PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 help with melee cleric

JohnStone
2014-09-28, 12:44 PM
Hello and thank you.
I am trying to build an optimized Cleric for a lvl 15 game.
The game is about 9 PCs, Representing the 9 alignments, presumably heading into the Planes to take down the current pantheon and replace them. We must work together despite our differences so alignment rules are a bit fudged (Paladin can work with evil members, but should RP accordingly).
I have been tasked with creating a LG "Paladin" I seem to be the only Cleric.
There is an Incantrix that has offered 2 Persisted buffs to each member with "Shared MetaMagic"

The Rules
+2 LA Free (Saint, 3 Exalted feats)
1:1 Point Buy (base 8 + 48pts...NO SINGLE ATTRIBUTE LIMIT) (WISDOM)
2Traits...2Flaws
PRCs must match Alignment or require none (Ordained Champion is OK...Heironious) (RSoP..NG, RKV..LN are not)
I can Select any weapon as a Favored Weapon

I have a couple ideas to make WIS the primary stat:

Human,
Cloistered Cleric 4, Ordained Champion 5/ Prestige Paladin 2/ Sacred Exorcist 4
Feats...Nymphs Kiss, Intuitive Attack, Exalted Turning, PA, Combat Reflexes, Mounted Combat,Practiced Spellcaster, Serenity, Quicken Spell, DMM Quicken, (Holy Warrior or Spontaneous Healer)

I figure use a Longspear (Wis to ATK) and cast spells (alot of spells, free, swift channeled etc.) if i need to really melee turn on my "Holy Warrior" (su) (Wis replaces STR) maybe use a Great Falchion or something.

Thanks to Serenity i get Wis to Saves and Turn Attempts (30+ if i double dip)
Saint gets me WIS to AC
and Holy Warrior gets me WIS instead of str for 5 rounds as a swift action.

the problem i see is a single AMF takes me out of the fight. also there are alot of swift actions here that might take me multiple rounds to get going.

OR:
Human,
Cloistered Cleric 4/ Ordained Champion 3/ Shiba Protector 1/ Prestige Paladin 2/ Sacred Exorcist 5
Similar feats except i need Iron will, Alertness, and Combat Expertise so id lose DMM Quicken

By using Shiba Protector i can continue to fight with my weapon (With WIS) all the time. no need for a longspear and completely AMF friendly.
But again it uses up alot of feats.

Both see pretty good but a little messy, i would love some elp cleaning them up a bit. I am not very good at Spellcasters usually so some notable spells/Domains would be helpful as well... I would like to keep the Domains LG in theme...I really like Charm)

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-28, 01:53 PM
For melee, DMM Persist is usually better than DMM Quicken; Righteous Might, Divine Power, and Divine Favor all stacked up at once will make you pretty dang formidable.

How about this:
Cloistered Cleric 6/Prestige Paladin 2/Ordained Champion 3/Contemplative 2/Prestige Paladin +1/Shiba Protector 1
Domains: War and any other two. If you want a Devotion feat, pick up the domain for which you want Devotion at Contemplative 1; you'll probably be trading away the two non-War domain powers for fighter feats. Prestige Paladin for access to Paladin spells and to Serenity. Ordained Champion for only three levels so you only give up 1 caster level. Contemplative for Slippery Mind and a bonus domain. Another level of Prestige Paladin because it's good BAB and advances casting. Shiba Protector for Wisdom to attack and damage. You have BAB +12 (+15 with Divine Power active), base fort/ref/will of 9/5/9, and cast as a 12th-level cleric. Your HD is 8d6+4d10+3d8.

Feats:
1st: Extend Spell, Extra Turning
3rd: Persistent Spell
6th: Divine Metamagic (Persistent Spell)
9th: Alertness
12th: Combat Expertise
15th: Serenity
Spend 3,000 of your WBL to get Iron Will from the Otyugh Hole magical location (Complete Scoundrel p. 151), and put it in the backstory before 15th level (maybe you were imprisoned unfairly by the church of Hextor?). Sacrifice at least one of your domain granted powers for Power Attack. If you can't get the Otyugh Hole, sacrifice another granted power for Combat Expertise and take Iron Will at 12th level.
Ability Scores: I don't know how high your wisdom would get with a 48 PB, since there's no given cost for anything above 18. Assuming that all adjustments above 16 are at 3-to-1: Strength 14, Dex 11, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 23 (26 after increases at 4th, 8th, and 12th), Cha 8. This would give you, before ability-boosting items, 15 turn attempts per day. Enough to keep four persisted, extended spells going at all times. Divine Power, Righteous Might, Divine Favor, and Vigorous Circle are good ones. And then you have one Turning left unused, in case you actually do encounter undead. You would also have, assuming average HP, 96 hit points. A little on the low side, but if you have WBL then you can pick up a Con-boosting item.

JohnStone
2014-09-28, 02:33 PM
thats pretty helpful...

I will definitely throw some Contemplative in to the mix
and i am asking the DM about Legendary Locations

Note: you missed the three exalted feats required for SAINT template
also i could get into Ordained Champion at cleric 4 to free up some space

I am leaning toward the Shiba Build to be more melee oriented

also the point buy is 1:1 as high as i can go

Sir Garanok
2014-09-28, 02:53 PM
Knowledge devotion can give another +5 tohit/damage.

Use it with divine insight to get a +20 bonus on checks.

Grab a few nightsticks too.

Another nice spell to persist is greater consumptive field.

JohnStone
2014-09-28, 03:47 PM
I am not sure i can fit DMM Persist into the build...remember i lose 3 feats for saint and i need Mounted Combat to qualify for Prestige Paladin.

even if i could, most of my abilities do not rely on STR so it wouldnt be very helpful.
and the incantrix is offering to persist some buffs.

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-28, 04:00 PM
thats pretty helpful...

I will definitely throw some Contemplative in to the mix
and i am asking the DM about Legendary Locations

Note: you missed the three exalted feats required for SAINT template
also i could get into Ordained Champion at cleric 4 to free up some space

I am leaning toward the Shiba Build to be more melee oriented

Hm. If you're playing with flaws, then three flaws = three exalted feats. Two flaws, for Nymph's Kiss and some other exalted feat; also get Intuitive Attack instead of Power Attack. Pick up Mounted Combat instead of Extra Turning. Problem solved.

Otherwise, magical locations are you friend again. Iron Wyrm Vault, Heward's Hall, and The Highest Spire cost a total 11000 GP; buy them, then pay for a DCS (Embrace the Dark Chaos, Shun the Dark Chaos) to make them into Exalted feats (or, if your DM is lenient, just use a single manifestation of Psychic Reformation). ETA: This can also get you Mounted Combat.

ETA2: If DCS isn't allowed, I would actually advise against the saint template: there are better ways to get Wisdom to AC, and it saves you three feats and a pile of cheese. DMM Persist is the most powerful ability a combat-focused cleric can have.

also the point buy is 1:1 as high as i can go

Crikey! That gives us a lot more freedom. Strength 16, Constitution 16, Dexterity 12, Intelligence 10, Wisdom 33 (36 after increases), Charisma 9.