PDA

View Full Version : Optimization [3.5 Warlock] Eldritch Claws and Haste Question(s)

DonKalypso
2014-09-30, 10:57 AM
A friend of mine recently decided to run a Faerun game, and I've decided to make a warlock who'll eventually make use of Eldritch Claws as my main source of melee damage.

The DM's ruled I can't take the Claws until 6th level, we're currently 3, and right now I'm trying to figure out how to, perhaps eventually, give my character more than two attacks in a full round. I can't eventually take Rapidstrike, as I'm not an Elan, and I highly doubt the DM'll let me eventually grab Thayan Gladiator, so I'm looking to magic to grant me my extra attacks.

My question is thus: Would the spell Haste grant me an additional strike, and do y'all know of anything else I can do to add more?

Red Fel
2014-09-30, 11:02 AM
A friend of mine recently decided to run a Faerun game, and I've decided to make a warlock who'll eventually make use of Eldritch Claws as my main source of melee damage.

The DM's ruled I can't take the Claws until 6th level, we're currently 3, and right now I'm trying to figure out how to, perhaps eventually, give my character more than two attacks in a full round. I can't eventually take Rapidstrike, as I'm not an Elan, and I highly doubt the DM'll let me eventually grab Thayan Gladiator, so I'm looking to magic to grant me my extra attacks.

My question is thus: Would the spell Haste grant me an additional strike, and do y'all know of anything else I can do to add more?

If you're allowed to take Eldritch Claws, you should be allowed to take Beast Strike, as it's also from Dragon Magazine. Beast Strike requires +5 BAB and IUS, but you can get ahold of those fairly easily. What it does is this: Beast Strike adds your claw damage to your unarmed strikes.

Now, Eldritch Claws says that you gain two claw attacks which deal EB + unarmed damage. Beast Strike adds that damage to your unarmed strikes, meaning that your unarmed strikes now deal EB + unarmed + unarmed. Further, you can now add that damage to your iterative attacks (because unarmed strikes, unlike claws, can be iterative). That means you're no longer limited to only two attacks per round. It also means you can augment your unarmed attacks, as well as your EB, for even more damage boosts.

And now we're having fun. :smallamused:

Taveena
2014-09-30, 11:03 AM
The spell Haste would not, but the feat Beast Strike from Dragon Magazine would let you add your claw damage for free on any unarmed strike you make. In that case, you can make your unarmed strike iteratives(with a possible extra one from Haste) and then make two seperate Claw attacks as secondary weapons.

EDIT: First time I've been Swordsaged. Huh.

Red Fel
2014-09-30, 11:06 AM
The spell Haste would not, but the feat Beast Strike from Dragon Magazine would let you add your claw damage for free on any unarmed strike you make. In that case, you can make your unarmed strike iteratives(with a possible extra one from Haste) and then make two seperate Claw attacks as secondary weapons.

To be fair, you did raise a point I forgot to make - that you can tack on the claw attacks separate from the unarmed strikes on a full attack (as a secondary weapon at -5 to hit).

Seriously, though, Eldritch Claws and Beast Strike are basically paired all the time on Clawlock builds. It's just a thing, you know?

Necroticplague
2014-09-30, 11:07 AM

What race are you, per chance? That might help us figure out if you can finangle any type-changing feats to qualify for Rapidstrike. Your mention of Thayan Gladiator seems to indicate non-humanoid, combined with mention of rapidstrike seems to indicate some kinda monstrous humanoid.

That said, Haste would give you an extra claw attack. If you wanted more, you could use Beast Strike feat, which adds your claw damage to your unarmed strike, than attack with your unarmed strike while using your claws as secondary natural attacks. Which would allow you to get another "claw' by using Snap Kick. You could also wield a Scorpion Kama, which does the damage of your unarmed strike, use two-weapon fighting with it and your unarmed strike, and then your claws as secondaries. So even if you only have 3 actual claw attacks (claw/claw/haste), you do the claw's damage several times (kama/unarmed/snap kick/claw/claw/haste, each of which include your claw damage) over. This is before going deeper into the TWF tree, so there's some room to grow with this.

EDIT:dang swordsages, posting while I take forever to type stuff.

DonKalypso
2014-09-30, 11:10 AM
I'm a Fireblood Dwarf from the Smoking Mountains. I grabbed Martial Weapon Proficiency as my level 1 feat, and IUS for level 3 now. I've Eldritch Spear and Leaps and Bounds for my Invocations. I'll also be trying for using Wands for various things like healing, since our cleric's decided to roll up a fighter because he "Doesn't like spellcasters."

Snowbluff
2014-09-30, 11:35 AM
There is also the rapid strike line of feats.

IN that equipment? What's your init score like?! :smallconfused: