PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Achievements

tim01300
2014-09-28, 02:43 PM
I know it may sound awful at first, the thought of bringing achievements into D&D but I've recently started listening to the CritJuice podcast and felt the idea is worth a try. The DM has a few cards with achievements on them and a funny saying, and it comes with a small one time use reward. It is just a little extra fun tossed in. There are a few lists out there but most of them are for 4e and involve making opponents bloody or using encounter powers. I was hoping you guys may have some ideas for 3.5. I am hoping to compile a small list, of achievements and different rewards. I would tell my players they are only good for two sessions, so n one hoards them up.

Some examples, Speed Limit- Roll a natural 20 on your initiative. You can give an alley a free move action on your turn.
Pacifist- Miss every attack in an encounter. You can add a +2 on one D20 roll.

Not really looking for ones that are grinding like 100 kills ect. looking for funnier ones, puns, movie references.

daremetoidareyo
2014-09-28, 06:41 PM
Fumble McClumsy
roll two 1s in sequence on attack rolls and skill checks: get one luck re-roll

"Timmy's stuck in a well"
Communicate a complex concept to someone who doesn't understand your language (no interpreters allowed): free skill point on level up that can only be applied towards language, forgery, or decipher script

Gravity rodeo-clown
Fall from 100' height with no feather fall and survive: get up from prone as a free action

Knucklebuster
punch an earth elemental (or similarly hard mineral based monster): +1 damage on one future unarmed strike that has successfully landed.

knock knock Knocking on heavens door
stabilize at negative hit points twice in gaming night: +10 temporary hit points for next gaming session

temp workers union strike
summon 10-15 creatures to the field in one battle: apply dire template to next summon spell cast, even if redundant, max 1 creature from this summon spell. e.g. "I call forth a DIRE dire weasel"

that hard to reach spot:
sneak attack the same opponent 4 times (on 4 different rounds): next weapon to strike you is cursed with "backbiter trait" (a roll of 1 strikes yourself)

city slicker
PC has no ride skill and falls of his mount (or PC with a ride skill falls off a mount 3 times: gains +1 skill point at next level that can only be applied to animal handling or riding.

master of none:
PC has picked up a 4th class: +1 BAB until next level

I'm a dapper dan man
PC uses the spell grease 3 times with no other spells cast in between: up to 4 allies named when casting a spell temporarily gain 2 ranks in balance, one time use (or not, whatever)

Italian plumber award
change between the same two size categories 3 times in a session: The next time you change size categories, gain the abilities to throw 2 fireballs, caster level 5.

wight out
Stay conscious after absorbing 12 total points of ability drain in a game session: 1 time use of the ability to "take ten" on one saving throw and "take 20" on another.

vanish:doom (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Vanish-Doom_Bug)
PCs kill the BBEG way too early somehow: PCS are considered to have +1 level in regards to their familiars, mounts, and animal companions + lots of gold

horizontomancy
Trip a quadripedal opponent: +2 on the opposed rolls for the next three attempts to overrun, trip, disarm, or grapple

Offshore banking for tax purposes
PC takes a class to get free crappy feats for a prestige class (like dodge): This class is also treated as a favored class

ghosts in the shell
PC spell caster defeats ghost with no help from other pcs: all fog/mist (stinking cloud too maybe) spells that caster casts allow up to 6 allies to see ethereal creatures and have a 50% of striking them.

Hold the line
All but one PCS knocked unconscious, petrified, polymorphed, dead: +3 HP for the survivor.

Smarypants:
PC successful at 3 different DC 20 knowledge checks in one session: +1 skill point that can only be used for knowledge, craft, or profession skills at level up.

Rhaegar14
2014-09-28, 08:21 PM
They don't come with the little mechanical perks, but a bunch of these are really good and universally applicable as far as edition goes. Plus I love most of the names.

http://imgur.com/a/QuSwR

Fax Celestis
2014-09-28, 09:26 PM
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/achievement-feats

KillianHawkeye
2014-09-29, 06:01 AM
I dunno, I think the whole beauty behind Xbox Achievements is that they're not worth anything but bragging rights. Giving them some kind of mechanical benefit, even a temporary one, or even just a minor XP bonus or something like that makes me feel like it would become just another game mechanic for the players to try to exploit.

For example, one of my DMs actually awarded me an achievement in a 4th Edition game once. I was playing a Chaos Sorcerer and I rolled a 1 on an attack (which pushes everyone nearby away by 1 square) and it ended up throwing somebody out of a second-story window and killing them! Booya! Screw the rules, I've got CHAOS!

But I didn't get anything out of it besides a funny memory about a great campaign. And really? At the end of the day it's the memories of fun adventures and cool stuff we've done that are really worth the most.

Fosco the Swift
2014-10-07, 01:46 PM
Epic Fumble: Roll a one on an attack, then a 20 when trying to roll under DEX to not fumble.

Toe Removal: Confirm a critical hit, then roll a one for damage.

"There's an arrow in your butt!": Miss an enemy who's in melee and hit your friend instead with an arrow.

Lunch Break: Roll a one for Initiative.

Red Shirt: Fatally use an NPC to prevent a character death.

There are some who call me... Steve: Kill a Type- Plant creature with an unarmed strike.

The Miaqui Maneuver: Resist being grappled by at least 5 creatures for two consecutive rounds (either 5+ separate grapples in each round or one grapple where 4+ creatures aid one in grappling the character)

"Let Them Eat Cake!": Kill an enemy with any object that is edible and considered tasty by the victim. (This sadly, has been accomplished. Desperate fighter with a broken sword, an innocent halfling and a bulette)

"A wretched hive of scum and villainy": [DM Achievement] Start your campaign in a tavern!

"Oh Bat-boy" Kill any living bat (Giant or Normal) with a club.

"I rewrote the laws of Random Encounters": [DM Achievement] Have two random encounters in a row, just to annoy your players.

A Snowball's chance in Hell: Use a Cold-Spell descriptor on any plane that is Fire-Aligned

The Belkar Maneuver: Kill any named boss [subject to DM discretion] who was supposed to be a reoccurring villain.