PDA

View Full Version : City campaign

Jgosse
2014-09-29, 07:45 PM
I am thinking of running a game in a massive mega city. I am thinking of about 250K population, a perfectly round city on a plain, bordered on one side by a mountain, an ocean, and the city will be divided into 6 districts. One for each resource type. This is a massive sprawling city with a wall around it, dividing each district and each section. Every wall is a double wall with a passage between. In the case of the city and district walls they act as barracks and bunk houses for the city guard. There are two center city districts, one dead center and that's the nobles live in, this district has a large ring around it that acts as farm land and such exclusively for them. Then there is another ring that is the merchants district this also houses the minor nobles.

I was thinking of roughly 100000 sq km and that the term city state may work better than just city.

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-29, 07:58 PM
...okay. And? Is there some question relating to this that you want us to answer?

Jgosse
2014-09-29, 08:39 PM
sorry it has been a long day. is this just to big even in a fantasy world to be a realistic city. as well using the Dmg I cam up with about 2500 active guards. 10000 militia and added in 500 royal guards who watch over the royal district. for a total of 13000 possible troops. is that number to small to big just right. what kinds of jobs could I have in these districts related to forestry, agriculture, mining , and the ocean besides things like : wood cutter , wood carver, carpenter, hunter, farmer, miller , potter , butcher, miner, smelter,blacksmith, fisherman , and importer exporter. what kinds of problems could a campaign based in a city this size cause me?

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-29, 09:28 PM
Fantasy set in massive cities can indeed work; you may want to take a look at Magic: The Gathering's Ravnica (http://mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Ravnica) setting for inspiration.