PDA

View Full Version : Specialization Wizard question (more specifically abjuration)

Snapplebloom
2014-09-29, 07:39 AM
I just got my second level on my wizard and I was planning on going into the Abjuration school.
I was wondering on what would be the best course of action for my new spells: 2 Non-abjuration spells, and then copy the abjuration spells for half off, or just get whatever I wanted?

This kind of comes into play for my second question, because so far in the campaign we haven't had much time to relax or time for me to copy spells, but I was thinking about taking the Alarm spell as one of my spells. I hope I can do this, but if my Arcane ward is up, and I cast Alarm as a ritual, I think it could refill the ward without expending any spell slots, and I could keep repeating that ritual until my ward is completely refilled.

Any thoughts if that is possible?

hymer
2014-09-29, 08:02 AM
I just got my second level on my wizard and I was planning on going into the Abjuration school.
I was wondering on what would be the best course of action for my new spells: 2 Non-abjuration spells, and then copy the abjuration spells for half off, or just get whatever I wanted?

This kind of comes into play for my second question, because so far in the campaign we haven't had much time to relax or time for me to copy spells, but I was thinking about taking the Alarm spell as one of my spells. I hope I can do this, but if my Arcane ward is up, and I cast Alarm as a ritual, I think it could refill the ward without expending any spell slots, and I could keep repeating that ritual until my ward is completely refilled.

Any thoughts if that is possible?

I'd definitely take the spells I wanted, at least at first. Once you get a feel for the campaign and how it will work, you can start trying to save money as you suggest. The problem isn't merely downtime, it's also the availability of something to copy from. I'd rather not take the chances.

Personally I'd let you use rituals to fill up your arcane ward (unlike, perhaps, your fellow adventurers), but you really need to ask your DM, who may see it differently.

Daishain
2014-09-29, 08:03 AM
The arcane ward does specify that it refills based on the level of spell slot used. Since casting as a ritual technically does not use a spell slot at all, you cannot use rituals (or cantrips) to refill arcane ward.

Now, you might be able to convince your DM to let you have some kind of in between fights means of refilling the ward without spending valuable spells, fluff wise, it is just a matter of pumping the right form of energy in there. But that wouldn't be RAW, and any details or sacrifice on your part would be up to him.

As for spell selection, always pick the spells that you think you can't do without. There is no guarantee at all that a spell you don't pick for yourself will ever become available to learn.

hymer
2014-09-29, 09:25 AM
The arcane ward does specify that it refills based on the level of spell slot used. Since casting as a ritual technically does not use a spell slot at all, you cannot use rituals (or cantrips) to refill arcane ward.

I thought so too. But when I looked it up, there was no mention of slot. Only spell.

Daishain
2014-09-29, 09:33 AM
I thought so too. But when I looked it up, there was no mention of slot. Only spell.

Huh, you're right. Just checked the entry for ritual spells and it doesn't make an exception either. This might actually work, at least by RAW. It really seems like it shouldn't

Glarnog
2014-09-29, 09:38 AM
Based on LMoP and HoTDQ, the only offically published adventures I know , pick the spells you need/want. Sadly finding spell books on wizards seems to be some sort of balancing factor. I am not real impressed with it. There will be scrolls, but unlike 3.5, I don't think DMG will really have rules for buying all the scrolls you want. Which kind of means after 1st level, depending on scroll drops, you're pretty much always going to be looking at 4 possible spells per slot as a wiz.