (Calimport)
The Beacon of Battle (Calimport)
The Hand that Swings the Sword (Elturel)
The High Hall of Swords (Mulmaster)
The House of Glory (Tantras)
The House of Heroes (Waterdeep)
The House of Swords (Glister)
The House of the Helm (Voonlar)
The House of War (Raven's Bluff)
The Old Sharp Sword (Hill's Edge)
The Shine of Crossed Swords (Scardale)
The Shrine of Swords (Archenbridge)
The Table of the Sword (Daggerford)
The Towers of the Vengeful Hand (Eshpurta)
The Vault of Swords (Hillsfar)

4) Is there any god of dreams, or god of nightmares?

Sehanine Moonbow is the Elven goddess of Dreams. Dendar is an Elder Evil (2nd Ed/3.5) and/or Primordial (4e) who is related to Nightmares.

Reisa
2014-09-28, 10:22 PM

The Great Old One warlock pact fits well with anything from the Far Realms. Apparently, all sorts of Lovecraftian nightmares exist in and around the Sea of Fallen Stars, including Aboleths that swim through the air and snatch sailors right off their ships.

An example is given in Brimstone Angels of people being corrupted by the Aboleth Supremacy which seems to have functioned like a Warlock pact. Was quite Old One-esque, what with the people (and not-people) going insane.

There are a lot of 'strange' monsters that would be considered for Old One pacts too. Myconids, Beholders, even possibly phaerimm.

Scots Dragon
2014-09-29, 01:31 AM
\

Except the part where he/it was dead, and Lloth took over the worshipers of his.

I'm of the impression that Forgotten Realms gods are only ever as dead as the story requires them to be, and tend to have lasting echo-type influence on the world long after their death. Whether this is by way of various other deities having usurped their worshippers, or the fact that they can often return to life by some method later on, or the fact that Bhaal retained some distant beyond-the-grave influence with some of his remaining followers (made explicit in Ed Greenwood Presents Elminster's Forgotten Realms) death is hardly a permanent status for deities.

Falka
2014-09-29, 02:17 AM
I'm of the impression that Forgotten Realms gods are only ever as dead as the story requires them to be, and tend to have lasting echo-type influence on the world long after their death. Whether this is by way of various other deities having usurped their worshippers, or the fact that they can often return to life by some method later on, or the fact that Bhaal retained some distant beyond-the-grave influence with some of his remaining followers (made explicit in Ed Greenwood Presents Elminster's Forgotten Realms) death is hardly a permanent status for deities.

That is partially true, but Moander did permanently died after Fynder Wyvernsur's fight with his remanining physical form. He absorbed his divine essence shortly after and turned his portfolio into renovation and cleansing.

A dead power isn't the same as a dead god. Dead powers can revive, dead gods can't unless Ao intervenes.

Nibnob
2014-09-29, 12:30 PM
I am creating a character for our upcoming Hoard of the Dragon Queen game and thought about playing a monk. While researching for my character's backstory and his origin in the realms I stumbled upon the Monastery of the Yellow Rose and kind of liked the idea to make him a member of the monastery, who is asked to travel to Greenest to talk to Leosin Erlanthar (who once brought my character to the monastery to become a monk, and so on).
Since I really like to get into detail in these things: How would you travel from the Monastery to Greenest if you knew you should not waste too much time? I think the way is pretty obvious once you reach Westgate by boat, but what would be the closest waypoint from the monastery? Depending on which map you use, the monastery seems to either be closer to Valls and Helgaba, then again the 3rd Edition Map implies it would be easier to cross the Glacier of the White Worm (if possible) and head to Mulmaster. On another source I read about mining dwarf folk within the mountains - if there were a path through the Earthspur Mountains (maybe through the mining shafts and settlements of the shield dwarves), I could exit them in The Vast, head to Calaunt and depart from there, but it seems to be an inconveniently long journey through the mountains.

So, great Sages of the Realms, how would you do it, if you were a Level 1 Monk on a seemingly diplomatic mission. And furthermore, what is your guess on how long it would take? Can it be done within a month (with mostly mundane travel options)?

Since neither the players in my party nor the dm are too deep into Realms Lore this won't play that big of a role at the table, but I tend to like my backstories logical and well rounded. Thanks in advance!

Reisa
2014-09-29, 06:39 PM
That is partially true, but Moander did permanently died after Fynder Wyvernsur's fight with his remanining physical form. He absorbed his divine essence shortly after and turned his portfolio into renovation and cleansing.

A dead power isn't the same as a dead god. Dead powers can revive, dead gods can't unless Ao intervenes.

It's complicated how deities work in Forgotten Realms. Oftentimes, 'dead' deities answering worshippers aren't the deities themselves, but the gods or goddesses that have assumed their portfolio.

It's ironic that this action may in fact be what keeps the deceased gods from otherwise dissolving. Cyric impersonated Lleira for a while, Shar impersonated some sort of cavern deity, etc.

Bane survived by building a seed out of his son, Iyatchtu Xvim, which was basically a copycat of what Bhaal tried to do as well. Myrkul hid his essence all over the place, such as in the Crown of Horns, and also used certain curses to keep himself going by forcing people to remember him. You even meet Myrkul's godly corpse in Mask of the Betrayer, and he's still kicking enough to offer a conversation, at least.

But even in the 3rd edition campaign setting, there was enough embers around for Bhaal, Leira, and even Amuanator to grant some followers spells (though this could just be the deities impersonating their portfolios).

hymer
2014-10-01, 12:05 PM
Are there any official explanations or theories on why Anauroch keeps growing?

Edit: As I understand it, the area is no longer a desert since the Shadovar returned and dealt with it, so perhaps that should have been in the past tense. But still, why did it keep expanding?

Dralnu
2014-10-02, 06:08 PM
The FR 4e Campaign Guide mentions junglemotes on Chult.

Junglemotes are common in Chult. Some are populated with creatures alien and awful in aspect—entities not native to Chult, or at least absent since before the time Abeir and Toril went their separate ways.

Any idea what these creatures are? If they've never been explained, any suggestions on what they can be in my homebrew?

Reisa
2014-10-02, 07:03 PM
Are there any official explanations or theories on why Anauroch keeps growing?

Edit: As I understand it, the area is no longer a desert since the Shadovar returned and dealt with it, so perhaps that should have been in the past tense. But still, why did it keep expanding?

I believe it was due to the phaerimm, who are lovecraftian magic-eaters, draining the life in the desert. They were apparently the primary foe of ancient Netheril before Karsis cornholed the world. When Shade returned, one of their first orders of business were to kill the rest of them, and now they're actively using their magicks to return the desert back to what it was before they left.