PDA

View Full Version : Persona-SotVD: Family Dinner

Kioku
2014-09-30, 04:35 AM
Klack Klack
Asami blinks and glances toward the front door of the dorms from her position on the staircase, having just been coming down. That's odd, we don't get many visitors here who knock. With a shrug, the girl takes a look about and, seeing nobody else downstairs for the moment, goes to answer the door.

banthesun
2014-09-30, 05:19 AM
Standing just outside the door was a mature couple. The husband was relatively tall, and he had a rather wide frame and a boisterous air about him. His hair was neatly cropped, and he wore a polo shirt and jeans. His wife, on the other hand, looked a lot like a housewife, with her wavy, neck-length hair tucked behind her ears, and a pleasant but plain dress. The lines on her face gave the impression of someone who spent most of their time looking stern, but she was currently giving a friendly smile. It was her who spoke first.

"Is Kyoko in?" she asked. "We're her parents."

Kioku
2014-09-30, 05:26 AM
"Ah... of course! Come in, please, I'll go up and let her know." Asami gives a slight bow and gestures to a couch, then heads for the stairs from where she'd just came. Kyoko said a while ago that her parents weren't really sure about this 'social experiment' business... I hope they aren't going to pull her out or something... By the time she's reached the top of the stairs, passed one or two others in the hall, and reached the end of the hall to enter the girls' common room, Asami has already started coming up with a plan to keep her friend around if her thoughts hold true. "Kyoko," she calls into the named girl's room, "you have visitors. Your parents are here, downstairs. Did you know they were coming?"

banthesun
2014-09-30, 05:43 AM
"Argh! Sorry! I should have gotten the door!"

Kyoko bursts from her room, carrying a small handbag, and simultaneously trying to pull on a light cardigan and adjust her hair clip.

"We're meant to be going out for a family dinner tonight, sorry I didn't mention it! Uh, I'M COMING!" she yells downstairs as she hurries towards the stairs.

Kioku
2014-09-30, 05:52 AM
Wide eyed, Asami leaps out of the way to avoid being run over. "Yes. Well. Have fun?" She leans out the doorway to watch Kyoko bolt down the hall. "Right then..." Asami says absently to herself. I *was* down there for a reason, guess I should head back down so I can start making my own dinner. Setting a far more sedate pace than her friend, she makes her way to the stairs as well, intent on the kitchen as her destination.

banthesun
2014-09-30, 06:11 AM
"Sorry, I was still getting ready." "Was that one of your friends who opened the door?" "Oh, that was Asami, I told you about her." "Oh, so that was Asami! You should invite her too! "Uh-" "Excellent idea! You hurry off and let her know she's invited now! And tell her I won't take no for an answer!"

Kyoko came back inside looking rather embarrassed, meeting Asami on her way back downstairs.

"Uh, Asami, my parents wanted to ask if you want to come to dinner with us."

Kioku
2014-09-30, 06:16 AM
"They... what? Why? They don't even know me..." Asami shuffles her feet a little after taking the last step down off the stairs. "Nevermind that. Is it... do you want me to come?"

banthesun
2014-09-30, 06:26 AM
Argh! It'd be so embarrassing taking Asami out with my family, and Dad's isn't going to let this go now he's got it in his head! It'd really be nice to go out for dinner with Asami again, but...

"Uh, it'd be nice, um-" Kyoko leans in close to wisper to her "If you're not too embarrassed by them..."

As if on cue, Kyoko's dad gave a big smile and waved at the pair.

Kioku
2014-09-30, 06:40 AM
Asami gives a small smile over Kyoko's shoulder and raises her eyebrows upon looking back down at her friend. "I'm not so sure that I am the one who is at risk of embarrassment." She looks around as if considering something, and offers a small nervous laugh through her smile. "Well, if you think it'd be nice, I didn't have any other plans... sure, I'll come with you if you're sure it's okay."

banthesun
2014-09-30, 07:11 AM
Kyoko smiles at Asami and nods. At least it would be some quality time with Asami, and her family was going to want to meet her sooner or later. Heading to the door, Kyoko introduces them.

Mum, Dad, this is Asami."

"It's a pleasure to meet you!" says Kyoko's mum with a respectful bow.

"Ahh! So you're the one we've been hearing so much about!" Kyoko's dad, conversely, extends a hand to greet Asami with a handshake.

Kioku
2014-09-30, 07:25 AM
Asami quells her nerves on the way to the door, and manages to turn her small smile into a full one. "Nice to meet you too. As Kyoko-chan said, I am Kimura Asami." She returns the bow before accepting the handshake, and seems to suddenly adopt a semi-formal air about her actions and speech. "Your daughter has been a good friend to me, and I feel you deserve to be pleased with how she was raised." Hearing so much about? "I'm only surprised, if flattered, to discover that I've been a topic of conversation. Positive, I hope?"

banthesun
2014-09-30, 07:50 AM
"Haha! No need to be so formal!" laughs Kyoko's dad, but her mum is more polite.

"Ah, you're too kind. Of course it's been good! We were very glad to hear Kyoko's made such a good friend here."

She moved to put an arm around her daughter, and Kyoko flashed Asami a sheepish smile.

"Anyway! No point standing round in the cold! The car's parked across the street!"

Kioku
2014-09-30, 08:12 AM
Cold? Then what are they used to? "Thank you very much for inviting me along. I hope it hasn't disrupted your family time..." Asami bites her lip and *mostly* drops the formal attitude, but not yet the atmosphere, at seeing how comfortably her friend's family are acting in the presence of a near-stranger. She takes their lead and follows them out to the car, staying just a touch closer to Kyoko than to her parents. I wonder where they were planning to go. Clearly not some place that takes reservations, so that's a soothing thought. Didn't Kyoko say they moved here, so they live around this area? Maybe they prepared something there... I hope I can manage to pay them back somehow, I know it's incredibly rude to offer to split the bill... Heh. I wonder how many of our foreign friends would make that kind of offer, not knowing the cultural implications.

banthesun
2014-09-30, 08:31 AM
"Haha! Nonsense, nonsense!"

"Don't worry about disrupting anything. It's nice to finally meet you."

Kyoko was happy to walk alongside Asami, and her mother seemed content to let the two of them have some space, while her father blazed ahead.

Eheh, sorry about my dad. You're probably handling him better than most though." Kyoko grinned at Asami and glanced in his direction out of the corners of her eyes.

The Ueda family car was a small Japanese model, and Kyoko offered to take the seat behind her father so Asami could have room for her longer legs. Once everyone was in and buckled up, they pulled out and started making their way to the restaurant. It wasn't long though, before her dad called back from the driver's seat "So, Asami, does Kyoko have a boyfriend yet?"

"DAD!"

Kioku
2014-09-30, 08:50 AM
Asami smiles and touches Kyoko's hand affectionately in thanks for the leg room once in the car. She winces a little at being called by her familiar name without invitation to, but focuses on balancing the insult with the fact that he's one of her friends' parents, and... apparently a little eccentric. "Sorry, Ueda-san, I don't know anything about that." She raises an eyebrow at her friend, as if to ask 'is he always like this?'

banthesun
2014-09-30, 09:13 AM
Kyoko returns the look with a grimace, this was already going terrifyingly. In the rearview mirror, Kyoko's mum catches sight of the exchange and takes action to distract her father before he could resume his questioning.

"Honey, did you get back to Mr Yamada about the PTA meetings yet?" she asks, and Kyoko takes the chance to lean over to Asami.

"Sorry! This is kinda just how he is. We think he greets people with handshakes just to see how they react..." Kyoko wispers to her, a level of exasperation in her voice.

Kioku
2014-09-30, 09:34 AM
"I see. Interesting..." A feral grin starts to cross Asami's face before she catches it and shuts it down. No. Bad. "Don't worry about it. I'm sure my parents will be similarly interrogative when they meet everyone."

banthesun
2014-09-30, 09:56 AM
"Uhuh, I'm looking foward to it." Kyoko wispered back with a little chuckle. It was a touch awkward having their quiet conversation in the back of the car, but it definitely seemed like something that was done between friends. She gave Asami a little cheeky smile, which once again her mum caught in the rear-view mirror.

"Here we go!" cheers her dad as they pull into a parking spot. He points to a smallish restaurant across the street, much plainer looking than the one Kyoko and Asami had went to last time. "You're going to enjoy this place, I'm sure! They've got good food, and you know you can trust me on that!" he says, patting his gut.

Kioku
2014-09-30, 11:11 AM
"So am I, weirdly. I wouldn't usually like the idea, but if friends are going..." Asami looks up when told they'd arrived, and jumps out so that she can get the door for Kyoko's mother in front of her. Her hand automatically flips the door that she exits through into the 'locked' position without a second thought, on the way out. She cracks a small smile at the father's comment, but otherwise doesn't react except to offer her hand to the mother, to ease her way out of the car.

banthesun
2014-09-30, 10:22 PM
"Oh, thank you! I'm not that old yet though!" replied Kyoko's mum, clearly impressed by Asami's manners. She did take her hand on the way out though, before rejoining her husband.

Inside the restaurant it didn't take long to find a table, and Kyoko made sure to seat herself next to Asami. The restaurant itself was pretty plain, with specials on the walls, and a small Taoist shrine near the back. Kyoko's father made a show of checking the specials even before the menus were delivered. The restaurant seemed to serve a mixture of vietnamese, chinese, and even some korean and thai food. Judging from the other tables, food here was shared, with the customers taking small serves from the central dishes on their table.

Kyoko's dad quickly began picking out foods, but her mum leaned over with a smile and asked the pair "Have you seen anything you're interested in?"

Kioku
2014-10-01, 01:06 AM
Asami's gaze darts around because of the number of people in this place, but she mostly seems to like the tame decor. I know that phở is very good, but I'm not especially in the mood for a noodle soup. Cơm hến is alright, and both of those are inexpensive. With the style of dining here, I'd be surprised if he isn't already ordering a hot pot. There really are quite a lot of options here, but I think something new or different would be best... After debating for a couple of seconds, Asami smiles and replies. "I'd love to try something new, so whatever is already being ordered would be just fine with me."

banthesun
2014-10-01, 01:57 AM
Kyoko flips through the menu and gives a little shrug; nothing really stood out to her.

"Same here."

"Excellent! Okaaay, we'll take one serve of these, the vietnamese pancake, gado gado, the salt and pepper squid, this one, the roast chicken, and the sizzling beef! Oh, and rice with that, thanks!"

Once Kyoko's father had made sure the waiter had got the order correct he turns back to the table, rubbing his hands. A server brings them a pot of hot green tea, which Kyoko's mother begins pouring for everyone.

"So Kimura-san, what subjects are you intrerested in at school?" she asks, sliding a cup over to Asami.

Kioku
2014-10-01, 02:32 AM
Asami accepts the cup and nods in appreciation. "I think I'm still trying to find that out, myself. I like the sciences, civics and sociology... but it would be nice if further maths were offered, too." She takes a sip of her tea, wary of saying too much and hoping that she isn't asked about grades. "I'm afraid I haven't the time for any clubs this year, but I try to drop in on a few when I have the chance. May I ask, you mentioned PTA meetings before; are you teachers?"

banthesun
2014-10-01, 02:59 AM
"Ah, yes! We teach at the local junior highschool. I teach maths, and Terou teaches literature." Kyoko's father gave a big thumbs-up. "I must say, I'm glad to hear you're interested in math, too many students these days don't appreciate it at all. Kyoko could learn something from you!" Kyoko squirms under her mother's gaze and glances at Asami sheepishly. She continues, "Is that social experiment taking up too much time for clubs though?"

"I still wonder exactly what you do there!" Kyoko's father interrupts.

"The note we recieved said something about excursions and the like, is it anything like Kyoko's old Nature Club? Uh, if she's already told you about that."

Kioku
2014-10-01, 03:21 AM
Asami glances to Kyoko with a small grimace and mouths 'sorry' when she has a chance to. "I think a few of the others manage to balance clubs with it, but I can't say I'm entirely sure how. It's not so much the time as the intensity. I suppose it's a little like the club Kyoko mentioned, but a bit more active and time consuming on the days when we do something with it. We can't *every* day, because... well, some of the things we do for it are exhausting enough or require time to sink in, so we wouldn't be able to repeat them for a few days afterward." Hoping to change the topic away before they can ask too many questions, Asami continues; "So, math and literature? My mother teaches too. She's officially supposed to teach English, but she tries to trade with the world history and math teachers from time to time. I don't think she liked being shoehorned into a department that she finds uninteresting." With a pause, realizing that this might not make sense, she hurries to explain. "She's Welsh. From Cardiff. She grew up in the most English-speaking nation there is, and when she moved here, she was offered a teaching job within the first month or so. She always wanted to teach, but her heart was set on other subjects, so she's been trying to switch departments ever since then."

banthesun
2014-10-01, 03:48 AM
"Ah, it definitely sounds more active than the old Nature Club!" she replies, fixing Kyoko with a motherly look. As they talk a server brings out the first of the entrées, the gado gado and a plate of rice paper rolls. The family says thanks for the meal and start serving themselves.

"Your mother's a teacher too? Wonderful! Please give her our regards. If you don't mind me asking, why did she move to Okinawa? If you know, that is."

Kioku
2014-10-01, 04:26 AM
"She spent a year in Kyoto on study abroad during university. I think she just liked the culture and people enough that it made her want to move here after graduate school. She found out that the school she's at now had a shortage of teachers at the time, so she took her chances and it worked out." Asami begins taking food as well while she finishes her tale, mostly in very small portions. If they teach around here now, and were moved here because of the persona program, I wonder who they replaced at the school... hopefully the idea doesn't come up and make them feel guilty. Her expression turns concerned for a brief moment before returning to the smile that she's been wearing. "Ahh... what made the two of you decide to go into teaching, then? What do you enjoy about it?"

banthesun
2014-10-01, 05:46 AM
"Shaping young minds, of course!" Kyoko's father laughed. "Seriously though, it was an aspect! For a literature major, you can either become a writer or a teacher, and I chose the one that was sure to influence people!"

Kyoko's mother laughed at his explanation too. "For me it was a long time dream, it's what I wanted to do since I was young. I had an excellent maths teacher at my junior high, and that showed me just how important a good teacher is."

"Haha, it's a shame Kyoko doesn't want to go into it!"

"Dad! I didn't say that!"

"Honey, you know we're behind you whatever you choose."

"Well, do you have any plans for after school?" Kyoko's dad asks Asami

Kioku
2014-10-01, 06:06 AM
This is starting to feel like the inquisition - there's way too much focus on me! Not that I'm not *used* to that, but it isn't usually from parents... Asami shows no outward signs of her thoughts, and just continues things smoothly. "I'm not entirely sure, but I doubt anyone still in school ever is. I suppose I'd like to go to university if I can earn scholarships for one, but career-wise I'm hoping to discover an interest in something. I only know for sure that it won't be the 'usual' company-is-law, work the same office job or basic labor until you retire kind of thing. On that note though, Kyoko; I'm surprised that I haven't asked this before, but what might you be thinking of doing?"

banthesun
2014-10-01, 06:26 AM
"I'm still not sure either, though I'm pretty sure I agree about not wanting an office job!" Kyoko's father interjected with a "Hear hear!" "Maybe something in the sciences?"

"We were hoping you could help her decide!" laughed her father, before her mum could cut in.

"You're still in high school, it's okay to not know what you want to do. You should still be thinking about where you want to go, but I'm sure you get enough of that from your own teachers."

More food arrived at the table, this time the pancake and the salt and pepper squid. Kyoko's father started cutting the pancake up and offering pieces to the girls.

Kioku
2014-10-01, 06:51 AM
"We were hoping you could help her decide!" laughed her father, before her mum could cut in.Asami raises an eyebrow at this, but refrains from commenting. She instead nods to Kyoko's mother, replying, "they do try. I'm sure it'll be even more so next year, but maybe I'll have an idea by then." She accepts a piece of the pancake and makes several precise cuts on the squid to extract a piece of it as well.

banthesun
2014-10-01, 07:14 AM
The break in the conversation comes as a relief to Kyoko. After finishing her serve of the pancake, she took the chance to quietly speak to Asami.

Oh, Asami, I was looking up patterns for yukatas, earlier. I found some, but I'd like your advice when we get back. I couldn't tell how much difference there really was..."

Kioku
2014-10-01, 07:43 AM
"Of course, I'd be glad to take a look when we get back," Asami replies in similarly quiet tones. She seems to be liking the atmosphere of the restaurant well enough, with its muted tones in the choice of decor. Not an ideal place to first talk to a friend's family, but it does keep things fairly casual, which is nice. "I suppose they know about Okinawa because you've mentioned the wedding? How did that go?"

banthesun
2014-10-01, 08:16 AM
"Oh, yeah. They were actually pretty positive about it, though they said they want more details before they agree to anything. Kyoko whispered back.

"What are you two being so sneaky about there?" interupted her father. The look on his face seemed to say that her was less interested in the actual content of their conversation than he was in the chance to break up a whisper.

Kioku
2014-10-01, 08:22 AM
"Oh, nothing at all. Just plotting a kidnapping, in which your daughter will be spirited away to a house on a beach in Okinawa for about a week in early August along with several of my other friends while I, and possibly they, attend my brother's wedding." Asami gives a genuine smile as if there is nothing at all wrong with this picture or the wording. "I hope these machinations meet with your approval."

banthesun
2014-10-01, 08:37 AM
Kyoko's father burst into raucous laughter at Asami's response, and several people from the nearby tables turn to see what the disturbance is. Kyoko's mother simply rests her head in her palm with a small sigh.

"Excellent! I approve!"

"Actually, we'd been meaning to talk to you about that," says Kyoko's mother, recovering from her exasperation. "You're inviting some other friends from school too? And they're going to be staying with your family while they're there?"

Kioku
2014-10-01, 08:43 AM
Asami nods to her friend's mother. "I know at least one other friend and her sister are planning to come - Tsubaki and Chika. I think Miyuki may be, but I haven't had the chance to get a final answer since narrowing down the time frame. Besides them, it's mostly still up in the air for now. We do have enough space at my family's home though, yes."

banthesun
2014-10-01, 09:22 AM
Kyoko listens and nods at Asami's response too, she hadn't heard all the details herself yet. Her mum nods along too, and when Asami has finished her explanation she responds.

"All girls? Ahuh. Well, I don't see any problem with that. Since it's in the holidays it should be fine, as long as you don't skimp on your homework," she adds, with a sharp glance at Kyoko. "I would've liked to meet your family beforehand, but I'm certain they must be good people. If you give us a phone number beforehand that should be fine. Oh, and let us know once you know what flight you're taking." Noticing Kyoko's expectant face, she finishes "That's a yes, miss," to dismiss her

Kyoko turns and beams an excited smile at Asami. Her mother gives a warm smile, seeing her daughter so happy, and her father lets out a proud chuckle.

"Awesome! This is gonna be so much fun!"

Kioku
2014-10-01, 09:27 AM
Asami grimaces at the misunderstanding. "Ah- it's only girls that I know of so far. I can't say for sure at all, but a few boys may come along as well, though they'd be in a different room if so. And... it'll be a ship, not a flight..." She seems to be deflating a little with every word, all while she's taking out a pen to write on a pad of paper that she withdraws from her bag. "I do have their phone number though... here," she hands a sheet of paper to Kyoko's mother with a slightly worried expression.

banthesun
2014-10-01, 09:51 AM
"Ah, thanks for that," Kyoko's mother replies, slipping the number into her purse. Seeing Asami's worried expression, she attempts to remedy the misunderstandings. "Well, I suppose there's no harm in boys going as long as there's enough room for sleeping arrangements. But, I'm not sure I understand you here, is the wedding on a cruise, or is the boat for getting there?"

Kyoko herself was looking concerned with the change in atmosphere, but stayed silent.

Kioku
2014-10-01, 10:15 AM
"It's only for getting there. The wedding itself is at a shrine on the island. It's not that far from here, and plane tickets are expensive, so..." Asami looks relieved at the declaration that it was still alright even with boys there. "The ship in question belongs to a cousin of the bride's father, and they offered to take as many people there and back as needed, as a wedding gift."

banthesun
2014-10-01, 10:32 AM
Kyoko's mother seems confused about the reasoning until Asami mentions that a family friend is involved.

"Ah, that still is a rather long trip though. Are you sure you'll be alright?" she asks Kyoko, who responds with a vigourous nod before her mother has even finished speaking. Not impressed, she settles upon Kyoko with a stern look.

"I'll be okay, mum. Promise."

More or less satisfied, her mum relents.

"I guess it's okay then, but I want you to think about this properly. We can pay for a flight if you prefer."

Kioku
2014-10-01, 11:13 AM
"If it's any consolation, I take the safety of my friends very seriously." And Tsubaki will be there. "And if I see a map or go to a place once, I can usually find my way, so we won't be getting lost. I think it'll be the same route I took coming here in the first place, actually, back in April..." Asami flashes a small smile at Kyoko and puts a hand on her arm briefly. "It's less than a day's travel, but if you'd really prefer she fly, we can meet there. I'm just glad to have her around either way."

banthesun
2014-10-01, 11:45 AM
Kyoko smiled back at Asami, glad her friend was standing up for her. Thankfully it turned out not to be necessary.

"It's okay, as long as you're really certain you're okay with it," her mother replied, directing the second part at Kyoko. "And you seem to be really protective of your friends, Kimura-san. I'm glad Kyoko found a friend like you."

Kioku
2014-10-01, 01:15 PM
"I'm glad Kyoko found a friend like you.""So am I," Asami replies softly, her smile widening. She doesn't seem to have much more to say on the matter, content to leave another lull in the conversation and finish up what she wants from this part of the meal.

banthesun
2014-10-02, 03:13 AM
"Ah! Here we go!" cried Kyoko's father as the servers bought more food to the table.

-----
Several Interesting Dishes Later...
-----

At the end of the meal, everyone had eaten their fill, and Kyoko's father's appetite had meant sure there was little left behind on the plates. Kyoko's mother had poured the last of the tea, and once everyone was done, the parents got up from the table.

"We're going to handle the bill, you two can go wait outside," Kyoko's mother said with a smile.

Stepping out into the cool evening air, Kyoko let out a satisfied sigh. She glanced in at her parents before turning to Asami with a nervous smile.

"Well, what do you think of them?"

Kioku
2014-10-02, 03:32 AM
"They... contrast each other rather well." Asami stretches a little and smiles. "Your dad is quite enthusiastic about everything, loud, outgoing, very casual. It's very different from most people who would be stiff and formal on a first meeting, and would want the person they meet to be similarly formal and quiet." She nods a little to herself and suppresses a yawn. "Your mother is polite, gentle, protective... and rightfully left to handle serious topics, it seems. I like them both for their own ways."

banthesun
2014-10-02, 03:46 AM
Kyoko lets out a sigh and relaxes. "Phew! Lots of people have trouble, uh, getting on with my dad. I think you impressed him with the kidnapping joke though!" She smiles. "You'd probably be his favourite if you were in his class! I'm glad you got on with mum too. Uh, thanks for coming with."

Kioku
2014-10-02, 04:00 AM
"What makes you think it was a joke?" Asami asks playfully with a wink. The giggling comes soon after, naturally. "I was happy to come along. Especially if it helped clear up that whole wedding and trip thing, this made things a lot easier and more natural to talk about, the way that things turned out."

banthesun
2014-10-02, 04:19 AM
Kyoko giggles along with Asami. "Yes! I get to go to Okinawa!" she cheers, right as her parents walk out of the restaurant. Kyoko's dad just smiles at her, but her mum addresses the two girls.

"We're just going to duck to the convenience store and get a few things. Don't worry, you two can stay here and continue your conversation."

Once her parents are walking off, Kyoko continues excitedly talking. "I'm really looking foward to it! It's been a while since I went on holiday with friends. Hehe, I wonder if I'll be able to get a tan?"

Kioku
2014-10-02, 04:37 AM
Asami can't help but grin at Kyoko's excitement. "Probably, if you want to! This," she says, gesturing to herself, "is about as tan as I get. It hasn't gone away because of how much time I spend outside here, but to be honest it's not much more tan than I'd be at my palest. I think you could probably do better." Asami nudges her friend and sticks her tongue out. "But you're still cute just the way you are."

banthesun
2014-10-02, 04:52 AM
Kyoko nods at Asami's explanation. She still protested a little at the comment about being cute, but she was beginning to get used to Asami teasing her about that, and it was still a pretty sweet thing to say nonetheless. Kyoko bumped her back and giggled.

"I wonder if everyone would be jealous if I came back with a tan? Though I guess it'd be easy enough to get one in summer round here." She sounds a little dissapointed at the idea, but perks back up quickly. "Hey, if Miyuki's able to come, do you think she'd end up less pale? Or would she have to stay out of the sun or something? I can't really imagine her with a tan..."

Kioku
2014-10-02, 05:07 AM
Asami tilts her head with several rapid blinks. "I hadn't thought of that... I... I don't think I can imagine her with a tan either! But she would be unbearably adorable carrying a parasol..." She seems to get a wistful look at the thought. It takes several long seconds for her to continue. "Yes, I do believe my first mission will be to get her one. She'd probably find it useful around here, too."

banthesun
2014-10-02, 05:22 AM
"Haha, it's definitely easier to imagine her like that! She would be pretty cute!" Kyoko mistook Asami's wistfulness for her being deep in thought, and she gave a thoughtful nod of her own. "Hey, and I'll get to meet your family too. I'm sure they can't be as crazy as mine!" Kyoko rolled her eyes as she said it, even though Asami had gotten on well with them.

Kioku
2014-10-02, 06:03 AM
Asami shoots Kyoko a sharp, wary glance. "I hope they don't go on about anything crazy, anyway..." She looks around for a few moments before taking her friend's hand. "We should be ready to go when they get back. Do you think they'll need help carrying anything?"

banthesun
2014-10-02, 06:53 AM
Kyoko felt a bit confused about Asami's cryptic reply. The memory of how she'd responded when Kyoko had mentioned family in their first conversation came to mind, and Kyoko wondered what exactly had happened with her family.

I guess I'll find out when I meet them...

Whatever the situation was, Kyoko wanted to give Asami support. She had no idea what to say, so she just gave her hand a soft squeeze.

"Uh, they probably aren't getting that much?" As she answered, Kyoko spotted her father heading back up the street, and he gave a wave. "Ah, there they are! We should probably head over to the car."

Kioku
2014-10-02, 07:01 AM
"Mmh," comes an affirmative sound from Asami as she starts walking toward said car, Kyoko still in hand. Gradually, over the short walk, her gaze beings to soften again back to her usual warm self, but she doesn't have much to say along the way, or on the ride home unless asked questions or drawn into another conversation. Once thawed out, she's content to simply hold her friend's hand and relax a bit.

banthesun
2014-10-02, 07:30 AM
Kyoko's father spent the drive back to the dorm regaling the car with humourous stories from his youth, while her mother kept checking the on the girls in the mirror. She'd had a knowing smile on her lips ever since she'd spotted the two holding hands.

When they arrived, Kyoko's parents walked the girls right to the door.

"Well, it's been a pleasure meeting you, Asami! You'll have to come with us for dinner again sometime! My wife's cooking mightn't be as good as- Ow!" His comment had earned him a swift jab in the ribs. "Haha, but it's still pretty excelent! We hope to see you again soon!"

Kioku
2014-10-02, 07:36 AM
Asami giggles at the antics. "Likewise. Perhaps I'll make something, to help." She bows and opens the door to the dorm. "I'm sure we'll meet again in any case," she says in farewell before glancing between the parents and her friend. She leans over to whisper, "would you like a moment alone with them?"

banthesun
2014-10-02, 07:57 AM
"I'll be quick," she whispers back, but her mother has already fixed Asami with a stare like she has something to say. Kyoko hugs both her parents, with quick "Love you" to each, and then ducks back inside. As Kyoko's father headed back to the car, her mother stopped for a quick word.

"Kimura-san, we're really thankful Kyoko has a friend like you here. We were worried about how she'd fit in here, so you have our family's gratitude. I know your family is far away, so if you ever need anything, please consider our family your own." Kyoko's father waved from over at the car. "And thanks for putting up with my husband. Though you seemed to deal with him better than most," she finished with a wink.

Kioku
2014-10-02, 08:16 AM
Asami seems caught between surprise, confusion, happiness, and laughter as she gives a small wave back at the father. "I'll... keep that in mind, then. Thank you, but it was really never any trouble. Kyoko is a good friend, and I'm sure that she'll find plenty of others who enjoy being around her in short order." She finally resorts to a small snicker. "How do most people deal with him? His students must like his demeanor at least."

banthesun
2014-10-02, 08:36 AM
"Ah, well, most of them do. Some people don't respond well to his teasing, though he does lay off if he can tell. Things have definitely gotten tense with co-workers before, but most people like him once they get to know him." She looks in his direction with a loving smile. "Anyway, it was really nice meeting you. Come visit us anytime you like. Perhaps you could even get Kyoko to come round more!" she finishes teasingly.

Kioku
2014-10-02, 08:41 AM
Asami nods. "I had an enjoyable time. I'll escort Kyoko if she does drop by some time, thank you for your kindness and the offer." She waves a little and steps inside, taking off her shoes and glancing around to see if Kyoko is still around.

banthesun
2014-10-02, 09:10 AM
Kyoko had slipped inside after waving her parents off, and hadn't seen her mum stop to talk to Asami. She'd gone to the kitchen to get a glass of juice, and as Asami headed back inside she passed back through the hallway. Kyoko raised an eyebrow, surprised that Asami hadn't already made her way upstairs.

Kioku
2014-10-02, 09:26 AM
Asami just gives a small, knowing smile and proceeds onward, taking aim for the bath, to be followed by her bed.