PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed help with sneaky warlock," awwww look at the kitty"

morkendi
2014-09-29, 01:05 AM
Party needs a skill monkey, but I wanted to play something a little different.

Race is Tibbit
Racial Traits
Monstrous Humanoid (shapeshifter): As monstrous humanoids, tibbits are immune to spells that affect only humanoids. (Tibbits, of course, would be horrified to learn that they are classified as "monstrous.") They also have the shapeshifter subtype.

+2 Dexterity, -2 Strength: Tibbits are small and relatively weak, but they have a cat's quick reflexes and fluid agility.

Small: As a Small creature, a tibbit gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but she uses smaller weapons than humans use, and her lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium creature.

Tibbit base land speed is 20 feet
Darkvision: Tibbits can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and lupins can function just fine with no light at all.

Feline Transformation: At will, as a standard action, a tibbit can transform into a house cat. This effect is similar to the spell polymorph but with a number of key changes.

Free +1la, I took dark as it fits well
Darkvision 60 ft.
Hide in Plain Sight (Ex): Use the Hide skill even while being observed (except in natural daylight, the area of a daylight spell, or a similar effect).
Resistance to cold 10.
Superior low-light vision.
+10 movement

Beguiler1/ Warlock 4/ Unseen Seer 4

Stats after rolls, racial, and level
str8, dex 22, con 14, int 18, wis 14, cha 16

Flaw non combatant
feats
Surrogate spell casting so I can cast and blast in cat form
dark stalker
precise shoot
practiced spell caster warlock

Highlights
Race, class, template seem to work well together
hide is already 26 with the 8 ranks required for unseen seer at level 9 in humanoid form and 30 in cat form
damage is ok if I have it figured right. 5d6 with practiced spell caster and 2d6 bonus from unseen seer

Beguiler gives a few good spells that are useful.

Warlock evocations are Baleful utterance, see unseen, breath of night (would give concealment), fell flight, walk unseen.

If everything is right, all I have to get is WBL for items.

Does everything look right? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

morkendi
2014-09-29, 09:19 AM
Biggest problem I have is equipping this character. This is almost 100% city based capaign where we get exp for roll playing as well as encounters. I dont know magic items well. I don't plan on front line fighting, but I want to get items with miss chance.

Snowbluff
2014-09-29, 09:45 AM
Drow of the Underdark has feats that let you hide as a swift action while in the area of your Darkness Invocation. For starters, you don't even have to move. :smalltongue:

I would suggest Eldritch Theurge, if you're going Beguiler. With your size and racial bonuses to hide, skill points in stealth don't matter as much.

How are you meeting the prereqs for Precise Shot?

morkendi
2014-09-29, 10:31 AM
Forgot point blank. Guess ill replace that and do percise at 12, thanks. I didn't do the therge just from character concept point of view. Want to play more of a sneak than. This character just strikes me as fun to roll play. With walk unseen, crazy high stealth roll, and darkstalker, I should have no problem staying hidden when I want. Plus, who really suspects a cat of anything in a city if they do see me.

Ellowryn
2014-09-29, 11:02 AM
Why practiced spellcaster Warlock? Caster level doesn't affect you invocations nor does it give you any boost in ability, in fact the only thing i think it helps is vs dispelling and even then all of your buffs are at will so you can just recast them. Also a dip into mindbender and then mindsight will make you a super-scout as you now know where every non-mindless living being is within 100ft of you.

morkendi
2014-09-29, 12:12 PM
Practiced spellcaster just catches my blast up with normal warlock. Can retrain later.

Ellowryn
2014-09-29, 12:17 PM
Practiced spellcaster just catches my blast up with normal warlock. Can retrain later.

Unless your DM has houseruled otherwise no it doesn't. Only bonuses to a spellcasters levels increase EB, not just caster level (i.e. Prestige class levels that increase spellcasting level boost it and i believe Bloodline levels do as well).

Troacctid
2014-09-29, 12:33 PM
Would Urban Savant fit your purposes better than Unseen Seer? It has the 6 + Int skill points but you can qualify for it without a dip.

morkendi
2014-09-29, 12:33 PM
Its in the warlock handbook that it advances eldritch blast according to rixhard baker or wotc.

Ellowryn
2014-09-29, 12:53 PM
Its in the warlock handbook that it advances eldritch blast according to rixhard baker or wotc.

Supposedly that is what he intended (its been a while since i read the exact article and i don't feel like trying to fish archives to find it again) but it was never erratad so by RAW it doesn't. So as usual this falls under "Ask your DM" territory as it makes sense for it to work.

morkendi
2014-09-29, 01:06 PM
Would Urban Savant fit your purposes better than Unseen Seer? It has the 6 + Int skill points but you can qualify for it without a dip.

Didn't want to burn a feat for favored feat wich is a prerequisite. Also have to be a menber of some organization wich isn't a big issue, but not something i really wanted.

nedz
2014-09-29, 02:38 PM
If you are short of feats drop PBS and Precise Shot. You are attacking against Touch AC and your Dex is good anyway.

Consider Extra Invocation for more options — multiple times even.

Tarlek Flamehai
2014-09-29, 05:33 PM
You should take Eldritch Spear for range.

Do your shopping off of this thread.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?187851-3-5-Lists-of-Necessary-Magic-Items

morkendi
2014-09-30, 04:12 PM
Would it be worthwhile doing the 2 level dip in cameleon for the floating feat vs the extra evocatios i get staying in unseen seer?

Troacctid
2014-09-30, 04:54 PM
Would it be worthwhile doing the 2 level dip in cameleon for the floating feat vs the extra evocatios i get staying in unseen seer?

No. The Chameleon dip is most effective when you're taking Warlock to at least 12 levels for Imbue Item, because it effectively gives you all crafting feats and lets you craft any magic item in the game. You're not a crafter, so you won't get full use out of it, and losing invocations is really going to hurt at your level, especially since you're already losing a level to Beguiler. Even if you did take it, you'd at least want to wait until towards the very end of your build, after you already have Dark invocations; it's definitely not worth delaying access to Greater invocations in order to get a floating Least invocation.

Of course the whole thing is moot because the class is only available to humans. Tibbits can't take it.