PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Need Advice on Designing a TRON Game

Erasmas
2014-09-29, 03:28 PM
Coming up somewhat soonish, I will be running a game set in the TRON universe. This isn't for sale or anything like that, it is just for my personal gaming group and will be a short-term game (probably around 5-10 sessions). Now, I have already set my mind on a few of the features of how I intend to run this.

They are:
I would like for it to be run on a binary system of resolution. I bought several dozen blue tokens from Fantasy Flight (small two-sided "chits") and I will paint 1's on one side and 0's on the other. When a "roll" is made, the player will toss a predetermined number of these chits onto the table and how they land will determine (left to right) how they sequence out a result in binary code.
I will be running this game gridless and it will have a very wargame-y feel to it (i.e. a lot of miniatures and terrain pieces), with the objectives being more complex than simply "defeat the bad guy".
The stats will be very limited (I am honing in on just 4) and there will be 6 classes - each class having two of the stats that they focus on. Each character will get to choose which of those two stats is their primary focus and which is their secondary. Beyond this, there will be a selection of feats/traits that they may pick from, based on those focuses. During the course of the game, there will be certain stations where the players will be able to "reformat" their programming to a certain degree... choosing to change their focuses and/or their selection of feats/traits.

Now, there are some issues that I need help working through. Namely, how to get the system to work off of binary. I was thinking something more akin to some dice pool systems that are out there, but I'm not sure that it will translate. The biggest issue that I see is that for every "chit" you add, you essentially double the range of possible outcomes. And this makes it very hard for my head to get around making it so that different characters or different classes have more chits to do certain things than others.

Hopefully this is all making sense to anyone willing to help out. Basically, I am just looking for you guys to bury me in ideas on how to make all of this come together (as well as any neat things that you might think of to include). From there, I will begin building up and piecing together what I think will work best and go on from there!

Thank you all in advance.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2014-10-02, 02:01 PM
FATE Accelerated would also work well as a binary system, although its resolution mechanic is actually ternary.

http://fate-srd.com/fate-accelerated/get-started

Erasmas
2014-10-02, 03:51 PM
Excellent, Thomar! Thank you.
I will have to check that out!