PDA

View Full Version : Bard build help

j_spencer93
2014-09-29, 09:42 PM
Well i am stuck trying to create a character, but ran into a problem i would like solved in any way, is there any way to get a 5th level spell as a bard before or at 10th level?
Or using any wiz/sor and a prestige class granting bard like abilities?

Troacctid
2014-09-29, 09:47 PM
How about the standard tricks for increasing spell level, like Improved Sigil (Krau) or Versatile Spellcaster + Heighten Spell?

j_spencer93
2014-09-29, 09:51 PM
I need a 5th level spell to enter a prestige class. I am not familiar with the spell level treats either actually...at the risk of looking very dumb could you tell me how to use that trick to do this and how it works if it does?

Troacctid
2014-09-29, 10:05 PM
Versatile Spellcaster allows you to spend two spell slots to cast a spell one level higher; this includes spells modified by metamagic. Combined with Heighten Spell, it allows you to cast a 4th level spell as a 5th level spell by expending two 4th level spell slots, which allows you to qualify for a prestige class that requires 5th level spells. (This will probably require Prestige Bard (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/prestigiousCharacterClasses.htm#prestigeBard), since a regular Bard won't have two 4th level spell slots at level 10 unless they have Charisma through the roof.)

Improved Sigil (Krau) requires you to be an Illumian with the Krau sigil. It allows you to choose two spells you know with verbal components; those two spells are automatically heightened and count as one level higher. So if you choose a 4th level spell, it is treated as a 5th level spell, again qualifying you for your Master of the Secret Sound.

There are similar tricks with Earth Spell and Snowcasting, but I suspect those won't go well with your theme.

j_spencer93
2014-09-29, 10:46 PM
Wow i really like this trick. Thanks for the help. This does exactly what i needed

sideswipe
2014-09-30, 06:27 AM
if your DM does not like that trick, and thinks it is too cheesy, then a little less cheese in my opinion is this, this actually gets you 5th level spells known.

take 9 levels of bard, at some point take a minor bloodline to increase your skill ranks cap by 1. and at level 10 take 1 level of sublime chord. you gain access to 4th and 5th level bard and wizard/sorcerer spells. then at level 11 take your prestige.

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-30, 09:00 AM
if your DM does not like that trick, and thinks it is too cheesy, then a little less cheese in my opinion is this, this actually gets you 5th level spells known.

take 9 levels of bard, at some point take a minor bloodline to increase your skill ranks cap by 1. and at level 10 take 1 level of sublime chord. you gain access to 4th and 5th level bard and wizard/sorcerer spells. then at level 11 take your prestige.

Hm. The issue there is that although your skill ranks cap at one higher, you don't actually gain any more skill points.

sideswipe
2014-09-30, 06:07 PM
Hm. The issue there is that although your skill ranks cap at one higher, you don't actually gain any more skill points.

yes but as long as you take the level before your gained skill points at level 9 you can use one level to dump into the skills you need.

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-30, 06:18 PM
yes but as long as you take the level before your gained skill points at level 9 you can use one level to dump into the skills you need.

Ah, true. I misinterpreted your suggestion to mean "take nine levels of bard, followed by one bloodline level", rather than "take nine levels of bard, with a bloodline level somewhere in there".