PDA

View Full Version : (3.5 + PF) Magic Item Crafting Questions

Kranchan
2014-09-30, 12:01 PM
So I've never crafted any magic items. I want to create a use continuous amulet of Enlarge Person. I have Craft Wondrous Item and I can cast Enlarge Person. If I understand the rules correctly this should cost me 1,000gp to make as the spell is first level x I am casting it at 1st level because higher levels don't make a difference x 2,000 gp MSRP. Is my understanding correct? Since it is a continuous item it just works all the time that it is worn?

Snowbluff
2014-09-30, 12:23 PM
I think there's a modifier on it. Since the spell is measured in minutes, you multiply it by 2, making the price 4kgp (2kgp cost to make).

Keep in mind that this is a general guideline. Since it alters your stats a lot, your DM may feel the need to compare it to an items that buffs Str/etc. Generally, I don't personally allow custom continuous magic items, and I don't assume them while giving advice. It is a pretty cost effective method, so I suggest making a whole while of other crap like this while the rule is in effect.

It works while you wear it.

EDIT: Oh, and FYI, you don't need to know the spell in PF.

Jeraa
2014-09-30, 12:39 PM
EDIT: Oh, and FYI, you don't need to know the spell in PF.

Correct. But it does increase the DC of the check to make the item if you don't have the spell.

Kranchan
2014-09-30, 01:04 PM
Oh also am I correct in assuming that the DC to create the item is 6? 5 + Caster Lvl 1.

Khosan
2014-09-30, 01:11 PM
I think there's a modifier on it. Since the spell is measured in minutes, you multiply it by 2, making the price 4kgp (2kgp cost to make).

I'd go with a charges per day item over a continuous one for this reason. Much cheaper and just as effective for the most part.

A custom magic item of Enlarge Person 3/day is just 1.2kgp, for example.

Kranchan
2014-09-30, 01:16 PM
I would do that but I need to confer the bonus to my eidolon so that it's ridable all the time. I suppose I could do command word though and shave off some of the cost.

Kranchan
2014-10-07, 04:18 PM
Ok I have another question about item creation. So I created an amulet of enlarge person with the on command rules so it should be 1 (spell level) x 1 (level spell was cast at) x 1,800gp = MSRP / 2 = 900gp materials to make the item. I looked through rules but I saw nothing about how many times it can be commanded per day. Is there a place that explicitly states this?

deuxhero
2014-10-07, 04:20 PM
You could take the Undersized Mount feat from ACG.

Diachronos
2014-10-07, 04:36 PM
As far as I know, there's no way going by RAW to make a magic item that would work on an Eidolon, since the Share Spells ability specifies that it only works on spells and not on abilities (pretty sure the effect of a magic item is considered an ability), and the only two spells capable of increasing something's size can't affect outsiders without using Share Spells.

Of course, that's strictly by RAW; your DM might give you a way to make it work, such as having you craft the item yourself.

Jeraa
2014-10-07, 05:13 PM
Ok I have another question about item creation. So I created an amulet of enlarge person with the on command rules so it should be 1 (spell level) x 1 (level spell was cast at) x 1,800gp = MSRP / 2 = 900gp materials to make the item. I looked through rules but I saw nothing about how many times it can be commanded per day. Is there a place that explicitly states this?

By default, an item has unlimited uses per day. That is why the pricing chart has specific entries for items with 50 charges, and items with charges per day.

Troacctid
2014-10-07, 06:44 PM
If it helps, enlarge person can be made permanent with permanency at a cost of 2500 gp (PF) or 500 xp (3.5); in either system, that's 3040 gp if you hire an NPC spellcaster to cast both spells. This is better than a magic item in that it can't be lost or stolen, but worse in that a single dispel magic removes it forever.

You can't enlarge person an eidolon at all, though, can you? They're outsiders, not humanoids, so they're invalid targets.

Diachronos
2014-10-07, 07:13 PM
You can't enlarge person an eidolon at all, though, can you? They're outsiders, not humanoids, so they're invalid targets.

Technically you can't, but Summoners and their Eidolons have the same Share Spell ability as animal companions and familiars, where you can target your eidolon/familiar/animal companion with spells that wouldn't normally be able to target it.

The OP's main issue was finding a way to do this with a magic item, since RAW they wouldn't benefit from that Share Spell bonus.

Kranchan
2014-10-07, 09:42 PM
It's mostly because I can't afford a continuous item of enlarge because the DM is super stingy on money. Seriously we're all level 4 and have maybe 2,000gp worth of money and items each.