PDA

View Full Version : Ability checks

SliceandDiceKid
2014-09-28, 08:03 PM
Do these include saves?

I ask because the hex spell lets you choose an ability and gives target disadvantage on those checks.

Steel Mirror
2014-09-28, 08:05 PM
Nope. Saves, attacks, and ability checks are all distinct things, with no overlap if an effect calls out one of them specifically but not the others.

SliceandDiceKid
2014-09-28, 08:07 PM
Just found this to be the case as I was skimming back through... So I guess that would be used to hinder someone trying to break down a door or something?

Steel Mirror
2014-09-28, 09:42 PM
It could be used for that, it could also be used to make one enemy vulnerable to trips or shoves by your melee characters. It could conceivably be used to shut down an enemy spellcaster who is trying to counterspell you I guess, though that means you'd have to get the Hex off. If you could hex somebody before combat starts, Initiative is a dexterity check, so they could get disadvantage on that. Or if you . . . really didn't want them to make a knowledge check? :smallconfused:

Yeah that's all I've got. :smallwink:

Symphony
2014-09-28, 09:57 PM
Quite a few non-combat uses, such as picking Wisdom to give them disadvantage on Insight checks (make it easier to lie), Perception checks, Animal Handing checks, etc.