PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Custom Wyvern Help

thefirecrack3r
2014-09-29, 01:18 PM
I'm creating an altered version of the wyvern that is focused on grabbing and swallowing its victims. I decided to remove the stinger and change improved grab to snatch (basically the same thing but that you can then "fling" them for extra damage.) I also replaced its poison focus with improved snatch and with a feat from its adjusted HD I gave it Snatch and Swallow, which all fits into things normally except that my wyvern has no breath weapon and should be dealing 2d8 energy damage for its breath weapon type. My question is, do I let it do this and only deal 1d8 bludgeoning damage to swallowed creatures or do I let it just deal that damage in acid and have it represent the digestive juices breaking down the creatures? Should I do less than the recommended amount? Like 1d8 acid damage, after all why would my wyvern do the same acid damage as a green dragon? What do you guys think? By RAW I should probably just have it do its 1d8 flat but that feels pretty pathetic. Or am I missing something?

Here is the beasty for everyone's reference (also feel free to loose these on your party!)

Hunting Wyvern
Huge Dragon
HP 9d12+36 (90)
Initiative +0
Speed: 30ft, Fly 80ft (Average)
AC 18 (10 base, +10 natural, -2 size)
Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+19
Attacks: Bite +16 3d8+8 and 2 wings +11 2d6+8 and 2 talons +16 2d8+8 and Tail Slap +11 2d6+8
Space/Reach: 15ft/10ft
Special Attacks: Snatch
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60ft, Immunity to sleep and paralysis, low light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +10, Ref +6, Will +7
Abilities: Str 27, Dex 10, Con 19, Int 6, Wis 12, Cha 9
Skills: Hide +7, Listen +13, Move Silently +11, Spot +16
Feats: Improved Snatch, Snatch and Swallow, Alertness, Flyby Attack, Hover
Environment: Warm Hills, Temperate Mountains
Organization: Solitary, Solitary with Hunter (plus one Hill Giant or Ogre) Hunting Party, (1d4 Hunting Wyverns, 1d4 Ogres, 1 Hill Giant) or Tribe (3d4 Hunting Wyverns, 4d8 orcs, 3d8 ogres, 1d4 trolls, 2d6 Hill Giants, 1 Hill Giant Chieftain (level 4 barbarian) plus 10d6 assorted non-combatant giants)
Challenge Rating: 8

Seharvepernfan
2014-09-29, 06:02 PM
Your post is confusing; what breath weapon?

Just look at the damage other huge creatures (like a t-rex) do when they swallow opponents and use that. It's not a big deal either way.