PDA

View Full Version : Anima Mage help

rgrekejin
2014-09-29, 09:12 PM
Hi all. I'm going to be joining a campaign soon, and I'm working on my character. I've been considering the divine adaptation of Anima Mage and entering the class as a Binder/Archivist. My most immediate problem is that I'm not sure what to take after the ten levels of Anima Mage end (although general optimization help would be appreciated).

I've seen a lot of builds that use Tenebrous Apostate, although I'm unclear on how this synergizes with the rest of the build, other than being another class that advances casting/binding simultaneously.

Our campaign doesn't use Taint mechanics, so the Tainted Sorcerer is right out.

I've also seen handbooks stating that I should take Divine Metamagic: Persistent Spell, which is all well and good, except the only thing I can find which should grant me turn attempts is binging Tenebrous, and that appears to only grant one per five rounds, if I'm reading it correctly. So... how am I supposed to DMM Persistent Spell?

Troacctid
2014-09-29, 09:26 PM
Divine Metamagic doesn't really make sense for an Anima Mage as you already have a class ability that gives you free metamagic.

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-29, 09:38 PM
Divine Metamagic doesn't really make sense for an Anima Mage as you already have a class ability that gives you free metamagic.

Seconded. Using too much MM will get books thrown at you, and will also make the game less challenging (and thus probably less fun). Three free uses per day is enough; just pick up Extend Spell and Persistent Spell without DMM. Extend the spell normally, then Vestige MM Persist onto it, and you can have six extend-persisted buffs up at a time (or five if you want to save a use of VMM).

Also, Tenebrous Apostate is worth taking for the sole fact that it advances both. That alone is good enough. However, if you have a different preferred vestige, talk to your DM about modifying Tenebrous Apostate to be, say, Chupoclops Apostate (to toss a name of the top of my head).

Val666
2014-09-29, 09:44 PM
Why don't you drop Archivist and go with Ur-Priest instead?. Like Binder 5/ Ur-Priest 2/ Anima "Priest" 10/ Tebebrous Apostate 3. You'll have 8th level vestiges and 9th level divine spells. Plus theres a weird combination of Tenebrous Turns plus other Turn/Rebuke sourcers, but it's not clear for me how it works.

rgrekejin
2014-09-29, 10:51 PM
Why don't you drop Archivist and go with Ur-Priest instead?. Like Binder 5/ Ur-Priest 2/ Anima "Priest" 10/ Tebebrous Apostate 3. You'll have 8th level vestiges and 9th level divine spells. Plus theres a weird combination of Tenebrous Turns plus other Turn/Rebuke sourcers, but it's not clear for me how it works.

Ur-Priest is a great option mechanically. I hadn't considered it because, for party-dynamic reasons, I'd prefer to be non-evil. Although Anima Mage and Tenebrous Apostate are both pretty shady, those both let you maintain neutrality. Maybe I can work something out with my DM...