PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Warlock Build Check

Tarlek Flamehai
2014-09-28, 03:56 PM
I am building a first level warlock for an ECL 3 game. Could you kind folks double-check me for RAW, please. The campaign is Forgotten Realms 3.5 with all setting appropriate WoTC material allowed (including Dragon), but no outside campaign material (Eberron, Dragonlance, etc). Level Adjustment buyoff is allowed.

Suggestions for survivability and flexibility would be much appreciated. Note some material abbreviated for not being OGL.

Planned levels are Warlock 1/Duskblade 3/Aburjant Champion 5/Warlock 11. Will switch to Glaivelock build on 2nd level of Warlock.
Plan to add Abj Champ levels to Warlock.

Male Unseelie, Half-Fey, Star Elf Spark(Magic Blooded) of Major Fey Bloodline

Medium Size Fey
Speed 30' (fly 60'/good)

Total mods -2ST +4DX -6CN +10CH +2LA

Star Elf traits
Spark traits
Half-Fey traits
Unseelie traits
Bloodline trait: +2 untyped bonus on Hide checks

Flaws: Frail, Wild
Feats: Beuaty's Bounty, Nymph's Kiss, Fey Heritage

Invocation: Baleful Utterance

Skills: Bluff 1, Concentration 3, Disguise 1, Intimidate 1, Jump
1, Knowledge(arcana) 3, Knowledge(the planes) 1,
Knowledge(relidon) 1, Cook 1, Sense Motive 3, Spellcraft
3, Survival 1, Use Magic Device 3

WBL: Amulet of Aquatic Salvation, Mithral Chain Shirt. MW Long Spear, Dagger

Edit to add following question.
Will the Duskblade's Arcane Channeling class feature work with Eldritch Glaive?

Thanks in Advance!

Divide by Zero
2014-09-28, 04:05 PM
Er, what is your final Con score? Because -6 Con and two LA out of three levels on a melee fighter seems like a good way to die really fast.

Tarlek Flamehai
2014-09-28, 04:10 PM
Er, what is your final Con score? Because -6 Con and two LA out of three levels on a melee fighter seems like a good way to die really fast.
Final Con is 8. Planning on relying on ranged Eldritch Blast until Warlock 2/Duskblade 3/AbjChamp 5.

Dread_Head
2014-09-28, 04:30 PM
Even at higher levels that -1 con modifier, 2 LA, the frail flaw and all of those d6 hit die levels is going to make you far too squishy for reliable melee combat. I'd expect a wizard! to have more hp than you will. Beauties bounty is an improvement at this level but you will still be very weak and at higher levels will have too little effect to be worth the feat slot. Also you don't qualify for abj champ at warlock 2 / duskblade 3, you need one more point of BAB.

Also I'd go with Eldritch spear as your first invocation so you can stay back and blast with it. At least you can fly with a decent speed and manoeuvrability so you can stay out of danger til you can survive more than one hit. Get an Auran Mask (CM) instead of that amulet, it's cheaper and provides a better effect. Don't bother splitting your skill ranks so much, it's nearly always better to max a few skills than to spread your ranks around. Especially when you already have fewer ranks than everyone else.

nedz
2014-09-28, 04:30 PM
Will the Duskblade's Arcane Channelling class feature work with Eldritch Glaive?
Nope.

Arcane Channelling requires a Weapon, Eldritch Glaive is a Weaponlike SLA.

Also Eldritch Glaive is a Full round action so you could only Channel Swift or Quickened spells, even if you could.

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-28, 04:35 PM
Even at higher levels that -1 con modifier, 2 LA, the frail flaw and all of those d6 hit die levels is going to make you far too squishy for reliable melee combat. I'd expect a wizard! to have more hp than you will. Beauties bounty is an improvement at this level but you will still be very weak and at higher levels will have too little effect to be worth the feat slot. Also you don't qualify for abj champ at warlock 2 / duskblade 3, you need one more point of BAB.

Also I'd go with Eldritch spear as your first invocation so you can stay back and blast with it. At least you can fly with a decent speed and manoeuvrability so you can stay out of danger til you can survive more than one hit. Get an Auran Mask (CM) instead of that amulet, it's cheaper and provides a better effect. Don't bother splitting your skill ranks so much, it's nearly always better to max a few skills than to spread your ranks around. Especially when you already have fewer ranks than everyone else.

Seconding the ranged suggestion. With Charisma that high, you don't need the multiple attacks from Eldritch Glaive to make your EB's rider effects take hold; if you want to go melee, ditch something that penalized Constitution, even if it means losing a bit of Charisma. Despite the fact that they're "Charisma-based", Warlocks don't actually need any ability scores, at least in theory.

Tarlek Flamehai
2014-09-28, 08:38 PM
Ok, some very good poiints.

Switch Baleful Utterance to Eldritch Spear.

Planned Levels to Warlock 1/Duskblade 2/Warlock +3/Abj Champ 5/Warlock +9

The Frail flaw I am planning on taking is the one from Dragon #328, it has no affect on HP just causes Fatigue at inconvenient times.

I can rejigger the skills for Bluff 4, Intimidate 4, Concentration 4, Use Magic Device 4, Sense Motive 4, Spellcraft 3, Survival 1

The Auran Mask is nice for a planned aquatic adventure, but doesn't meet my needs for anytime-emergency-don't drowning. But I am switching the MW L Spear for a normal Hvy Mace, and adding a Failsafe Ring of Shielding.