PDA

View Full Version : incorporeal undead character

Ettina
2014-09-29, 04:43 PM
I'd like suggestions for a race or template or whatever for character I'm planning. It must meet the following criteria:

* be incorporeal
* be undead
* be reasonably sane (no gibbering madly while flailing at enemies sort of thing)
* be immortal if not killed
* not have a Ghostly Goals (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GhostlyGoals) type deal (because I hate that trope, plus it interferes with being immortal)

Dusk Eclipse
2014-09-29, 04:48 PM
Here you go (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040117a) just remember to get at least 3 non ghost levels for every ghostly level so you can buy off the level adjustment immediatly.

Phelix-Mu
2014-09-29, 05:07 PM
There is a PrC in Savage Species called, I think, Enlightened Spawn, or maybe Awakened Spawn (or Liberated Spawn). This allows you to take an existing character turned into a spawn by some undead and restore them to a modicum of playability. Worth a gander, though I'm not sure it meets all your needs. The main thrust of it is that you regain past memories and class abilities that were wiped out by the transformation into an undead creature (which only has the abilities outlined in the Monster Manual). I think it's 3-5 levels, so it can be tacked onto an otherwise fairly complicated build.

I'm not sure it deals with the issues of undead HD and LA, though, since Savage Species isn't a particularly new book, though.

I'd suggest, fluffwise (not sure if mechanics are there at all), shadow. Classic, flavorful, funky looking, and pleasantly not ghostly.

Ettina
2014-09-29, 05:55 PM
Here you go (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040117a) just remember to get at least 3 non ghost levels for every ghostly level so you can buy off the level adjustment immediatly.

They have the ghostly goals issue, though.

"Thus, a player wishing to play a ghost character should consult with the DM to develop a suitable reason for the ghost's existence and determine appropriate circumstances under which she can rest in peace."

A Tad Insane
2014-09-29, 06:00 PM
If you can, ghostwalk has a non crazy ghost template

OldTrees1
2014-09-29, 06:11 PM
When the Ghost template class does not work:

Necropolitian[Undead, +0LA, Libris Mortis]
Incorporeal[Incorporeal, +2LA, Savage Species]
Evolved Undead[Why not?, +1LA, Libris Mortis]

Zombulian
2014-09-29, 06:29 PM
There is a PrC in Savage Species called, I think, Enlightened Spawn, or maybe Awakened Spawn (or Liberated Spawn). This allows you to take an existing character turned into a spawn by some undead and restore them to a modicum of playability. Worth a gander, though I'm not sure it meets all your needs. The main thrust of it is that you regain past memories and class abilities that were wiped out by the transformation into an undead creature (which only has the abilities outlined in the Monster Manual). I think it's 3-5 levels, so it can be tacked onto an otherwise fairly complicated build.

I'm not sure it deals with the issues of undead HD and LA, though, since Savage Species isn't a particularly new book, though.

I'd suggest, fluffwise (not sure if mechanics are there at all), shadow. Classic, flavorful, funky looking, and pleasantly not ghostly.

Emancipated Spawn is what that one's called I think. It may be a little hard to work with though.