PDA

View Full Version : Grappling a mounted steed

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-03-14, 09:58 AM
Ok, in one of my games an ooze has just grabbed hold of a player's horse and is constricting.

So a question... Is the rider in any danger of taking damage? Such as the ooze shifts to cover over both? I mean, the saddle just liquified beneath him...

Jasdoif
2007-03-14, 11:43 AM
In order to constrict, the ooze would have to be in the mount's space. In order to be mounted, the rider would have to be in the mount's space.

Wouldn't the ooze be grappling with both of them at the same time?

Person_Man
2007-03-14, 12:38 PM
1) This is a very good question.

2) I don't know.

My guess is that since a Grapple is a melee attack, and you can only taget one enemy with each melee attack (unless there is an explicit exception), then the ooze can only grapple the mount (or the rider), and that the rider would have to make a Ride check or fall off while the ooze tries to consume the mount beneath him.

Golthur
2007-03-14, 02:25 PM
How many sizes bigger is the ooze than the mount/rider?

Steve_the_ERB
2007-03-14, 03:01 PM
Maybe something similar to a Trample. The rider can either take an attack as the ooze swallows the mount (and be grappled as well) or make a reflex save/ride check to quickly dismount.

JaronK
2007-03-14, 05:25 PM
The Ooze dies instantly due to the horse and rider being so very damn pretty. Then the Ooze reforms into the corpse of a Half Red Dragon 10 Headed Cryohyrdra, and drops 250gp in Onyxs at the rider's feat. Also, the rider gets 10000xp and the horse gets the Air Creature template.

What?

That's what happens, I swear.

JaronK

Diggorian
2007-03-14, 06:14 PM
Rider and mount are two different creatures, so one attack each. Ooze effects the mount only, until it tries to constrict the rider.

Double check here: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rules

Fizban
2007-03-14, 06:19 PM
I've wondered about this myself, though for different reasons. People like the idea of a Dire Tiger mount, but it uses improved grab as part of it's main attack pattern. So, what happens? I'm inclined to agree with the ride check idea. The DC to stay in saddle is 5 for if the mount bolts or you take damage, and 15 to negate damage from a fall. Maybe DC 20?