PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class MetaPsionicist Prestige Class (PEACH)

Ralcos
2014-09-28, 11:57 AM
I just felt like making a prestige class (technically, I wanted an option for a future character).

Anyhow, without further ado......

The MetaPsionicist
By Ralcos

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130419181119/dnd4/images/c/c7/Phb3-woc-psion.jpg

"It is folly for a man to pray to the gods for that which he has the power to obtain by himself."
Epicurus

You have learned to harness your psionic talents to modify your abilities beyond what they can already do.

Requirements
Skills: Concentration 15 Ranks, Psicraft 15 Ranks
Feats: Psionic Meditation, any three Metapsionic feats.

Class Skills
Autohypnosis, Concentration, Craft, Decipher Script, Knowledge (all skills, taken individually), Profession, Psicraft
Skill Points per Level: 2 + Intelligence modifier.

Level
BAB
Fort
Ref
Will
Special
Manifesting

Improved Metapsionics

+1 level of existing manifesting class

Bonus Feat

Metapsionic Mastery

Class Features
All MetaPsionicists gain the following class features.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
Metapsionicists, despite not being affected by armor when manifesting, do not gain proficiency with any weapons or armor.

Improved Metapsionics
When using a metapsionic feat, you may reduce the additional Power Point cost by 1, to a minimum of 1.

Metapsionic Mastery
Whenever you expend your psionic focus to manifest a power modified by a metapsionic feat, you may (after the first power is fully resolved) make a DC 25 Concentration check to regain your psionic focus as a free action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

Bonus Feat
At 3rd level, you gain a bonus feat. This feat must be a psionic feat or a metapsionic feat.

So, what do you guys think? Is it balanced?
Any Ideas/Advice/Criticism?

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-28, 12:45 PM
Hm. The sideways class table is a little tricky to read, so I rearranged it vertically (I hope you don't mind):

Level
BAB
Fort
Ref
Will
Special
Manifesting

Improved Metapsionics

Bonus Feat

Bonus Feat

Bonus Feat

Bonus Feat

table="class:head alt1 alt2"]

Level
BAB
Fort
Ref
Will
Special
Manifesting

Improved Metapsionics

Bonus Feat

Bonus Feat

Bonus Feat

Bonus Feat

[/table

Anyways. I like the idea of the class, but as it is I think it's a bit too strong for a 4/5 manifesting class. Psions get bonus feats every five levels; this gets four feats in five levels. Also, halving the PP costs for metapsionics is too much; being able to Chain a power for only three PP, or empower at only +1, maximize for +2, quicken for +3, and so on is not something that should be doable. However, that's not to say the concept itself is broken; I quite like the idea of reducing metapsionic costs. They also lack a capstone; it's always nice to put something juicy at the end of a PrC. Suggested revision:

Level 1: Improved Metapsionics
Level 2: +1 level of manifesting
Level 3: Bonus Psionic or Metapsionic Feat, +1 level of manifesting
Level 4: +1 level of manifesting
Level 5: Metapsionic Mastery, +1 level of manifesting
Improved Metapsionics: When using a metapsionic feat, you may reduce the additional power point cost by 1, to a minimum of 1.
Metapsionic Mastery: Whenever you expend your psionic focus to manifest a power modified by a metapsionic feat, you may (after the first power is fully resolved) make a DC 25 Concentration check to regain your psionic focus as a free action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

Now they get a bonus feat in five levels (same as a Psion), and give up one level of manifesting for a -1 reduction to metapsionic costs and the ability to essentially keep their psionic focus after using a metapsionic feat (DC 25 should be a piece of cake by level 17). Improved Metapsionics says "you may reduce the additional power point cost" so that it doesn't accidentally increase the cost of the zero-increase metapsionic feats (e.g. Enlarge Power).

Ralcos
2014-09-28, 01:49 PM
Thanks for the suggestions!
Updated with the class features and MUCH BETTER TABLE! :smallbiggrin:

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-28, 02:04 PM
No problem! I'm glad you liked my input.

However, a nitpick: The description of the "bonus feat" class feature still says "every level" :smalltongue:

Ralcos
2014-09-28, 02:07 PM
No problem! I'm glad you liked my input.

However, a nitpick: The description of the "bonus feat" class feature still says "every level" :smalltongue:

Updated. Also, I fixed a typo within the same description.