PDA

View Full Version : Original or Cover of Mad World?

Shadow of the Sun
2007-03-14, 04:16 AM
Simple question, which version of Mad World do you prefer? It saddens me greatly that so many people think that Gary Jules is the creator of Mad World when he isn't.

I am a staunch fan of the original- the way they did it fits far better with how the song spoke to me than the way Gary Jules did.

SDF
2007-03-14, 04:19 AM
I actually think the Tears for Fears version is terrible, but I've heard the Gary Jules version played to death so I really don't care for either anymore.

Om
2007-03-14, 08:26 AM
Cover. Easily.

The Prince of Cats
2007-03-14, 08:45 AM
I like both, though I have to admit that the cover sounds better to me than the original. You know, I thought it was tears for fears, but none of my friends agreed with me (except the one person who would have known and I never asked)

Shadow of the Sun
2007-03-14, 08:49 AM
I prefer the original because of the difference of emotion- as a teenager, this song speaks of angst for no real reason- you have reasons to be cheerful, and keep up the facade (which is shown by how cheerful the song sounds if you ignore the lyrics), but you are really rather depressed and angsty.

The cover just speaks to me of melancholia, without the teenage aspect.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-03-14, 12:00 PM
I might have heard the original on a radio but I can't really remember any version apart from the cover so I won't poll unless I can hear a sample.

Jibar
2007-03-14, 12:12 PM
I must admit I never heard the original.
I dunno...the lyrics just suggest something down and depressing. From what I gathered the style of the original is more upbeat.
I am a big fan of Donnie Darko though, so my vote goes straight to the cover.

Telonius
2007-03-14, 12:13 PM
I generally prefer the original - I'm starting to become a big fan of Roland's, especially his later work.

I'm not sure what song it is that was just out recently, but I thought it was a cover of Mad World. It uses the exact same chord progression, but it's hard rock. Turned out not to be a cover, but it got me to thinking that a more angry-ish version of the song could work. Most of Roland's stuff has the emotion turned inwards - the original seems to be taking place almost all in his head, divorced from the rest of his experience. But if you took that same emotion and turned it outwards, giving it more of a resentful vibe, somebody could make a really, really interesting cover of it that way.

Sundog
2007-03-14, 12:20 PM
I like the Gary Jules version - it's different enough to be considered in it's own right, while still being respectful to the original.

However, as a long standing Tears for Fears fan, I've got to vote for the original.

That Lanky Bugger
2007-03-14, 02:14 PM
Having heard both, my vote's for the cover. Donnie Darko and the Gears of War commercial just seal the deal.

Amotis
2007-03-14, 02:14 PM
I actually think the Tears for Fears version is terrible, but I've heard the Gary Jules version played to death so I really don't care for either anymore.

What he said. :smallcool:

Timberwolf
2007-03-14, 02:50 PM
I actually prefer the version I heard once in a comedy club. I can't remember the lyrics now, beyond "Oh my God I think I'm dying, it's a very very.... der der der der deeeer, baaaaaaad t##d"

Axl_Rose
2007-03-14, 08:30 PM
Gary Jules.

Tom_Violence
2007-03-16, 09:07 AM
I vote for the original, for 2 reasons. 1 - Gary Jules is an idiot and his version may have irreversibly reduced my enjoyment of that song for evermore. 2 - I hate Donnie Darko and any vote against that is something I can utterly embrace.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-03-16, 09:12 AM
I admit that the cover has better singing, however I prefer the backing music in the original, and the cover kills the dichotomy of the original.

Syka
2007-03-16, 01:14 PM
I like both versions, honestly, but I voted for the original. I think the mood of the original is much more...engaging, musically, but still keeps the melancholy. The cover fits Donnie Darko very well, but it seems too boring almost for other situations.

FdL
2007-03-16, 08:30 PM
Who is Gary Jules?

Saithis Bladewing
2007-03-17, 10:48 AM
I like both quite a bit, but I think I still prefer Gary Jules' version.

Webwalker
2007-03-17, 03:21 PM
Gary Jules version. I wave never a fan of Tears For Fears, and when I first heard Mad World by them, I didn't care about it. But Jules version of it was much more powerful, and I much prefer it. (no comment about Jules as an artist, just about that one particular song.)

Shadow of the Sun
2007-03-17, 10:07 PM
But the Jules version simplifies the song- it removes the dichotomy between the angsty lyrics and the cheerful music. To me this causes the song to lose a lot of it's message. But each to their own.

Druid
2007-03-18, 02:50 AM
The cover.

Jack_Banzai
2007-03-18, 07:10 PM
Original = New Wave Brit pop

Cover = Sappy girl music

Vote: Tears for Fears