PDA

View Full Version : Back to Basics (Group 2)

Pages : [1] 2

Amanil
2014-09-29, 08:59 AM
The ravaging of Allundril's home was a month past now. The few who escaped - a dozen, all told - made their way north. Knowing that they'd finding little compassion for their cause with the self-absorbed high-elves deeper in the woods, they skirted round, living off of the land as they always had.

With no real aim, the band simply kept on the move, looking to put some distance between them and the gnolls such that fate would not be a cruel mistress and cause conflict once more. Silartet, the oldest and self-appointed leader of the group, changed his mind about where they were headed almost weekly, finally settling on a plan as they arrived on the outskirts of Harlskeep.

"The freewarriors of the eastern hills will help us get revenge, but we will need coin. The human lands are troubled - find good paying work, and find it fast. We meet back here in two months, with whatever funds, allies, or bow-arms you can find."

The first week was quiet. Most of the group had already dispersed, and Allundril found himself acting as a bouncer for a particularly rowdy tavern to pay for room and board, always keeping an eye on the noticeboard. Most was work for labourers or tradesfolk, but eventually something of interest caught his interest.

Freewarriors, mercenaries and adventure-seekers:
The Church of St. Cuthbert is hiring.
Applications to Father Quintus
The notice Clauss is answering reads:

Sorry yours is a bit basic, you provided me with all of the relevant background leading up to answering the notice!
The betrayal at Uruna'k was still a burning memory in his mind as Sar'tul came to Harlskeep, accompanying a dwarven caravan. The first primarily human settlement of any decent size, the dwarf was pleased to learn that the church of St. Cuthbert had a healthy following here. With his legs weary from the long journey, he decided this was as far as he needed to travel for now.

With only a day of relative rest within the church's walls, the head of the church - Father Quintus - summoned Sar'tul and another apparant newcomer - a fellow brother of St. Cuthbert called Isaac - to his chambers the following morning after the sermon.

"Brothers, we have some grave news. Apparently a cult has been kidnapping villagers near Jannisthorp - to what end, we can only imagine. The village elder has pleaded with us for aid after receiving nothing from the military." He paused to let the news sink in a moment.

"I can only assume your recent arrivals are a blessing from our Lord Himself, and as such beseech you to take up this task such that order can be returned to the people of Jannisthorp. I have requested the aid of local mercenaries and the like, who shall be convening today. From them we will form two task forces, with each of you at the head."

"Brother Isaac, you are to lead a group in finding and rescuing the kidnapped villagers. Brother Sar'tul, you are to seek out the roots of the evil and do what you can to bring the cult itself down. May His Justice be served."

Unlike the others, you are not queuing outside but will be accompanying Father Quintus in the interviews. While it might be a bit immersion breaking for you, I ask that you don't strongly object to any of the other players as applicants, or at least have Sar'tul keep his objections to himself.
Harlskeep, as good a place to rest her weary feet as any. Eirien had arrived at the town a week past, and was rapidly realising just how expensive comfortable accomodation could be. The abundance of friendly yet formal establishments of her homeland was a stark contrast to the average quality here - the concept of a bed costing extra, and blankets being flea-ridden and itchy rather than cool linen seemed to be the norm.

This gave Eirien two choices; find something to supplement her funds to be able to stay in the more luxurious quarters, or admit defeat and return to the elven lands she was accustomed to. A combination of stubbornness and pride meant the second wasn't an option, and so she began looking for "work". It was true that there were a goodly number of merchants with fat pockets ripe for the picking, but after a close call Eirien decided to see if work which was more... well, "legal"... might be available.

A handful of notices were pinned up on noticeboards of the various inns of Harlskeep, and one in particular seemed especially legitimate:

A lot of the above (i.e. Eirien's particular viewpoint) is flexible. If you want to come up with another reason for her to be answering the notice feel free.
It's a sad life when your own mother doesn't acknowledge you. Marella now owned the bar at which she had worked when Jamros left a decade and a half ago. "No son of mine would be some nature-loving slacker," she'd declared upon his return. Words were hurled and eventually Jamros, in a moment of anger, ripped an advert at random from the noticeboard.

"You think I won't work! I'll show you!" he'd yelled as he stormed out, clearly emotionally charged from being dismissed by the only person from his childhood to have cared for him.

He looked down at the notice in his hand, only now reading the words.

So be it.
The church of St. Cuthbert in Harlskeep is a rather imposing yet simple building - smooth stone walls, solid buttresses, and a large bell tower. It's evident that there's some interest, as a rather diverse queue is forming outside the main door. A human wearing simple robes and a large iron holy symbol about his neck stands at its head with a piece of parchment on a board, and is slowly checking off names and sending people in one by one.

You arrive in the order that you post. Once invited inside please post in spoiler tags (the discussion will be in private). Feel free to chat amongst yourselves, ask questions, etc. while in the queue.

Sandviper
2014-09-29, 10:30 AM
The day started early for allundril, his trance last night was not as comfortable, since that fatidic night everynight is the same, fire, horrific howling, grutural laughter, blood and screem, but today was the day that his revange will start coming together. He arrived at the Church of St.Cuthbert, no one else was arround well.. here i am, guess i´m the first one to show up... as he walked up the stairs a human in simple robes opens the door.

Hi! the name is allundril, i´m answering thispost i found... allundril, shows the patchment to the human. Shall we talk bussines?

Amanil
2014-09-29, 10:54 AM
The priest nods and ushers Allundril inside. The inside of the church is in the same style as the exterior: simple wooden pews, wide stone aisles, and a great block of rough stone as an altar. Plain brown curtains block off various parts, and the priest indicates a door behind a drawn-back curtain towards the back of the church.

"Knock twice and enter, then introduce yourself to Father Quintus."

The priest scratches a few words down on his ad hoc clipboard before returning to monitoring the queue.

The side room is small and simply furnished - a wooden desk with a neat arrangement of parchments and scrolls. Seated behind the desk is an elderly man, probably in his sixties. A stern expression is on his face, and his long, white hair is pulled neatly back. A short, neatly-combed, grey - verging on white - beard adorns his chin. Standing to his side is a short, stocky humanoid - you have seen a few similar of similar build to this about the town, apparently they're the "dwarves" Allundril's heard about in stories. Both wear grey robes with white trim, with those of the seated man's having a second band of sky blue. The dwarf is armoured in scale mail.

The seated man eyes Allundril up and down, obviously silently appraising him.

"You have the look of a hunter about you, my son." The seated man speaks. "Are you a proficient tracker?"

Remember to post in spoiler tags from now on, addressing them to "DM, Allundril, Sar'tul" as relevant (unless it's just for me, of course).
Allundril is obviously an elf. Tall, with tanned skin, blond hair, green eyes, and a muscular build, he has the look of a hunter about him. He sports a bow slung over his shoulder, and has a longsword at his belt.

Prince Zahn
2014-09-29, 12:18 PM
A hooded little figure approaches the priest next, "Greetings," he rasped, "I have come to speak with Father—" he coughed violently, struggling to speak before coughing something that smeared blood over his hand. He then placed the same fist in his pocket along with anything that may have been held in it."—father Quintus, regarding his need for adventure-seekers." with another dreadful cough he added And a drop of something for my cough, if his blessedness would ever so kindly..."
adding "Gnome Tooth" to my inventory :smalltongue: in case you should wonder, this is the very same one from the character description.

Amanil
2014-09-29, 12:24 PM
The priest manages to not recoil as the small figure coughs up blood. He points to the back of the short queue. "I'm sure we can arrange a herbal tonic as part of any arrangement you make. Please join the queue."

Gross. :smalltongue:

Prince Zahn
2014-09-29, 12:39 PM
"As you wish, I am a patient gnome."the figure returns to the back of the queue a bit clumsily and slowly, as if in pain.
In an attempt to pass the time and pain, the gnome tries to socialize with the person in front of him.
"hello, You are also here to spe—"he coughs again. —to speak with Father Quintus?"
this could be anyone really. Another player would be ideal, however.
EDIT: unless sir master of dungeonshire has a cooler idea of what to do?

Amanil
2014-09-29, 01:22 PM
The next person to show up can be retconned in to be in front of Clauss.

UristMcRandom
2014-09-29, 01:50 PM
I'll take it, couldn't think of a cool way to walk up anyway.
Jamros stood in the line rather impatiently, his viper companion Ahktar draped over his shoulders, spear in hand. He sighed, muttering an Elvish curse when he heard a voice behind him before turning to face the speaker, "Yes. What matter is it to you?"

Prince Zahn
2014-09-29, 02:42 PM
"Oh, none in particular." he groaned in pain as he spoke. "I do like that snake of yours nonetheless - I nearly got bit by a few roughly a fortnight ago, though they were not as impressive as yours - surely not, I believe was lucky to make it out alive!"
despite the agony and dryness betrayed from his voice, the cloaked gnome appeared quite cheerful.

Navian
2014-09-29, 08:48 PM
It works out quite nicely--Eirien prefers to be alone, so she wouldn't want to trance in the common room. Being woken up by being bitten by something is a legitimate fear, too. A nice quiet room with a door that locks and a window she can escape from would be her standard.

Eirien doesn't really have a profession, not even 'thief'--her fear of getting caught has kept her from practicing the relevant skills. She could be an acrobat if not for her fear of crowds, though... Fear is a big thing for Eirien! Ironically, that's why she's looking for dangerous work--it's less scary, for her, than learning a new trade.

Across the road from the church stood a tallish elf with a hooded gray mantle over her shoulders. Visible on her back, a nine-foot-tall spear extending well across her back, along with a good-size horn crossbow. At her belt was a sturdy elven sword, and a number of small bags and boxes. Beneath her armoured tunic, and yet over the leggings of her armour leggings, was a skirt of pale blue wool.

She hung back, distant from the queue for some time, occasionally wincing as the others spoke, before steeling herself for a cautious approach. Though it seemed as calm and graceful as anything--as well as somewhat menacing, given her heavy armament--the extraordinary paleness in her face betrayed that the quiet elf was not quite in control of the situation.

After arriving about six feet away from the gnome at the back of the line, she stopped and kept her distance from the gnome and half-elf in front of her, with just a hint of a set jaw and an upright chin. Eyes the colour of sun-drenched moss observed the priest by the doors, but she kept her lips sealed and her cloak wrapped tightly around her, arms crossed underneath it.

UristMcRandom
2014-09-29, 09:18 PM
"Thank you, I suppose..." Jamros turned away, hoping he could get through the rest of the signup process with as little socialization as possible.

About how many people are in this line?

Amanil
2014-09-29, 09:22 PM
It varies, but generally about five.

Sandviper
2014-09-29, 09:28 PM
allundril, steps forward into the church,and as he was told.. proceds to knock twice before entering thr room. He sees the two humanoids inside the room. a small hairy one and an old one..
Greeting, I am Allundril... and indeed, i´m a hunter, from the northen elven woods, tracking is indeed one of my skills. you must be father quintus...? allundril focuses on the man speaking.

Prince Zahn
2014-09-29, 11:11 PM
"Tell me, where did you find this one, good fellow?"the gnome continues to show interest in the half-elf's pet as he shows signs illness, and pain."Call me Clauss, by the way. And you are?"

Yeah, Urist, because I would totes let Clauss stand quiet while waiting in line indefinitely with nobody else to pass the silence with... That's not how good stories start, mi amigo. :smalltongue: :smallwink:
forgot to ask, how is the weather outside? Not a vital detail but it would be nice to know.

Amanil
2014-09-30, 04:21 AM
"Indeed I am," the seated man acknowledged, scratching his short beard with one hand. "The man to my left is Brother Sar'tul. Tell me, what do you know of the ways of St. Cuthbert? No doubt a tracker could be useful?" The last question was addressed to the dwarf.
It's warm and clear - I should probably have mentioned, it's early summer.

TwentyFold
2014-09-30, 09:33 AM
Sar'tul stole his eyes off of the elf to glance at Father Quintus, then back at the Elf with a glint in his beady silver eyes. Aye, Father Quintus, any hunter of the sort would be greatly welcomed.

UristMcRandom
2014-09-30, 10:13 AM
"I found him out in the woods, don't even remember where," Jamros said, glancing back at the Gnome's pained expression, he sighed again before speaking, "You may call me Jamros."

I swear! I'm not normally this antisocial! ;) Jamros will come around eventually, I promise.

Sandviper
2014-09-30, 10:32 AM
immeral takes a look at sar´tul nods his head in sign of respect and respondswell father quintus, I´m not of the religious type,i trust the nature ,the wilderness and belive that mother nature gives and takes at her will, that being said...i don´t deny the excistance of the gods... i don´t know much of any ¨civilized¨ deitys. I can handle my self on pretty much any field, even if i haven´t been there before, i read the land and let her guide me.

Amanil
2014-09-30, 10:41 AM
"Somewhat less formal than what we are used to, but needs must." Father Quintus sighed. "Brother Sar'tul, I believe we have found you your tracker."

He turned back to the elf. "What payment would you consider reasonable for your services, on a per day basis? You may assume that the task at hand will involve not insignificant risk to yourself."

Navian
2014-09-30, 01:43 PM
As Jamros turns back toward Clauss and announces himself, Eirien twists her lips and gives those in line in front of her another few inches berth on top of the six feet she's already provided, tilting her head back for good measure. Her silver hair is kept short, not reaching beyond her well-muscled neck. Her haircut is bad, but salvaged into some kind of style consisting of spikes pointed downward. Her briefly lingers on each of them, before drifting off toward the architecture.

Sandviper
2014-09-30, 03:36 PM
What´s the task..? Immeral seems intrigued with this odd proposal... usually people give a little more on what the job actually is.

Amanil
2014-10-01, 03:52 AM
Who's Immeral?
"You will be investigating the presence of a group of individuals of interest to the church, and bringing them to justice for crimes committed. It is likely that they will not give themselves up without a fight, but rooting them out is your primary concern - if the task of bringing them in is too much for your party you will reconvene and assemble an appropriately sized force." Father Quintus explained, simply. "The specifics I will explain to the head of your party, Brother Sar'tul, and he will pass on to you as relevant."

He steepled his fingers and tilted his head to one side. "If the work sounds of interest, what would be your daily rate?"

Amanil
2014-10-01, 06:11 AM
Eirien and Jamros are suddenly aware of movement down by their knees, and Clauss of movement by his waist.

"Just a coppah, miss, just a coppah for a hot meal."

"Please, mister, spare some change for'n'orphan."

"A silver for medicine for my sick mother, sir, a silver to save a mother of six."

A small horde of what appear to be predominantly halfling children swarm over the queue. There's perhaps a dozen of them, two or three begging at each individual. The priest at the head of the queue appears to be trying to shoo them away, but they're having none of it.

Navian
2014-10-01, 06:37 AM
Several expressions--surprise, nausea, horror and temerity--flash over Eirien's face in rapid succession as her mind catches up with reality. In another second, they all coalesce into one that bears features of all four.

"Stay back," she cries out in a voice not used to speaking at high volumes, or much at all, really. It's loud enough to be heard within fifteen feet, anyway, and her exclamation is punctuated as she plants her feet to be ready to turn in any direction, and yanks her sword from its scabbard, her right-hand with a white-knuckled grip on the hilt, her left hand over the pommel, held firmly point-down in a two-handed defensive stance as she watches over her coin purse with feverish determination. Her eyes dart across her 'assailants'.

Eirien's on the lookout for knives, fast-hands, and cut-purses! She might be crazy, but is she wrong? (Probably.) I've more in mind, but I think it best to wait for a reaction. In technical terms, she's Ready to pummel anyone who tries to move in her space (as in an unarmed strike, since she'd prefer to avoid the mess.)

Prince Zahn
2014-10-01, 08:39 AM
"Gather round, gentlemen!" Clause calls painfully but clearly, seizing the excuse to break the queue.
Clauss focuses on the children - he dares not possibly harm them - and justly he mustn't. He may regret what he will do next, but by Looking at the short distance away, he evokes four eerie globes of golden light in the distance nearby.
"Children - look that way!" he rasps, hoping the glimmering lights catch their attention. "Have you children never heard how the old rhyme goes?:
'Gilded light of wisps unfold,
The road to secrets of silver and gold!'" the spheres float around whimsically away,
In hopes that another location in town would help the children, and buying them time, he turns to the priest.
"Father - we must hurry and seek refuge inside - banishing them off carelessly helps us not!"

this reminds me of something... South park?:smallconfused:
Dancing lights to catch their attention, and a bluff check to hopefully lure the children away and buy us a little time:
Bluff: [roll0]

Amanil
2014-10-01, 09:17 AM
The children jump away from Eirien as she takes up her defensive stance. Many "oooh"s and "aaah"s are heard at the light show, and probably half of the "pack" go scurrying after them, skipping and laughing, their previous objective obviously forgotten.

Most of the remaining half, who you now notice have three gnome children in their number, seem unimpressed. Seeing that their marks may not be quite as easy as hoped, they stick out their tongues and chase after their fellows, calling back to the queue.

"Cheapskates!"

"Tightarses!"

"Misers!"

The priest's proverbial feathers seem ruffled, but he gathers his composure before turning to Clauss. "Nonsense, they are harmless enough. The church is no sanctuary from the smiles of children."

Eirien notices a single halfling child, no more than a foot and a half tall still remaining, entirely unfazed by her defensive posture and the glowing orbs. Her shoulder length brown hair is matted against her incredibly pale face, and her clothes are faded to the point where it's impossible to identify their original colour. She has a ragged blanket in one hand, held up to her chin, and holds the other out and up to Eirien.

"Coh...pah?" she asks in an incredibly high-pitched voice, though it's said forlornly.

Prince Zahn
2014-10-01, 09:30 AM
"Need I tell you, father, that they were not smiling moments ago." he coughs dreadfully, pointing towards the lights that teasingly lead the infants away from the church. "those poor souls, I wish I could truly help them somehow."

TwentyFold
2014-10-01, 10:43 AM
(Slightly Muffled) What be that ill gotten comotion outside!Yelled Sar'tul, clearly annoyed at the random Incursion of noise unto the interview. Sar'tul stands, and approaches the doors that lead out into the main portion of the church, mumbling the whole way. Please Excuse me father, i canno' stand by and let somethin' ruin tha whole process!
Just trying to get some expansion here for Sar'tul =p

Navian
2014-10-01, 11:52 AM
Eirien relaxes her grip, if not her posture, as the children scatter off. She is, for a moment, distracted by the light show herself, regaining her wits only as she hears Clauss speak to the priest. At this moment, she stands straight, tossing and catching her sword in her left hand, before sheathing it straight away, and pulling her cloak forward over her left side again. Her right hand migrates toward her belt pouch, and she glances down to hear the girl's pleas, giving a slight dip of her head. The elf remains blank-faced all the while.

"I have none," is her terse reply, but she raises her voice to address the queue. "Who here has change for a silver?" She makes a study of the visible candidates.

Prince Zahn
2014-10-01, 01:18 PM
Clauss raises his hood and reveals his white hair, his black eye that matches his bloodshot blue irises, unkempt van dyke, and a bruise on his cheek. He digs through his pockets and finds a few (4) copper coins.

"Here you go, sweetheart. One from each who can help. Also—" he whispers something and blows into both his hands, making one of the coins glow. And whispers something in the child's ear.
"A gift from one less fortunate to another. "
1 light spell used to light the coin."may it light your path tonight." he smiles with two stained golden teeth and a missing canine tooth.
"Off you go, little one - spend it wisely."

Turning with his smile to the maiden behind him, he rasps with little voice left.
"...ee... It."
"Still o...ring tha. .oi.., swee..art?"
@Eirien: Clauss is asking if youwant the change, and if you're still offering the silver.

Amanil
2014-10-01, 02:59 PM
In what language is he asking that? :smalleek:

UristMcRandom
2014-10-01, 03:06 PM
Jamros had uttered not a word the entire time the children had been begging, he had gone a bit defensive when the children approached, but he had for the most part been able to ignore them, albeit anxiously. His eyes betrayed his discomfort as he looked at Clauss, before he reached into his backpack, "Are you alright? I have some water, if that would help."

Prince Zahn
2014-10-01, 03:07 PM
he's speaking in someone-get-this-guy-some-water-before-he-collapses-anese:smalltongue:

Navian
2014-10-01, 05:55 PM
Her right hand freezes in its trek toward her pouch after Clauss presents the girl with coins in his hand, and Eirien watches the exchange with a cool demeanor. Once the gnome turns her way, her hand breaks away from her belt to form a simple gesture: Hand held before her, fingers together and upright.

After a pause, she pulls her cloak shut once more, and clarifies, "I am not here for a show." To the Halfling girl, she adds, "Ask for Eirien Senireni, by name, at the Lively Wench inn, this evening. I'll see you find hospitality better than the street outside, if I'm still there." She thinks for a moment, before speaking more to the air than to anyone else, "It may help to practice the name. The innkeeper is elven, as I am." Her attention returns to the queue.

The name is (very roughly) pronounced 'Ai-ree-en sen-eye-ren-ee'. Her chosen surname is spelled with an 'e' in the middle on official documents due a "a misunderstanding". Eirien leaves this part out when she uses it.

It's a descriptive surname, not a family name, and the additional phoneme changes the meaning from a sympathetic one (albeit one dubiously open to interpretation) into what appears to be a stealth insult or ironic nickname.

Knowing Elven, Jamros would recognize Eirien's name, and that she speaks with a foreign accent; using other details he can deduce that she's not from this kingdom. Her first name refers to a ubiquitous white flower, and seems both common and fitting. Her surname describes her as a 'silent custodian', or some variation on that theme.

Amanil
2014-10-01, 06:11 PM
The girl graciously accepts the coins offered by Clauss, looking genuinely surprised and gazing in wonder at the glowing one. After a few moments she carefully stuffs the (for her) ludicrously sized discs into a patchwork pocket on the front of her "dress" and manages a surprisingly elegant curtsey.

"Ai-reen Sen-eye-ren-eye," she attempts, repeating it to herself as she slowly toddles off in the direction the other children went, blanket dragging along the ground behind her.

The priest nods his approval at the charity, seemingly noting something on his clipboard.

UristMcRandom
2014-10-01, 09:58 PM
Jamros' eyes widened for a moment as he heard Eirien speak, of course she's an Elf, he should have known by her appearance, but still... He shook his head and looked at Clauss, attempting to clear his head of thoughts for a bit.

Can I make a skill check to identify what's up with Clauss, and if so what skill would that be? I'm thinking some form of Knowledge, but I'm not sure.

Amanil
2014-10-01, 10:59 PM
Go with Heal. If you get DC15 or above then ask his player, because heck if I know. :smalltongue:

Prince Zahn
2014-10-02, 04:43 AM
"plea..." he nodded and gratefully accepted the water. He drank as much of it as he could, and left enough for Jamros, should he need a swig himself. He gasped a bit hoarsely when he finished, but otherwise seems he is already feeling a bit better.
"Garl bless you with fortune, Jamros." he spoke, his voice tender and somewhat uplifted, if a bit hoarse. "I believe I should be fine, I simply bumped into a few thugs on my journey here - gave me a good thumpity-thumping. It pains me in a few spots but It's what one gets for choosing his time and place poorly, I suppose."
"I'm not badly hurt, some nice people just dropped by and beat me to a pulp."
:smallamused:

Sorry, Urist, I nearly missed your response to Clauss's injuries and alarming other stuff, I really only noticed Jamros saying something today!Now, before you say anything, I just wanna say - let's please not spoil this by using game mechanics - wounds heal and stuff, and he doesn't have bleeding wounds (sans the tooth that fell out, but I think it should have stopped by now.) I don't know why I found the idea playing an injured character amusing, but I still do...:smallredface:

Sandviper
2014-10-02, 08:52 AM
Allundril listens quietly to those inside the room, while all the commotion goes on the other side of the room. I don´t find any diference between that and the other buildings in this town, equally loud. i´ll charge 10gp per day... plus, any loot found during this quest, divided equally within the members of our party, and if any healing services are required i would pledge for a discount in the cost if not for free, if there is a healer. allundrill ears its now tempted to look backwards to see whats going on since the dwarf stomped out

Immeral is another pc of my, sorry for that

Amanil
2014-10-02, 12:24 PM
Father Quintus mused for a moment then nodded. "Agreeable. I am sure Brother Sar'tul will be happy to tend to your wounds should it be needed. Regarding the distribution of assets, that is something you will have to work out with the rest of your party. Your proposal seems fair, as long as it is kept within what is deemed appropriate by law."

"If you have no other questions, please feel free to make any other arrangements you need and reconvene here at noon. Brother Sar'tul," he called out to the departing dwarf. "When you've contented yourself that peace has returned, send the next applicant in."
That's fine. Put yourself at 1 hit point, and try to make it sound less like you're dying from some sort of contagious infection and play up the bruises. :smalltongue:

TwentyFold
2014-10-02, 12:38 PM
Sar'tul Looked back a moment to hear Father Quintus' Order, then nodded saying, "Alri' Father, i will be back wit the next lad, or miss if need be" Sar'tul fully exited the room, and stepped out into the main church.
A stocky Dwarf Exited a door at the back of the church, proceeding to the queue with an angry expression. He wore Scale Armor fashioned to look like silver chain mail robes plated with small scales, and at his side was a club with a holy symbol of cuthbert hanging from it. He had gleaming silver eyes, and his Copper Beard had a large holy symbol weaved into the middle of it.
"Oi! What be the Comotion out 'ere."

Prince Zahn
2014-10-02, 12:59 PM
I'm writing that as "nonlethal damage", I don't assume there were weapons, just a bunch of brutes who pounded him, though I should mention at one point they took turns kicking his stomach until he vomited, needless to say, it wasn't pretty.

As for RP, it depends, really: I mean, are pounding wounds, sore throat and dehydration contagious?
Nah, you are kind of right, though, I may have gone a bit overboard to set myself apart from your average mysterious stranger with an ominous rasp - I figured I had to up the ante somehow, given not seeing anyone care :smallconfused: I want to invoke concerns for your fellow man (gnome) with Clauss one way or another, and I figured a little field experimentation was okay, maybe I should have checked with you first...? I am sorry if it came as a bit of a shock though. >_#
EDIT NOTE: I also figure it's a believable portrayal of "seriously misfortunate sap", especially given he does not have access to healing magic.

Oh! He also hasn't stopped to examine his injuries yet. so aside from his sore spots and physical weakness he thinks he can go on, and he is in for a surprise next time he looks in the mirror, hee hee:smalltongue:
Clauss stares at the dwarf with little to say but his truth.
"Just conversing, sir. For we are all waiting quite a bit out here."

TwentyFold
2014-10-02, 01:18 PM
Sar'tul looks down upon the gnome, and asks, "What be with you little lad, you seem a lit'le discolored.." Sar'tul then looks around at the rest of the queue, looking to who is in front of the line, and then to the priest who overlooked them. He gestures to the man to send the next one with him, and then looks back to the Gnome who answered for them all.
I heard more than just conversin', what were them jabberin's earlier.

Amanil
2014-10-02, 01:25 PM
The priest at the head of the queue indicates to Jamros that he should enter. "Father Quintus is in the room to the right, knock twice then enter."

TwentyFold
2014-10-02, 01:27 PM
Sar'tul Steps out of the way of the tall Half Elf, and proceeds to further inquire at the disturbance. Then calling back says, " if you would be a good lad, let Father Quintus know i will be with ya shortly"

Prince Zahn
2014-10-02, 01:49 PM
Good heavens - I haven't the heart to say "I lured a bunch of orphans from the church with shiny lights and empty promises" :smalleek:

I'm not crazy, by the way. My mother had me tested:smalltongue:

"'discolored?' What are you talking about? My 'colors' are at their prime, and Garl Glittergold could only have smiled upon my pilgrimage. T'is the Luck of the Gnomish, I would say. he says proudly, though his battered appearance and pitiful smile present a different notion.

TwentyFold
2014-10-02, 02:11 PM
Sar'tul Raised a bushy copper eyebrow at the gnome, possibly this gnome was lying, but by the way he wobbled, he thought he was just trying to shove the injuries aside. He then Raised a hand to the gnome and gestured him foreward saying, "C'mere lad, let me have a look at ya, if you have no mind to it."

Prince Zahn
2014-10-02, 03:16 PM
Clauss advanced to the dwarf by the door, not too easily, by the looks of it."Is something the matter, sir? It only makes sense I would have a few scrapes and bruises after this morning; but brutes with no blades can't slice a heart like they can smack the skin, could they?" he smiles to Sar'tul, perhaps a tad optimistically given what he's talking about.
That's mighty kind of you, are you a doctor or something? I'm admittedly guilty of forgetting.:smallsmile:

UristMcRandom
2014-10-02, 03:39 PM
Jamros nods gently to the others in the line and the priest as he steps forwards to enter the church.

Jamros approaches the door to the room the priest indicated, hesitates for one second, sighs, and then raps on the door twice in quick succession. He opens the door, and enters.

Navian
2014-10-02, 03:53 PM
Eirien turns her head and murmurs something... inaudible even to those who noticed her speaking. Seeing the line moving up, she let the right side of her cloak trail away and smoothly advanced on the door somewhat like a grey thundercloud, before stopping abruptly a few feet away to eye Sar'tul warily.

TwentyFold
2014-10-02, 04:18 PM
Thar be a good la... wait a mo, what thugs are ya talkin of?! Sar'tul raised a hand, but then lowers it as he pauses and asks the question, but even as he lowers his arm, waves of silver magic envelope you, and healing occurs. (Heal 1d8+1 (Cure Light Wounds), wish i had Vigor, if i did it would be 100% better).
Then, looking down the line while he waits for the Gnome to speak, he notices the eyes of an elf watch him warily, and nods in her direction, letting her be wary if she so wished.

Amanil
2014-10-02, 04:39 PM
The side room is small and simply furnished - a wooden desk with a neat arrangement of parchments and scrolls. Seated behind the desk is an elderly man, probably in his sixties. A stern expression is on his face, and his long, white hair is pulled neatly back. A short, neatly-combed, grey - verging on white - beard adorns his chin. He wears grey robes, similar to those of the dwarf who came outside, except this one has a band of sky blue running around it.

"Welcome," he speaks, eyeing the snake. "Another wildman here for a taste of civilisation, it seems. Tell me, sir, what talents do you possess that the church may wish to employ?"

Prince Zahn
2014-10-02, 05:23 PM
"there were a gang of them, I...think I remember one of them was an elf, but who can be sure? –it all happened lightning fast that my memory Serves only what I could feel and hear with mud in my eyes." the gnome cooperates to his best recollection. It's the least he could do for the priest who is willing to tend to his wounds.

"—Good heavens!" Clauss cried and stretches himself briefly. the pain -it is gone!" he smiles once more - "I know a little magic myself, but you, sir, are a miracle worker!" he reaches for a handshake with both hands.
Clause whispers away from elven earshot."between you and I, sir - I shall make it up to you somehow. I don't know how yet. The whole reason I came to Harlskeep was for an honest pay, so once I find one... It would be much easier to promise once I have what to offer, frankly, "

Navian
2014-10-02, 05:35 PM
"Broken ribs can pierce a heart, much as any blade," she comments, for Clauss's sake, as the healing takes effect. She observes the results. "Your fortunes today would please Erevan, I regret that I cannot douse you with wine, as you celebrate." Eirien somehow keeps a straight face throughout, gently leaning from side to side.

TwentyFold
2014-10-02, 05:35 PM
Well lad, it wa' nothin, just a simple helpin hand to ya. said Sar'tul as he looked back to the Gnome, shaking his smaller hands.
and jus' betwixt you and i, a dwarf ain't the best to lay a favor on, but i promise i be more humble than i look. Stealing a quick wink to the Gnome
Then, looking up to all, Sar'tul said i will return to interviewin, i will retrieve whoever is next once we be done with the last, he then took a long look up to the elf, smiled, then he turned, and went back to the interview room, his large callused hands behind his back.

UristMcRandom
2014-10-02, 07:26 PM
Jamros bows slightly before the elderly man, "Father Quintus, I offer for your service my mightiest nature magic, along with my club and my spear," he said, indicating the holly and mistletoe around his wrist, and his weapons.

Amanil
2014-10-02, 07:34 PM
The dwarf enters shortly after Jamros, close enough to hear his introduction.

Feel free to read UristMcRandom's last post addressed to the DM.
"I believe we already have a tracker arranged, but given that the criminals have likely taken refuge in the wilderness it may be prudent to have one in harmony with it come along. What say you, Brother Sar'tul?"

TwentyFold
2014-10-02, 08:46 PM
Tha' would be a welcome plan Father, especially since we ha' no naturaly attuned lads, one who be connected this much is welcomed greatly. Sartul Says, then gives a smile to the tall man, but then frowns at the snake, he raises an eyebrow at it then shrugs and goes back to sitting on his chair.

Amanil
2014-10-02, 08:59 PM
"Very good, very good... now, what do you believe your services as a guide of the roads and as a master of nature are worth? There is a risk of danger in this task - certainly nothing to be balked at, that I assure you. It is a good cause, though, if not the finest."

UristMcRandom
2014-10-02, 09:35 PM
Jamros pondered for a moment, shifting his weight from one foot to the other, "If the cause is worthy as you say, I ask only 7 gp for every day I am in your service, plus my share of any loot, and a small reimbursement on any spellcasting expenses."

Navian
2014-10-02, 10:18 PM
Eirien stands silently while Sar'tul departs, then takes a spot by the wall near the door, to leave her long spear to lean. She then props herself up against the masonry, and turns her head to watch Clauss, the priest, and what remains of the queue, with her hands crossed over her abdomen.

TwentyFold
2014-10-02, 11:05 PM
That be soundin Fair enough, what say you father?Sar'tul said as he gestured to the head priest of the church.

Prince Zahn
2014-10-03, 06:12 AM
"you do raise a fine point." says Clauss to the elf, a bit impressed by the concrete trail of clever thought that fizzled his saying. "I suppose there lies a hole in every proverb, if you think about it."

The gnome thinks a bit over dwarf's wise words, he concerns himself mildly on just how will he find himself paying for his own gratitude.

As Eirien passed him by and advanced to the door, Clauss urged himself to speak of it, but eventually held his tongue. One is best to pick his battles, and he would rather make friends today than more enemies.

"so... Eirienne*, you said? If I may ask, where do you come from?"
*= Silent "e", would a keen-eared race notice it?:smallconfused:

I know, I seem to have a way of asking so many of life's important questions... Sorry if I get a bit annoying:smallredface:

Navian
2014-10-03, 10:41 AM
If Frenchmen can hear it, I'm pretty sure elves can, too. When the 'e in the middle of her last name is added, it's an extra syllable, though (with a sound simply expressed as 'e'.)

Eirien frowns briefly, then rolls her shoulders in something like a shrug. She answers almost with a sigh, "The great high elven city of Athiritho, far east of here," by way of simple response. Her irritation is evident. "While my forebears will gladly explain, in great detail, all things from my lineage to my conception, I will not." The last few words almost dance off her tongue, though not in a cheerful way.

Amanil
2014-10-04, 03:02 PM
"That seems agreeable," Father Quintus nodded. "Naturally, you will be required to perform any duties Brother Sar'tul deems within your remit. Payment will be on a satisfactory completion of the task, and following Brother Sar'tuls report."

"If that seems reasonable, please send the next applicant in on your way out."

TwentyFold
2014-10-04, 08:38 PM
Sar'tul stepped out of the way of the half elf, and proceeded to his seat, where he motioned toward the door, saying, "No true trouble out there father, just some wee little mishap, other wise i think our next person shall be a bit interesting." With that, Sar'tul clasped his gruff hands together and stared at the door.

I cant remember the lines order well, but i found either one of the last other PC's would be interesting to my character.

UristMcRandom
2014-10-04, 10:37 PM
Jamros bowed respectfully, then stood and exited the church.

Jamros exited the building, tarrying a moment to speak to Sar'tul when he came to get Clauss.

Prince Zahn
2014-10-04, 11:32 PM
"You need not."
Clauss told the elf as they waited outside. "Color me daft, but I care little for heritage - they aren't as important as minding one's own well being."
Clauss said as he tries to show a little understanding and wisdom.
"but may the Sparkling Wit curse me, should one not seek to know another. You really never know - with these kinds of jobs, we might wind up partners." Clauss smiles with little concern on the thought's appeal.

Shortly thereafter he turns to Jamros "We~ll, Did you make the cut?" he asks the man on sight.

Navian
2014-10-04, 11:46 PM
She seemed to ponder, rubbing the side of her finger across her lips for a moment, before speaking. "I have some patience for that." She plants one boot against the wall, to prop herself up further. "Though, I had no patience for learning magic, or more accurately, for learning what to say to my teachers so that they might begin teaching me magic, instead of 'what comes first'.

"I spent the better part of my youth alone in the places between, or on the practice field. It's from there my skills come from, and I think, if we are to work together, it's our skills we each should know of one another, not our origins." She raised her chin at the conclusion of her speech, and once again crossed her arms as Jamros came outside.

UristMcRandom
2014-10-05, 12:26 AM
"It would appear that I have," Jamros says, hesitating for a moment before continuing, "It also appears I have missed quite an interesting conversation", he says, looking at Eirien.
Would you be opposed to me returning to Marella's tavern while the remaining party members have their interviews?

Prince Zahn
2014-10-05, 12:43 AM
"—That's quite a difficult position for a would-be apprentice." Clauss nods. "I learned my apprenticeship from a distant family friend - a skilled Shiner. But mind you the blind old bat thought I was dwarven the whole time and—."

As Jamros tells the good news, Clauss is quick to congratulate the him.
I chose to oblige you via interesting small talk:smallwink:
"—I'm afraid it's time to try my luck." he says, trying to keep a grin going."I'll be back before you can say 'Prestidigitation'!"
And with that uninspired remark, he enters the church.

Navian
2014-10-05, 01:06 AM
Eirien speaks carefully. "'Prestidigitation'." She looks about, and her ears twitch toward the door, after which she shrugs emphatically upon hearing the gnome has not yet reached the office. She tilts her head, focusing on the outdoors again, and glances toward Jamros. "I'm not sure how you would measure that, but I found it somewhat one-sided. Still, at least we know where he found that Shiner." Elven wit at its driest.

Prince Zahn
2014-10-05, 01:15 AM
"Still, at least we know where he found that Shiner." Elven wit at its driest.
Cute. :smallamused:

Amanil
2014-10-05, 01:49 AM
The side room the priest directed Clauss to is small and simply furnished - a wooden desk with a neat arrangement of parchments and scrolls. Seated behind the desk is an elderly man, probably in his sixties. A stern expression is on his face, and his long, white hair is pulled neatly back. A short, neatly-combed, grey - verging on white - beard adorns his chin. Standing to his side is the same dwarf who exited the church and addressed Clauss earlier. Both wear grey robes with white trim, with those of the seated man's having a second band of sky blue. The dwarf is armoured in scale mail.

The seated man eyes Clauss up and down - mostly down, given his height - obviously silently appraising him.

"Ah, a gnome, splendid!" The seated man speaks, obviously delighted. "We haven't had one of your kind here in months! I miss the light they bring to a room..." He seems to catch himself mid-nostalgia.

"But, of course, you are not here for my amusement, no... tell me, my son, what do you know of the way of His Righteousness, St. Cuthbert the Cudgel?"
That's fine. Feel free to make any assumptions within reason - Jamros' mother's reaction isn't plot-relevant so you can have it be whatever you like for flavour.

Outside, Eirien very quickly notes a couple of the very same children from earlier attempting to furtively approach along the side of the church. They seem to be practically dragging the halfling girl Clauss had showed charity to earlier along behind them. The taller of the three halflings youths leans down to her and says something in a language you don't understand. She looks directly into Eirien's eyes from a good thirty feet away and points a finger at the elf, lip wobbling.

The eyes of the three follow the pointed finger.

Eirien noticed them doing all of this (via decent Spot rolls) before they noticed her. She has a chance to play off as not noticing them if she wishes, or she can react in any other way she wants.

Navian
2014-10-05, 02:05 AM
Eirien removes herself from the wall and straightens up as the children approach, staring directly away from the building and pulling her cloak about herself. As they arrive and have words with themselves, she lets her hood fall down, and holds the rest wrapped tightly around her with folded arms, whereupon she addresses the lot of them, most especially the young girl from before. Her voice comes out cool and quiet. "...Why have you returned?"

UristMcRandom
2014-10-05, 09:05 PM
Jamros looked at Eirien for a moment, noticing the children only after she spoke, before shaking his head and walking away.

Prince Zahn
2014-10-06, 04:14 AM
Clauss hesitates a little. "Well, father, I–I– frankly, can't say much I know much about Saint Cuthbert."
Clauss thinks a moment before he digs himself deep into a mess - he desperately needs the work. "B-but that us not to say I am not open to learning. I only heard the name maybe once before back at Springler Valley."

Amanil
2014-10-06, 06:41 PM
"I'm sure Brother Sar'tul will indulge you with recitations from His Scripture during any long journeys and over campfires, Father Quintus smiled. "Now, tell me little-... that is, not little... my good fellow," he flustered. "What talents can you provide?"
The children look at Eirien for a few moments, apparently sizing her up, then exchange a few words. They turn and make to leave, bringing the younger girl with them, whose head turns to look back at Eirien.

TwentyFold
2014-10-06, 07:04 PM
I be curious as well, ya mentioned after i met ya that yer talent was laid in spellcastin as well, please indluge us on what yer meaning was. Sar'tul said as he looked the gnome straight in the eyes with own silver inlaid ones.

Navian
2014-10-06, 07:12 PM
Eirien removes one hand from her cloak, holding it up diagonally across her chest, and signals with a few fingers while mouthing some words. She waits for some kind of affirmation as the children retreat. Regardless, she eventually spins away to pick up her spear and wait patiently in her place at the front of the queue, nerves on edge and thoughts distracted.

She's attempted to use Bluff skill to communicate a message to the girl, secretly: 'Come tonight, come alone'. I'm not sure how to include rolls in posts, but I'm pretty sure it's just a check against DC 15.

UristMcRandom
2014-10-07, 12:36 AM
If it's okay with you, I'd rather not actually type up Jamros' visit to the tavern, I know how I want Marella to react, but I don't see a need to write out what ultimately only my character sees. Just so that you know (even though it's not plot-critical, like you said), I see her as being unimpressed/still refusing to acknowledge him.

Prince Zahn
2014-10-08, 12:46 AM
"Well, fathers, put simply put I create and manipulate light as a craft called "shining", and can create other things from inner luminescence - fire and glowing matter spring to mind, I am currently trying to learn lightening as well, which is far more challenging." Clauss explained while demonstrating his craft with his magic. lighting candles; conjuring tiny glowing, clacking spheres of solid light, and having them roll about in a floating bowl made from harnessed candlelight.
I'll mark the expended spells when I have the time, for the record they are floating disk, prestidigitation, and perhaps light, some of it is loosely refluffed for the sake of keeping things—
:smallcool:
—"Light"

TwentyFold
2014-10-08, 09:22 AM
Sar'tul watches the display with little amusement, and strangely there is an edginess to his expression. Well, lad, i be broken to shake yer hopes, but we must know how tha' may benefit our goals. Not if ya be a good performer lad. Na insult if i be kickin it on the wrong stone.

Prince Zahn
2014-10-08, 10:59 AM
"well, you are correct that there is a standard of artistry required for shining magic"Clauss defended. "but rest assured - these are merely basic samples of my capabilities, formulated because non-scholars usually don't even know what shining is before meeting me."
Clauss smiled in good humor as dismissed his little show and sat down."If I may ask, father, your notice merely read that you required 'freewarriors, mercenaries and adventure-seekers', but I know little else of the job besides the need to fight against something." Clauss presented them with a copy of the notice. "Now, I can certainly hold my own against attackers like any other magician of my caliber, but I would like to know who (or what) we are up against, or if you could kindly shed some light on the job that needs doing?"

Navian
2014-10-08, 04:27 PM
Okay, here's that Bluff check thing! [roll0]Assuming DC 15, a result of 15-19 means it makes sense, 11-14 means it doesn't, and 0-10 means it made the wrong kind of sense by some accident. That's entirely separate from anyone else watching aside from the Halfling girl, who might be trying to interpret it, though I didn't think there was anyone.

Amanil
2014-10-09, 08:13 AM
"A conjurer of cheap tricks," Father Quintus notes at the display, "though you have some aptitude for it, that is for sure. Brother Sar'tul, what do you make of these talents? Do you believe Clauss would be an asset to your investigation?"

He nods at Clauss' question. "Warriors of sorts are indeed one such category, but Brother Sar'tul's party is not primarily militant. We require those with an... inquisitive nature. We have a piece of a puzzle, we need you to find the other pieces without really knowing what the picture looks like. I am afraid I cannot be more precise at this time."
The girl looks back at Eirien, an obviously confused frown on her face. The group rounds a corner and disappears from sight. The priest at the head of the queue of one peers round quizzically.

"Do you know those children?" he asks casually, clearly looking to make conversation as a distraction from the mid-morning sun.

Navian
2014-10-09, 08:51 AM
"I do not know any children, but I think the young girl more deserving than most. I prefer not to give to the greedy." Eirien pulls her hood up and plants her spear, stiff in both pose and expression. She stands alert, but not cowering, holding her cloak almost as if she expects some small projectiles to come soaring her way from around the corner.

TwentyFold
2014-10-09, 09:44 AM
Sar'tul Ponders for a moment, Magic of the distractin' type can be a varied use, but i c'n think of a few ways we can put ya ta work. After the answer from Father Quintus: Sar'tul gains a more commanding possure, and says, "Any information ye could need, i will let off on ye when we have all of ya together, i never liked repeatin' meself."

Amanil
2014-10-09, 09:59 AM
"If you think he'll be of use to your cause," Father Quintus shrugs. "Tell me, master gnome, what do you hope to gain from this venture? We have seen a multitude of motivations here, which particular spark drives you forwards?"

Prince Zahn
2014-10-09, 10:26 AM
"well, father, among other things my good name as a scholar and as a magician was tarnished by my colleagues over irrational charges, and as I wandered from Springler Valley until Harlskeep today, I prayed every morning for the opportunity to turn my life around - or die trying. perhaps even return home one day, proven innocent and perhaps even with a story to tell to a hearkening minstrel - I hear they love to spread a good tale."

TwentyFold
2014-10-09, 10:31 AM
Indeed lad, a thought of home can bring about just such a winklin in any lads eyes. Sar'tul says as his eyes seem to be looking elsewhere, if not the very room he is in.

Prince Zahn
2014-10-09, 11:27 AM
I'm not 100% clear on it - did I get the job?:smallconfused:Clauss speaks clearly and confidently, shifting the tone of his voice with greater rhetoric than he originally led on."And all I need to begin this change is a chance, fathers, I will prove my worth and you will see in a good light that I am no mere legerdemainist, hermitting the land like a halfling's uncle. Nay, fathers; I am a gnome at his prime, rife with ingenuity coupled with arcane prowess. Surely the wise priests hear the children rhyme too: "A strand of string to feed a gnome's craze and his quorum of quackery will work and amaze". He lowered his voice to whispery pondering.
"Can you imagine, just what a gnome would do if he could pluck all the "strings" he could ever want from a campfire's burning tongue?"Okay, so perhaps Clauss is exaggerating, perhaps not. Either way - I want a spell that does this, perhaps a cantrip if it isn't literally a rope of searing flame:smallbiggrin:

Amanil
2014-10-10, 05:12 AM
"You have high aspirations, and a little ambition can go a long way. The church thanks you in advance for your service, and other than covering expenses I'm sure we can come to some arrangement over compensation pending performance," the priest states, as if the matter was resolved.

"Return at noon, where Brother Sar'tul will fill you in on the specifics. Please send in the next applicant if there is one."
"Children are worthy of our attention, a little guidance goes a long way," the priest notes. "Your views on charity are wise - better to provide for the needy than the greedy." He seems to chuckle at his own lame joke.

Navian
2014-10-10, 01:40 PM
Eirien softly comments, "Yes, that's the joke," her knuckles going white for a moment as she strains not to explain the double-entendre with all condescension. She eventually settles for the oblique and deflective approach. "Nearly all in these lands seem like children, to elven ears, be they knee-high or our height and half again." She slouches somewhat, leaning on her spear and letting her free hand dangle at the side, as if drained by the effort.

Prince Zahn
2014-10-10, 04:47 PM
"thank you, father Quintus; Father Sar'tul." He bowed oddly again and walked away."You will not regret it!" Feel better, Twenty. I hope it's just a rough day and nothing more... Fingers crossed for ya!Clauss was heard stepping through the halls and poked his head through the door. his head was held high - if only to address the others."Eirienne?" he smiled, naive of the mispronunciation of the lady's name."The Clerics will see you now. Good luck!" he walked out, curious of what to do until noon."Oh, and be careful with the fathers: a man aged with wisdom and experience such as father Quintus would not be easily impressed."
Sorry you had to wait on me to finish - busy day and my tablet broke - bummer. :smallfrown:
He stood there by the church for a moment, before finally asking.
"Father Quintus sent me on my way before I could ask for that herbal tonic" Clauss said, somewhat disappointed. "where can I get a pleasant drink in this town?"

Navian
2014-10-10, 05:04 PM
"I'm here," comments Eirien as the gnome addresses her. She nods to him and listens with partial attention and little expression, then turns her head back to the priest. "Excuse me," comes Eirien's request as she half-bows to him, left hand over her heart, half-apologetically and with half a smile.

UristMcRandom
2014-10-11, 10:12 AM
Sorry for all the useless OOC posts. I'm still alive, and I should be able to post something meaningfull tonight.

Amanil
2014-10-11, 01:48 PM
The side room Eirien was directed to is small and simply furnished - a wooden desk with a neat arrangement of parchments and scrolls. Seated behind the desk is an elderly man, probably in his sixties. A stern expression is on his face, and his long, white hair is pulled neatly back. A short, neatly-combed, grey - verging on white - beard adorns his chin. Standing to his side is the same dwarf who exited the church earlier. Both wear grey robes with white trim, with those of the seated man's having a second band of sky blue. The dwarf is armoured in scale mail.

The seated man eyes Eirien up and down, obviously silently appraising her.

"Welcome, my child. I am Father Quintus, and this is Brother Sar'tul." He motions with one hand at the dwarf. "What brings you under the roof of St. Cuthbert this morning?"

Navian
2014-10-11, 03:58 PM
Oh, I thought we were going to finish that conversation outside, first. I understand wanting to get this over with, though.

Eirien carries her spear under her arm, almost letting the point drag behind her as she weaves it around before leaving it outside the office. Her movements weren't relaxed, exactly, but sinuous, until she found herself in the presence of Father Quintus. Then she stiffened up and pulled off her hood, holding her hands at her side, her pupils contracting.

"Eirien Senireni is my name, Father Quintus. I come to answer the job posting, I'm in search of employment, as was described." Her voice and expression are tightly controlled, though her hands can be seen trembling as if anticipating confrontation. Once they are noticed, she glances down and quickly clasps them behind her back.

Amanil
2014-10-11, 04:18 PM
Sorry, assumed that bit just wrapped itself up.
"Of course you are," he nodded, glancing at the parchment in front of him and making a note or two. "And tell me, Eirien Senireni," he pronunciation is perfect, "what skills might you possess that you feel could be of value?" His blue eyes lock on to the elf's, and it is almost like the man is looking beyond what is visibly evident as he awaits a response.

Navian
2014-10-11, 04:42 PM
Eirien nods her head forward and shifts her weight along with it, a note of sarcasm finding its way into her voice. "Knowing nothing of the task but scant suggestions of whom is sought for it, I can only speculate. To keep it short, I can fight, ride, and find my way into lost realms where no one's dared trespass in centuries. Much more importantly, I know when to turn back and how to get out, else I'd be bones beside erstwhile companions." She takes a slow, deep breath to end her song of anger. Her eyes are never focused on his for long, she seems to take in the whole room, even the bare stone.

TwentyFold
2014-10-12, 12:54 AM
Sar'tul watches the exchange with amusement, and then studies the suspicious elf, watching her with an heir of distrust and curiosity, then looks back to Father Quintus to watch his response to her Sarcasm lined explanation.

Amanil
2014-10-13, 02:39 AM
"A fine skillset indeed, and by the way you say it I'd say I believe you," Quintus notes, making a few marks on the parchment. "So, let's not waste time dancing around the important details. The task you will be undertaking will likely involve an element of risk, but will primarily be investigative. Quite frankly, we don't know how much risk there will be."

He paused for a moment to appraise Eirien's reaction. "Given this, what would your daily fee be? I'm afraid I cannot tell you how long the task will take, so if you have financial obligations please keep that in mind."

Navian
2014-10-13, 04:02 AM
Eirien nods, and looks pensive, quickly brushing one thumb across her cheek while otherwise maintaining her posture, then continues to gesture one-handed for each point of her speech, as she goes on in a reedy voice.

"I expect pay in gold, at least five pieces per day, plus expenses, less with room and board. I need compensation for what risk proves worse than travelling the roads alone; and a worthy bonus for breakthroughs in the investigation, particularly of the sort that makes lasting enemies. Is the task within Harlskeep?"

Her eyes gradually focus on Father Quintus, though they seem to dart across his outline without locking on. Eirien appears to be more relaxed, and seems to express a mix of nervousness and bewilderment that's at odds with her straightforward and flawless diction. She clasps her hands out of sight once more after asking her question.

Amanil
2014-10-13, 04:36 AM
"That seems reasonable - payment will be made weekly or upon completion. Any expenses will have to be agreed with Brother Sar'tul, we will recompense those he approves. You will be acting with the authority of the church, any acts that reflect poorly on us will lead to disciplinary action as permitted by church law." He adds a few more notes to his parchment.

There are three levels of laws common throughout most of the civilised lands in the area (their jurisdiction and authority vary, of course):
Crown Law / King's Law - the individual rulings of the monarch (known as Queen's Law if the current monarch is female), who can overrule the lesser laws in any case. Generally King's Law is only invoked after direct petition, and then almost entirely in cases involving nobles. Cases of treason are always covered by King's Law.
Church Law - sometimes known as Temple Law, this is the rules enforced by a given religious body. It rarely covers areas covered by Common Law, but often comes down harshly on those who would do ill against the religion. Church Law can only be in effect if one of the criteria is met:
It directly involves a priest/clergyman of the given religion.
It occurs on land owned by the religion.
The head of any given sufficiently large church says so. Because of this, the predominant religions in an area are almost always good, and often lawful, otherwise they can be viewed as corrupt. Some seek leniency regarding an infraction of Common Law, and clemency often comes with a monetary "donation" or promise of service/pilgrimage. Heads of churches have a significant amount of power, but very rarely stretch outside of their immediate domain.
Common Law - enforced by the local lord and the town watch, this is the set of rules that affect most people day-to-day. It lays out what's generally illegal and the appropriate punishments. It covers crimes such as murder, rape, robbery and assault. It varies slightly from region to region but mostly only in severity.
The specifics of the laws here are a little fuzzy to you - back home church law was rarely relevant, but evidently here the church at least gets involved in some things.
I feel like it's relevant to point out that heads of a church are able to enforce their religious laws to some degree. Essentially, as long as it doesn't encroach on the rights of the common man the church is free to act as its own policing body. It's been heavily implied that this task will be treated as an official enactment of the church's authority, with all of the privileges and responsibilities that entails.
"I cannot promise milestone payments in gold, but the church rewards those who prove to be of service, and I think you will find the tokens of our generosity sufficient. I anticipate some seizure of goods during the task - the distribution of that I will leave to your group to agree on."

"Brother Sar'tul, based on what you have heard do you think Eirien will be of use to your group? I do not wish to burden her with any more details unless necessary."

Navian
2014-10-13, 04:51 AM
The changes in Eirien's expression are slight, but she frowns at the mention of church authority, and gives the merest shake of her head throughout the rest, before raising her eyebrow at Sar'tul. Her eyes dart back toward Father Quintus, twice, but otherwise she remains as still as an unenthusiastic statue.

TwentyFold
2014-10-13, 09:34 AM
Sar'tul stares for a breadth of time at the Elf, looking directly at her eyes, even if she does not look back. His beard twitches once, twice, before it splits from his mustache, and in its place are his lips in an open smile that never meets his eyes. As he speaks his accent heard from earlier diminishes, freeing his speech, "She will make a fine wrap up, Father Quintus, she make a fine wrap up indeed." He then stares at her some more before addressing her in his newer tone of voice, "If you would be many a kind individual, and meet me here at noon, then i will brief you in our concerning business, then i believe we will know your true mettle."

Dont worry, this is just Sar'tul Expressing a concern, without really revealing it too heavily, the wise ones out of the lot will probably spot it well enough though.

Navian
2014-10-13, 04:40 PM
Eirien unfreezes to fold her arms and tilt her head, and eventually manages to narrow her gaze onto Sar'tul's for a moment. Once he's done speaking though, her attention jumps back to Father Quintus. "Of course. By 'acting with the authority of the church', you mean, as a mercenary? I can be polite, but I cannot pretend to be Cuthbertite."

Amanil
2014-10-17, 06:59 AM
For the sake of stopping this game from stalling, I'm moving things on. Those currently inside the church may find things a bit jarring, but nevermind.
For the record, Sar'tul's player edited what he said - he's asking for Eirien there at noon today rather than noon tomorrow. You can update your post accordingly or not.
Once the interviews were over, Father Quintus sat for a moment pensively.

"Brother Sar'tul, it seems we have quite the eager group ready to do the bidding of His Righteousness. I cannot stress how important it is that St. Cuthbert's ways be followed during this endeavour. Now, on to the task at hand... Brother Isaac's task force is heading to Jannisthorp, a two-day journey away, to attempt to follow and bring to justice a group of kidnappers. This task is significantly more linear than what I ask of you."

He rifled through some of the parchment on his desk, drawing out a single sheet with words written in a language unfamiliar to you.

"Some time ago a devoted member of our flock volunteered that some of his associates seemed less than pure. A little while later, he came to me with grave concerns. It was evident that they had been swayed to the ways of The Maimed One - the foul creature that is Vecna - and indoctrinated into his cult. Given this, I believe that the kidnappings in Jannisthorp are linked to this. I have not heard from my contact - Christon - for the past week, which is unusual, and I fear the worst. He has, however, left the names of the three associates."

He transcribed some of the information in a language familiar to Sar'tul - phonetic dwarven - and handed him the parchment.

"Eloras - a low-life who lives near the docks, Dagguh - last working as a bouncer at The Foamy Pint, and Hilda - a local merchant, who may be trickier to track down."

"Keep in mind that these people are innocent until proven guilty. Your task force is relatively diverse, and I believe has the skillset needed to find these people, extract any relevant information from them, then move up the chain to root out this plague on Harlskeep. Try not to draw attention to yourself - these are likely the lowest level members of the cult, and their souls can still be saved. It is the leaders and the recruiters that we need to find."

"Do you have any questions?"

Feel free to continue this conversation/ask questions as parts of your next posts.
As noon approached the chosen candidates made their way to the church. Standing at the podium is the dwarf you all recognise as Brother Sar'tul. Father Quintus is nowhere to be seen. The rest of the church seems empty - services are held at dawn and dusk - aside from the priest who was minding the queue earlier who is busying himself with setting out fresh hymnsheets along the pews. Once the group is assembled, Sar'tul addresses them.

Navian
2014-10-17, 01:56 PM
Jarring, yes. I don't know how to fill in the blank, could have ended with anything from an angry rant to a refusal to engage to being swayed by a persuasive argument for the value of money. I'll just assume it was a bit of everything, which leaves Eirien more or less in her default state. I made the edit already on Wednesday.

Prince Zahn
2014-10-17, 02:41 PM
@Navian: I agree that it may be lacking something. Perhaps you guys could continue it privately via... E-Mail or something? I don't know. Though if there's a chance of refusal, it could be better off, all I know is that the show must go on! Somehow!:smallbiggrin:
Clauss made sure to return early, hoping to make a slightly better first impression than last time. Once Clauss notified the church of his arrival, he waited to be summoned back in from outside under a tree (or other nearby shade available near high noon.) so as to not disturb the clergy's ceremonial preparations. He notices as others from the line show up as well, greeting them with a cheery hello and a calm smile.

TwentyFold
2014-10-17, 10:33 PM
Sar'tul did not answer for some time, thinking on the situation at hand. "We shall be able to find them well enough, and i will do my best to hold any thirst for blood and pain on the tightest of iron shackles. Meanwhile father, the very fabric of this mission could depend on the very actions we take, if it comes to word breaking out toward the rest of these very kidnappers, what do you advise we do?."

Sar'tul studies the gnome quizzically throughout the morning as he preoccupies himself to pass the time. But as noon approaches, Sar'tul prepares himself for those who would join him upon his mission, and as they all approach, he studies each. Meanwhile giving second glances to the Half Elf and the Elf as they to approach. While he studies he strokes the Painted Symbol of Cuthbert woven into his beard.

Navian
2014-10-18, 12:19 AM
Eirien arrives in a brisk and no-nonsense manner near the appointed time, halting abruptly to pull her cloak shut and cross her arms beneath it. Her demeanor suggests mixed emotions, none pleasant or dominant.

As she waits, she stands more rigidly, as if in apprehension of the coming speech. It seems that for once, she's not straining to hear every noise all around her, though her eyes dart around the room, taking in everything and nothing, in that particular way of hers. It can't be said that she observes Sar'tul carefully, but a twitch of her eyebrow suggests some sort of involvement.

UristMcRandom
2014-10-18, 09:55 PM
Jamros entered the room quietly and took his place, his mouth clenched in what was almost a grimace. A single tear half-formed in his eye before being rapidly blinked away as he tightened his grip on his spear. He glanced around the room, noting the return of many of the people from earlier, then directed a steely gaze at Sar'tul, awaiting direction.

Amanil
2014-10-19, 04:23 PM
Retconning for stuff inside the church. In hindsight, cheating you of the last bit of your interaction was unfair, though my intentions were to get the game moving for everyone else.
"I prefer the term 'agent', it is far less militant," Father Quintus notes, a wry smile at the wordplay. "We cannot expect you to follow our ways, but at least to respect them and take them in to account for your actions. For example, in no part of your investigation would breaking the law be condoned by the church, but you will act as an agent of our law in this undertaking, with the privileges that brings."

He straightened some of his papers, looking back up at Eirien for a moment. "Will that be all? If, once, Brother Sar'tul has explained the details of the task to you you wish to change your mind, the only oath we will keep you to is keeping the information to yourself. I assure you that doing so will be for the greater good."

Navian
2014-10-19, 06:03 PM
Eirien leans to one side at the end of the speech, as if lightly considering turning and running out of the church as fast as she can. In an artificially breezy way, she says, "Yes, I'm familiar with that," and narrowly avoids adding 'from the other side'. "If I need anything else, I'll ask your 'agent' about it." She nods in agreement with herself and stands ready to leave.

TwentyFold
2014-10-20, 05:26 PM
This is assuming everyone has joined (allundiril has been excused for now until he returns) around Sar'tul and awaits debriefing.

Sar'tul looks around at the hired group, bearing himself for his speech, and speaks at once in an authoritative voice, with the hint of his earlier friendliness, "Welcome, lads and lass, you are each gathered here, whether by Cuthberts will or no, to seek justice, or to seek reward. Whichever be the case, i ask of each here, that they will follow each order i give them, and if they have a clearer idea, or a better suiting one, speak with me before enacting it. The reason i say such a thing is because this mission is of a sensitive matter, not one that can be carried out by mere mercenaries, but by those of cunnin' and of skill." He looks around at the group, before continuing, "Also because lives hang at risk, and by no means shall we allow follies to sunder our goal. Now, to clarify my gibberish, our mission is to gain as much information as we can muster from a few people who have been rumored to be in cahoots with these felons. And i implore, to each of ya, that we make as little noise as we possibly can.
"And by noise, i mean we make sure there aint no commotion, we keep quiet, and maybe we will be well and able to get this job done." Sar'tul watches for any reactions, his silver eyes meeting each that dare look, and then he ended his speech with: "Questions?"

If you have private questions please go ahead and keep em low and quiet and hit me on a spoiler, and you can ask em whenever.

UristMcRandom
2014-10-21, 10:01 AM
Jamros stepped forward, "I have a question: Who exactly are these 'felons' that you speak of?"

TwentyFold
2014-10-21, 10:43 AM
Sar'tul focused his attention at Jamros as he stated his inquiry, then spoke to the whole congregation once again, "Not long ago, several devotees of our church, abandoned the will of Cuthbert, who is strong and just, to join a cult of Vecna. Through a reliable source, who is currently unheard from for some time, we believe that this blasphemous grouping is behind such acts.
"Currently, a different group of hired individuals has joined another priest to Jannisthorp, to root out and put and end to this cult. Our Mission is to root out the cult here in Harlskeep, through those who have abandoned Cuthbert, as they are only known individuals of the cult we know of. But since these members are most likely low in their ranks, i again implore ya that you all make no scene, or else we may not succeed." Sartul stared back into Jamros' eyes, and asked again to all, "Any further questions?"

Navian
2014-10-21, 02:47 PM
Eirien shifts from foot to foot, eager to get moving, though likely not due to enthusiasm. She wears a frown as the cult is explained, before asking her question.

"We are to lure out and ambush a small band of infidels? That seems almost too simple." She looks around to appraise the rest of the group, soon holding the back of her hand tightly over her mouth as if her thoughts might escape from it.

TwentyFold
2014-10-21, 04:04 PM
Sar'tul looked to the elf, then sighed, "Lass, if anything, that will be the last of our plan, as soon as all of ya are ready we are actually to interrogate each of these deserters, then, if we don' alert the cult, we might actually be able to find and bring justice to them, otherwise, the ease of this mission is not so. Otherwise we would just hire random sell swords from the side of the road, and besides the point. Otherwise i don' expect us to wistfully dispose of this cult as it is, or else the locals would have likely dealt any blow before we could ever. But, lass, if ya have such skill to dispose of those dedicated to chaos and death, then i assure you, you can deal with them personally while we sit back and watch your clear finesse." Sar'tul gives her a slight smile of amusement before returning to his upright posture. Then he looked back at the strange elf and stared her as best he could in the eyes with his own silver orbs, and said in a more quiet tone, "Otherwise, expect anything, and hope for the easiest solution, that would be the for the best."
Sar'tul then looked at them all, with a kinder glint in his expression, "As me family has taught me time and time again to correct ignorance: "expect the worse to happen, because those of pessimism are always pleasantly surprised when the best possibility occurs."" And then he returns his gaze around, returning to a more business prepared expression, looking for any more questions.

Sorry if Sar'tul comes off as sort of chastising, just how he was raised, but he tries to make up for the arseish sounding remarks :smallredface:

Navian
2014-10-21, 06:01 PM
Eirien removes her hand from her mouth and watches Sar'tul with growing suspicion and derision, that reaches a crescendo as he mocks her ability. She stands completely rigid until the chance comes to let these loose, and although she attempts to remain deathly serious, a babbling, sing-song tone creeps throughout her speech.

"Hmm..! Mind, you did seek out 'random sell-swords from the roadside', I recall the advertisement. There was no such request for seduction or confidence artists; if you expect us to find the information you need by deception alone, I must question your 'strategy'.

"The simple solution is to take your ex-members down swiftly and silently, isolated, under cover of darkness. From there, they would be bound, gagged, and hidden in sackcloth, and carted to a safe house of yours, to await any 'inquiries'."

She starts to take a deep breath, but then quickly finishes,"You need not remind us that things can go wrong."

TwentyFold
2014-10-21, 06:56 PM
Sar'tul raises a thick, copper eyebrow, and then his expression turns grim, "Despite my dislikin' of these turn cloaks, we have been requested to keep them whole and hardy, as Father Quintus believes they are able to be saved, which i silently disagree, but i will abide by his wishes as this is not a church i watch over. Meanwhile, to my knowledge, this group doesn't seem to consist of walking greed with swords, at least to my knowledge, instead we selected each of you for the job at hand. Meanwhile, if you do not recall elf, there will be no law breaking, but if these traitors decide to scuff with us, which i hope to avoid, well i guess we will see your profession in its true wantonness wont we?"

Basically, was thinking that we took you guys BECAUSE you weren't really ones that looked to make fuss, at least that is what i can make sound when it comes to my thinking, otherwise, brandish away at chaos i say!

Amanil
2014-10-21, 10:14 PM
Basically, was thinking that we took you guys BECAUSE you weren't really ones that looked to make fuss, at least that is what i can make sound when it comes to my thinking, otherwise, brandish away at chaos i say!
For the record, this group is the less martial of the two by far. I anticipate a greater deal of investigation (of one form or another) than combat. It fits better with PbP. Of course, there are plenty of stabby ways to do things.

Navian
2014-10-21, 10:23 PM
Eirien calms down somewhat, holding her hands palms together before her, as she responds quietly, with her head bowed.

"They cannot be 'saved' so long as they remain in contact with their cult, and the risk of detection and bloodshed is higher if their decisions cannot be pre-empted. However, I will follow instructions whether they make sense or not, so long as there's gold in the bargain." She tilts her head and dons a feeble smile for emphasis, then falls silent.

Prince Zahn
2014-10-22, 03:03 AM
"How can we be sure they are not redeemable? One does not simply stray from a righteous path into a dark and secret one, and it is difficult to make one lose true faith." Clauss reminds others of his existence below them. "if they can turn one way, they could turn to the other. Simple as that, but hardly as easy."

"I myself am a bit shaky about the plan."Clauss ponders."to my recollection, Vecna rules over secrets and all things dark and hidden - Secrecy must be sacred among them. I can imagine any interrogation would be harder than giving a transmuter a tortoise and convincing him not to turn it into his alchemy laboratory." Clauss is unusually skeptical, but betrays a lot of pondering and muttering.
"we would need a deep investigation to get any information, Perhaps abduction? Torture? No, that is a bit mean, and it could trigger the cults attention... How does infiltrating their lair sound for maybe peacefully getting the information we need? Though such action may be the most dangerous option, should we get caught."

Navian
2014-10-22, 09:29 AM
Eirien shifts and comments in low tones, distractedly, "I think you're over-imagining the scope and depth of this cult, and also overestimating the loyalty of such recent turn cloaks to their new masters."

TwentyFold
2014-10-22, 09:29 AM
Sar'tul does his best to gain better vision of Clauss, before sighing and then going back to speaking to the whole group, "If anything, reasonable to think that it will be a difficult to turn them, again, not my idea, but this church's wishes. Meanwhile lad, the whole reason we are interrogating these turn cloaks, is because we both have no idea where the cult is, nor who is actually apart of the cult, which could be half the town by any of my knowledge."

Prince Zahn
2014-10-23, 12:03 AM
"Understood." Clauss confirmed. "well, Before the turn cloaks upped and left the church, did anyone notice any peculiar behavior on their part? I have doubts that the transition from righteous to wicked was immediate."

TwentyFold
2014-10-23, 12:32 AM
"Sorry lad, i was not laden with such minor details, only that they forsook righteousness for the way of death, but that should matter little, we will soon find out their reasons for leaving, and more i do expect," Sar'tul said with a shrug.

Prince Zahn
2014-10-23, 12:41 AM
"It may have helped, just like any other detail could."

Navian
2014-10-23, 01:00 AM
"As one last speculation, the matter of these few might not be one of light against dark. The turn-cloaks may have joined cult and church alike in a whimsical manner, or perhaps to seek power, without having true faith in either. It is by far the most prosaic explanation. But enough of this, it is past time to cease pondering and seek the truth." No longer pleading, she lets her hands fall to her sides, and stands straight with iron in her tone.

TwentyFold
2014-10-23, 09:38 AM
"That would be our job, finding the truth, and of course, we must away soon as it is," Sar'tul says with a sigh. "All those who wish to turn down this assignment now, i implore ye to turn back now, and keep this mission a secret to any and all."

Prince Zahn
2014-10-23, 11:22 AM
Clauss ponders for a moment before saying anything - on the one hand, it is a major job and not particularly his line of work, but on the other hand, he may never get a second chance.
He steps forth.
"I'm with you, father Sar'Tul! We'll give those Vecna-praisers a good one-two, that's for certain! Clauss cheered and approached the dwarf leading the operation.
Small minds think alike!
Oh wait, that sounds wrong... Let me try again!:smallredface:
Us short races gotta stick together, Eh?:smallbiggrin:

UristMcRandom
2014-10-23, 06:58 PM
Jamros had been standing back, letting the others speak, but largely focused on his own thoughts. He suddenly looked up, facing the entire group, "It seems to me that it is best for us to depart immediately, before this cult actually does include the whole town."

Navian
2014-10-23, 07:20 PM
With a glance toward Allundril, Eirien comments with disdain, "Then, except for the yeoman-mute, it's unanimous. Do we have any leads, or may buying drinks be excused as the first of our expenses this day?" She folds her arms and drums her fingers across the circular patterns of rivets covering her elbow.

TwentyFold
2014-10-23, 11:41 PM
"We choose from one of the following traitors, and take to them; Eloras, some low life near the docks, Dagguh, who recently was hired on as a bouncer at the nearby Foamy Pint, and Hilda, a merchant, one who is said to be the hardest to track down," he looked to the group to see if there were any of them who recognized the names.

I just found a really derpy fact, these people were associates of someone who was mainly devoted to the church of Cuthbert, apparently they are not specified as being priests or any completely devoted people of the church of cuthbert, though i hope they were, and if not i am sorry. Also, i hate myself because i knew i was forgetting some detail, must have overlooked that so many times...:smallmad:

Navian
2014-10-24, 12:49 AM
Eirien shows no recognition, and carries on briskly. "So, they aren't together. More but easier work, so long as they don't catch on. We can make Eloras disappear once we find him, Dagguh may take some baiting or provocation, and for Hilda we need more information. In all cases, it must be made opaque who is after them." She seems to deliberately hold back from making the decision.

Amanil
2014-10-24, 12:55 AM
I just found a really derpy fact, these people were associates of someone who was mainly devoted to the church of Cuthbert, apparently they are not specified as being priests or any completely devoted people of the church of cuthbert, though i hope they were, and if not i am sorry. Also, i hate myself because i knew i was forgetting some detail, must have overlooked that so many times...:smallmad:
I was going to mention this, but thought it funnier this way. As you've realised of your own accord, feel free to stumble over some sort of comment regarding how really everyone is either a follower of St. Cuthbert or has lost their way, or something. :smalltongue:

UristMcRandom
2014-10-24, 09:48 AM
"Perhaps we should track down Eloras and Dagguh first, then interrogate them for information about Hilda?"

Navian
2014-10-25, 05:15 PM
After taking a look at the others, Eirien quietly responds, "So long as Hilda doesn't catch on, yes." After a moment, she decides to stride out and turn to address the group, with an eerily calm manner. "It seems simplest to start with the easiest target, but if we make any mistakes the more difficult ones will become even harder to reach. Still, we have so little to go on, it's only more speculation.

"We'll start by asking around, how one might get in touch with Hilda the merchant, and if that does not bear easy fruit we'll search for Eloras next. Dagguh may become difficult to uproot if he catches wind of this, but at least he has a fixed location. Do we have an agreement?" She narrows her eyes, virtually cutting Clauss, Jamros and Allundril with her gaze as she scrutinizes them.

Prince Zahn
2014-10-28, 07:35 AM
"It sounds like as good a plan as we could come up with, given what little information we have presently."
Clauss claps his hand as a gesture of summation. Leaving behind an echo slightly louder than clap itself.
"All in favour - say 'aye'!"
nothing to see here, citizen. Carry on.

TwentyFold
2014-10-28, 09:23 AM
If that be yer plans, ill agree, aye."

UristMcRandom
2014-10-28, 10:59 AM
"I'm in, aye," Jamros said, glancing around the group. He lifted his spear and strapped it across his back with a leather band affixed to it slightly below the tip and slightly above the base, then looked over the crew they had assembled: the leader, the thief, the good-natured one, the silent one, and himself.

Navian
2014-10-28, 12:21 PM
Eirien snaps, "We begin, then." She grabs her own spear off the wall with a twirl of her cloak and a dash of her hand, then storms out of the church. There's certainly no concealing it or passing it off for anything else, it's nine feet long and designed for war. "I should perhaps stow these unless Hilda is an arms dealer, or similar." She indicates her crossbow along with it, then turns her head to address Allundril. "Have no fear, humble archer, this is under control; there's plentiful soil to till, back home."

Amanil
2014-10-28, 12:22 PM
Allundril, after listening to Sar'tul and clearly pensive, seems to appraise the mood of those in the room as he internally processes the information.

After some time, he stands and speaks to the group in general. "I believed we would be doing something more heroic than chasing down ghosts and rumours. I am sorry to have to leave you, but I believe I can find a task better suited to my talents in short order." He looks around, trying to make sure no one took huge offence at his potentially slightly insulting remark.

Not a peep from Sandviper - his character's all mine now. Got a replacement lined up, I'll work them into meeting with you at some point but don't feel you have to wait for them. You'll know them when you see them (because it'll be them posting :smallbiggrin:).

Prince Zahn
2014-10-29, 07:26 AM
"well, if that's how you feel about it - I will pray that what heroic calling you find will be more suited for your tastes than hunting worshippers of darkness."
Clauss lets out an arbitrary cough, smiling nervously with shifted eyes before turning the other direction. if there was anything he wanted to say, he chose not to say it for some reason.
"I reckon that if our search begins with a merchant, our first direction would plausably be the market - or, more precisely, asking marketeers?"

Navian
2014-10-29, 03:41 PM
Eirien doesn't pay word or mind to anyone but Clauss when he follows her."My thought was taverns. Any merchant of note has employees... or at least customers. Our luck in the market would depend on how much she cares about reputation, which could be very little if she a monopoly on what she supplies." She surveys the street outside.

UristMcRandom
2014-10-31, 06:55 PM
Jamros, following just behind Eirien, visibly reacted to the word "taverns", a dark look crossing his face, "Even so, it would be best to check the markets now, when all the vendors are out. The taverns will be serving their customers all night," he said, a slight bitter tone creeping into his voice.

Navian
2014-10-31, 07:11 PM
Eirien gives a jerk of her head in grudging assent."Fair enough. Noon is when taverns are fullest in Athiritho, I've yet to learn what's the case in Harlskeep. We may start in the marketplace."

Amanil
2014-11-02, 02:49 PM
Harlskeep's market spanned the central square, an outer square, and the road between. It was a loud and boisterous affair, with vendors of all sorts calling out their wares. For the size of Harlskeep, it was clear that the market here was larger than it needed to be to support the locals - perhaps it was a convenient stop to offload some goods on their route? Supply was higher than demand, and this kept prices competitive.

The bulk of the stalls were food of one description or another - from early fruit, to hard rye bread, to meats of a plethora of animals (some sounding decidedly unusual), and live animals themselves. Tools and cloth were also well represented, with basic hammers to intricate devices for obscure purposes you've never heard of, and from homespun wool tunics to silken dresses. Fewer in number were those selling weaponry, and a few peddlers of purported "magic" items.

The outer square is a little smaller, and contains the majority of the livestock and base goods. The central square had the more refined and luxury items - though a few of the stalls still sold something a little more common - with the road in between having a wider variety of assorted stalls.

How do you wish to go about looking for Hilda?

Navian
2014-11-02, 03:17 PM
Eirien's strategy is to go about asking anyone that seems particularly knowledgeable if they know a merchant by the name of Hilda. If, by chance, this is ever successful, she'll bribe them somehow to get more information. It's Gather Information, really, so: [roll0] is the skill roll, [roll1] is how long it takes to produce results (and likely how much GP it costs.)

Eirien strolls out into the marketplace, having left almost allof her gear locked away in her inn room, so as not to look quite as conspicuous. She still has her sword (and her sap) with her, though, and they are ready to draw on her belt. "We'd best start asking. For now, we have nothing to go on but a name and a general profession. If you learn any more, be sure to share it with the rest of us, so we don't come across as quite so foolish."

UristMcRandom
2014-11-02, 05:51 PM
Pretty much the same for me.

Jamros, on the other hand, had kept his gear, with the exception of the spear. The snake remained draped over his shoulders. He glanced around the market, his eyes finally settling on the live animals, he turned to the others, "Alright. I'll begin over by the animal sellers," he said, beginning to walk towards the stalls.

What are the conditions of the animals as far as Jamros can tell?

TwentyFold
2014-11-04, 11:54 AM
Sar'tul wanders the stalls, watching each of the party as they go about their business, and then approaches the nearest jewelry cart and admires the wares. After a time Sar'tul begins to chat w/ him/her.
Trying to get chatty with the jeweler to gain a bonus on Gather Information, or at least i will try diplomacy and attempt to become more friendly with him/her.

Amanil
2014-11-04, 01:47 PM
I can't see why anyone would have any objections to each other knowing about the others' results, so I'm just going to post them all here. Assume you don't know about each other's until you meet back up, so you can't use any of that knowledge in your initial investigation.
Eirien's wide canvas of talking to individuals who seem to have some familiarity with the area - not necessarily just merchants - turns up a friend of a friend towards the late afternoon. A half-elf by the name of Forllil, a relatively well-dressed middle-aged man, knows of Hilda via a mutual contact - she's a local merchant, opportunistically buying and selling whatever she can to turn a profit. He only sees her on occasion, doesn't deal with her directly, but one of the people he buys his tools from - a Roland Smithson - apparently has frequent contact for whatever reason. Roland's the son of a blacksmith, whose forge is on the west side of town, outside the main walls.

No need to cross off gold, there are plenty of folks here who are willing to talk.
Jamros finds a large array of livestock - mostly young, being sold between individual herd owners to balance out their herds - and a goodly array of pack animals and horses. For the most part, they're in good health - or at least have the appearance of it. A lot of the trading seems to be done without actually seeing a significant number of the animals involved. Listening in, it's clear that many of the farmers bring in the top and bottom of their herd and guarantee that all animals in a trade will be somewhere between them in terms of value. It saves from moving large amounts of animals around, and keeps them out of the town itself. If Jamros is interested, he spots what looks like a particularly strong trio of mules being sold below their worth.

Sar'tul is drawn to the jewels like a moth to flame, though given his background the offering here is far from impressive. Most of the jewelry is the sort that may be worn by young women before their betrothal, but a few choice items definitely have some dwarven influence - you actually recognise one of the jeweller's stamps as that of an average craftsman of your home. Unfortunately, despite being friendly and appreciating the dwarf's critique of their wares, the vendors here don't seem to know of a Hilda.

Clauss gets distracted from their original purpose very early on, instead looking at the wondrous paraphernalia available at the stores of the largest market he's been in in as long as he can remember. Most of the shiny trinkets that catch his eye are just cheap garbage, but his beady gnomish eyes pick out some items that may very well be the real deal amongst all of the promises.

For whatever reason, Clauss believes that the following items are as advertised. They come from a variety of vendors. Whether it's just their smooth talking or actual quality products is another thing entirely. If Clauss wishes to use Detect Magic (I haven't actually checked if he has that spell) then let me know.

Vial of Fortune (10gp): consumable, +1 luck bonus to your next attack, save, or skill check.
Sparkstick (60gp): Essentially, an infinite-use tindertwig. Looks something like a 6 inch long metal rod with carvings down its length, and has been shown to at least appear to work.
A variety of 1st level potions (book price) - ask if you want a specific one.
Healing salves (10gp) - treat as consumable items of Cure Minor Wounds, but can only be used on a person once per day.

Navian
2014-11-04, 03:10 PM
Eirien shares with the others, after taking back all her gear from her inn room, "There's a blacksmith just outside the walls to the west who has close contact with Hilda. He could be a supplier--or a member of the cult. We can go interrogate him there, assuming he's at home or at work." She must be expecting trouble, the only thing she hasn't brought is her longspear, and she even has her spiked metal gauntlet attached to her left arm.

TwentyFold
2014-11-04, 08:22 PM
When Sar'tul met up with the rest of the group, he heard from each their results. "It seems as though this smithy is our best course then, we be off when you are all ready."

UristMcRandom
2014-11-05, 12:17 AM
Jamros, after looking the mules over, inquired about the price. He'd inquire about Helga in as casual a manner as he could muster.

If the mules are affordable, and I can come up with an in-character justification,I may purchase one.

Once this was settled, he'd report his findings to the group after reclaiming his spear, "If that's what the consensus of the group is, I'm in."

Prince Zahn
2014-11-05, 02:04 AM
I'll waste no time:
Yes, I do have Detect Magic, Clauss knows better than blindly trust a merchant - lord knows if such items - ill-gotten or otherwise - were authentic.
If there is anything that is, in fact, authentic, he chose to try and bargain with the merchants:
[roll0]"how much for this (each authentic item, in order/potion of Mage Armor/oil of magic weapon?)? I'll trade you for a Gnomish antidote fang for it - why does it glow?, it shines because of the rare holy spell bestowed into it by the Gnomish clergy all the way from Springler Valley - why? Speaking as a gnome myself, we just love to make such oddities."Well... Multiple merchants mean multiple sense motive checks, right?

Amanil
2014-11-05, 04:41 AM
Despite Clauss' attempt at haggling, all of the merchants are adamant in their prices with the exception of the one selling the "Sparkstick", who agrees to 55 gold pieces. The potions and oils are being sold at 45 gold pieces - whether this is reasonable or not is up to Clauss.

I rolled some more checks for you - funnily enough merchants and vendors tend to have quite high Diplomacy skills (Diplomacy is really what's being used, I gave a circumstance modifier/penalty depending on the result of the Bluff). Cross off a use of Detect Magic: given that the stores are close to each other it's possible to identify that all of the individual items and at least most of the potions are magical. Whether their magic is as advertised is another thing entirely.
UristMcRandom, the mules are a little under book price (8gp each) at 7gp each. From a game mechanic point of view, they rolled well on their hit dice so have a higher amount of hitpoints than the average mule.

For everyone else, once Clauss and Jamros have worked out what they're doing you can be assumed to have met back up. It will be late afternoon when you do so, so plan accordingly.

UristMcRandom
2014-11-05, 08:56 AM
Jamros, after looking the mules over, returned to assemble with the party. He would mention the price of the mules, and their status, just in case any of the other party members were interested in pack animals.

Navian
2014-11-05, 11:25 AM
Eirien is appreciative, yet sceptical. "Unless Hilda turns out to live forty miles into the wilderness and rides an invisible griffon to work in town, I don't know that we should need a pack mule for this job. It would be nice if we were going on such a trek--or if one of the contacts we're pursuing turns to have a whole room full of goods to loot." She jerks her head in a non-committal manner.

Amanil
2014-11-06, 01:56 PM
After realising his coin purse was light enough for his haggling not to matter, Clauss soberly goes on to ask about the actual reason for them being in the market. The vendor of healing salves recognises the name "Hilda" - the two buy from each other on occasion. She hasn't seen Hilda around for a while, but doesn't really look out for her other than in passing. Trade has been good lately, which means she didn't have much stock left to offload.

The group gather together in the market to discuss what they'd found. The sun is still well above the horizon - the early summer days being warm and long - and there's probably a good few hours of decent sunlight left. Trade is generally winding down somewhat - the customers are returning home, which means the merchants have less reason to stick around - and the aroma of cooking food drifts from the numerous taverns just off the market square.

What's the plan?

Amanil
2014-11-08, 09:33 AM
The walk through the town involved dodging a few carts and wagons as merchants began to move their wares, but was otherwise uneventful. The guards at the gate looked bored and tired after a long day of checking papers, and after a cursory glance waved the party through.

The outer rim of buildings were newer than those inside Harlskeep - generally packed a little less closely together, but primarily single-storey, or single-storey with an attic. Housing out here was more spacious, but probably significantly colder in winter. Stone and brick were still plenty evident, but wood was used more and more as a main construction material.

The blacksmith Eirien had been directed to was fairly close to the wall, and just off the main western road. Given the hour much of the industry in the area seemed to have closed down for the day. Indeed, the smithy was shuttered from the front. Smoke could be seen coming out of a chimney, however.

Prince Zahn
2014-11-08, 10:15 AM
Aside from nearly getting trampled by a speeding wagon on the trek to the forge (and raving on about the luck of Garl that prevented the accident for the fifteen-or-so minutes that followed), Clauss followed the others quietly to their next lead.

Noticing the chimney smoke rising from the smithy struck him off.
"Somebody inside wants to keep others away." Clauss pointed out the matter as it was. "This does seem to be the place, Eirienne. Nice work!" Clauss smiled up to her, his tongue still unpolished over her not-difficultly-pronounced elven name.

TwentyFold
2014-11-08, 12:34 PM
We canno' tarry any more than we have all, let us lay words upon 'im and hope we have the right kind of source. Sar'tul starts towards the nearest front door, himself inspecting everything about the building he can.

Navian
2014-11-08, 02:02 PM
Eirien neither smiles nor comments, barely acknowledging Clauss. In preference to skulking about, she simply strides forward to knock on the door, then takes several steps back to stand behind the others in hopes of not having to do the talking.

Mardoc
2014-11-08, 10:28 PM
After you knock, there's no immediate reaction. Just about when you're thinking to knock again, you hear the bar being removed, and the door opens. There are no lights inside, but the sun's still high enough to illuminate the entry hall clearly. It looks...kinda drab, actually. There's a bench, a couple cloaks on pegs, an unlit lantern, and two faded tapestries.

At the door stands a lean young human, with curly sandy-blond hair and a well-trimmed beard. He's a handsome guy, for a human. He's wearing a stylish green jerkin with fine embroidery. The green matches his eyes, and the jerkin fits him perfectly. He looks carefully at each of you, taking a moment to fix your features in his mind, then he smiles.

Can I help you folks? I don't believe we've done business before.

What do you need? If it's not something we do here, I'm sure I can direct you to a friend.

His voice is firm and clear. He stops and waits for your reply, looking your spokesman in the eye.

TwentyFold
2014-11-09, 02:15 AM
Sar'tul looks at the man with a smile, then he starts to twiddle with the lower braid of his beard as he responds. 'ello sir, we are here for business with a miss named Hilda, just wonderin if ya know of her where abouts. Sar'tul then looks the smithy right in the eyes with his own silver ones, inquisitive, yet kind and open.

Mardoc
2014-11-09, 08:37 AM
Here, for business with Hilda?

He blinks.

But surely she would have told you where to meet her. Yesterday she was in town, so I can't imagine her missing an appointment. And if you don't have an appointment, perhaps it's something I could help with instead? We're in more or less the same line of work.

He offers Sar'tul his hand. Roland Smithson. I run the business side of the smithy, and I dabble in trade on the side.

You hear a small snort from the room behind when Roland says 'dabble'.

Navian
2014-11-09, 12:35 PM
Eirien attempts to put on her best airy tones of pretentiousness. "The trouble is, thus far it has proven quite difficult to establish such an appointment. I'm afraid our needs are select, Roland Smithson." She's remarkably stiff about it.

Bluff: [roll0] I so regret neglecting this skill.

Mardoc
2014-11-10, 09:42 AM
Roland laughs.
Select needs? For Hilda? Unless what you need is whatever happened to be cheap last month, I find that hard to believe.

And such an assorted collection of people, too.

He focuses on Sar'tul again.

Look. Is this Church business? St. Cuthbert isn't my patron, but I do respect Fr. Quintus.

Definitely going to Sense Motive on the answer here. If that works on PCs - I don't quite remember.
[roll0]

Amanil
2014-11-10, 10:00 AM
It doesn't "work" mechanically, but you can take the result in to account. For example, if you roll particularly low you may be oblivious to some rather obvious social cues, or if you rolled particularly high you could take in to account what the player wrote as part of their post that wasn't explicitly stated (e.g. thoughts of the character, motivations for doing something).

Navian
2014-11-13, 12:58 AM
Eirien seems to drop the pretense with an exasperated gasp as everyone seems to look to someone else to do the talking. "I'd prefer to keep things simple. We need information from her. 'Talk is cheap', but whatever happened last month, that knowledge is not always for sale."

TwentyFold
2014-11-13, 01:34 AM
It be Church business lad, we only wish to contact her, so if ye be so kind, please, we seek any help ye can give.
Sar'tul gives Roland a look of business, and then raises an eyebrow.
Unless, o' course, you would like to withhold information from our likes.
Sar'tul's Copper beard gives a twitch for the briefest of moments, before turning into a stern expression, awaiting answers.

Prince Zahn
2014-11-13, 02:58 AM
"Now, now, we don't have to get testy. " Clauss speaks up, albeit belatedly. "I'm sure we could talk matters over with master Smithson better in a more amicable fashion. Sir, how about we talk this matter through, and perhaps some business as well, with a drink in our hands? We're buyin'!" Clauss added to help sweeten the deal, and perhaps save the situation from turning a more hostile direction.

Mardoc
2014-11-13, 09:43 AM
Roland responds:

Whoa! Of course I'm willing to tell you what I know, since you're with the church.

Will you come in and talk? It seems you'd like to keep the nature of your business quiet.

UristMcRandom
2014-11-13, 12:15 PM
Jamros, long silent at the rear of the group, finally spoke, "It seems to me that that would be a good course of action, given the nature of our business,"

TwentyFold
2014-11-13, 12:34 PM
Sar'tul looks back at the troupe behind him, realizing their lack of subtlty, and when he returns his sight back into Rolands eyes, they bear only friendliness.

Aye, that would be the better for this moment.

Mardoc
2014-11-13, 02:01 PM
Roland opens the door further, and steps back.

Speaking over his shoulder, to the right, he says:
Dad, it's church business. Could you join us?

Dad's a good friend of Fr. Quintus, he can give us good advice
He leads the way to the left.

The sitting room is just over this way.

As you enter the front hallway, you notice a sheathed rapier hanging from a peg by the door, and a blacksmith's hammer sitting on a little table next to it. A couple steps down the hall, you enter the parlor.

The parlor looks very comfortable. There's a collection of well stuffed armchairs, couches, and little tables sitting around. The fireplace is unlit, but the room is warm enough without it. As Roland enters, he opens the shutters on the upper windows, to let in light and air, and then offers

Would anyone like some ale, while we talk?

After getting your requests, he leaves the room. An older man enters, carrying a tankard emblazoned with a symbol of St. Cuthbert. He's clearly related to Roland. His blond hair is turning grey, but his arms and body show his strength. He's dressed in work clothes.

Be welcome in my house.

He sits down in the comfiest chair, and doesn't say anything else. He's clearly going to let someone else carry the conversation for now.

A minute later, Roland bustles back into the room with undecorated mugs of ale. He distributes them, keeping one for himself, then sits in whichever seat is unoccupied.

Gentlemen, the fact is that I don't know exactly where Hilda is. She roams. I'm sure I can find her, though. I saw her last night in the market, so I know she's in town, and I know the sorts of places she visits for both work and relaxation.

But is it worth my time? Hilda's a friend of mine, and it's hard to believe she's involved with something really wrong. Sometimes the church pays more attention to petty things like smuggling than they really deserve. What's she suspected of?

Navian
2014-11-13, 03:17 PM
Eirien was not easily coaxed to sit down or relax. She raised her eyebrow in response to Roland's question, then answered tersely. "She's suspected of knowing something. I'd prefer not to specify what it is, but it concerns Father Quintus enough to be worth something to me, so I think it ought to be worth something to you, as well."

TwentyFold
2014-11-13, 04:20 PM
If we are to tell you our right business, you are to keep your word that you will not reveal our mission, as it involves the lives of many.
Sar'tul speaks to both father and son equally, keeping a business like standing, and then waits for what their response is.

Sorry if my posts are low on detail and content, i get plenty of short periods of time to post, but not really any lengthy times to post.

Prince Zahn
2014-11-13, 04:50 PM
"Why thank you kindly, don't mind if I do!" Clauss accepts a mug of ale and sits down. He was invited - it would practically impose more to reject hospitality than accept it.
He eyes the sheer size of the mug, it always surprised him how much bigger people could drink. "You know, Roland, though I couldn't speak for a dwarf or halfling to save my skin, a gnome could suffice with a flagon one-fourth this size. Which is why the big boys like to dub us half-pints." he smiled with unpolished charm at his humorous saying, quite sure of himself and of his words as his good teeth shimmer from the fire - thank Garl heb at least cleaned his teeth since this morning!

It's been a rough week. Don't wanna talk about it... I can't think of much to add at this time so at least I can RP a little small talk, I guess?

Mardoc
2014-11-13, 05:12 PM
Eirien's comment seemed to make an impression on the father, but Roland seemed unimpressed. At least, he didn't bother responding. Fortunately the others spoke up quickly enough to prevent his silence from being too awkward.

Oh, of course, Master Gnome. I didn't want to assume anything and risk neglecting you, that's all.

When Sar'tul makes his request, Roland nods.
Yes, I'll keep your words in confidence.

His father also nods, but confines himself to a grunt.

TwentyFold
2014-11-13, 05:26 PM
Recently, there have been several kidnappings. This occurence has been linked to a cult of a more low hearted god, and Hilda has been linked by a trusted source of Father Quintus', we wish to ask her, in the hopes of saving lives. Such a deed must be carried out soon, or else By Cuthberts Blood Soaked Boot, we might be finding corpses decrepit.

Sar'tul bears a grim expression, and then stands perfectly still as he awaits the father or the son to speak.

Hope i did not mess up too badly.

Mardoc
2014-11-13, 05:58 PM
Kidnappings! And a cult. That...that can't be, this is civilized territory. You're having me on!

Roland's father shakes his head.

Son, you've got a lot to learn about the world. Only reason you haven't heard of these things around here is that Fr. Quintus jumps on them hard before they get too serious...usually.

You've had your fun, and your innocent childhood, but it's time to grow up! Stop spending all your skills on that happy-go-lucky travelling. You can handle yourself; it's time to give back. Help these folks.

Roland gulps.
Yes, ok.
He looks back at Sar'tul
Did...did you want to go find Hilda tonight? It'll take me a few minutes to get ready.

UristMcRandom
2014-11-16, 11:20 PM
Jamros spoke up again, "That seems to be the best plan to me," he turned to Sar'tul, "unless our fearless leader has any other ideas."

Navian
2014-11-17, 12:14 AM
Eirien speaks very quietly, mostly because her commentary doesn't seem important. "It can wait until tomorrow, if she'll still be here. I'd like to get this over with as soon as possible, but if it's better not to rush, we can rest and prepare."

TwentyFold
2014-11-17, 01:52 AM
Sar'tul's features change, as his features contort into some kind of forced composure as he looks back at Jamros. He mutters something darkly, then turns back to the two hosts.

We would be happy to borrow your son on our mission, we just need name and his help in all this, which i would hope is not just words.

Mardoc
2014-11-17, 11:58 AM
Roland stops talking for a moment to think.

We probably do need to go now, actually. A merchant who's not moving is a merchant going broke, and Hilda's been here a full day already. She's probably spending the night in town, but if I were her, I'd be on the road tomorrow morning.

I'll just go get ready

When he returns, Roland is dressed in stylish traveler's clothes - a dark green cloak over well polished leather armor. He wears a matching green cloth hat at a jaunty angle, and a rapier at his belt.

His father gives him a nod, and says 'you'll do fine.'

Let's go check the inns.

I'm not quite sure what you meant by "we just need name and his help in all this", Twentyfold.

TwentyFold
2014-11-17, 12:00 PM
Your name, and what you will contribute, aka record all that stuff since you are joining us. Sorry if it is worded a little weird, just on the spout.

Navian
2014-11-17, 02:39 PM
Eirien led the way, partially due to impatience, partially because it meant she wouldn't either be surrounded by the party or trailing behind them. She kept a close watch on the darkening surroundings and lengthening shadows, as the sun was setting, and took them to the nearest place on the itinerary.

Amanil
2014-11-17, 03:24 PM
A quick skim of The Jovial Jester turns up nothing except some rather cringeworthy comedy being performed on stage. The Honest Haggler seemed like a likely spot, given the clientele there was better dressed and had a few obvious merchants in their number, but though the innkeep knows Hilda he says she is not staying there tonight.

Next up was The Iron Flagon, just as the sun sets. Before you turn the corner to even see the establishment there's obviously some sort of commotion - loud shouts from what must be a goodly number of people, generally sounding angry, reach your ears. One of the patrons exits rather hastily as he is defenestrated - though fortunately the windows are only shuttered, not glassed.

Did I concoct this whole scenario just to use the word "defenestrated"? Maybe. Is it plot relevant or just for flavour? Who knows?

Navian
2014-11-17, 04:07 PM
Eirien was definitely on edge, but she was definitely on the 'run away' side of that edge, observing the commotion."Hm. I doubt this has much to do with Hilda, or that she would want much to do with it. Perhaps we should keep moving."

Mardoc
2014-11-17, 05:57 PM
Roland responds:

You said there was a cult involved too. Maybe it's their doing!

He loosens his rapier in his scabbard, but doesn't draw. He's clearly excited by the action.

UristMcRandom
2014-11-18, 12:33 PM
Jamros paused and closed his eyes as if deeply focused on something, then raised his hand and cupped his ear.

Listen check for any clues about what's going on inside. Are you rolling this or should I?

TwentyFold
2014-11-18, 04:52 PM
Sar'tul looks exhaustadly at the drawing of the rapier.

Seems that ye be ready to moreover start the fight than see if it is one. Lets keep a little bit of a low profile till we can figure out what is goin on.

Amanil
2014-11-18, 05:08 PM
Listening a little closer, you think you can make out a couple cries that sounds more like screams as well as the shouts.

You can announce your intent to listen, I'll roll the results. Please note that if you roll especially low on an "active" listen I may add some false information. Don't assume this result is false, but don't assume it isn't either.
Note that Roland hasn't drawn his rapier, just made sure it's easily available.

TwentyFold
2014-11-18, 05:14 PM
Still...don't want to be prepared to cause trouble as much as to stop it (or prevent it)

Mardoc
2014-11-18, 05:49 PM
Roland blushes. And then deliberately flexes his hands and leaves them by his side.

Yes, of course. Let's go see, then!

He bounces on the balls of his feet, but waits for the rest of the party to start moving.

Navian
2014-11-18, 06:14 PM
Eirien doesn't go first. She's not being paid to go first. That being said, she will pay very careful attention from behind whoever does go first, and if no one else wants to go first, she'll give Roland a nudge in the right direction.

She doesn't mind being the first to peer cautiously around the corner, though.

Spot check on the fight, listen check on the voices, sense motive check to get a hunch about why this is happening, maybe... That ought to be more than enough for now.

UristMcRandom
2014-11-18, 08:15 PM
Jamros, still near the back of the group, spoke up in a hushed voice, "It sounds almost like someone's screaming in there. I would advise caution if we were to enter."

Prince Zahn
2014-11-19, 12:14 AM
Feeling the slight tension in the air, Clauss lets out a laugh."you call that a low profile? If anything, you'll be even more noticeable with those looks on your faces!"
Clauss steps forward, not for one minute expecting the worst that could happen.
"I hope to see you fellows inside before the stars come up." he says before walking first through the door.Remember what I wrote on my sheet about Clauss and fortune? Here's hoping that comes into play. #FamousLastWords:smalltongue:

Mardoc
2014-11-19, 10:20 AM
Roland follows Clauss, just a couple paces behind.

UristMcRandom
2014-11-21, 12:51 AM
Jamros remains still and on alert for a few seconds more, then he sighs and mutters what is presumably a curse in Elven. He straps his spear to his back again and enters the tavern, though his hand lingers near his club in case of trouble.

Spot check, plus another Listen check.

TwentyFold
2014-11-21, 02:45 AM
Does know when to get things along don't he?

Muttering to himself he proceeds, throwing caution to the possibly non-existent wind.

Amanil
2014-11-23, 03:29 AM
Clauss is greeted by a bottle smashing against the doorframe to his side. The scene is one of a barfight well out of control. The room has probably thirty brawlers. Hunkered down behind the bar an occasional scream of distress can be heard, and a scared face of one of a number of serving wenches peeks up. Crouched next to them, club in hand, a half-orc growls at anyone who gets too close, obviously ready to strike.

For the most part the fight is with fists and feet only, though a fair have taken to using broken bottles or chair legs as improvised weapons. The odd glint of steel hints that some may be using something more lethal. There seem to be equal numbers humans and elves in the mix, but given the chaos of the encounter you won't be able to differentiate unless you look for it. On occasion, one is armoured in light armour, but again - given the fluidity - you may not be able to tell unless you're close.

Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight! :smallbiggrin:

Let's see how this goes. Initiatives were determined by the order I deemed you to be going in. I'll allow very short conversations outside of your initiative order (e.g. warnings, suggestions), but keep it in check.

If an action warrants a response from me that doesn't affect the next person's action, feel free to post without waiting for me. If you think it might need a response, you're welcome to wait. I'm pretty good at keeping up with combat (and will update the map regularly), so make sure to check the map (on the correct turn) when working out what you're doing.

Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uupsihoXSCz_rIEXYJfPDLeo6bPyUUyx9R9Pzft9dEM/pubhtml)

Initiative order:
Clauss
Roland
Jamros
Sar'tul
Eirien
Brawlers
Other

Prince Zahn
2014-11-23, 05:13 AM
To say that the broken bottle shocked Clauss quite a bit would be an understatement. Why would somebody do that? It could have ki— Why are all these people fighting? There are so many of them - gotta keep my eyes peeled, but which way to face?! The sudden rush overcame Clauss for a few, precious moments.
I never liked going first :smalltongue: Clauss subconsciously delays his action for later this round.
and might I add, I really like the map - almost makes up for the wait.:smallwink:

Amanil
2014-11-23, 10:21 AM
Take 50 electric damage from a lightning bolt. Never mind how that physically works.

Also, as you're delaying, feel free to interject whenever. Make sure to keep an eye on the thread, as I won't wait for you between posts (unless it gets to your go again next turn).

Mardoc
2014-11-23, 10:34 PM
Roland looks around quickly, to see if he recognizes any of the brawlers. He'd love to get a clue as to what the sides are or if it's a free for all.

He reaches for his rapier, pauses, and then grabs his sap instead. There is no way that he wants to join the minority and spill blood just yet.

Then, he opens his mouth and begins to sing a satirical song about a young boy pretending to be a hero, slaying imaginary foes and real insects. Despite the subject matter, the song manages to boost the party's spirits.

Bardic inspire courage effect +1 to attacks, damage, and saves against fear

Amanil
2014-11-24, 12:01 AM
You spot a few acquaintances in the throng, but no one you know more than in passing - familiar faces, if you will. Now you're paying closer attention, you notice that you can't really see any humans fighting humans or elves fighting elves (unless a misjudged bottle throw counts).

UristMcRandom
2014-11-24, 05:35 PM
Jamros snatched up his club, looking around the room carefully. He kept it ready in case anyone came into range.

Ready Action: If anyone comes into range, I swing.

TwentyFold
2014-11-24, 09:09 PM
YOU CHEEKY ***WAFFLE, a bard XD

Sar'tul keeps a calm exposure then sighs and looks around for the largest and dumbest brute he can see.

Spot (Hope it is easy to spot someone big and stupid) [roll0]

Navian
2014-11-24, 10:17 PM
Eirien signed hastily, and then slipped inside. "I'll get us started, then. For Erevan." By the time she was done speaking, she'd already hurried past Sar'Tul and Roland, and spun into a sort of twirling dance as she approached the defenestrator that lay inside to the right. She administered a vicious snap of her knee toward the brawler's right kidney as she made it into contact, holding her hands up to ward off blows and maintain her balance.

Attack Roll: [roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Prince Zahn
2014-11-25, 07:49 AM
I gotta admit, I never would have predicted a bard.:smalltongue: nice work hiding your craft:smallbiggrin:
Upon coming to, Clauss spotted the barkeep and his crew hiding behind the desk, and was hatching a plan in action.
"There's too many of them - we need the Tavern staff's aid!"
Clauss musters his shine magic to cast a spell that may protect him, as a flat, glimmering layer of light floated at his head-level. Crawling under it, he shouts to Sar'tul. "I'M GOING IN!"

casting floating disk, crawling in the direction of the barkeep whilst under it. Hoping for the best:smalltongue:

Amanil
2014-11-25, 09:18 AM
Your assessment of people allows you to make a few observations:
There are one or two particularly burly humans.
There don't seem to be any humans attacking humans, or elves attacking elves.
People are definitely, on the whole, drunk. They seem less sure-footed, but also don't seem to mind being hit quite as much.
Will mark the tougher-looking humans on the map when I update it.
The elf that Eirien aims a kick at drunkenly staggers as her knee connects. He looks confused at her for a moment before swinging his arms wildly, something she easily sidesteps.

Your hit connects, but not allowing sneak attack as this combat has been ongoing. Maybe a bit cruel, but oh well. If you can flank an opponent you obviously will get your sneak attack damage.
For the purposes of working out flanking (particularly relevant to Eirien, but applies to everyone), and for whatever other purpose you wish, I'll allow a DC10 Spot check as a swift action (i.e. one per round) to work out if a particular individual is threatening another individual. I will apply flanking bonus as relevant whether you know about it or not.
The brawling continues with punches, kicks, and bottles being thrown all over. There's a goodly amount of grunting and cries of anger from the mob as a whole. No one pays any heed to the gnome moving towards them.

You realise that, because of your height, you could probably use tables for significant cover. I'm reading "crawling" as "ducking under" - rule of cool and all that. Your movement speed is reduced by 5' while doing this.
Those behind the bar keep down, though the half-orc gives someone who got too close a hefty thump with his club, sending him reeling.

Updated map and initiatives to come (at work, can't access Google Docs there). Off the top of my head, it's the same as last round except Clauss is now going just before the brawlers. There isn't much change other than Eirien being over by the guy by the window and a crazy gnome getting himself into trouble. A few of the brawlers shift slightly and a couple go down. If it's relevant to the finer points of your movement, feel free to wait for an update.

TwentyFold
2014-11-25, 10:35 AM
Sar'tul looks at the nearest Brute, and spreads his arms, as though embracing him from a distance. Then the Holy Symbol woven into Sar'tul's Beard begins to glow, the garnet in the center becoming a glowing red sun from which a a large hand escapes. The hand wraps around Sar'tul in a nimbus of gray light, which expresses several shields barely audible within it.

Using Sanctuary Spell: DC to attack me: 14

Then Sar'tul moves the throng, drawing his shield along the way.

UristMcRandom
2014-11-25, 04:21 PM
Jamros, seeing Clauss running into the fray towards the Half-Orc, begins to sprint forwards after him, carefully avoiding getting too near any of the brawlers. As he moves, he chants something in a strange language and signs with his hands as his divine focus shimmers. Red and orange spectral images of falling leaves and spiraling whorls of yellow light dance together around him, then surround and embed themselves in his club, which glows as if on fire.

Cast Shillelagh, move following Clauss, trying to avoid getting into AoO range with anyone.

Amanil
2014-11-25, 05:21 PM
Urist, you missed out Roland. Happy to treat your action as the same when it gets to Jamros' turn. Let me know if you wish to do otherwise.

Roland
Jamros (action stated)
Sar'tul
Eirien
Clauss
Brawlers
Other

Adjusted initiatives for delayed actions. With regards to movement, can you make sure to include an OOC note telling me which square (i.e. co-ordinate, such as "F7") you're moving to. If it may have an effect for AoOs let me know what squares you're moving via as well. If you don't do this you leave it up to me, and I may pick the nastiest of the routes. :smallamused:

Updated map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uupsihoXSCz_rIEXYJfPDLeo6bPyUUyx9R9Pzft9dEM/pubhtml). Be sure to make sure you're looking at the latest tab. Not all actions have corresponding tabs (i.e. those which didn't involve movement).

TwentyFold
2014-11-25, 05:24 PM
All i got to say is i really hope this game goes past 9th level, cuz i have crazy ideas for beard powers,
Hint: something to do with Cuthberts Holy Boot

Mardoc
2014-11-25, 05:25 PM
Roland keeps his song going, and joins Eirien. He swings his sap at the defenestrator, hoping to finish him off and let Eirien move onward.

Move to I7 by going around the table.

To hit: [roll0]
Nonlethal damage: [roll1]

Amanil
2014-11-25, 05:34 PM
Roland's strike to the side of the man's head obviously stuns him, and he falls such that he's half-hanging through the window he'd ejected someone through moments before.

All i got to say is i really hope this game goes past 9th level, cuz i have crazy ideas for beard powers,
Hint: something to do with Cuthberts Holy Boot

Get that OOC nonsense to the OOC thread. :smalltongue:

Also, just realised that I didn't move Sar'tul because of me being a mean DM. Adjusting map now. Put any confusion it causes down to the fact that you're not really synced up as a team yet rather than my incompetence.

Navian
2014-11-26, 09:00 PM
With one *ponent defeated, Eirien breaks away suddenly, whirling into the fray past Clauss and Jamros. Upon arrival, she gives the brawler that blocks their path a slap, preparing to ward of blows and onrushing opponents with open palm strikes.

Eirien goes back around the table and straight down to L11, before striking the brawler in M12. She's attacking defensively, with an unarmed strike. Her AC will be 18 for the rest of the round.

[roll0]
[roll1]

She is is technically 'armed' with her spiked gauntlet on, despite not having drawn any weapons, so she's going to use it for any Attack of Opportunity. She'll take the -4 penalty for dealing nonlethal damage with it, though, so it's unlikely to hit if one is provoked.

TwentyFold
2014-11-26, 11:59 PM
Sar'tul draws his club and swings at the Big Brute in front of him.
[roll0]
Dmg: [roll1]

Amanil
2014-11-27, 03:55 PM
Both Eirien's and Sar'tul's strikes fall far short, even with the slightly uncoordinated nature of their targets.

Sorry for delay in posting, needed access to the map and Google Docs is blocked at work. It's Clauss' turn!

Prince Zahn
2014-11-29, 05:52 AM
As he advanced along, Clauss began to feel the danger flow in his veins, until he stopped short as his movement was impeded by a cluster of brutes.
"pardon me, need to pass through. " Clauss spoke, to which nobody heard in light of the brawling.
"hey - I-I really must get through plea–" His voice faded, as he was ignored and unheard.
Taking a step out from his hiding spot, he mumbles a three words in pent up anger, the only audible one was that which he screams at the very end, more so as blazing white light shone forth from his palms and eyes.
"–ENOUGH!"
I'm sorry, Did I forget to mention Clauss has some... issues?:smalltongue:
Clauss stays stationary at M10, with his barrier moving towards L10. last round's destination is supposedly where he ceased advancing.
Burning hands( what else, really?:smallwink:,) with M11, (LMN)12 and (LMN)13 as my area of effect.
[roll0] fire damage, DC 14 reflex half.

Amanil
2014-11-30, 10:55 PM
Sorry for slight delay, a lot of rolls to make so I wanted to do it in one sitting.
Clauss' rather dramatic display brings cries from those affected.

The column stops the spread somewhat, but it still hits those in M12, M13, N13 and the unfortunate soul in N12.
The flames catch on the one standing closest to Clauss and the man on the ground next to him, licking at their loose clothing as the fire takes hold.

The standing man throws himself to the ground, rolling around and trying to extinguish the flames slowly working their way over his body - though his screams of agony are lost in the general cacophony. The pyrotechnic display certainly draws interest from those nearest, with the one armed with a chair leg charging towards Clauss in anger. He seems to stumble on something, but he catches himself and swings his weapon at the gnome.

Eirien has the option of an AoO at either the man trying to extinguish the flames as he rolls on the ground or on the man charging for Clauss. If you wish to take it please roll, otherwise let me know so I can resolve the remainder of the actions.
The one to Eirien's back right seems distracted, and the elf he's fighting takes the opportunity to smash a bottle over his head. The large man Sar'tul seems to have challenged laughs at the dwarf's swing. "I didn't think I'd see the day that a dwarf would choose their side," he announces, half-heartedly swatting at the dwarf with a fist and stepping such that he could better deal with the supposed challenger.

Take three subdual damage. Note that you don't get an AoO - obviously the man has brawled before.
In the corner near Roland, the unarmed man seems keen to leave the confrontation, hustling past Roland and making for the door.

You may make an AoO if you wish.
The elf he flees from laughs, tossing his dagger from side to side as he moves onto his next target, he lunges at Roland, but the singer is too nimble and the blade meets nothing but air.

Aside from that, most of the combat is mostly uneventful; a few hits are landed and a few more brawlers hit the floorboards. The half-orc behind the bar glares at Clauss, but seeing that leaving the staff unattended would be risky elects to simply yell at him.

"You fickhead, do you want to burn the place down?"

No, that's not a typo, that's what he calls out. :smalltongue:

Please wait for responses in either here or the OOC thread from Eirien and Roland regarding AoOs before carrying on with the next turn.
Roland
Jamros
Sar'tul
Eirien
Clauss
Brawlers
Other
Updated map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uupsihoXSCz_rIEXYJfPDLeo6bPyUUyx9R9Pzft9dEM/pubhtml). Be sure to check the latest tab.

Navian
2014-11-30, 11:05 PM
Eirien does not consider hitting the man when he's down. The one with a chair leg, though, she deems necessary to deal with. She swiftly thrusts her gauntleted arm toward him, as he passes right by.

The one charging, please! Though yes, this is not likely to work.
Nonlethal attack roll (with fighting defensively penalty): [roll0]
Damage toll in the unlikely event that it hits: [roll1]

"Stop."

Amanil
2014-11-30, 11:14 PM
Eirien's swing is too late, obviously far too focused on keeping herself from being hit, and her target's charge goes unhindered. The chair leg catches the gnome's shoulder heavily.

Take 4 damage.

Mardoc
2014-12-01, 06:56 AM
As adrenaline-charged as he is, Roland never considers letting the man pass unmolested. Later on, he may realize that to be a mistake.

Damage: [roll1]

He gets a bit more serious when the elf presents him with steel, though. He starts being much more careful with his footwork, to the detriment of his aim. The sap swings again:

Fighting defensively for round 3, AC up to 18

To hit: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

Amanil
2014-12-01, 11:57 AM
Roland gives the fleeing man a solid clock to the back of the head as he passes, sending him running all the faster with a hand clutching where a lump is likely to form.

The elf's overconfidence gets the better of him, and he, too, suffers a strike from Roland's sap. He grunt as it dazes him for a moment, but he quickly finds his balance and leers at the young man.

Jamros and his magic beating stick are up.

UristMcRandom
2014-12-01, 10:51 PM
Jamros sidesteps Clauss and swings his club at the nearest brawler, not seeming to care if he himself gets hit in the process, but attempting to soften the blow.

Attack, taking the -4 penalty to deal nonlethal damage, though it's largely negated by pre-existing bonuses (+1 Strength, +1 Shillelagh, +1 Bard Song)

Move to L10, attack brute at M11.
Crit Confirm: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

Amanil
2014-12-02, 11:25 AM
Jamros' club near-expertly catches the man just below his ribcage causing him to collapse to the ground, gasping for breath and clutching his chest.

Flavour text for "he's out of the combat" due to subdual damage. Will update map when I get home, but hopefully you can work out where he is for now.

Map is up to date, Sar'tul is up.

TwentyFold
2014-12-03, 10:55 AM
Sar'tul scoffs at the brute

Didn' know keepin the peace was a one sided ordeal...

Then he takes another swing.

Probably gonna miss, but whatever, try, try, and dont die is a good moto.
Attack: [roll0]
Confirmation: [roll1]

Sanctuary down as of last attack.

Amanil
2014-12-03, 11:05 AM
"Keepin' the peace? They started it!" the brute protests as Sar'tul's swing, like him, is short.

Navian
2014-12-03, 04:05 PM
Eirien ducks under Jamros' swing and slides by as she makes another sudden exit from the scene. She speaks as she goes. At little more than her usual volume, it's a token effort. "Well in hand, here, anyone have a bucket of water, by chance?"

She hurries around the table to Sar'tul's side to intercept the large human. "Excuse me, sir, I am here to receive your complaints." She gives him a snaking straight punch with her spiked gauntlet, not seeking to blunt it this time. Her right hand considers the other options at her belt.

Attack roll: [roll0]
Damage roll: [roll1]

Amanil
2014-12-03, 04:09 PM
Can you describe the route you're taking with grid co-ordinates? You have a couple of options, as far as I can tell.

Navian
2014-12-03, 04:24 PM
Oh, right. L10, M9, N8, O8.

Amanil
2014-12-03, 05:41 PM
The man doesn't even have to really dodge Eirien's swing, and looks back at the dwarf with a laugh. "Never pegged a dwarf for an elf-lover, guess you'll try to climb into any cave."

That just happened, folks! :smalltongue:

Navian
2014-12-03, 05:52 PM
Eirien's face resembles a stone wall as she points Sar'tul toward the other side of the man. "To his left, please." She studies the man appraisingly, not so much to consider his worth as the independent values of his constituent body parts.

Prince Zahn
2014-12-08, 05:43 AM
Clauss glares sharply at the scorched barroom brawlers, only to quickly realize the devastating thing he has done and may have caused. One man who harmed him not is rolling in his the white flames, whilst another - an elf, his hair and tunic caught fire and he lost consciousness - and is likely to die if left alone.
Clauss scurries to the knocked out stranger on fire - his fancy magical saucer tailing him reflexively, - Bends down and tries to smother it with his worn-white cape. The disk stopping just over the gnome.
M10—>M12, stepping right over brute who dealt him big damage and whom my teammates knocked out and TOTALLY DESERVES IT. putting out the fire wrapping the cooking drunkard who was unfortunate enough to be in the way, and is quite likely going to wake up with 50% hair or less.

Amanil
2014-12-08, 10:19 PM
The elf near Jamros eyes him up for a moment, but seeing him take down the man attacking Clauss he gives him a nod and moves off to find another target. The man on the ground near Clauss manages to smother the flames, and stands up with a pained expression. He makes no move to attack Clauss, looking instead for a clear route to the door.

The large man Eirien and Sar'tul are engaging sends another punch Sar'tul's way, but the impact is distributed by his armour about his shoulders. Hearing Eirien's suggestion to the dwarf, he steps between two tables.

"Not learned your lover's language, longears?" he mocks. He casts a look at another human trying to get past, but his attention is on the duo.

Roland's duel continues, though the elf manages to give Roland a slight nick with his blade. The elf grins sadistically.

Take 1 damage.
Most of the brawling going on elsewhere is ineffective, though one of the armed elves is brought down.

Sorry for slight delay. Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uupsihoXSCz_rIEXYJfPDLeo6bPyUUyx9R9Pzft9dEM/pubhtml) is updated (I'm going insane tracking people, so for the sake of my sanity I've started marking humans and elves as you notice them).

On with the next round!

Roland
Jamros
Sar'tul
Eirien
Clauss
Brawlers
Other

Mardoc
2014-12-09, 02:36 PM
Roland drops a note when nicked, but then continues with his song.

He sticks with the sap for now, swinging another blow at the elf's head:

To crit (if relevant):[roll1]

Amanil
2014-12-09, 03:56 PM
Roland's consistent sap strikes continue their assault, landing a glancing blow on the elf. He seems dazed for a moment, but recovers quickly.

UristMcRandom
2014-12-11, 01:35 AM
Jamros once again steps around Clauss, this time following the Elf that had just walked away, "Care to tell me what this is about?" he asks, swinging at a nearby brawler. As he does this, he signals in the direction of Sar'tul and Eirien, whispering something to the snake on his shoulder.

Move to K13, attack the brawler at L14 with nonlethal damage.

Crit Confirm: [roll1]

UristMcRandom
2014-12-11, 01:47 AM
Consider this an edit, but I needed to roll more dice. Handle Animal check to send the snake to attack the brute by Sar'tul and Eirien: [roll0]

Amanil
2014-12-11, 06:39 AM
The man almost manages to duck Jamros' swing, and if he'd had a few less drinks maybe he would have succeeded. The club connects with his head solidly and he comes crashing to the ground, obviously unconscious despite Jamros pulling the blow slightly.

A snake slips from the druid's shoulders and slithers in the direction his master gestured, easily moving under the table and appearing near Sar'tul.

Updated map. Sar'tul is up.

TwentyFold
2014-12-11, 10:55 AM
Just go help another lass, ill just sustain this brute, maybe hit him if he starts bein overconfident.

5ft step to P8, Fighting Defensively (-4 attck, +2 AC) as a standard action

Sar'tul raises his shield and club in a defensive pose, then speaks as loud as he can to all who might hear him.

If ya would just listen, i am Sar'tul of the Church of Cuthbert, helper of Father Quintus, currently attempting to keep you all from killin' each other, and if you don't mind id rather you help us attempt to stop this nonsense.

Amanil
2014-12-11, 10:57 AM
Roll Diplomacy.

Navian
2014-12-11, 02:27 PM
Eirien draws her sap and lets it hang loosely, looking thoroughly nonplussed and, for once, not on edge. There's a note of disbelief in her eyes, which quickly hardens. After this brief pause, she turns away and wanders toward the door, upon which her grip changes and the tension returns to her body. The muttering under her breath can't be heard.

After drawing her weapon, Eirien steps over to N7, where she uses her standard action to get ready to strike the next brawler to enter her threatened area with her sap (probably just the one in R7, if any.) I'll roll for it now.

[roll0]
[roll1]