PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Wich spells to use against pc's

evangaline
2014-09-29, 03:13 AM
Greetings Playground,

My question to you is just like this title, wich spells do you use against pc's.
Allow me to give you some more information:

The party has just became level 6
The party contains a minotaur barbarian, a pixie ranger, a human fighter and a half dragon spellthief
Magic is extremely common in the world
The current opponents will be orcs with class levels and evil human clerics/wizards
They will not be facing druis or psionics
Spell levels 2 and 3 would be appriciated
Touch spells are, as you know, risky to cast at minotaurs with greataxes

I have had a love for 'command', 'glitterdust' and 'deeper darkness', but I am looking for more spells that might be interesting to increase my options.

A_S
2014-09-29, 04:12 AM
I like using spells that make things rough for PC's without rendering them completely unable to take actions or instantly killing them, because not getting to play your character is an unfun experience to have as a player.

Of course, eventually you have to take the gloves off or the PC's start to doubt that there's real challenge to the game, but especially at low level, I'm a fan of mostly hitting them with (non-fight-ending) debuffs, battlefield control, and DoT spells. At least then they have a chance to think about "okay, now that this bad thing has happened to me, what can I do to win the fight anyway," which is more fun than "oh, I'm asleep for the rest of the fight, I guess I should have found a way to make myself immune to mind-affecting spells."

Good ones at the level you're talking about:
-Web
-Creeping Cold (I know you said no Druids, but an Archivist could cast it)
-Stinking Cloud
-Power Word: Pain (as long as they have access to enough healing that it isn't auto-death...if they do, it just puts them on a timer to end the fight so they can heal the afflicted person)
-Great Thunderclap
-Cloud of Knives (can be Fell Frightened for more debuff action, with the added bonus of "don't let anybody get hit three times or they panic")
-Slow

Obviously, also mix in some straight-up blasting.

Wacky89
2014-09-29, 04:34 AM
Wizard Spells:
Great Thunderclap Wiz 3
Ray of Exhaustion Wiz 3
Undead Torch Wiz 3 (If you're using undead)
Kelgore's Grave Mist Wiz 2
Scorching Ray Wiz 2
Grease Wiz 1
Backbiter Wiz 1
Ray of Enfeeblement Wiz 1

Cleric Spells:
Balor Nimbus Clr 2 (Grapple Cleric)
Dance of Ruin Clr 2 (Sudoku move)
Hold person Clr 2
Wave of Grief Clr 2
Wither Limb Clr 2
Darkbolt Clr 2
Bestow Curse Clr 3
Darkfire Clr 3
Ice Axe Clr 3

Deox
2014-09-29, 04:45 AM
Spells that kill people:
http://www.tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=31950

Firest Kathon
2014-09-29, 05:52 AM
Touch spells are, as you know, risky to cast at minotaurs with greataxes

Always remember, you can use touch spells as follows:

Standard action: Cast spell in safe distance
Move action: Move next to enemy
Free action: Touch enemy with spell

Of course, the reach of the minotaurs is a problem here, but that's why your pet wolves/mooks/summons/other expendable allies moves before you and use up the AoO for the round :).

Ettina
2014-09-29, 08:05 AM
Spectral Hand (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Spectral_Hand) allows melee touch spells to become ranged, and gives a +2 to the attack roll. My tibbit necromancer uses this spell to inflict harm while staying out of reach.

evangaline
2014-09-29, 11:58 AM
I like using spells that make things rough for PC's without rendering them completely unable to take actions or instantly killing them, because not getting to play your character is an unfun experience to have as a player.

Of course, eventually you have to take the gloves off or the PC's start to doubt that there's real challenge to the game, but especially at low level, I'm a fan of mostly hitting them with (non-fight-ending) debuffs, battlefield control, and DoT spells. At least then they have a chance to think about "okay, now that this bad thing has happened to me, what can I do to win the fight anyway," which is more fun than "oh, I'm asleep for the rest of the fight, I guess I should have found a way to make myself immune to mind-affecting spells."

Good ones at the level you're talking about:
-Web
-Creeping Cold (I know you said no Druids, but an Archivist could cast it)
-Stinking Cloud
-Power Word: Pain (as long as they have access to enough healing that it isn't auto-death...if they do, it just puts them on a timer to end the fight so they can heal the afflicted person)
-Great Thunderclap
-Cloud of Knives (can be Fell Frightened for more debuff action, with the added bonus of "don't let anybody get hit three times or they panic")
-Slow

Obviously, also mix in some straight-up blasting.

You, kind sir, are my saviour. Thank you, I will be using these spells!

Wizard Spells:
Great Thunderclap Wiz 3
Ray of Exhaustion Wiz 3
Undead Torch Wiz 3 (If you're using undead)
Kelgore's Grave Mist Wiz 2
Scorching Ray Wiz 2
Grease Wiz 1
Backbiter Wiz 1
Ray of Enfeeblement Wiz 1

Cleric Spells:
Balor Nimbus Clr 2 (Grapple Cleric)
Dance of Ruin Clr 2 (Sudoku move)
Hold person Clr 2
Wave of Grief Clr 2
Wither Limb Clr 2
Darkbolt Clr 2
Bestow Curse Clr 3
Darkfire Clr 3
Ice Axe Clr 3

I will be using most of these aswell, execpt bestow curse since there are no clerics nearby to cure it. Or perhaps I will use it for that reason... Intersting

Nibbens
2014-09-29, 04:04 PM
A couple summon monster whatever spells will force the players to deal with the summoned monsters first (if you use them to separate the PC's from the casters) while ranged character pick them off.

Or perhaps having something like this (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/advanced/spells/elementalAura.html#elemental-aura) on a caster.

Or have a fighter orc use of scroll of this (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateMagic/spells/defensiveShock.html#defensive-shock).

Defensive shock is one of my favorites. Meaty fighters get eaten alive by it.

PS. I know it's pathfinder, but perhaps there are equivalents.