PDA

View Full Version : Troubles in Ilia (IC)

Lerriano
2014-09-28, 09:03 AM
Here's the In Character thread, all character dialogue in here, and all dice rolls in the Out of Character (OOC) thread here:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?374119-Troubles-in-Ilia-(OOC)

Intro - The Mooching Dragon

The Mooching Dragon Inn is one of Torctassa's many watering-holes, known for its fantastic music nights and broad range of pale ales. You have come in from the still, warm evening air to see the latest visiting minstrel to grace the bar, a Lizardfolk guitarist called 'El Molesto', famous bard of such tales as 'I Love My Donkey Eugene' and 'My Water-Clock'.

More troubling, however, is that there is talk that the streets are increasingly unsafe places to be at night. Whilst the guardsmen of the city are trained Paladins and Inquisitors, there appears to be a growing dissent in the slums. Tales of the dive-bar known as the 'Swinging Succubus' being burned to the ground are all that many folk talk about. With the loss of their traditional meeting point, it appears that the 'scum and villainy' of the city have spread out...

But for now, the dozy strumming of the Lizardman and his prehensile-tail guitar playing accompanies the gleeful revelry of the patrons.

ColKerensky
2014-10-06, 02:09 PM
Arien huddled outside the door. The hooded traveller's costume concealed his ears, but little could conceal his thin, elongated frame and he did not care for too much human interest when not performing. The monocultural plump stolidness of humans put his hackles up, and as ever after Roderick's castle he sought what escape routes he could. A mysterious summons always sounded like a trap, and working for so long beyond the masters of the guild made him wary of their power. The tower loomed so against the harvest, giving it the aspect of a great eye on a stalk... and Arien didn't care one copper penny for the idea of being watched.

The looming bulk of a patrol of watchmen made Arien's mind for him, and he entered the bar with a quiet caution. He lowered his hood, making open hand gestures, trying to seem as unthreatening as possible, He moved with a certain grace to avoid other patrons, before reaching the bar.

He tried to direct the barkeepers attention, bowing lowly, and proffering a small purse of silver.

"I am called Arien, but many know me as Zoltarn the Mysterious, ancient scion of the high order. While I require lodging I offer you MYSTERY and ILLUSION, a performance of my magical art if you will let me stay some few nights."

He ended this display by pulling a bunch of flowers from his sleeve and offering them to a serving maid, hoping by invoking Zoltarn and acting as a harmless stage magician to alleviate any concerns.

Lerriano
2014-10-06, 04:55 PM
The barmaid raises and eyebrow and takes the flowers suspiciously before going back to serving the drinks. Despite his attempts to disguise his ears, his elven appearance is one she's familiar with. The barman snorts his reply.

Ain't got no need of a magician 'ere. But I'll serve ye a drink and a room. Not got nothin' 'gainst you Pointies in 'ere. Even got a Scaly on music duty.

El Molesto, as his hand-painted banner names him, nods in mid-melody. He seems content to provide background music to the inn rather than sing along, but some of the patrons are singing of a donkey and a water-clock. Unlike the other places in the city, the tables contain a mixture of races, probably due to the proximity to the market.

The Mooching Dragon is unusually tolerant. As Arien has come to note, the Human capital has an acute sense of exclusivity that many of the provincial towns were free from. Torctassa, with its encircling city wall in the shadow of the mighty tower, is a forbidding place even from a distance. Once inside, any outsider is under constant suspicion of being some sort of crook or villain, followed or watched at every juncture in their business. The foreigners' marketplace Arien has visited contained no fewer than seven diligent paladins bearing a flying white dove on their armour.

Feel free to make knowledge checks relating to any of this for more information.

The barman waits patiently for a drinks order.

ColKerensky
2014-10-07, 06:09 PM
I'll take the house ale and a packet of nuts Arien declared, trying to ignore the strong scent of beer that still put his sensitive elven senses on edge. But it was better than play up to stereotypes.

Carrying over the drink, nuts and his haversackhe found a quiet table corner. Opening his haversack he let a blue parrot climb out slowly, before offering it some nuts

Now behave Othello, no troubling making for you! Arien said pointedly, waiting for the parrot to nod an assent before the bird started to scoop up the nuts. Arien took his time to get a bearing and try and work out what kind of people would be so tolerant.

Lerriano
2014-10-07, 07:08 PM
The beer has a rich flavour to it, even tasting a little like honey. It's extremely easy to drink and, to an unwise patron, could easily drain a pocket. Probably why the tankard bears a logo for 'Goldbeer'.

In the bar there appears to be a fairly odd mixture of people from some old human men playing cards, some other younger humans listening to the bard in the corner, a satyr having a spirited attempt to chat up a human girl. In the corner there is a cloaked figure sitting alone.

A Paladin sits down at the table and raises his tankard, smashing it into Arien's and spilling a fair portion of both.

Cheers! Welcome to Torctassa!

He proceeds to down the remainder of his pint and slams the cup down. Then he offers a hand to shake.

Paladin Jim! Nice to see a pointy in town every once in a while! Must make a change from that dingy old forest of yours! Tell me, is it true that elven lasses have great dexterity? (he winks) Never had an elf, always curious though.

In a boisterous and hopefully harmless gesture he winks and slaps Arien in the shoulder, grabbing a nut and feeding it to the parrot.

ColKerensky
2014-10-18, 04:05 PM
Arien attempted to furtively check for an exit, but the firm grip of the Paladin holds him in place. Instead he sought to flow like water from the grip and hide his unease with more gold beer. Resisting the temptation to create an elfmaid illusion that might distract the fearsome paladin.

I am honoured by your kindness. Truly I am blessed to leave the dirty forests. Torctassa is truly a blessing to us other folks to see how a mighty civilisation lives, free of trees and muck. I am sure an Elf lady would be lucky to have your company, though how can you tell? We all look so womanly, isn't that right Othello?

The parrot turned and hopped over, enjoying the nut before squawking Silly Elves. All look like girls. Othello wantsa nut!

Lerriano
2014-10-18, 04:28 PM
The Paladin laughs heartily at the awkwardness of the wizard.

Oh don't be so downbeat about your homeland, my friend! This city's got far more problems than a few orc rabbles and a dense forest canopy! All sorts end up in this place, and most of them are neither lawful nor good. Now we've got this redcaps nonsense carping on across the mountain villages it's even more important to keep tabs on things!

He takes another swig of ale before staring intently for a few seconds. Whilst it's not completely clear what he's up to, Arien knows full well that Paladins have a habit of checking for evil auras. After a brief pause he continues.

Feel free to roll for a knowledge check about 'the redcaps nonsense' up and above the rumours you'd have picked up that were mainly 'civil unrest'

As for those elf girls, I hear all sorts. But enough of the lewdness! What on all the planes brings a classy point like yourself all the way to the terrible bars of the Human capital? Hey barkeep, bring us another!

ColKerensky
2014-10-18, 05:23 PM
[roll0] Knowledge test for redcaps

I'm sure its nothing you and your fellow Paladins can't cope with? Is there any danger for a humble pointy magician like myself? I have no desire to find trouble. I seek to meet with the guild, I have been a message that there is a sorcerer there who would speak with me, unworthy as I am. And no, no you are two kind....

Lerriano
2014-10-18, 06:02 PM
It's not a great roll, and having just checked your character's knowledge ranks, I'm not sure arcana or linguistics will help. Please see the OOC for details.

The paladin looks thoughtful.

A sorcerer, eh? Well that'd be mage business, I'll be more than happy to accompany you up to the college in the morning!

The barmaid comes around with a fresh tankard and the paladin naturally foots the bill with a couple of coins, a charming wink to Arien and a significantly less charming slap to the girl's rear.

Oooh you cheeky paladins! Ain't that against the rules of your fraternity?! I should report you to the gods, I should!

A bit of friendly slap and tickle is well within the law and you're damn good as far as I can see!

She shakes her head smiling (for Jim does appear to be rugged and manly, especially when sitting next to a rather spindly elven wizard). He turns back to Arien.

As for those troubles? You'd be surprised. There's only about a hundred Paladins trying to marshal the damn civvy army, and those poor bastards wouldn't know the pointy end of a sword if it made a kebab of 'em. And that's on top of all the crap we've got to clear up after the 'succubus' got burned down. Having evil in one place sure made life easier...

Another slight pause before he breaks out into a wide grin.

Round two! Are you looking for anyone in particular?

ColKerensky
2014-10-21, 05:05 PM
Well now you come to mention it... Arien said, savouring the drink and beginning to feel more comfortable since the Paladin did not seem to be actively trying to hurt him and he no longer felt trapped at the table I was told to seek out a sorcerer by the name of Stardust. I hope that is a wise idea as I know so little of your fine capital. I would very grateful for any help, since I lack the constitution of the noble human for adventure

sylvashadowolf
2014-10-22, 03:21 PM
On hearing the name "Stardust", another of the Mooching Dragon's patrons begins to take a noticeable interest in the conversation. Ellia the Vanquisher, seated just a couple of tables over, tries to remain inconspicuous, but it's a talent the 6'5" lizardwoman has somehow never quite mastered.

Lerriano
2014-10-22, 05:21 PM
Overhearing the only Tassan name that she knows of (with the exception of the Erboril, Dorian Peacemaster, of course...), Ellia tries her best to listen in and blend in simultaneously. Thankfully the Paladin is so raucous that it seems the entire bar is trying to avoid listening in.

The Paladin smiles broadly and winks at the elf.

Stardust, eh? Well I know a guy who knows a guy! He pauses eagerly as though it's the set up of a joke, which to most humans it would be, and seems oblivious to the cultural divide between elvish and human humour. Just after the pause flies beautifully past the awkward mark, he coughs and continues more seriously.

Oh, forgot you probably don't get 'I know a guy' jokes in elfland. No worries! Yes, I know a man by the name 'Stardust'. But I wouldn't call him a sorcerer as such. He's a librarian up at the Mage's Guild. You'd need a pretty good reference to get in there though. Guarded by magic, paladins and nestled right by the tower! If you like I can take you up there tomorrow?

He suddenly notices the great bulk of the lizardfolk at a nearby table and waves a hand.

Hey! Scales! (similarly offensive to 'pointy', but due to the intimidating sight of a six-foot lizard racism is far less belligerent towards the lizardfolk) How about you come on over! Let's all have an 'outsiders' table!

HuskyBoi
2014-10-23, 01:17 AM
A glass is set down decisively on the table next to paladin Jim.

"How fortunate," Seliriel chimes in."I'm going to meet with Stardust myself tomorrow. He must be very popular right now! I wonder what all the interest is..."

She sits down straight-backed at the table. With her red silk robes, fine sword and many gold-and-jade jewels, she seems every bit the aristocrat. She's no need to be worried about thieves. After all, there's a paladin at hand to help deter troublemakers.

"Why do you all need to find Stardust?"

Lerriano
2014-10-23, 05:17 PM
The Paladin cheers loudly at having another drinking companion.

Well bugger me with my halberd! An elf lass! A breeding pair! What the devil's going on?! All these people going up to see a librarian! Who'd have thought?!

Jim reaches out for a kiss of the hand.

And what a lovely elf-ess she is too! Welcome to Torctassa m'dear! If you're short on a place to kip, I can recommend a lawfully good place to get a hard night's sleep!

Charisma check - [roll0]

He winks in what can best be termed an inappropriate manner, then turns to Arien.

Don't worry big-guy, I'm sure she'd rather flutter off to a tree with a pointy than take her chances with a human!

He takes another drink. In the corner of the room the cloaked figure pads towards the exit. Jim looks over and moves to leave.

Do excuse me, love birds and actual birds! I have some frightfully important Paladin business to attend to! Ta ta, and I'll pick you up first in the morning!

He follows the cloaked figure out of the inn, leaving the two elves and (if she came over to the table) lizardfolk at a single table together.

ColKerensky
2014-10-24, 03:53 PM
Arien looked round awkwardly at the Elf maid next to him and the distant loom of the Lizardfolk. He smiled as broadly as he could, hands open and wide. He felt rather shabby in the stage finery, rather faded and patched. His stage jewellery and dirty dagger made him feel entirely subservient to a 'proper' elf. He lowered his head slightly, taking off his hat as a sign of his lower status.

[language Elvish - with a definite Tassan accent] My lady... I have been told only that I must see him. My travels and humble way as a purveyor of tricks has left me absent from the guild. Do you know anything about this Stardust?

He remained low, awkward of his unsophisticated vows and manner, feeling immensely uncivilised.

HuskyBoi
2014-10-28, 03:26 AM
Seliriel beams internally. It feels good to be addressed as 'my lady' outside her home- finally, some respect! But she must be gracious, for is that not what a true hero would do? And this 'humble trickster' would make a perfect companion to ally with, so that she could make use of his skills. Yes, this would be the perfect opportunity to make a name for herself.

She steels herself to speak with befitting dignity.

"This man, Stardust- I have heard of him. He is an archivist here in Torctassa. I have been sent to find him- but I cannot possibly tell you why. Only that it is a mission of high importance. That is why I was chosen. Yes, for precisely that reason. But we would do well to seek him together. Good sir, it is a pleasure to meet you- I am Seliriel Redleaf, of Meskorra. I am delighted to make your acquaintance"

Manners are so important, for a Lady. She bows her head and extends a hand, gently, to Arien.

ColKerensky
2014-10-29, 06:00 AM
Arien felt concerned by the possibility of a mission of high importance. While this Elf lady might be very powerful, there was no bodyguard or retainers. However they were going to meet just an archivist. What could possibly befall them in the archives?

I am honoured my lady, I am Arien Firebow, of no fixed abode. I would be honoured to be a part of your retinue on this mission.. there are others? Just with the land being so dangerous at the moment you must have some kind of noble man at arms to keep you safe?

Arien looked hopeful, mentally trying to add up the value of her clothes and jewellery to get some idea of the necessary party and the opportunity to be fed on the road.

sylvashadowolf
2014-11-04, 03:29 PM
Ellia, who until now had still been hovering, apparently uncommitted, finally sets her drink on the table and gracelessly lowers herself onto what had been Paladin Jim's seat.

I wish to meet this 'Stardust'. I will come with you. With luck, trouble will not follow, but if it does, I do not intend to let it stay with us for long.

With that, she gives her Earth-Breaker an almost affectionate look, and considers the matter settled.

ColKerensky
2014-11-06, 05:47 PM
Arien shuffled awkwardly in his seat, once again feeling uncomfortably close to someone much stronger and fiercer and once again feeling trapped in the booth. The creature seemed fierce and feral, not the sort to be entertained by cheap tricks. He couldn't help but stare at the large teeth and alien slitted eyes, their predatory nature making a very primitive part of him feel like slipping away. The way the creature moved with such clumsy fixed purposed and seem to caress it's weapon made its childish speech seem chilling. But that childlike nature did offer opportunity to impress. Probably best though to leave negotiations to her ladyship.

Cautiously Arien proffered his hand Arien Firebow, master of mystery

HuskyBoi
2014-11-07, 03:55 AM
"Then it's settled!", Seliriel declares. "We shall drink and rest now, then in the morning we go to meet with Stardust. Barman, bring us more wine!"

Seliriel is happy to spend some time drinking and celebrating a comfortable(ish) place to spend the evening. And now she can finally track down the mysterious 'Stardust'.

Lerriano
2014-11-09, 06:52 PM
The three companions begin to settle into a drinking contest which, for all their elven fortitude, Ellia comfortably wins. The Barman comes over to help the inebriated pointies to a room and Ellia shuffles into a separate one that she had rented upon arrival.

In the morning, and with the help of a fair consumption of water, the trio stumbles back down into the Inn's main area, where the tables are all laid out for a relatively scrumptious breakfast of complimentary eggs and toast, with a variety of fruit juices.

In the corner of the inn sits Paladin Jim with what looks like a word puzzle and a few slices of toast. Sat next to him is a young, weedy looking sidekick who bears the mark of a flying white dove on his tunic. He seems ill-at-ease in the tavern, always looking around as if expecting trouble. When he claps eyes on the pair of elves and huge lizardfolk, he whimpers slightly. Jim looks up from his parchment and toast and slaps the nervous assistant heartily.

Well look who it is! See, Tarquin? I told you we were in for a treat! Now eat some toast for Pelor's sake, and I'll call you when we're leaving!

He pushes his plate in front of the young lad and gets up from the table to greet the party.

Don't mind him, he's an inquisitor in training. About as dangerous as a wet cloth and, by the looks of 'im, as good at inquisiting! Eat some breakfast and then we'll be on our way! Any last questions before we set off?

sylvashadowolf
2014-11-17, 04:18 AM
Ellia takes a moment to respond, confused as to why the fool hasn't already told them as much as he can. One simple question only. Tell us all you know of this Stardust.

Lerriano
2014-12-09, 09:25 PM
Jim smiles broadly and winks.

Can't really say it's a good deed to gossip about the man when he's not here to defend himself. I think it's going to be far easier to show you. Eat up, Tarquin!

The clearly beleaguered inquisitor chokes down as much of the breakfast as he can manage in one mouthful.

Jim leads you out of the tavern and towards the huge tower whilst bantering roughly with Tarquin about the inquisitor's relative 'newbie' status, calling his competence for the position into question with every other sentence. The streets get older as you get closer to the very centre of the city.

Finally at the end of a cul-de-sac, Jim knocks on a midnight blue door with stars across it. At first glance it appears to be another house in the gabled terrace, but as soon as Jim confirms his identity through a suddenly opened slit, the whole building changes appearance and sprawls upwards and back, growing into what looks like a small palace.

Jim looks back at you all and shrugs his indifference. In many ways his face says a thousand words, and at least three hundred of them are variations of 'wizards, I know right?'

Once inside, you see a vast lobby area with a golden fountain spraying multicoloured water onto the heads of statues of various non-human races. To one side is a luxurious hardwood desk with an unimpressed clerk taking time out from reading her book to add actual disdain to the metaphorical disdain of the water feature. She looks over her thin glasses at Jim.

And how can I help you today, Jim? I take it you're not going to try and show me your 'paladin's mount' again?

Jim grins to you all, clearly (and mistakenly) proud of his prowess at innuendo. Tarquin puts his palm to his face. It appears that this is not the first time he's had to endure this joke.

Ah Clarissa. I'd forgotten you were on reception at the weekends. He walks to the desk twirling his fingers in decidedly magical patterns behind his back, and then caresses her face. His voice alters to a honeyed choir of soothing tones. But naturally, I never forgot how those glasses bring out the starlight ever-glimmering in your eyes.

She softens, inexplicably charmed by the Paladin.

Oh Jim, you are a smooth talker!

Jim delivers a flirty wink to her, kisses her cheek, and then turns back to the four of you to wink in a significantly cheekier manner. Tarquin mumbles something about him 'always being like this'.

Jim has one last piece de resistance.

Listen, honey. I need to take these lovely folks up to see the archivist. Can you pass me a wand for the door? I'll pick you an exceptional gift from the market for your trouble.

Clarissa relents easily, sighing that he always brings out the worst in her. He just jokes it off and blows her a kiss as he beckons you all to follow him up a flight of marble stairs.

At the top is a door marked 'ARCHIVE - ACCESS ONLY BY PERMISSION!'. Jim waves the wand from the front desk at the door and it clicks open. All manner of papers, manuscripts and codices tumble through the gap in the door as though the room beyond is overflowing. From within the room a reedy voice yells out.

Close the bloody door or so help me in the name of Pelor I'll blow your head to smithereens!

Jim smiles and ushers you inside. Stepping over mounds of books and piles of paperwork you note that this archive is huge. Much larger than the door would suggest. And it's covered in all places with untidy documents. Sat behind a desk in the centre of this maelstrom of documentation sits a young, thin man reading from a dusty book nearly a food thick. He looks up to see Jim and instantly perks up.

Jim! And company! Do come in and... er... well don't sit on anything. I am Ziggy Stardust, archivist of the grand mages of Tassa! To whom do I have the honour of being introduced? Off you go, James, and take that feckless womble with you. He waves dismissively at Tarquin and Jim, who promptly leave the archive.

How are we all this fine morning?