PDA

View Full Version : Power Point Regeration

nolongerchaos
2014-09-28, 08:02 PM
I've been looking back and forth between the feat Psionic Talent and the power Feat Leech, and I'm curious as to whether or not a pair of psionic characters each having taken Psionic Talent 2+ times could use Feat Leech to turn each other into power point batteries.

Would the power points granted by Psionic Talent go away when Feat Leech ends, as if they were temporary power points that function like temporary HP? Or would they be treated as true power points for the duration of Feat Leech, similar to HP gains from Con increases, and then once the power ends, power points are lost from your current total equal to the amount gained from the feat? Would you gain the power points, and then just lose the increased PP cap once the power ends? How would you interpret the RAW?

The purpose of this is not necessarily for in-game use (as the power has a duration in minutes, so it's not a terribly efficient means of PP regeneration, if it's even valid), but more a pondering of the RAW interpretations.

Oddman80
2014-09-28, 08:49 PM
after launching Power Point, hit the F1 button for the help menu. You might be able to find your answer through the FAQs.

Sorry - I couldn't resist. I honestly did think you were talking about Microsoft PowerPoint when i first read the thread title

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-09-28, 08:54 PM
Just get Midnight Augmentation, any other feat that gives a point of essentia, and Bestow Power (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/bestowPower.htm). With two essentia invested into it you bestow an additional two power points for every additional one spent, so spending five bestows six, spending six bestows eight, spending seven bestows ten, etc. There's nothing stopping you from targeting yourself with it, so starting at 6th level you can use this to refill your own powerpoints after using long duration buffs and between encounters.

nolongerchaos
2014-09-29, 01:36 PM
Yes, I understand that there are many ways to get power points back. But I wasn't asking about those. I was asking for RAW interpretations of the interactions between the afore mentioned feat and power.

Psyren
2014-09-29, 01:40 PM
When Feat Leech runs out and you lose access to Psionic Talent, you should also lose the benefits, which means losing the PP you gained from them. What this means if you're already at or close to zero PP is unclear and unlikely to be expanded upon further.

Werephilosopher
2014-09-29, 03:59 PM
Just get Midnight Augmentation, any other feat that gives a point of essentia, and Bestow Power (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/bestowPower.htm). With two essentia invested into it you bestow an additional two power points for every additional one spent, so spending five bestows six, spending six bestows eight, spending seven bestows ten, etc. There's nothing stopping you from targeting yourself with it, so starting at 6th level you can use this to refill your own powerpoints after using long duration buffs and between encounters.

How'd you work that out? You can never get a positive return with bestow power using Midnight Augmentation alone, at best you could bestow 4 power points by spending 4 power points. Augmenting it further gives you less and less.

Psyren
2014-09-29, 04:06 PM
How'd you work that out? You can never get a positive return with bestow power using Midnight Augmentation alone, at best you could bestow 4 power points by spending 4 power points. Augmenting it further gives you less and less.

There are two ways to read MA:

1) The reduction applies to the total augmentation. (i.e.: base cost + total augment cost - essentia invested in MA = reduced cost of the power.)
2) The reduction applies to the augment cost, i.e. to each instance of augmentation. (i.e. base cost + [augment 1 - essentia] + [augment 2 - essentia] + [augment 3 - essentia]... = reduced cost of the power.)

The former is the saner reading by far but this is one of the many, many instances of MoI's poor editing.