PDA

View Full Version : Multiclassing rules for Warlocks.

Aramis Rhett
2014-09-28, 03:20 AM
I just thought, is there a way around the "Mystic Arcanum" mechanic by multiclassing as Warlock/Other or by Other/Warlock? Only have limited access to the PHB and it is killing me to know whether or not this is the case, because if it is, I will multiclass Warlock any day of the week.

Aramis Rhett
2014-09-28, 03:24 AM
I know I wouldn't get more spell slots above 7th level, but I'd have choices other than ONE SPELL when I did cast something 7th level or higher.

Graustein
2014-09-28, 03:50 AM
Mystic Arcanum doesn't interact with or use spell slots, it just gives you this 1/day ability to cast a given Warlock Spell, so it doesn't appear as though you can use it with multiclass spell slots.

Edit: The issue is moot, since neither 6th level spell slots nor Mystic Arcanum come online until level 11, so it's impossible to have a character with enough levels in both Warlock and Other Caster for the two features to interact anyway

Aramis Rhett
2014-09-28, 04:10 AM
Well sh*t. Disappointed in self. Embarrassed that I willingly posted it. Should have know better than to do the dance of the internet after 36 hours of no sleep. ROFL@self

Graustein
2014-09-28, 04:25 AM
No worries, I only noticed when I was looking up the exact wording of Mystic Arcanum and noticed it was a lvl 11 feature and went "hmmmm" :smalltongue:

Daishain
2014-09-28, 07:54 AM
Yeah, sadly enough, the Warlock is the only full spellcaster that doesn't multiclass reasonably well with other spellcasters.

I had the details worked out for a tome pact great old one warlock 6 / abjurer 14 build at one point. Great abilities that meshed together well, a diverse array of at will cantrips, and a compelling story as a character studying traditional arcane magic for a means to break away from his pact before it claimed his sanity, or worse. I had even been planning to ask the DM to let me use the pact tome for one copy of the wizard spells.

Unfortunately, when I thought to double check the fine print, unlike multiclassing wizard with literally any other spellcaster, multiclassing wizard with warlock doesn't advance the former's spell slots at all, meaning I'd have to give up on both 8th and 9th level spells, and badly delay the lower level ones. Not quite a deal breaker, but it sure as heck killed my enthusiasm.