PDA

View Full Version : Level 3 druid, 32-point buy optimization

Gardakan
2014-09-28, 01:47 AM
Hi guys. I'll be joining a session tomorrow with some old mates.

Just wanted some last thoughts on this druid build.

Human druid level 3

32 points-buy

STR : 10 DEX : 10 CON : 16 INT : 14 WIS : 16 CHA : 10

Animal companion wolf

Feats : 1 - Spell focus (Conjuration) / Augment summoning
3 - Greenbound summoning

Spells : 0 - Cure minor wound x 2 - Detect magic x 2
1 - Lessor Vigor x 3
2- Snake's swiftness, mass x 2

Basically, I'm using a level 2 spell to summon 1d3 wolf.

Here's the stats of the wolves I'm summoning with AS and GB

Wolf : 21 HP
AC 21 (+ 3 Dex, + 8 natural)
Bite : + 8 (1d6+6)
Speed : 50 feet (10 cases)
Trip : If it lands a succesful melee attack, he can try to make a free tip attempt on the target.

(+ 11 grapple check) (Trip : - 4 on melee roll, - 4 AC against melee attacks, movement action to get up)
10 damage reduction/magic-slashing
10 energy resist against cold and electricity - Heal 3

Spells (DC 8) at-will entangle (it's the only spell i'll make them cast)

So the point is to make the charge the enemy and to land a basic attack, then to make them trip. Rinse and repeat. A bit of sustain with Lessor Vigor as a second healer for my team.

sleepyphoenixx
2014-09-28, 02:07 AM
I'd personally throw out SF:Conjuration and Augment Summoning and get Ashbound and Companion Spellbond instead. You lose 1 damage on your summons but gain double duration and +1 attack, and Share Spells becomes a lot more usable with the increased range.

You should have the cash at level 3 to get a wand of Lesser Vigor. Spend your first level slots on Entangle and Produce Flame (share it with your AC) instead.
Your summons can cast Entangle, but there are times when you want to get it off before the enemy has a chance to close. Since summoning takes 1 round that can be a problem sometimes.

The Riding Dog is basically a wolf, only with +2 Str and +2 NA. I'd trade it in unless you want the wolf for fluff reasons.

eggynack
2014-09-28, 02:07 AM
First, you should exchange the wolf for a riding dog. Basically the same sort of thing, except almost strictly better. Second, it's not something you have to change, but I tend to prefer something that isn't augment summoning out of core. It's two whole feats for a rather marginal, yet definitely solid, sort of bonus. Maybe swap one for ashbound, and another for natural bond. That's a whole lot of gained value, I think. Third, your stats are a bit wonky. You should probably dump strength and dexterity even more than you are now, down to 8's. Maybe drop charisma the rest of the way too, if you're not really using it, and put the excess points into wisdom.

Finally. your spell list is decent, but it could use some editing. I'd advise mixing a create water in with your other orisons, because it's awesome, and you should also drop all of the lesser vigors in favor of a wand of said spell, possibly along with one of the copies of mass snake's swiftness. For the firsts, you're already getting entangle from the wolves, so maybe mix things up a little on that end with a setup like impeding stones (City, 66), wall of smoke (SpC, 235), and maybe for the third spell something not combat oriented, like spiderhand (BoVD, 104) or omen of peril (SpC, 149). As for the second, it's just a generally good idea to have a copy of kelpstrand (SpC, 128) or blinding spittle (SpC, 34), because they're great spells.

That about covers it, I think. It's worth note that RAW doesn't really support the direct summons control that you're planning, at least without language (though ironically, that'd lead to the summons doing even more powerful stuff like wall of thorns), and, as was the case in the last thread, my handbook should cover most of the stuff I didn't mention in this post if you're interested.

ace rooster
2014-09-28, 12:44 PM
Looks solid enough to me. You might want to switch out the wolf, as has been mentioned, but there is no guarentee that your DM will let it a riding dog be "war trained" (horses are not) so it might not get the trip attack. Ashbound would give them a slightly better attack (+1), but I would be using a rod of extend spell anyway, and augment summoning makes their trip better. It also does not get into problems with feat fluff, specifically about wanting to burn civilisation to the ground (hence the name). Many DMs would ignore the fluff, but some would not.
With regards to abilities, I might go the other way to the rest of the people. I would probably drop con to 14, and boost charisma to 14. Handle animal is going to be important for you, and diplomacy is a class skill too. 6 ranks, +2 from a masterwork tool, and you get to that magic modifier of +10, meaning you can take 10 and war train domestic animals. With a d8 hit dice and a good fort save you are not going to miss that extra +1 too much. It is not as if you are going to be want to be in combat. Dropping str and dex would probably be ok, but will hurt till level 6. You are not going to see much benefit from a boosted wis if you are summoning anyway.

I'm a bit funny like that though, and prefer my characters to be a bit compromised in terms of pure min maxing to broaden their repetoir a bit.

As for spells I would second produce flame. If you get a rod of extend spell then it gets you 6 ranged touch attacks at d6+3 damage. It is also a reason not to dump dex too hard.

Gardakan
2014-09-28, 01:39 PM
I don't have the gold to buy a lesser extending spell rod for the moment (only having 2700 gp at the start).

I can cast 3 spells from level 1 and 2 spells from level 2...

I'm aware produce flame is good.

Why I'm taking a wolf, it's pretty simple, I need someone to give directions to my summoned wolves (link with the animal companion) and I'm not willing to cast speak with animals. My main goal is to summon 1d3 wolves enhance with the two feats I'm taking, then just sending them to combat and do some damage while tripping enemies onto the ground. Then, they'll wait for them to get back on their feet (opportunity) or watch them fight while being down to te ground.

Ashbound, I can't take it, we're playing in forgotten realms, not Eberron.

eggynack
2014-09-28, 01:47 PM
Why I'm taking a wolf, it's pretty simple, I need someone to give directions to my summoned wolves (link with the animal companion) and I'm not willing to cast speak with animals. My main goal is to summon 1d3 wolves enhance with the two feats I'm taking, then just sending them to combat and do some damage while tripping enemies onto the ground. Then, they'll wait for them to get back on their feet (opportunity) or watch them fight while being down to te ground.
I think you're thinking of wizards and their familiars here. The druid's link with their animal companion only lets you handle it with significantly greater proficiency, and that doesn't include complex orders. You would also need speak with plants rather than speak with animals, cause greenbound. Really, your best bet is to just summon the things, and they'll attack to the best of their ability, as is the way of summons.

Gardakan
2014-09-28, 03:49 PM
I think you're thinking of wizards and their familiars here. The druid's link with their animal companion only lets you handle it with significantly greater proficiency, and that doesn't include complex orders. You would also need speak with plants rather than speak with animals, cause greenbound. Really, your best bet is to just summon the things, and they'll attack to the best of their ability, as is the way of summons.

My wolf companion is Large size. Wolf will always follow the biggest one as a wolfpack.

My DM gave me reason on this logic. That's why I'm having a wold as an animal companion.

eggynack
2014-09-28, 04:08 PM
My wolf companion is Large size. Wolf will always follow the biggest one as a wolfpack.

My DM gave me reason on this logic. That's why I'm having a wold as an animal companion.
I'm not really sure how you got to a large sized wolf companion, but in any case, that's not the issue with your chain of command. The companion wolf can presumably command the other wolves just fine, but the issue is that your ability to command the companion wolf is necessarily imperfect. Even if you try out a follow the leader command method, which seems a bit infeasible within the complexity of combat, that still wouldn't cover greenbound unique cases like the use of entangle. In essence, there is no handle animal command that can tell your animal companion to command your summons in a way that would be tactically significant.