PDA

View Full Version : Eldritch disciple build

D4rkh0rus
2014-09-30, 07:37 AM
Hi playground. I'm wanting to make an eldritch disciple build I read about in the interwebs, it I went warlock/ur-priest/eldritch disciple to get full warlock goodness and level 9 spells....

But to me it does not add up, first, ur-priest says it requires you to be atheist, while the disciple needs you to worship a chaotic or evil god... Is there some feat or ability that let's you tKe both classes?

Also, what ways are there to enter ur priest earlier than normal?
I heard of the laborious training feat to get the knowledge ranks 2 levels earlier, but that's 3rd party isnt it? Is there something in the WotC material that allows one to take ur priest on level 5?

And lastly, is there any way to boost eldritch glaive's damage or at least make it force high AoE saves with a good effect like level drain or stagger? Cuz with 8d6 it does seem a bit lackluster even with divine powered attacks.

Thanks in advance.

Venger
2014-09-30, 07:54 AM
Hi playground. I'm wanting to make an eldritch disciple build I read about in the interwebs, it I went warlock/ur-priest/eldritch disciple to get full warlock goodness and level 9 spells....

But to me it does not add up, first, ur-priest says it requires you to be atheist, while the disciple needs you to worship a chaotic or evil god... Is there some feat or ability that let's you tKe both classes?

Also, what ways are there to enter ur priest earlier than normal?
I heard of the laborious training feat to get the knowledge ranks 2 levels earlier, but that's 3rd party isnt it? Is there something in the WotC material that allows one to take ur priest on level 5?

And lastly, is there any way to boost eldritch glaive's damage or at least make it force high AoE saves with a good effect like level drain or stagger? Cuz with 8d6 it does seem a bit lackluster even with divine powered attacks.

Thanks in advance.

let's go in order:

1) ur-priest has no prerequisite of being an atheist whatsoever. you're stealing power from the gods, so you accept they exist, you just don't want to be bossed around by them. there is also no restriction saying you can't worship gods. many ur-priests actually revere dead gods and are trying to bring them back through their faith. the only thing you need is to not have prior divine casting, which isn't an issue for this build.

2) laborious training is a 3rd party feat from sword and sorcery's "legacy of the blood," so isn't official 3.5 material.

the only 3.5 feat that allows you to break the skillcap is "primary contact," which requires favored, and only works for 1 skill. ur-priest requires 8 ranks in 2 separate skills, so this path of entry is not viable.

if that's what you meant by "entering at 5: xx4/urpriest"

normally, you can enter with xx5/urpriest.

the traditional means of entry is savage bard which I personally find a little blah, but you might well get use out of if you're going warlock and enjoy invocations with saves.

there is no way to enter ur-priest early without weirdness (e.g. do the wight thing, etc)

the warlock handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?265455-The-Newest-Warlock-Handbook-3-5) is an invaluable resource for what invocations to pick and how to get them operating at maximum efficacy.

I think that's everything. lmk if there's anything else you need help with

Kaje
2014-09-30, 08:30 AM
You can boost your blast damage with Hellfire Warlock. Warlock 4/Binder 1/Mindbender 1/Ur-Priest 2/Eldritch Disciple 9/ Hellfire Warlock 3 is one of my fave warlock builds.

Troacctid
2014-09-30, 10:05 AM
Noxious Blast and Utterdark Blast force a save against 10 rounds of nausea (no actions other than move actions) or a negative level, respectively. You could also use Vitriolic Blast to bypass spell resistance and deal additional acid damage.

D4rkh0rus
2014-09-30, 10:38 AM
let's go in order:

1) ur-priest has no prerequisite of being an atheist whatsoever. you're stealing power from the gods, so you accept they exist, you just don't want to be bossed around by them. there is also no restriction saying you can't worship gods. many ur-priests actually revere dead gods and are trying to bring them back through their faith. the only thing you need is to not have prior divine casting, which isn't an issue for this build.

2) laborious training is a 3rd party feat from sword and sorcery's "legacy of the blood," so isn't official 3.5 material.

the only 3.5 feat that allows you to break the skillcap is "primary contact," which requires favored, and only works for 1 skill. ur-priest requires 8 ranks in 2 separate skills, so this path of entry is not viable.

if that's what you meant by "entering at 5: xx4/urpriest"

normally, you can enter with xx5/urpriest.

the traditional means of entry is savage bard which I personally find a little blah, but you might well get use out of if you're going warlock and enjoy invocations with saves.

there is no way to enter ur-priest early without weirdness (e.g. do the wight thing, etc)

the warlock handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?265455-The-Newest-Warlock-Handbook-3-5) is an invaluable resource for what invocations to pick and how to get them operating at maximum efficacy.

I think that's everything. lmk if there's anything else you need help with

I see, thanks!

You can boost your blast damage with Hellfire Warlock. Warlock 4/Binder 1/Mindbender 1/Ur-Priest 2/Eldritch Disciple 9/ Hellfire Warlock 3 is one of my fave warlock builds.

oh yea, hellfire warlock. but doesnt that require effectively throwing away an invocation? especially a lesser one, considering that what seem to the more useful ones are in the lesser category (I found 3 least, 3 greater 3 dark invocations that I liked... and like 6 lesser ones...)
Is there any way to get more invocations?

Troacctid
2014-09-30, 10:52 AM
You can get more invocations with the Extra Invocation feat. There's also a magic item in Complete Mage that gives you a specific blast shape or eldritch essence invocation 3/day, similar to a metamagic rod.

Venger
2014-09-30, 10:53 AM
I see, thanks!
you're welcome

oh yea, hellfire warlock. but doesnt that require effectively throwing away an invocation? especially a lesser one, considering that what seem to the more useful ones are in the lesser category (I found 3 least, 3 greater 3 dark invocations that I liked... and like 6 lesser ones...)
Is there any way to get more invocations?
the "extra invocation" feat will get you another one. since many warlocks like dipping chameleon 2, that'll let you get a new one every day via your free-floating feat.

D4rkh0rus
2014-09-30, 11:14 AM
the "extra invocation" feat will get you another one. since many warlocks like dipping chameleon 2, that'll let you get a new one every day via your free-floating feat.

Hmm, Chameleon would set back both the divine portion and the warlock portion of the build. Is there any other way?

Snowbluff
2014-09-30, 11:39 AM
Ur Priests are not Atheists. The closest term is Alatrist. They know gods exist, but they don't worship them. In fact, their title implies they are the first class to draw magic from the gods. :smalltongue:

Doc_Maynot
2014-09-30, 11:43 AM
There is a magic item from Return to Castle Ravenloft called Codex Advocare (20,000gp, requires craft wondrous item and the ability to use invocations to craft on your own) that just gives you any least invocation when you read it. Not to mention Hellfire Warlock advances everything about warlock, including when they get invocations.

Troacctid
2014-09-30, 11:49 AM
Hmm, Chameleon would set back both the divine portion and the warlock portion of the build. Is there any other way?

Take the feat normally? It's a pretty decent feat. Even if all it does is make up for wasting an invocation to qualify for Hellfire Warlock--and it's not as if Brimstone Blast is a complete blank, since not all enemies resist fire and you never know when you'll want to burn down a building--the hellfire blast is still well worth a feat tax.

I think there's an obscure magic item from some module or other that gives you an extra least invocation, but I don't remember it's name. Maybe someone else does. Edit: Hey hey, Swordsaged! I knew someone would come through!

Kaje
2014-09-30, 02:34 PM
I think an ur-priest can afford to lose an invocation.

nolongerchaos
2014-09-30, 04:21 PM
If you're still trying to work out who to worship, I personally really like the flavor of an Ur Priest/Eldritch Disciple worshipping Sertrous, from Elder Evils. Sertrous is described as the being that first revealed that divine spells could be obtained without worshipping a god, which I feel is pretty synergistic fluff for a class that steals spells from the gods.

Plus there's even the extra bonus of getting some free Vile feats for worshipping an Elder Evil.