PDA

View Full Version : Shifter PrC

Deox
2014-09-29, 04:25 AM
Is there a handbook that has been made for the Shifter PrC? I've seen a few for the base class, but my google-fu has failed me. For some reason, I have the urge to build some sort of barbarian/druid (human or maybe even forest gnome) that proceeds into this PrC.

torrasque666
2014-09-29, 05:02 AM
Are you referring to the Shifter PrC from Masters of the Wild: A Guidebook to Barbarians, Druids, and Rangers? Or one of the many Shifter race PrCs from the Eberron setting? Because from what I can tell, the former was mostly remade into Master of Many forms.

Deox
2014-09-29, 06:20 AM
Aye - the Shifter PrC that was from Masters of the Wild.

AFAIK, it was never updated and is still valid for use, but the spiritual successor may, in fact, be the Master of Many Forms.

Venger
2014-09-29, 06:53 AM
momf actually is the updated version of shifter, but if your DM lets you use shifter, then that's cool, since it'll let you get the 5 forbidden types.

the momf bible (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-general/threads/1060931) will be very handy for you either way. it's a useful index of good shapes at each lvl (though it lacks elemental, construct, undead, outsider, obviously)

Deox
2014-09-29, 07:44 AM
I thought that it was the successor, as it kept the same signature abilities, but probably had the re-name as to not confuse it with the base class. Since it has a different name, however, I'll probably stick with the original (Shifter) as it grants access to undead and construct in particular.

I'm familiar with the MoMF Bible. I'll take a lot at that again for some ideas. Thanks.

ShurikVch
2014-09-29, 08:23 AM
Dunno if it matter, but from the Living Greyhawk (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=lg/welcome)'s Conversion Guidelines (http://www.wizards.com/rpga/downloads/LG_595CY_Conversion.zip):
• Some prestige classes changed names. These are: knight protector of the Great Kingdom (now knight protector), shifter (now master of many forms), tamer of beasts (now beastmaster), and templar (now pious templar).

Venger
2014-09-29, 08:34 AM
I thought that it was the successor, as it kept the same signature abilities, but probably had the re-name as to not confuse it with the base class. Since it has a different name, however, I'll probably stick with the original (Shifter) as it grants access to undead and construct in particular.

I'm familiar with the MoMF Bible. I'll take a lot at that again for some ideas. Thanks.

there is no base class called "shifter," though it is a race. what lvl are you starting at?

Deox
2014-09-30, 12:53 AM
Dunno if it matter, but from the Living Greyhawk (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=lg/welcome)'s Conversion Guidelines (http://www.wizards.com/rpga/downloads/LG_595CY_Conversion.zip):

Nice find, I didn't know about that. Thanks.

there is no base class called "shifter," though it is a race. what lvl are you starting at?

Yeah, I wasn't sure what I was thinking. I think it was a mix between Changeling race and the new Shifter race.

Starting around level 6-7, but probably going to upper teens, maybe 20th. Not really caring about the druid spell casting or animal companion. In fact, was probably going to trade out for some cool ACFs. Druidic Avenger looks interesting, as does the Spontaneous rejuvenation. Not sure, as I'm AFB, but does the Shapeshift variant qualify for either MoMF or the 3.0 Shifter? My gut says no, but I'll have to double check.

ranagrande
2014-09-30, 01:52 AM
Also, in Complete Adventurer, in the description of Master of Many Forms, it says it's an updated Shifter.

eggynack
2014-09-30, 02:00 AM
Starting around level 6-7, but probably going to upper teens, maybe 20th. Not really caring about the druid spell casting or animal companion. In fact, was probably going to trade out for some cool ACFs. Druidic Avenger looks interesting, as does the Spontaneous rejuvenation. Not sure, as I'm AFB, but does the Shapeshift variant qualify for either MoMF or the 3.0 Shifter? My gut says no, but I'll have to double check.
Y'know, if you're trading out the animal companion anyway, and if you're constructing something of a savage druid, it might be worth going full circle and using shifter as a race. Shifter druids do some nifty stuff, though that stuff is admittedly a bit less wild shape focused than your current path. You definitely end up with at least slightly better wild shape than usual, because shifter stuff all stacks reasonably with wild shape stuff, but it's not on the same scale as MoMF. Definitely offers one of the best trades for your animal companion, in any case.

titans4ever
2014-09-30, 02:07 AM
There is also a ranger alternate class type that works well for a base to move into momf as well.

Venger
2014-09-30, 02:34 AM
Nice find, I didn't know about that. Thanks.

Yeah, I wasn't sure what I was thinking. I think it was a mix between Changeling race and the new Shifter race.

if your dm says that shapeshift counts for qualification of shifter, it'd work.

momf requires wild shape, so shapeshift, which trades wild shape, prevents qualification.

There is also a ranger alternate class type that works well for a base to move into momf as well.

I gather you're talking about nature's warrior. it too requires wild shape, so if you don't have WS, you can't qualify for it.

Deox
2014-09-30, 05:06 AM
Y'know, if you're trading out the animal companion anyway, and if you're constructing something of a savage druid, it might be worth going full circle and using shifter as a race.

Nice thought, but I still like the idea of a splash of low level druid casting.

After reading, it did say that the MoMF is, in fact, the updated Shifter from 3.0. Sadness. I'll check to see if the "old" Shifter can be used. Undead and construct shapes are too awesome.